• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

I was pretty disappointed that the essentially worthless items I've gotten from crafting holiday badges in the past for games I'll never play can't be turned into gems.

Coreda

I wonder if the gems thing is the reason why I've sold more things in the last day or so than normal. Must be encouraging people to buy as well.

Chariot

Let the min-maxing begin

rtphpt.png

hue
That don't works since the prices fall and people don't buy shit. I have like 5 euro of value on the market, but sold like 20 cent. People don't buy shit. I should make some season-pass model.

That don't works since the prices fall and people don't buy shit. I have like 5 euro of value on the market, but sold like 20 cent. People don't buy shit. I should make some season-pass model.

Get rid of your stuff by listing at the price of the highest buy order. Otherwise you will sell pretty much nothing.

AsylumX

NOTE: On Thursday Dec 11th we had an issue with Gems that meant we needed to reset the Auction and start over. We apologize for the interruption. Any placed bids will need to be placed again.

All Gems created by you have been returned to your Inventory
All Gem purchases from the Community Market have been reimbursed. View your Store Transactions to see the Wallet Credit to your account.
All previous Auction bids have been canceled and the Auction has been reset.
Additionally, anyone who traded away items in exchange for Steam Gems on the first day of bidding will receive a copy of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in their Inventory

Now i wish i traded at lest 1 sacks... tough luck...

_hekk05

Banned
!!!!!

I bought backgrounds at 4 cents each. They now sell at 6 cents each.

When they get to 7, you're earning 1 cent per background

#SteamMarketSimulator2014

It's currently on sale for $.99!

I was pretty disappointed that the essentially worthless items I've gotten from crafting holiday badges in the past for games I'll never play can't be turned into gems.

it's 0.99€

Well, you know what they say, nothing beats free :p

Can't justify buying a game I know I won't play anytime soon when I have a big backlog, even for 0.99

I haven't caught that Steam bug just yet.

DarKshodaN

I guess the gem prices will be really high for Games in the first Round, i stopped bidding for now and just see what happens in the next Round.

10 cents profit for your effort. Seems like the market will stabilize pretty quickly once the novelty wears off.

Yeah, like usual the big gold rush is aready almost over. I doubt there will be a lot of money to be made after the weekend, or at least none that is worth the effort.

SmithnCo

I guess the gem prices will be really high for Games in the first Round, i stopped bidding for now and just see what happens in the next Round.

Will they be restarting bidding every 45 minutes or just rolling to the next highest bidder? If the latter it would kinda suck.

derExperte

!!!!!

I bought backgrounds at 4 cents each. They now sell at 6 cents each.

When they get to 7, you're earning 1 cent per background

#SteamMarketSimulator2014

I have a few Guarded backgrounds left in my inventory, let's see where we'll end up.

Will they be restarting bidding every 45 minutes or just rolling to the next highest bidder? If the latter it would kinda suck.

See the FAQ on the auction page, everything's explained there. They carry over.

chronomac

I think some, if not all, the booster packs are dynamically priced to coincide with items that cost $.03 to purchase and reap 80 gems.

Awesomenauts costs 429 gems per booster pack. At the rate of 80 gems for $0.03, that comes out to $0.16 for a booster pack. The lowest price of a booster pack on the market? $0.16. The average trading card price for Awesomenauts? $0.05 per card, which sold 3 times means you're losing a penny per pack. Granted, if you get a foil then you can make gems, I'm just not sure how much.

They all don't come out that cleanly, but many do and some are worse (for the person trying to sell).

Dr Dogg

Well I have a quick faff around with Temple of Osiris (it's alright, as puzzly as GoL and has some hefty performance requirements) and find I've sold 65p's worth of junk. Crazy days.

Also catching up with that The Order thread makes the whole ordeal, from reveal, to this event, even more than likely to release and reviews reads like some very bizare satire on the industry as it is right now.

_hekk05

Banned
Reminder that certain emoticons also give you 80 cents and some of them are still selling for 3 cents

Ones I've found:
Spelunky
Risk of Rain
Portal 2
Natural Selection 2
Monaco
Magicka
L4D2
Loren the amazon princess
Euro Truck sim
FTL
COD BLOPS II
Antichamber

Hm, so aren't prices likely to stay the same or go up?

I have a feeling the discounts from bidding will be lackluster for most stuff.

Yeah I think so as well, but we'll see. You might have good chances bidding on the smaller games, some didn't even have 30 bids yet. On the bigger stuff, no chance.

So should I keep my 18,000 gems or blow them all on booster packs?

EDIT: I should mention that I already sold all of my high-value packs. This is purely to get cards to turn into badges.

Lomax

I think some, if not all, the booster packs are dynamically priced to coincide with items that cost $.03 to purchase and reap 80 gems.

Awesomenauts costs 429 gems per booster pack. At the rate of 80 gems for $0.03, that comes out to $0.16 for a booster pack. The lowest price of a booster pack on the market? $0.16. The average trading card price for Awesomenauts? $0.05 per card, which sold 3 times means you're losing a penny per pack. Granted, if you get a foil then you can make gems, I'm just not sure how much.

They all don't come out that cleanly, but many do and some are worse (for the person trying to sell).

The gem cost of the boosters scales based on the number of cards in the set. The more cards in a set, the more drop, generally pushing the market price lower. It's not coincidence, but the price consideration is market driven, not by design.

Can anyone give me just simple answer?

Is there any real profit?

Not really worth the hassle for the small return.

So should I keep my 18,000 gems or blow them all on booster packs?

EDIT: I should mention that I already sold all of my high-value packs. This is purely to get cards to turn into badges.

I'm planning on using mine for boosters on badges I'd like to make as well.

_hekk05

Banned
Can anyone give me just simple answer?

Is there any real profit?

As backgrounds and emoticons supply starts to fall, their prices will rise.
As card supply increases, their prices will fall.
Eventually, there will be next to no profit on crafting boosters.
However, if you craft them enough, you might get a foil, and that's where your main source of profit comes from.

TL;DR: If you want to do it, do it now. Craft enough to get a foil and you've got a profit.

Is it worth the time? HELL NO LOL

Is it interesting and amusing? HELL YEAH LOL

Another tactic is to buy up all the 80 gem 3 cent emoticons/backgrounds on the market right now. If they rise to above 6 cents, you're making a profit selling each of them.

Top Bottom