• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Speevy

Banned
You shouldn't count on there being many foils. You should think about the combined selling price of individual cards vs. the price of a booster. Compare them. Sell whichever is great.

MUnited83

For you.
With the money I got back, my total profit is 11 euros steam wallet+many badges done and some extra cards. Thanks Valve! Sucks I didnt get gems back from boosters like some here did, but oh well.

Ruruja

With the money I got back, my total profit is 11 euros steam wallet+many badges done and some extra cards. Thanks Valve! Sucks I didnt get gems back from boosters like some here did, but oh well.

I got nothing for being a good boy, so next time I'm definitely going to cheat the system - it seems the way to go.

StAidan

I am now in the process of converting 100 backgrounds and emoticons into 10,000 gems... goodness, I wish I could do more than one at a time.

So, back to buying cheap backgrounds and making uguu~ boosters?

I got nothing for being a good boy, so next time I'm definitely going to cheat the system - it seems the way to go.

image.php

Nete

I am now in the process of converting 100 backgrounds and emoticons into 10,000 gems... goodness, I wish I could do more than one at a time.

Use some sorcery:

Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 7.2. I know I said 7.1 would be the last release of the year, but I lied. ;) This release includes the following changes:
  • Added Newegg and GamesRepublic to the price history lookups
  • Added SteamRep status to user's profiles
    [*] Added button to "1-Click" turning inventory items to Gems (be careful!)
  • Added a search filter that hides games without discounts
  • Added a feature that hides empty inventory tabs (thanks zillazillaaaa!)
  • Added an option to show "Compare" links on friend activity page (disabled by default)
  • Fixed a bug in currency detection for booster pack prices
  • Removed library functionality due to API changes made by Valve
This update is available for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera browsers. Opera users will need to wait until the submitted version has been approved

As always, please let me know if you encounter any issues with this release.

Lomax

There's lots and lots of stuff out there worth 80 gems that costs 3 cents. The stuff worth 100 gems is mostly gone now, but an 80 gem item for 3 cents is better than a 100 gem item for 4 cents (your particular exchange rate may vary though of course).

_hekk05

Banned
Just curious, why the focus on Guarded? Every CS GO/TF2/DOTA2 emoticon or background is worth 100 gems.

B is actually more expensive. As well as more offers for 4 cents than 3 cents.

This steam market shit is interdasting as fuck. Economists could write books based on this shit

derExperte

Just curious, why the focus on Guarded? Every CS GO/TF2/DOTA2 emoticon or background is worth 100 gems.

That's the item I made my millions of gems with yesterday so it still has my attention and it had the biggest number available at 3 cents when everything started.

Ruruja

I can't remember what generally happens, but do the Holiday cards crash in price towards the end of the sale or rise? I usually get them done swiftly, but plan on waiting until the final day this time.

Copons

I've been eagerly reading every single gems-related post you wrote in the last couple of days but no matter what, I've yet to understand every single thing you say.

Like, you buy a background for 3 cents, convert it to 100 gems, and then? Use those gems to craft a booster pack, unpack and sell it possibly for more money than you needed to get enough gems to craft it?

It's all so convoluted.
Why don't they just credit a tenner to my wallet and call it a day?

I can't remember what generally happens, but do the Holiday cards crash in price towards the end of the sale or rise? I usually get them done swiftly, but plan on waiting until the final day this time.

They're the highest at the beginning. The general trend is downwards.
what's the easiest easy way to figure out the most valued booster packs? I remember some link floating around yesterday.

http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?boosterprices

Toki767

Yes. They'll probably be under 10 cents per card by the end of the sale.

chronomac

Like, you buy a background for 3 cents, convert it to 100 gems, and then? Use those gems to craft a booster pack, unpack and sell it possibly for more money than you needed to get enough gems to craft it?

That or use the gems at the auction to get games (theoretically) cheaper.

I also think there's a hope of getting a foil (1 of 100 or so) and getting even more gems.

yuraya

I've been eagerly reading every single gems-related post you wrote in the last couple of days but no matter what, I've yet to understand every single thing you say.

It's all so convoluted.
Why don't they just credit a tenner to my wallet and call it a day?

Yea pretty much. But yesterday was crazier because you could have bought 1k gems for 3 cents. Crafted booster packs worth like 10-20 times as much depending on the game and sold them for massive profits instantly. Today Valve has made the Sacks unmarketable tho. RIP Glorious 3 cent gem sacks :(

Abhor

Ugh, I should've made more boosters instead of sitting on my gems. Oh well, made a profit and still have a bunch of boosters that have doubled in value.

jmizzal

This may seem like a dumb question but

Are you able to use mods on games you own from Steam?

Like I want to put the NCAA Basketball mod somebody created on my NBA 2K14 steam game

It seems like there's some games you can't make boosters for even though they have cards. I was hoping to make a booster for No More Room in Hell, but it doesn't seem to be on the list.

Lomax

First day is always the highest price. They decline in lockstep with the free cards people get from voting. The best time to do it is probably the day before the last day, as sometimes there's a bump up on the last day due to last minute crafting.

All of those things are dependent on the event of course though. During the summer they peaked at about 45 cents each and bottomed out at about 15 cents each. The winter before, the market broke and some sold for over a dollar each on the first day (won't happen this time, there's no conversion), but they bottomed out below 10 cents each because the event didn't sustain demand as much.

tl;dr - sell in the first hours of the first day, sell for the first few days you get them in the sale, and don't craft before the middle of the sale unless there's some other motivation to do so.

Yea pretty much. But yesterday was crazier because you could have bought 1k gems for 3 cents. Crafted booster packs worth like 10-20 times as much depending on the game and sold them for massive profits instantly. Today Valve has made the Sacks unmarketable tho. RIP Glorious 3 cent gem sacks :(

Marketable or not, the sacks will never be 3 cents again, that was caused by the duping.

So what does crafting the holiday badge give you? FAQ doesn't say anything unless I'm blind.

Right now, backgrounds and emoticons. This is the first time you could craft the actual badge before the sale started. I wouldn't recommend doing so though, because you're probably missing out on whatever event related bonus there will be.

Top Bottom