• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Demonicon is surprisingly fun. The rhythmic combat and the way things work are interesting. The story is lol tho.

Unicorn

So I've always been pretty ignorant about cards,boosters, and badges. I usually just try to play the games I buy on Steam
KuGsj.gif

I'm elligible for boosters for some games, but have never gotten one. Can I sell the booster on the marketplace or open it and sell the contents? Are badges just to level up? How can I start getting boosters?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Quick Last Inua impressions (thanks to Speevy for the gift)

Last Inua is a puzzle game where you control a father and son (each with different abilities) and attempt to get to the end of the level. The father can jump, rock climb, and punch through giant boulders of ice like Chris Redfield. The son is a little weakling who can teleport through portals scattered throughout the level and can spread magical glitter dust you can walk on. A level generally plays out with the father taking the lead, breaking ice blocks to open up a path, and then the son can teleport and walk on his glitter dust to meet up with the father at the end of the level.

The controls are fairly loose and imprecise, but won't cause any issues except in a few troublesome areas. The glitter dust controls definitely have some problems, though. When using a controller, hitting the dpad left or right will drop the dust in its preset path. The son will start to walk with it (even if you're not touching the analog stick), which causes issues when the glitter dust does not fall correctly. It will often leave a giant hole where no dust was dropped and you'll fall right into a pit. It can be remedied a bit by using a mouse.

It does look pretty fantastic, though. Just look at the screens. The music and presentation are clearly going for a fairly "airy" feeling. The Ico, Journey, and Outland influences are fairly obvious.

It's a pretty short game (took me 2.5 hours), but I enjoyed it. It would make for a good lazy Sunday playthrough.

So I've always been pretty ignorant about cards,boosters, and badges. I usually just try to play the games I buy on Steam
KuGsj.gif

I'm elligible for boosters for some games, but have never gotten one. Can I sell the booster on the marketplace or open it and sell the contents? Are badges just to level up? How can I start getting boosters?

yes
yes
see below

How can I get a booster pack?
Once you have received all of your card drops, you become eligible for a booster pack, which is a set of 3 trading cards that may include both basic and foil cards. Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community. Make sure you log in to Steam each week to maintain eligibility.

Once eligible, your Steam Level increases your rate of receiving a booster pack drop:
Level 10: +20% increase in your drop rate
Level 20: +40% increase in your drop rate
Level 30: +60% increase in your drop rate
Level 40: +80% increase in your drop rate
Level 50: +100% increase in your drop rate (i.e. the rate has doubled)
Etc.
How do I know if I can get card drops and booster packs?
From your Badges page, the “How do I earn card drops?” window shows you how many card drops you have earned, how to get more, and if you are currently eligible for a booster pack drop.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, how do I get boosters? Just logging into steam, or by playing that particular game? are badges the most "efficient" way of leveling to increase the booster drop rate? Is there a limit to the number of boosters I can get from a particular game?

1) You can earn boosters for any games for which you've used up all drops; they're awarded periodically and just appear in your inventory
2) Crafting a badge earns you 100 XP versus the 1 that buying a game gets you (DLC doesn't count), so the most efficient way to level up is to sort this list by set price and craft the cheapest badges
3) No

i dont understand how people are making their bids.
for example. battlefront two has 20100 gems currently.
at four cents per 100 gems, thats 8,04 bucks. the game is usually much cheaper during sale than that. i mean, i got it for a buck this summer.

why do people bid so much gems?
how is someone supposed to save money by getting them in the auction?

or will the gem figures change after the first few bids likely?

Unicorn

1) You can earn boosters for any games for which you've used up all drops; they're awarded periodically and just appear in your inventory
2) Crafting a badge earns you 100 XP versus the 1 that buying a game gets you (DLC doesn't count), so the most efficient way to level up is to sort this list by set price and craft the cheapest badges
3) No

Thanks for the info! I see for a lot of my games I haven't even collected all of the card drops, haha.

_hekk05

Banned
i dont understand how people are making their bids.
for example. battlefront two has 20100 gems currently.
at four cents per 100 gems, thats 8,04 bucks. the game is usually much cheaper during sale than that. i mean, i got it for a buck this summer.

why do people bid so much gems?
how is someone supposed to save money by getting them in the auction?

or will the gem figures change after the first few bids likely?

Some people have a whole lodda backgrounds

Just made about a dollar off foils that I got from booster packs with my remaining gems, wish there was another way of acquiring gems without me having to melt all my dope ass emoties and backgrounds.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Anyone know of any other 80 gem emotes/background? Keep searching around for some.

I got rid of most of my emotes because it looks like they save now. Can still use them in chat after acquiring them once.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
My theory on the high gem bids is that a lot of people are actually bidding on the unique level 3 gem badge. Theoretically "only" 200k of them will be rewarded, but if some folks--big ole Steam badge whales--win multiple auctions there'll be even fewer of the badges handed out.

It'll be interesting to see if this will be like the Summer event, where the first day saw the winning team do a ridiculous blow out. Only in this case, it'll be a blowout on the first wave auction.

Then again, some folks might not only hoard gems for the badge but for spare games to trade or gift out. I wonder if once the auction starts you'll be able to see previous winners, and if anyone will scrape those auctions to see who won the most.

Tizoc

I still don't get how this Gem thing work. Like say I want to get FF13-2 via Gems, what's the fastest and cheapest way to get enough gems for it?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Any idea what are the best game to make booster packs out of the gems? I'm turning everything into boosters, opening everything and selling all the cards

fallout

So, this is a weird situation. I picked up the recent Screencheat deal on the Humble Store. It's a 4-pack, so I've got 3 copies that I wanted to give away. Unfortunately, they gave me 1 key that has 3 uses. Of course, when I tried to make a raffle for them, they all get the same ModBot key.

As a result, the posted raffles are not actual keys. If you win, PM me for the key. I'll be trusting that you don't share it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fallout, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Screencheat #1 -- MB-79B05F628053583F - Taken by bkw. 5 entrants total.
Screencheat #2 -- MB-D74AF49335231B9C - Taken by Kuroyume. 4 entrants total.
Screencheat #3 -- MB-268BDB5BF6104271 - Taken by Jawmuncher. 3 entrants total.

t1418446248z1.png

Top Bottom