• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

_hekk05

Banned
If you have Final Fantasy XIII-2 you need to idle that shit.
I need people to trade cards with. Already have 2 dupes.

Lol you traded all them cards with me yesterday night. I don't have FF XIII-2. Got FF XIII cheap for 6.40 this morning though

Squeenix sale when

I am so confuse by this whole thing. I feel like I'm missing out big time. I'll catch up on it tomorrow night I guess.

Can you min-max and math and do you have waifu games?

Yes: you're missing out on marginal profits
No: don't get suckered into the deep abyss that is the steam community market right now

_hekk05

Banned
So is now the time to sell cards ? Will their value decrease because of that booster pack bullshit ?

You either bet that this shit will eventually blow over and prices will rise, or you sell them now.

Selling seems to be the more popular option

I'm keeping mine to craft, and selling winter seal cards instead. Unexpected revenue sources lawl

Jawmuncher

Lol you traded all them cards with me yesterday night. I don't have FF XIII-2. Got FF XIII cheap for 6.40 this morning though

Squeenix sale when

No: don't get suckered into the deep abyss that is the steam community market right now

You were just sitting on a throne of stuff I needed.
Got so many badges finally done thanks to you.

Jørdan

So is now the time to sell cards ? Will their value decrease because of that booster pack bullshit ?

Well the gems and ability to craft boosters is staying after the sale, so the number of cards on the market is going to be less than pleasing.

Messiah

Just crafted the badge with my gem boosterpack + idled cards :x

The Final Fantasy emotes are usually really nice (except for FFIV fuck those)

:FFXIII2mog:
:FFXIII2cactuar:

_hekk05

Banned
People are forgetting that there are other ways to make money using the gems right now.

I crafted a loren booster for 60 cents, crafted the badge, got a winter seal card (20 cents) and a waifu background (90 cents), so I made 50 cents. See how that works?

The profit will come to you if you embrace the market

Wow I have a foil card worth 30 gems. Like taking the worst buying order and gambling on emoticons seems better than that.

Jørdan;143065279 said:
Well the gems and ability to craft boosters is staying after the sale, so the number of cards on the market is going to be less than pleasing.
It doesn't sound like the ability to turn items into gems will stay though.
Edit: misread? As it says continue making...

bigzgod

Honestly, it's pretty much hoping you get a foil and breaking even if you don't, with maybe a small profit if you're lucky.

_hekk05

Banned
Honestly, it's pretty much hoping you get a foil and breaking even if you don't, with maybe a small profit if you're lucky.

Lol I'm already sitting at a profit, and I still have my gems

Gonna craft boosters to make badges now

I win gabeN. Your shenanigans will not stop my min-maxing

Wow I have a foil card worth 30 gems. Like taking the worst buying order and gambling on emoticons seems better than that.

It doesn't sound like the ability to turn items into gems will stay though.
Edit: misread? As it says continue making...

Then it means emoticons and backgrounds will become more scarce because in the last 24 hours we probably saw people wiping out at least 60% of them for gems. Cards themselves may also balance out if people use those to craft gems, which I'm probably sure nobody is going to do. (Until cards are so cheap that between spending an era selling at $0.05 you might as well cash them all for a booster or something.)

During this event though, crafting cheap badges is offset with the reward trinket taking $.20 off the cost. Plus, if nothing else, gems. Now is definitely the time to craft.

Ene.gif

Do you happen to still play? I've yet to find a private server pre-renewal without disgusting cash shop crap

I haven't played since 2005, haha. I quit just about when the Rebirth update hit euRO. I just looked over a emoticon page in some wiki and got major nostalgia. Such a great game
Awsm.gif

I doubt I can ever go back to it though

bigzgod

Lol I'm already sitting at a profit, and I still have my gems

Gonna craft boosters to make badges now

I win gabeN. Your shenanigans will not stop my min-maxing

Yeah, used the market and buy orders to get a nice profit yesterday but from today on, margins will be very tight for the most part. Pretty much makes it not worth the effort of buying backgrounds/emoticons to trash for gems and then hoping to sell the cards you get at current prices, at least for the majority of games.

Maniac

Banned
So uh... Yeah... If anyone has left-over gems... Do shout. I need me some boosters for me badges, matey!

Seriously though, 0.03 euros compared to 0.03 dollars makes me cry every time.

Eurolanders are never allowed to have fun!

SteamTradeMatcher, man. You gotta use it, that shits dope.

Join me, my brothers, in the long wait for Tree of Savior.

Sir professional min-maxuru-san, what's the best stuff to jump on atm? I want more boosters just for making badges, because I'm an OCD-whore like that. :p

Thanks to jshackles, here are some impressions for Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart:

The story: You play a female museum curator named Mrs. Black (if there was a first name, I certainly can't remember it) who's ready to display the corpse of a pirate because, you know, God forbid he gets a burial somewhere. You're aided by your hot, but nameless, daughter:

6T9Ssar.jpg

And this isn't a case of "I forgot her name," the protagonist only calls her "my daughter," the photos of her in your office have a letter from her to her mom but she never signed the note, and even the Steam trading card of her merely says "Daughter." This is some Of Mice and Men "Curley's Wife" shit going on, I think, where her lack of personality is reflected in her lack of name. She looks like a "Mandy" to me, although "Tiffany" isn't out of the question either. What would you call her? Anyway. A storm brews, the corpse disappears, and when the smoke clears he's taken Mandy into a pirate ship he summoned out of nowhere and that crashed into the museum. You have to make your way through the ship and through Skull Island (the originality!) to confront the pirate and save Tiffany. There's a little more to it, but I don't want to spoil. Needless to say, the story is simple, not that creative, but not bad. Dialogue is minimal, and what's there isn't that great, but there's some...passable voice acting. The skeleton crew members are probably the best of the bunch voice-wise.

The graphics: Just look at her, man! Okay, in a bit more detail they're well done, the environments look great and the characters look good, but the cutscenes are done in a lower resolution so be prepared for that switch from high to low and back as you gain and lose player control.

The puzzles: Mostly good. I'm trying to think of any clunkers and none come to mind. The hidden object scenes were also quite well done, although they made the bizarre design choice to skip puzzles and play mahjong instead. I didn't play them (because there are achievements for doing all of the puzzles) so I can't say how good or bad they are, but I'll probably do them in a second playthrough (because there are mahjong achievements.) There is a "normal mode" and an "expert mode" where the latter doesn't give you sparkly hints and penalizes you for clicking wrong too many times in a hidden object scene. I would have preferred to turn off hints but not go for penalties, but you can't get everything I suppose.

The length: The first playthrough took me 4 hours, which is longer than most and a solid length for a game of this type. There's also replayability to get those extra achievements, and a bonus chapter I had yet to do, so there should be no complaints in that department.

The verdict: As far as hidden object games go, this is better than most. If you're looking for something to cleanse your palate between epic open-world RPGs or collectathon action platformers, this would be a good choice. Or if you just like adventures and puzzles. I would recommend it, and give it a hot nameless daughter out of 10.

_hekk05

Banned
Sir professional min-maxuru-san, what's the best stuff to jump on atm? I want more boosters just for making badges, because I'm an OCD-whore like that. :p

Most 100 gem backgrounds/emotes are now 6 cents, and most 80 gem background/emotes are now 5 cents.

The best transactions now are 60 gem stuff at 3 cents each, which will give you 20 extra gems as compared to each 100 gem emote for the same price

Anything more expensive and it won't be worth it anymore.

Maniac

Banned
If it makes you feel any better, there's not much left at $.03 that gives 80 gems anymore, everything is up to $.04.

Almost all the portal 2 stuff was at .03 like two minutes ago. Ofcourse... I don't know if it'd show stuff that's .04 to you as .03 here, but I kind of doubt it... But what do I know? :p

Beelzebubs

Not a fan of this auction. I own around 300 games, I've kept backgrounds/emoticons, turned them all into gems, got about 10k. it's 2 days before the auctions start and stuff like Beyond Earth is already at 70k gems, I'd imagine that would quadruple at least before the bidding ends so what's the point?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of fenners, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Blades of Time Limited Edition -- MB-83573F57A83A712C - Taken by Cth. 17 entrants total.

t1418436174z1.png

Lomax

Not a fan of this auction. I own around 300 games, I've kept backgrounds/emoticons, turned them all into gems, got about 10k. it's 2 days before the auctions start and stuff like Beyond Earth is already at 70k gems, I'd imagine that would quadruple at least before the bidding ends so what's the point?

Big name stuff will of course go for the most. But there's 100 copies of each game, and they will all be sold off over three days. The final copy of most of those games isn't going to go for anywhere near that much.

MUnited83

For you.

There's like 1900 other games you can bid on.

70.000 gems at a rate of about $0.30 for 1000 gems comes to about $21 for Beyond Earth. Still seems quite cheap.

Top Bottom