• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

MUnited83

For you.
Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 7.2. I know I said 7.1 would be the last release of the year, but I lied. ;) This release includes the following changes:
  • Added Newegg and GamesRepublic to the price history lookups
  • Added SteamRep status to user's profiles
  • Added button to "1-Click" turning inventory items to Gems (be careful!)
  • Added a search filter that hides games without discounts
  • Added a feature that hides empty inventory tabs (thanks zillazillaaaa!)
  • Added an option to show "Compare" links on friend activity page (disabled by default)
  • Fixed a bug in currency detection for booster pack prices
  • Removed library functionality due to API changes made by Valve
This update is available for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera browsers. Opera users will need to wait until the submitted version has been approved

As always, please let me know if you encounter any issues with this release.
Any ETA on the update for standalone?

Hinomura

It definitely looks like something to get only if you're trying to have a SHMUP collection on Steam

I love shmup (heck, I'm even - trying - to make one myself!)!

But the gameplay movies I saw aren't really so exciting.. I hope playing it is more enjoyable ^__^

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Any ETA on the update for standalone?

I'm working on porting most of these features into the Standalone, but it's also in a weird spot right now where I'm also fixing up some of the back-end proxy code as well as adding some option settings into the launcher.

Hopefully I'll have something put together soon for the Standalone users.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so why cant people that won a game earlier enter for unclaimed games if I set the giveaway for multientry? shouldnt the 15min cooldown be over by now? what gives?

yes. i crafted a badge a few hours ago and got a winter card.
thanks. gonna craft then. holy smokes. I amassed over ten whole sets!
gonna jump at least 3-4 levels. don't care about that but the friend slots -_-

besides that. is it now a good time to buy cards to complete sets or should I wait till gems+booster crafting is back again?

Momentary

Banned
Are there any other SHMUPs planned for future Steam releases. I think the greatest ones this year are:

Crimzon Clover
Ikaruga
Danmaku Unlimited
Astebreed
Revolver360

In that order.

There's an RPG type SHMUP on the horizon called Drifting Lands. It's currently free to tryout on Steam. It's in its early stages, but so far I like the concept and the art direction. Can't wait to see how this turns out further down the road.

Chariot

Wow gaming side is legit shook over that Eurogamer preorder video

Press sneak fucks ruining muh hype train
Love some of the YouTube comments

jkE417MMa2XBF.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks for another update! So what's the "be careful" for?

Well, when the holiday auction stuff goes live again - there will be two buttons in the "holiday" section when you click on an item in your inventory: "Turn into gems" and "1-Click Turn into gems". The regular one "Turn into gems" has you go through 3 different dialog boxes to confirm that you know what you're doing. The "1-click turn into gems" button won't give you a confirmation box or any additional clicks. It'll turn the item into gems and reload your inventory.

I turned over 150 profile backgrounds into gems last night, this feature could have saved me about 450 clicks.

someone needs to tell that one guy that the industry went a good 25 years or so without preorders and it not only didn't die but it continued to grow at an steady and healthy rate.

derExperte

50 minute video about KF2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrvdjrVSUmQ And as always don't read the comments.

CBOAT got banned for like 5 months in that thread. There are definitely casualties.

Amusingly enough not one single ban happened in the Killer Instinct thread despite tons of shitposts and even bish coming in there for a second and calling out two posters. So if you want to troll, do it in PC threads and be safe.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950824

'War... war never changes.' - Captain Price, Medal of Honor
Why do so many on gaf overhype and treat games like the second coming?
Why do so many think each exclusive has to be teh best omg!11!!!

You set yourself only up for disappointment. Always set the bar low. As low as can be.

Some of the best times with games I had, were the ones I didn't know jack about or thought to be utter crap.

Not every game has to reinvent the wheel or revolutionize the way we play.
It is absolutely fine for a game to be the same with a bit more fluff.

live_on_this_planet_futurama.gif

And to be perfectly frank, Order 1886 never looked good.

i'd argue that the only thing the Order 1886 had going for it is that it literally looks good. outside of that, it reeks of something you'd buy in the first year of a console and enjoy that it looks amazing, letting the other shortcomings not get to you because it's wowing the fuck out of you.

It's what i call The Bouncer Effect, and Ryse was that for the XB1. The Order is looking like the PS4 version of The Bouncer Effect, at least from all i've read and seen of it.

chronomac

I'm not really sure what people saw in The Order. It looks great, sure, but every bit of the gameplay I've seen makes that game look linear and boring. I just think it looks like a game that desperately wants to be a movie. The black bars that give it that wide, "cinematic" aspect ratio (2.35:1 or so) sort of tell you everything you need to know.

And that's not to say a game can't look like a movie, but it needs some sort of mechanical hook to make it interesting. In its current state it's anything but that.

Hinomura

Are there any other SHMUPs planned for future Steam releases. I think the greatest ones this year are...

Sadly I'm not very informed about future releases...

By the way, since it seems you have a sweet spot for shmup, I'd like to advise you an underrated little game (which has been in about a thousand bundles): Syder Arcade - http://store.steampowered.com/app/252310/

In my first play I looked down at it, probably because it wasn't what I was expecting... but later I gave it another chance and I spent about six enjoyable hours - story mode is short, but it has a good choice of score modes with leaderboards.

Try it if you have the chance ^___^

tmarg

It's what i call The Bouncer Effect, and Ryse was that for the XB1. The Order is looking like the PS4 version of The Bouncer Effect, at least from all i've read and seen of it.

Except The Order is coming out more than a year after launch, I think the window for tech demo games doing well has closed.

didamangi

I'm not really sure what people saw in The Order. It looks great, sure, but every bit of the gameplay I've seen makes that game look linear and boring. I just think it looks like a game that desperately wants to be a movie. The black bars that give it that wide, "cinematic" aspect ratio (2.35:1 or so) sort of tell you everything you need to know.

Kinda funny that next gen is getting more "cinematic" games, I guess the next step is 24 fps, yeah?

I wonder if the game scales properly on a 21:9 monitor. I think Evil Within doesn't on PC without using flawless widescreen.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wow journalists were on point about Alien: Isolation being way too long. I'm not even going out of my way to explore and I'm still at almost 18 hours on the last chapter. I would have preferred it end around 10 for my play speed.

Arthea

I was rewatching Metal Hurlant Chronicles and that opening has to be the best thing ever to grace TV or what? I so want a game made in this style, narrator included (><)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v_bAnNYliQ
blame valve for this post, I would go to sleep but they'll launch bloody gem crafting while I sleep and remove the moment I wake up, so I'm not sleeping!

AHA-Lambda

Except The Order is coming out more than a year after launch, I think the window for tech demo games doing well has closed.

With a disappointing first year critically for both next gen systems and no killer exclusives yet I think that window just got extended =/

Order 1886 will be the next Killzone Shadowfall i.e. it'll look gorgeous but be shite in bed where it counts.

Kanokare

Well, when the holiday auction stuff goes live again - there will be two buttons in the "holiday" section when you click on an item in your inventory: "Turn into gems" and "1-Click Turn into gems". The regular one "Turn into gems" has you go through 3 different dialog boxes to confirm that you know what you're doing. The "1-click turn into gems" button won't give you a confirmation box or any additional clicks. It'll turn the item into gems and reload your inventory.

I turned over 150 profile backgrounds into gems last night, this feature could have saved me about 450 clicks.

Oh right. Thanks everyone for explaining!

Maniac

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Maniac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gun Monkeys -- MB-C8933D87F8BC8C3E

t1418420267z1.png

Guess the lurkers win. Here, you dirty, dirty people!

Arthea

With a disappointing first year critically for both next gen systems and no killer exclusives yet I think that window just got extended =/

Order 1886 will be the next Killzone Shadowfall i.e. it'll look gorgeous but be shite in bed where it counts.

I'm not sure Order is a killer exclusive,
while The Last Guardian still exist (><)

I was going to return to Alien now that they released the Novice difficulty mode but you guys are really making me back away slowly.

The one thing i'll say about that article: now you know why publishers would rather not let anyone play their games early and hold them till launch. It's a lose lose for most games, in that if you don't show the game off then it's assumed that it's a steaming turd that you're hiding from the media but if you do, you run the risk of your unfinished game getting shat on and now you're working against those impressions.

regardless, you really shouldn't ever get a game on day one or preorder a game because, as a consumer, you're almost always working against your best interests by doing so with very few exceptions.

? I've been on Normal and been pretty fine so far :p

I got super annoyed at replaying a section in mission five or six like 5 times and making 0 progress while each time took like 15-20 minutes. I just turned it off, it got real tiresome to have the alien kill me so often to the point of frustration.

_hekk05

Banned
Wait cboat got banned? What for?

Also lol @ Eurogamer's article. Dozens of games you could have picked to tell everyone nt to preorder (or even all of them), and you specifically target the one that's going to generate the worst shitstorm

fucking clickbaiting assholes

Also lol @ Eurogamer's article. Dozens of games you could have picked to tell everyone nt to preorder (or even all of them), and you specifically target the one that's going to generate the worst shitstorm

he leaked that the diff between Xbone and PS4 was only 10k, which derailed the first 20 pages or so of the thread. Apparently that information was made up.

Toki767

Implying the difference in sales for Xbox One and Ps4 in November was 7-10K.

It did feel odd though because that was the only time he typed regularly. What he probably meant though was that the LTD difference in the US was like 710K, which it is I think.

Dr Dogg

Kinda funny that next gen is getting more "cinematic" games, I guess the next step is 24 fps, yeah?

I wonder if the game scales properly on a 21:9 monitor. I think Evil Within doesn't on PC without using flawless widescreen.

Seeing as a PS4 outputs only 16:9 or 4:3 resolutions (in fact I'm not even sure about 4:3) and no higher than 1920x1080 it's going to be window boxed. You could scale the image to fit the canvas area but that's going to look hideous.

The Evil Within on PS4 and Xbox One would be exactly the same as neither supports a 21:9 aspect ratio or display resolution but on PC with the help of widescreen fixer that isn't an issue (well unless the last patch screwed that up again).

I know I'm going to crumble sooner rather than later and the 21:9 monitor I've been coveting has slowly been coming down in price. Granted I'd have to sell a kidney to pick one up.

_hekk05

Banned
Implying the difference in sales for Xbox One and Ps4 in November was 7-10K.

It did feel odd though because that was the only time he typed regularly. What he probably meant though was that the LTD difference in the US was like 710K, which it is I think.

Woah. xbone won npd by 710k?? That's pretty sick

Them discounts were pretty deep though

Top Bottom