• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

_hekk05

Banned
How much gem per buck is considered a good deal?
I found a background that sells for 3 cents and gives 80 gems. Is that good?

Assuming a booster crafting price of 1000 gems, and a background price of 5 cents,

1 booster pack = 50 cents = 3 cards.

Assuming you craft waifu cards worth 30 cents each, you can earn 40 cents per craft.

excel spreadsheet just because we min maxing this shit

Copons

That or use the gems at the auction to get games (theoretically) cheaper.

I also think there's a hope of getting a foil (1 of 100 or so) and getting even more gems.

Yea pretty much. But yesterday was crazier because you could have bought 1k gems for 3 cents. Crafted booster packs worth like 10-20 times as much depending on the game and sold them for massive profits instantly. Today Valve has made the Sacks unmarketable tho. RIP Glorious 3 cent gem sacks :(

So much work.
No wonder only the proud and rigorous German people could effectively do this stuff.

jmizzal

re-posting for the new page

This may seem like a dumb question but

Are you able to use mods on games you own from Steam?

Like I want to put the NCAA Basketball mod somebody created on my NBA 2K14 steam game

Lomax

Do you guys open the waifu boosters or sell them as it is?
Looks like booster prices droping really fast.

Open if you want an instant sale as most of the booster pack buy orders are long gone but there's still some decent buy orders on cards and a foil hit is a gold mine. But act quick, that window is closing rapidly.

Copons

re-posting for the new page

This may seem like a dumb question but

Are you able to use mods on games you own from Steam?

Like I want to put the NCAA Basketball mod somebody created on my NBA 2K14 steam game

Don't know about that game and mod, but when it comes to modding, Steam games are the same deal as non-Steam games. Basically, the only thing that changes is the install folder. :D

Darkroronoa

Open if you want an instant sale as most of the booster pack buy orders are long gone but there's still some decent buy orders on cards and a foil hit is a gold mine. But act quick, that window is closing rapidly.

Thanks for the hints! I open them for foils anyway xD

Well one of my boosters went from $0.94 as the lowest selling price to $0.83 in about ten minutes. The devaluation of this stuff is only happening because sellers keep undercutting each other.

Neat, I can still play Temple of Osiris even though it has been revoked. I guess it's because I haven't restarted Steam and haven't accepted the message saying it's been removed from my library.

Lomax

Well one of my boosters went from $0.94 as the lowest selling price to $0.83 in about ten minutes. The devaluation of this stuff is only happening because sellers keep undercutting each other.

Right now you can make a card for any game you own on steam for 15 cents or less (on average). You do the math on what you expect the market to look like soon.

You mean first day of availability. Or did the winter cards get more expensive when the sale started?

First day of the sale there's always a spike due to the event. Cards went from about 25 cents each to about 45 cents each on the first day of the summer sale. Of course, there was probably a small window they were more than 45 cents each immediately after they released, but in the middle of all the gem chaos I didn't see one, these cards dropped below 30 cents each pretty quick. Personally I wouldn't recommend being a buyer because the gamble probably isn't worth it, but I definitely wouldn't be a seller.

Nzyme32

The trick will be to save boosters like that till well after the auction is over with and prices stabilise. However, if gems remain as a feature for getting rid of garbage, and booster conversion is a regular thing (which it could well do) that kind of changes the whole dynamic as a long term thing, and it's uncertain where that will go, since it is uncertain whether the booster gem prices will change or not. Big difference would be Valve can control those prices, but not the prices of the market place.

MUnited83

For you.

You can make boosters for any game you own by much less than that. It would never have sold at that price anyways.

Lomax

The trick will be to save boosters like that till well after the auction is over with and prices stabilise. However, if gems remain as a feature for getting rid of garbage, and booster conversion is a regular thing (which it could well do) that kind of changes the whole dynamic as a long term thing, and it's uncertain where that will go, since it is uncertain whether the booster gem prices will change or not. Big difference would be Valve can control those prices, but not the prices of the market place.

Booster conversion is supposed to be permanent. But like you said, it's impossible to know what the gem exchange rates will do.

So, why if I didn't have any gems in my inventory, nor did I sell any, did Valve give me $3? They didn't take the card money back (made about $30 in two hours which, I mean, is pretty okay considering I was drinking beer and listening to music), so I'm confused.

They refunded you anything you spent on bags of gems.

Zia

So, why if I didn't have any gems in my inventory, nor did I sell any, did Valve give me $3? They didn't take the card money back (made about $30 in two hours which, I mean, is pretty okay considering I was drinking beer and listening to music), so I'm confused.

Speevy

Banned
I think Valve created the steam marketplace and all of its various promotions and contests to teach gamers about the pitfalls of unregulated capitalism.

Locust

Did anyone get a free copy of CSGO in their inventory? I'm not sure if its related to the gem clusterfuck or the support ticket I had up.

Did anyone get a free copy of CSGO in their inventory? I'm not sure if its related to the gem clusterfuck or the support ticket I had up.

All Gems created by you have been returned to your Inventory

All Gem purchases from the Community Market have been reimbursed. View your Store

Transactions to see the Wallet Credit to your account.

All previous Auction bids have been canceled and the Auction has been reset.

Additionally, anyone who traded away items in exchange for Steam Gems on the first day of bidding will receive a copy of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in their Inventory.

Enjoy the addiction :)

pahamrick

More people need this classic in their lives.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pahamrick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

System Shock 2 -- MB-43976A9BAB094F48 - Taken by lindarasta

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
NOTE: On Thursday Dec 11th we had an issue with Gems that meant we needed to reset the Auction and start over. We apologize for the interruption. Any placed bids will need to be placed again.

All Gems created by you have been returned to your Inventory
All Gem purchases from the Community Market have been reimbursed. View your Store Transactions to see the Wallet Credit to your account.
All previous Auction bids have been canceled and the Auction has been reset.
Additionally, anyone who traded away items in exchange for Steam Gems on the first day of bidding will receive a copy of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in their Inventory.

I thought they never put CSGO on sale because of hackers. Seems like this will drop its value pretty low.

_hekk05

Banned
Let the min-maxing begin

rtphpt.png

hue

Jawmuncher

Where the hell is my CSGO?
I traded all kinds of shit for gems and nothing.

Wait I guess they literally mean trade as in trade requests.

Nzyme32

I thought they never put CSGO on sale because of hackers. Seems like this will drop its value pretty low.

How? It's only for those who traded items for gems, and only on the first day ie when the glitches happened. That likely won't be many people at all in the grand scheme of things

Top Bottom