• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

MBison

Question:

Sorry for hijacking thread as I could probably find this answer elsewhere but just wanted to ask...

My daughter is getting into pc gaming and I use my steam account to download my games onto her pc. But since it's my account we can't play on steam at the same time. If I try to play in my computer at the some time it tells me another computer is logged in. Is there no family sharing plan for steam or is the only recourse to make a new account and buy games again?

Thanks!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hardcastlemccormick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl -- MB-FE036DD62546FF0A - Taken by nightstorm

Noot noot

Backlogger

It shows as "Skara Starter Package" in my account history, also if you click on the game on blinkbundle it mentions "The bundle includes the Starter Package".

Ah, you are right, I didn't catch that. Thanks!

Question:

Sorry for hijacking thread as I could probably find this answer elsewhere but just wanted to ask...

My daughter is getting into pc gaming and I use my steam account to download my games onto her pc. But since it's my account we can't play on steam at the same time. If I try to play in my computer at the some time it tells me another computer is logged in. Is there no family sharing plan for steam or is the only recourse to make a new account and buy games again?

Thanks!

I actually started a second steam account a while back that I am eventually going to give to my son (he is only 6 right now). I've started to load it with cheap games or bundle duplicates, mostly focusing on co-op multiplayer games where the Steam Sharing wouldn't work out. Since I don't let him play too much yet on the PC I haven't stressed about it too much yet but he already has games like Terraria, Sonic Racing Transformed and a few others.

Question:

Thanks!

Pretty much.

Kifimbo

Question:

Thanks!

http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

madjoki

Question:

Thanks!

There is family sharing, but it still prevents from playing from two accounts at the same time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Question:

Thanks!

There is "Steam Family Sharing", but that still only allows one person to use your library at a time (she can't play a game while you're playing a game). This just allows her to play your games without your friends messaging her thinking it's you, and allows her to earn her own Steam achievements and leaderboard rankings.

If you want to play co-op together, she'll need her own Steam account and copy of the game.

Question:

Thanks!

There is family sharing, however it's very limited. It shares your whole library, so when she would start playing something and at the same time you'd also want to play something from your account she'll get kicked.

Pakkidis

Hopefully I did this right. Bought 2 bundles yesterday...Got some extra keys for all of you.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Pakkidis:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pakkidis, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Whispered World: Special Edition -- MB-6373258411FD49F5 - Taken by DarkMehm. 5 entrants total.
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror -- MB-B245B9432EFB0FB8 - Taken by roadrunn3r. 2 entrants total.

t1418166155z1.png

Asgaro

True, I guess people have also been kinda trained to look there as well. I'll mock it up and see how it looks.

EDIT: like this?

eCTQPmj.png

You should add more special thingies for people who donate. ;)

We now get a badge, and that's nice, but could you add more visual features?

I'm aware that this would mean the extension could become freemium but if you only stick to visual features, not functional features I think it would work out without angering people.

--

Regarding which visual features: I dunno at the moment... but I assume you can change the layout completely with HTML and CSS, so there aren't really limits to layout since the Steam API doesn't have an effect on the layout?

Annubis

Regarding which visual features: I dunno at the moment... but I assume you can change the layout completely with HTML and CSS, so there aren't really limits to layout since the Steam API doesn't have an effect on the layout?

Every 10$+ donation allows other Enhanced Steam users to see catgirls doing cute things on your profile page.

100$+ for Milamber special

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You should add more special thingies for people who donate. ;)

We now get a badge, and that's nice, but could you add more visual features?

I'm aware that this would mean the extension could become freemium but if you only stick to visual features, not functional features I think it would work out without angering people.

--

Actually, the philosophy I've had from the beginning is to not lock functionality behind a paywall. For example, giving profile badges to people who donate. People without the badges on their profile aren't prevented from doing anything differently than those that do.

Creating a "freemium" version of Enhanced Steam creates a lot of headaches like "how does the extension know you're eligible to use this premium feature?" and "what's to prevent someone from modifying their own version of Enhanced Steam to enable that premium feature without paying?". Monetizing open-source software has always been a tricky proposition.

That said, I'm sure I'll have more opportunities to get new Enhanced Steam Supporter badges in the near future!

For humble bundles that contain multiple keys, if you buy one as a gift, can the receiver still gift away individual games within or will they be forced to redeem everything to a single account?

Thorgal

Speaking of modding skyrim, everytime i look at my or somebody else's modded game i am wondering how well the vanilla version of Fallout 4 / Elder scrolls 6 will stack up to it .

and secondly , how hard my eyeballs will melt once Boris and the Modding comunity get their groove on .

Some of my shots :

And a few of Unreals shots ( also in the screenshot thread )

Isthisreallife. jpg

Its very easy if you just stick to the Steam Workshop mods.

True, but most of the good stuff is found on the Nexus.
There's a mod manager for it.

Played about an hour of Demonicon. It's sufficiently dark and disturbing enough.
I had to laugh at all the discussion over the sister's virginity though.

WOTS4 is awesome, though very much a grind if you want all of the trophies.

Asgaro

Every 10$+ donation allows other Enhanced Steam users to see catgirls doing cute things on your profile page.

100$+ for Milamber special

Haha! But yeah, stuff like that. As long as it makes people happy.

I think it would encourage people to donate to him...
Since, I just went through my Steam friends list (doable since it's not that big; if anyone wants to add me, feel free to do so lol!) and from the people I know from Neogaf, I checked their profile.

Only 2 in around 15 persons have the badge, I noticed... And 1 of those 2 is JShackles himself lol so he doesn't count.
I mean, we all spend quite a sum of money on games. I think it would be nice to give something back to JShackles who's extension is so useful to most/all of us.

(The other person that has a badge is milena87, so props to him/her!
e45e326c99c1cf64ab9b0f680132aaa93a8a422b_full.jpg

)

Speaking of modding skyrim, everytime i look at my or somebody else's modded game i am wondering how well the vanilla version of Fallout 4 / Elder scrolls 6 will stack up to it .

and secondly , how hard my eyeballs will melt once Boris and the Modding comunity get their groove on .

I've mentioned this before, but anyone who wants to see what the Elder Scrolls 6 should look like has to play The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Screenshots just cannot do it justice. One has to play the game to truly appreciate just how beautiful it is.

Thorgal

I've mentioned this before, but anyone who wants to see what the Elder Scrolls 6 should look like has to play The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Screenshots just cannot do it justice. One has to play the game to truly appreciate just how beautiful it is.

Someone remind me to buy that during the next steam sales .

Speevy

Banned
I am giving away five games! They're all taken right from the Humble sale that's running right now. What are they? You'll just have to find out.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

tSosaRZ.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-79D559FBBA2F7FE4 - Taken by The Red Wizard. 82 entrants total.

t1418243375z1.png

Jawmuncher

Haha! But yeah, stuff like that. As long as it makes people happy.

I think it would encourage people to donate to him...
Since, I just went through my Steam friends list (doable since it's not that big; if anyone wants to add me, feel free to do so lol!) and from the people I know from Neogaf, I checked their profile.

Only 2 in around 15 persons have the badge, I noticed... And 1 of those 2 is JShackles himself lol so he doesn't count.
I mean, we all spend quite a sum of money on games. I think it would be nice to give something back to JShackles who's extension is so useful to most/all of us.

(The other person that has a badge is milena87, so props to him/her!
e45e326c99c1cf64ab9b0f680132aaa93a8a422b_full.jpg

)

Bronze tier representing

Asgaro

Actually, the philosophy I've had from the beginning is to not lock functionality behind a paywall. For example, giving profile badges to people who donate. People without the badges on their profile aren't prevented from doing anything differently than those that do.

Creating a "freemium" version of Enhanced Steam creates a lot of headaches like "how does the extension know you're eligible to use this premium feature?" and "what's to prevent someone from modifying their own version of Enhanced Steam to enable that premium feature without paying?". Monetizing open-source software has always been a tricky proposition.

That said, I'm sure I'll have more opportunities to get new Enhanced Steam Supporter badges in the near future!

That are indeed things to consider and should all be well thought out...

Well, if you ever happen to change your mind, I'll be there. :)
(I know you have Patreon but that's a bit of a step too far for me. I prefer fixed one-time donations.)

Example of a visual feature:
Allow to go through a user's screenshots on his/her profile page with an easy slider like this one:
image_slider_web_part_for_sharepoint-363807-1273297601.jpeg

Sini

Usually I would agree with simple: but this style (icons, text size, text color, etc) is representative of how these users are portrayed in SteamRep. I'm not trying to confuse people into thinking that these users have a VAC ban.
Perhaps have a separator when user already has VAC ban and when they don't... I doubt anyone would confuse scammer text to longer VAC ban text even at glance. (Profile description area is entirely different story because that has always been user customizable.)
dnVK2.jpg

I even used orange-ish color that's muted like already existing red.

jshackles

That are indeed things to consider and should all be well thought out...

Well, if you ever happen to change your mind, I'll be there. :)
(I know you have Patreon but that's a bit of a step too far for me. I prefer fixed one-time donations.)

Example of a visual feature:
Allow to go through a user's screenshots on his/her profile page with an easy slider

I guess my problem is that if I were to take the time to develop such a feature, I'd want everyone to be able to use it regardless of whether or not they supported Enhanced Steam financially.

For a while I toyed with the idea of having "supporter only profile backgrounds" in the custom profile background selection screen. This would be something more like what I'd like to do: everyone can use the custom profile background feature, but people that donate have more options than what are available on the Steam marketplace. The problem here is that I can't use any copyrighted content in these backgrounds, so they can't really be based on particular games. If I did, it could be considered that I'm using copyrighted works to "promote my product" and there could be some legal issues with doing so.

Either way, Enhanced Steam has been doing very well lately thanks to the fine people in this thread and elsewhere who have donated or made monthly donation pledges. So thank you again to everyone who has ever donated - without you Enhanced Steam simply couldn't be what it is today.

For humble bundles that contain multiple keys, if you buy one as a gift, can the receiver still gift away individual games within or will they be forced to redeem everything to a single account?

Yes, you can gift away individual games within a bundle (except for the really early Humble Bundles).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
"Milamber is now playing Sexy Beach 3 PLUS"

never change! :p

ExoSoul

Banned
Dammit, I only have 85 games and I'm already suffering from the "I don't know what to play" syndrome. I just stare at the list thinking "Yeah, I could finish this one I guess" until I glance at another title I could finish but don't even launch...

What have you done to me?! D=

Enco

GMod and Insurgency keep freezing for a few seconds and my sound loops.

It's really frustrating.

Anyone know what's going on?

Top Bottom