• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

MUnited83

For you.
Thanks. Sold it.
What do you advise about normal winter cards? Sell or not? I am only interested in making a bit money for sale, not any rare badges or sth.

Sell as well, they will drop quite a lot once people start buying lots of stuff and voting on community votes(you get cards for doing both those activities)

Does this mean we'll get cards for voting?
pic: http://i.imgur.com/57UVwoU.png

Which will mean that prices will drop a lot, so I might as well sell these cards and buy them back later. What do you guys think?

Cards for voting has happened before (it's a way for someone who doesn't buy a game to still get the badge and feel like they were a part of it.) Prices will only go down, so yeah, if you want to sell them, go for it.

Sell as well, they will drop quite a lot once people start buying lots of stuff and voting on community votes(you get cards for doing both those activities)

There might be a small spike at the very start when people start crafting, but I don't think it's worth to wait for that and take the chance.

Lomax

Thanks. Sold it.
What do you advise about normal winter cards? Sell or not? I am only interested in making a bit money for sale, not any rare badges or sth.

Sell on day one of the winter sale. Prices are actually drifting up currently, and every other time they have spiked on the first day of the sale. Make sure you unload them then though, as after the first day they go down once people start getting free cards.

There might be a small spike at the very start when people start crafting, but I don't think it's worth to wait for that and take the chance.

If history holds, the spike will be 50-100%, which isn't what I'd call "small."

Thanks man!
Sell on day one of the winter sale. Prices are actually drifting up currently, and every other time they have spiked on the first day of the sale. Make sure you unload them then though, as after the first day they go down once people start getting free cards.
Might do that actually. Hope prices won't crash.

Ventara

No problem, and yea it's best to do some test calculations and see what works for you. Cards seem to mostly have poor gem conversion values, since Steam is more concerned with pushing people to sell and convert their emoticons/backgrounds/etc. in order to collect those sweet market transaction fees from users.

Someone may have a very different outlook than I do, so I hope I'm not inadvisably pushing you in a certain direction!

I'm pretty sure you're right, though.

For example, let's take a 1000 cards and say on average they sell for 10 cents or 10 gems. So that's either $100 or 10,000 gems. Trading normally easily wins that one.

But let's say that you use that $100 to buy backgrounds for 5 cents, which can be converted to 100 gems each (these are just estimates to make things easier). So that's 2000 backgrounds turning into 200,000 gems. At this point, things seem a little better, but looking at the bids, a $50 game goes for 50,000 gems (currently). Assuming it holds at that, you can get $200 worth of games, which seems like a better deal, but if we factor in sales, $100 Steam wallet allows for potentially more games AND the flexibility to choose what you want without the hassle of winning an auction.

Oh, and converting gems to booster packs to sell for Steam wallet to buy backgrounds to convert into gems doesn't seem to yield much profit (if any).

So yeah, I'm pretty sure selling cards normally for Steam wallet is the right call.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I wonder if whomever wins the bid for the 2014 Holiday Profile will actually find it worth all the gems used up on it?

inm8num2

I'm pretty sure you're right, though.

For example, let's take a 1000 cards and say on average they sell for 10 cents or 10 gems. So that's either $100 or 10,000 gems. Trading normally easily wins that one.

But let's say that you use that $100 to buy backgrounds for 5 cents, which can be converted to 100 gems each (these are just estimates to make things easier). So that's 2000 backgrounds turning into 200,000 gems. At this point, things seem a little better, but looking at the bids, a $50 game goes for 50,000 gems (currently). Assuming it holds at that, you can get $200 worth of games, which seems like a better deal, but if we factor in sales, $100 Steam wallet allows for potentially more games AND the flexibility to choose what you want without the hassle of winning an auction.

Oh, and converting gems to booster packs to sell for Steam wallet to buy backgrounds to convert into gems doesn't seem to yield much profit (if any).

So yeah, I'm pretty sure selling cards normally for Steam wallet is the right call.

That's a good analysis in favor of selling cards for wallet funds. :)

Then on the other hand one considers selling emoticons/backgrounds vs. converting them to gems. If the item is cheap (<5 cents) and gives 80-100 gems, it may be better to convert them to gems then use your combined gems to buy and sell booster packs (or the individual cards contained therein). However, if people are buying cheap items to increase their gem counts then maybe selling those cheap items is easier.

LOL, this is too complicated for me. :p

That's a good analysis in favor of selling cards for wallet funds. :)

Then on the other hand one considers selling emoticons/backgrounds vs. converting them to gems. If the item is cheap (<5 cents) and gives 80-100 gems, it's probably better to convert them to gems then use your combined gems to buy and sell booster packs (or the individual cards contained therein).

correct for now.

.05 card : 5-20 gems?
.05 background/emote : 80 - 100 gems.

1000 gems for a booster : .50 - .65

So you need each card to sell for .25 PROFIT to not take a loss. Not sure how many of those exist. FF13 was pretty good yesterday, not sure about today.

Any other good boosters?

MUnited83

For you.
correct for now.

.05 card : 5-20 gems?
.05 background/emote : 80 - 100 gems.

1000 gems for a booster : .50 - .65

So you need each card to sell for .25 PROFIT to not take a loss. Not sure how many of those exist. FF13 was pretty good yesterday, not sure about today.

Any other good boosters?

Plenty of good boosters that don't cost 1000 gems. FFXIII, Trails in the Sky, Agarest Zero.

Speevy

Banned
Damn, no one wants my Momodora 3 or Q-Bert boosters. I sold my Q-Bert cards for a ton of money when I first bought the game.

Lomax

I wonder if whomever wins the bid for the 2014 Holiday Profile will actually find it worth all the gems used up on it?

My guess is they plan on withdrawing their bid at the last minute. I can't imagine anyone will actually spend that kind of money on a minor profile gimmick that won't even last.

My guess is they plan on withdrawing their bid at the last minute. I can't imagine anyone will actually spend that kind of money on a minor profile gimmick that won't even last.
Top bidder can't withdraw. :p
Exactly.

By the way, I wonder whether this was foreseen.

gems_in_gems_in_gems.png

Speevy

Banned
Someone should create a steam account with the sole purpose of farming the most steam wallet with the least actual money spent.

Nothing but bundles, cheap waifu games, and careful trading/selling.

I wonder how much money someone could make.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Too few games for low bids, at the moment. It will most likely be better off to wait until the quick bidding auctions begin after this round ends on the 15th.

Is it considered uncool to request an invite to the Steam group?

Not at all. Just share a link to your Steam profile and one of us will add you right quick.

Someone should create a steam account with the sole purpose of farming the most steam wallet with the least actual money spent.

Nothing but bundles, cheap waifu games, and careful trading/selling.

I wonder how much money someone could make.

Ever seen the trading forum of any given game? Some people do nothing but 1:2 trades and accumulate thousands of cards.

Cth

Bah. Woke up this morning to have my gem sacks back.. just got back from my trip to see the sacks are removed, at least they reimbursed me for them.

Deitus

What is this Steam group you speak of and what are the benefits of joining? :p

It's just a Steam group for NeoGAF members, nothing fancy.

As for benefits, I guess you get to look down on people who are not in the group, so that's something. And if someone sends you a friend request and they aren't in the NeoGAF group, you can just automatically reject them because they probably aren't worth being friends with anyway. ;)

Top Bottom