• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

kiz5qkK.png

looks like i'm eligible for a risku ov rainu booster pack

Saty

Valve should start offering instant card drops microtransaction for games you own. Don't want to idle for up to hours to get all the cards for the game? 2$ and you get them.

Arthea

Valve should start offering instant card drops microtransaction for games you own. Don't want to idle for up to hours to get all the cards for the game? 2$ and you get them.

seriously? you understand what would come out of it? All cards take at least 10 hours to drop, or 20, or a week.
jeez people, stop feeding them those ideas. Do you hate yourself or something?

Beep, beep, beep...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Space Hack -- MB-5D18BF9D993FB627 - Taken by Sendou
Crash Time 2 -- MB-BC0ADCCB87AF4E9A - Taken by TheMadMan007

Nordicus

Something just came to my head relating to the gem prices.

Now Valve has kind of implied that gems are here to stay as a method of getting rid of market trash, correct?

In that case, even if regular cards dipped to an all time low of constant 3 cent prices, emoticons and backgrounds would start eventually stabilizing at around 12 cents at the lowest.

Now, at the beginning, gems cost quarter that amount, at 26.7 gems per $0.01, and it's already shifting towards 13.3g/$0.01 since every 80gem item is almost worth 6 cents.

So if they keep this system in place in some way, the value of individual gems will still slowly rise. Therefore, if you can't afford, or can't win any auctions this December, you might want to hold on to those gems and think twice before making boosters, because by the next gem-related event, the gems' value *might* have doubled again

Just something to think about. Anyone who got their gems from a truckload of 3 cent items earlier might see their inventory value quadruple by summer

Dr Dogg

Well. the interesting thing these days is that even if you run afoul of the SSA you can still access your pre-existing library, and the fact that Valve also guarantees game access in the event of Steam being discontinued means the only (remotely realistic) scenario in which you wouldn't be able to play your games is if you forgot your login info and didn't have enough supporting evidence to prove you're the account holder. I'd say that, in practice, Steam users do own their games -- but having an unrestricted account is a privilege and not a right.

Well I think Valve are one of the last people to be dicks and I'm sure a fair bit of what is in the SSA won't be enforceable in some countries. I mean if you read any EULA is the past couple of decades we apparently don't own anything media related anymore despite having a whole stack of CD's and DVD's that say otherwise.

I completely agree with your post but I can see how it provides good value for money for a console only gamer with an interest in most or all of the titles available. I feel that such a group is the vocal minority merely based on the number of subscribers and my view of the past year's offerings.

I've subscribed to PS+ for over a year but I won't be resubscribing because, from my current PS+ library, only a couple of titles, that aren't on PC, actually interest me. I feel that it would be better to simple rebuy them for a few pounds* and play them at my own pace, instead of resubscribing to the rental service.

Since I built my PC, I don't think that there will ever be any multiformat title that I don't buy on PC, even if I have to wait for it to be released later or upgrade my machine. My backlog and IRL commitments mean that I rarely have time to play a game on release which means that it's hard to justify buying them on release. As a result, waiting is not only bearable but often necessary, or at the very least a prudent decision.

*I'll probably actually get them for a few dollars as I won't be able to buy them with my UK account as I've already 'bought' the 'free' PS+ version

Check my post above re different people have different ways of perceiving value.

It's the whole supermarket thing of 3 for the price of 2. Sure that sounds like a sweet deal but if you only wanted 1 item and that's what you budgeted for then you're spending more than you planned. Now of course that's different say with buying 12 pints of milk when you'd only use 4 before they all go off and acquiring more games than you can play as the only expiry is the sub length but if you could either buy outright the game you wanted for the price of your sub and then get a load of extra stuff you didn't want, let alone need then the value proposition has changed. I see a lot of people equating that they see good value in it so therefore judge the service on their own perception and not take into account other peoples positions. What's even more bizarre is how hostile some get if you dare question their interpretation of value for PS+. But hey I'm not surprised when there are folks who throw their toys out the pram when a certain game doesn't obtain a certain review score for the press despite them not playing it and the score being just a part of the reviewers subjective opinion.

In regards to Steam you can kind of look at it as a free service but for full access you need to buy some games or software. Steam Cloud Saves are free, as is the community features like chat, screenshot hosting, discussion boards, the market and so on as well as the client features like In Home Streaming and now Broadcasting but to get the most out of that you need games. Where PS+ and Xbox Live charge you for just a small fraction of those features and it's a recurring cost. Sure the deal is sweetened with games but to maintain these features you need to keep on paying where as on Steam the cost is only the stuff you buy and the price you set fit. Some might see more value in PS+ or Live Gold where some might find even better value in tier 1 Humble Bundles for $1 a pop.

Starwolf is correct, no longer crafting boosters make you any kind of profit, well, I haven't checked all, but more or less we are back to square one, price of obtaining gems is already so high, that buying any 3 cards you need is cheaper than any other option.
This escalated really fast, items that were on market in thousands are already at 0 or at hundreds at the high price. I didn't foresee this happening so fast.
And bids already being unrealistically high in many cases... ya, basically the party is over. (><)

If you already had a shitload of junk in your inventory there's profit to be made. I yanked all my stuff off the market and repriced it as the value was going up in some cases and others was worth grinding the emotes into gems then craft booster packs and sell them for more than what I would have the base materials. Then I'm picking up the cheap cards to craft badges and selling the winters cards for a penny or 2 more than the cards it took to craft said badge. For those with clean inventories it's a fools errand trying to make dough just yet until the Seal starts.

Arthea

I just scraped coolfu emote, feel so not cool now

If you already had a shitload of junk in your inventory there's profit to be made. I yanked all my stuff off the market and repriced it as the value was going up in some cases and others was worth grinding the emotes into gems then craft booster packs and sell them for more than what I would have the base materials. Then I'm picking up the cheap cards to craft badges and selling the winters cards for a penny or 2 more than the cards it took to craft said badge. For those with clean inventories it's a fools errand trying to make dough just yet until the Seal starts.

You have a point, but you see there is another point, I spent those gems on crafting boosters, and I shouldn't have, because as of today, I would have been better if I sold those hundred items and bought individual cards I need, I would have made a profit ;)
Although it most likely would have taken even longer, and I spent 6-7 hours yesterday scrapping stuff, all night in fact (><)
Sluggishness of any inventory related activity is a killer, I hope that's what Valve plan to fix next.

fantomena

I need AmazonTony back. Wolfie will be 15$ on Amazon soon, but no digital version.

Anyway, everyone needs some Wolfie: TNO in their life. Bless that game.

Dr Dogg

So far the only draw back I'm seeing with the market is that prices for rare emotes and backgrounds are plumeting. Fingers crossed they'll pick up again after the Seal as I've got a couple of backgorunds that would normaly go for a couple of quid but due to the gem shenanigans buy orders are siting at 20 odd pence.

Dr Dogg

You have a point, but you see there is another point, I spent those gems on crafting boosters, and I shouldn't have, because as of today, I would have been better if I sold those hundred items and bought individual cards I need, I would have made a profit ;)
Although it most likely would have taken even longer, and I spent 6-7 hours yesterday scrapping stuff, all night in fact (><)
Sluggishness of any inventory related activity is a killer, I hope that's what Valve plan to fix next.

There's obviously going to be a tipping point for everyone depending on the contents of their inventory, boosters available to craft and the cooldowns to manage as well. Nothing to get super rich but I've made enough to pick up a game or two without having to put my hand in my pocket. That and I'm closing in on level 40 now.

Ruruja

You'll be better off waiting until the 45min per auction period before using your gems to snaffle a game.

I turned my unsellable emoticons and backgrounds into 2 booster packs which got me around 80p so that's one thing good about this auction thing.

I do miss those special holiday achievements they added to certain games a few years ago though, they were great.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I think the worst aspect of Wolfenstein: TNO is how the collectables, both gold items and enigma documents (the latter which unlock gameplay modes), will fail to spawn regardless of the fact that you have not picked them up yet. Its happened on three chapters now, but in this final case the solution of restarting the level and game is not working.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think the worst aspect of Wolfenstein: TNO is how the collectables, both gold items and enigma documents (the latter which unlock gameplay modes), will fail to spawn regardless of the fact that you have not picked them up yet. Its happened on three chapters now, but in this final case the solution of restarting the level and game is not working.
Damn that's a frustrating glitch. I got lucky with that I guess.

I remember going back through levels and collecting all the stuff I had missed after finishing the game. Ended up with everything. So I guess what you're facing is a bug and not a conscious design choice.

Arthea

that sounds bad, have you reported it? maybe they'll fix it.

Dr Dogg

I forgot that crafting badges is actually boring

so here is my Origin sale badge
on steam

The Origin Seal has started?

I don't know I always like the mystery of what 2 and at the mo 3 items you get in your inventory. You might get lucky and get a foil Winter Sale card and some rare stuff to flog.

Momentary

Banned
The Origin Seal has started?

I don't know I always like the mystery of what 2 and at the mo 3 items you get in your inventory. You might get lucky and get a foil Winter Sale card and some rare stuff to flog.

Yeah man... I just got this rare background that sells for $4.75. That's when I stopped crafting for today.

Anteater

Blades of time isn't so bad so far, could use some work on its hack and slash elements, since the game itself is pretty fast paced but the combos don't really have much of a rhythm to it, it controls well enough although sometimes I could miss a counter or two because I move around a bit much and I think I need to face the enemy's direction to trigger it.

I find the time clone perspective to be pretty interesting, you do combos on an enemy, rewind time and you have a doppelganger to fight alongside with you. The magic spells are kind of cool, and I find the game much more playable and actually fun compared to x-blades. The game looks visually pleasing, even though animations are a bit dated.

Dialogues are kind of bad.

Dr Dogg

Yeah man... I just got this rare background that sells for $4.75. That's when I stopped crafting for today.

Well I got a rare Valkyria Chronciles backgrond that normally goes for £1.30ish. Currently the highest buy order is 29p but i'm patient (sort of).

The_Monk

Morning everyone and happy weekend! Getting cold in here so nothing better than a warm coffee. :)

I need AmazonTony back.

Those were the days, such amazing deals I remember having much better prices then the sales on Steam. Tony was really nice.

---

Also, I've been wondering having a much smaller keyboard, in order to keep things more "clean" and minimalist. White would be nice but I'm guessing it will look dirty really fast, no? Also I'm worried I can't order from outside my country because I wouldn't have some keys in it such "ç" "ã" "é" but I may be wrong. Guess I need to search this issue.

agniswarm

Banned
Can someone explain me the last line written in the page

Steam Auction

NOTE: On Thursday Dec 11th we had an issue with Gems that meant we needed to reset the Auction and start over. We apologize for the interruption. Any placed bids will need to be placed again.

All Gems created by you have been returned to your Inventory

All Gem purchases from the Community Market have been reimbursed. View your Store Transactions to see the Wallet Credit to your account.

All previous Auction bids have been canceled and the Auction has been reset.

Additionally, anyone who traded away items in exchange for Steam Gems on the first day of bidding will receive a copy of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in their Inventory.

MUnited83

For you.

Steam Auction

NOTE: On Thursday Dec 11th we had an issue with Gems that meant we needed to reset the Auction and start over. We apologize for the interruption. Any placed bids will need to be placed again.

All Gems created by you have been returned to your Inventory

All Gem purchases from the Community Market have been reimbursed. View your Store Transactions to see the Wallet Credit to your account.

All previous Auction bids have been canceled and the Auction has been reset.

Additionally, anyone who traded away items in exchange for Steam Gems on the first day of bidding will receive a copy of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in their Inventory.
Exactly what it's written. People who traded items for Steam gems before the Steam Gems got removed get a free copy of CS:GO

agniswarm

Banned
Exactly what it's written. People who traded items for Steam gems before the Steam Gems got removed get a free copy of CS:GO

Well I didn't get any! Is it because I already owned the game?

Edit - Found its random. People who owned also got a copy as per Reddit. May be those who didn't make profit gave them.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Damn that's a frustrating glitch. I got lucky with that I guess.

I remember going back through levels and collecting all the stuff I had missed after finishing the game. Ended up with everything. So I guess what you're facing is a bug and not a conscious design choice.

The worst part is it occurs on the final chapter.

that sounds bad, have you reported it? maybe they'll fix it.

Hopefully they read it let alone push a fix. I will try however.

Morning everyone and happy weekend! Getting cold in here so nothing better than a warm coffee. :)

Those were the days, such amazing deals I remember having much better prices then the sales on Steam. Tony was really nice.

---

Also, I've been wondering having a much smaller keyboard, in order to keep things more "clean" and minimalist. White would be nice but I'm guessing it will look dirty really fast, no? Also I'm worried I can't order from outside my country because I wouldn't have some keys in it such "ç" "ã" "é" but I may be wrong. Guess I need to search this issue.

Minimalism would seem to dictate you would use a keyboard bereft of letter symbols not include more.

But as a compromise to your requirements:

Portuguese Apple wireless keyboard

In addition to looking exquisite, that keyboard has an aluminum frame and the white keys will not stain easily.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?

If you traded with another player for gems you get CS GO. Not using the marketplace.

Top Bottom