• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Arthea

OK valve, you win, cannot stay awake any longer, it's already morning here and I'm only now about to go to bed.
What's more important inventory was so slow, I could have done everything in couple of hours instead of all night. Can they somehow fix it? It reloading after every item destroyed for gems made only worse, and already it was bloody bad.
bids are insane, I tell you, for all games I want...

I got rid of most of my emotes because it looks like they save now. Can still use them in chat after acquiring them once.

Have you tried restarting Steam? The old emotes you're seeing might be cached. I got rid of some emotes yesterday and they're gone from my chat window options.

My theory on the high gem bids is that a lot of people are actually bidding on the unique level 3 gem badge. Theoretically "only" 200k of them will be rewarded, but if some folks--big ole Steam badge whales--win multiple auctions there'll be even fewer of the badges handed out.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't let the same user win a particular game more than once. I'm sure there are loads of traders prepping to win all the big/high profile auctions so that they can resell them later for profit. Maybe a cap on how many auctions one can win in totality so that it's not just a bonanza for those who have stockpiled crazy amounts of gems.

Milamber

Oh man, I left GAF for 36 hours for last minute work and Xmas shopping and it exploded to about 40 pages. What happened? What are these Steam gems? Someone help fill me in?

Oh man, I left GAF for 36 hours for last minute work and Xmas shopping and it exploded to about 40 pages. What happened? What are these Steam gems? Someone help fill me in?

You can craft boosters with those gems. Or enter some auction to get some games.
Gems you can get if you craft them out of your icons/backgrounds.

Yesterday Valve fucked up and gave certain people millions of gems because of a bug but they fixed it now.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I love the Steam sales, but the meta games drive me up the wall.

Every year is the same thing: Do I sell all my cards now, before the prices plummet, or do I keep them, so, in case I need to increase my Steam Profile level for some reason again, I have some cards to do that?

Also, there's a Holiday Sale 2014 badge already, which means that there will be daily cards dropped again. Last year I made bank on those cards and most of my purchases were paid by selling cards. I wonder if this will happen again this year (and part of me thinks it's kinda too soon to turn all those gems into booster packs).

Good thing I decided to never go deep into stocks and sell all my stocks that I bought once to try it out: it would drive me crazy.

Speevy

Banned
I have four booster packs left. Momodora 3, Q-Bert, Quest of Dungeons, and The Last Tinker.

How can I make someone buy these from me?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This shows if you click on your Holiday badge:

Cards earned through purchases: 0
Cards earned by voting on the Community's Choice Sale: 0

Oh hell yes. Free money here we come.

Make sure you all sell them as fast as possible: They go down in price seriously throughout the sale, and end up being worth ten times less past the midway point of the sale.

I'm quite sure that will be the case this year again.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm not going to have enough gems for anything

so this whole thing is basically useless for me

Kuroyume

Banned
I was able to dump some backgrounds and emoticons I never used for a few booster packs so I'm happy. I just wish they didn't limit you to just one booster pack for a game every 24 hours. I don't see the point of that.

Jawmuncher

I was able to dump some backgrounds and emoticons I never used for a few booster packs so I'm happy. I just wish they didn't limit you to just one booster pack for a game every 24 hours. I don't see the point of that.

From someone flooding the market for one game.

madjoki

But the amount of gems required to win an auction would far exceed the amount of money it would cost just to buy it, since you can't sell gems anymore.

Might be worth later. Will have to see how value goes after first round.
I actually wrote scraper to see everything on one page and there's some not-so-bad stuff with reasonable prices (atm at least).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But the bidding has a huge amount of gems. I don't think I can even bid against them :/

They're probably buying cards to craft and salvage to bid... which ironically if they all add up they would have spent the same amount buying the game.

iosefe

But the bidding has a huge amount of gems. I don't think I can even bid against them :/

They're probably buying cards to craft and salvage to bid... which ironically if they all add up they would have spent the same amount buying the game.

all according to kuribo

Yeah, I won't even try it, that system is designed to screw users, I'd rather they did some kind of slot machine thing were your chances were very low and random.

agniswarm

Banned

i agree...some people have bid more than the price of the game in sale taking 100gems is 3cents. Even bad rats also!!

agniswarm

Banned
Yeah, I won't even try it, that system is designed to screw users, I'd rather they did some kind of slot machine thing were your chances were very low and random.

I agree..people want the badge more than anything else to show off they won an auction so paying more than the price of the game

Cth

Anyone know of any other 80 gem emotes/background? Keep searching around for some.

I got rid of most of my emotes because it looks like they save now. Can still use them in chat after acquiring them once.

Here's some, hope it helps.

EMOTES:
Tabletop Simulator - :pokerchips:
Tabletop Simulator - :roll:
Portal 2 - :p2orange:
Pixel Piracy - :normalpirate:
Papers Please - :denied:
Batman AC GOTY - :arkham:

BACKGROUNDS:
TWD SE 1 - Long Road Ahead
Tabletop Simulator - Pieces Everywhere
Risk of Rain - Wisp
Risk of Rain - Lemurian
Portal 2 - Intro
Pixel Piracy - Scurvy Dogs
Papers Please - Wall Hangings
Goat Simulator - Leering Goats
Batman AC GOTY - Arkham City by Night

iosefe

Gear Crack arena

The price of the game is 19cents now
you get 3 cards average price is 8 - 9 cents now. So buy the game and sell the cards you will make a profit

http://steamcommunity.com/auction/item/1577-GEARCRACK-Arena

The highest bidder is 2200 gems. If we take 100 gems is 3 cents so 66cents the person is bidding when the price of the game now is 19 cents. People are really nuts these days.
False. Forgot to subtract 2 cents per card. If nine, sell 8, get 6.

_hekk05

Banned
Breaking news:

certain Loren the Amazon Princess emoticons are still 4 cents each while giving 80 gems

edit: woah that's fast. They're up to 6 cents now

Top Bottom