• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Faustek

Tomb Raider - T86R2-HQZH2-3GBPB

Hitman Blood Money - 55WHL-PK6A3-L9QVD

Dungeon Seige - LGQMD-DKE0T-XN6JK

Just Cause 2 - HH0TW-ZDTTB-Q3XZX

These are from Last years Christmas box at Square Enix.
Already had them all so before I forget them anyone have them.

All gone...

Curious, was that the latest Tomb Raider or the original one?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Decided to buy myself a little Christmas present.

codghostspo7wcuh.jpg

The Watcher patch DLC was available post-release as part of the Russian DDE, but Acti pulled all of the DDE options soon after the release of the Gold Edition, so I had to scour Google for a pre-order key from a reseller.

tmarg

I took Just Cause. Thanks.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (iapetus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Anodyne -- MB-0D0A8055512F04AC - Taken by Naked Snake
10 Classic SEGA Genesis Games, Medieval II: Total War, Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Binary Domain, Renegade Ops -- MB-91CC1483E84BC4D0 - Taken by JustLynx
Alpha Protocol, Company of Heroes, Rome: Total War, Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit -- MB-9EDD8423D6B5D2B2 - Taken by Cozmogramma
Incredipede -- MB-E4A35A91EA9003B6 - Taken by Sendou

JaseC

Jørdan;143106442 said:
Merry Christmas! How do keep tabs on what is available where for that extra +1, do you use SteamDB for that?

I don't really keep track of games I don't already own, aside from those that were recently pulled or are otherwise potentially still available (such as Crasher, which I bought from eBay again yesterday -- hopefully I have better luck this time around). In this case, Ghosts stuck out in my mind quite easily because it was the only CoD game I didn't have. SteamDB's list of unowned apps is handy, particularly when it comes to tracking down region-specific stuff, but I don't have much of a need for it since my intention is to buy all that I can.

XBP

So shadow of mordor is 26$ on GMG right now. What are the chances of it going lower anytime soon? I know that nuuvem recently had it for 23.

JaseC

So shadow of mordor is 26$ on GMG right now. What are the chances of it going lower anytime soon? I know that nuuvem recently had it for 23.

It's liable to be a featured deal during the Winter Sale at half off, but that'd represent a saving of only a buck. I'll be very surprised if the game's featured deal discount is higher.

Jørdan

Thank you for the giveaway, great selection of games to drop by with.

I don't really keep track of games I don't already own, aside form those that were recently pulled or are otherwise potentially still available (such as Crasher, which I bought from eBay again yesterday -- hopefully I have better luck this time around).

Ah, I did wonder as I imagine it would be quite time consuming even with use of something like SteamDB. I recall you mentioning a Football Manager game from South Korea I think which was impressive. Best of luck with Crasher, hope it works out for you.

JaseC

So if a background is worht 80 gems and sold for 5€.
Should I turn it into gems or sell it?

The gems are only useful if you intend to bid to a point where you're likely to be within the top 100. I'd go for the 5 Eurobucks, personally.

Benedict

The gems are only useful if you intend to bid to a point where you're likely to be within the top 100. I'd go for the 5 Eurobucks, personally.

yes, mistyped, it's 0.05 eurocents
Another example is a background worth 0,08€ selling for 100 gems.

JaseC

Jørdan;143107159 said:
Ah, I did wonder as I imagine it would be quite time consuming even with use of something like SteamDB. I recall you mentioning a Football Manager game from South Korea I think which was impressive. Best of luck with Crasher, hope it works out for you.

Yeah, I'm still working my way through the Korean versions of Football Manager. What happened the first time around with Crasher is that I received a shipping confirmation from the seller but the item never arrived, and attempts to contact him proved fruitless, so I opened a dispute with PayPal and eventually got my money back simply because he ignored the matter. Needless to say I went with a different seller this time around. ;)

Nordicus

Aah dangit. Got burned by my carelessness, I thought there were 0.03€ 80 gem backgrounds left on One Way Heroics but they were actually 20 gems each. Oh well, I only lost half an euro that i got from selling off the most worthless of my cards. Might've still ended up winning on the gem side compared to salvaging cards, though not by much

XBP

It's liable to be a featured deal during the Winter Sale at half off, but that'd represent a saving of only a buck. I'll be very surprised if the game's featured deal discount is higher.

hm... I might wait it out. Not like I have to play the game right now. *looks at backlog*

JaseC

yes, mistyped, it's 0.05 eurocents
Another example is a background worth 0,08€ selling for 100 gems.

Ah. If you think you may jump into the gem game seriously enough to make a Top 100-worthy bid on something you'd like, wait a couple more days as bids are only going to go up and you'll have a better sense of where they'll be once Valve flips the switch and the auctions start being processed. This runs the risk of your items decreasing in value, but at 0.05 and 0.08 Eurocents, it's nothing to be overly concerned about.

Jørdan

Fantastic bundle with Alpha Protocol, Company of Heroes & Rome: Total War starting at a $1 it's one of their best. Can't work out where the 10 classic games fit in with the tiers. Regardless it was a great buy if you didn't already own them. You may see another SEGA bundle or at least a good discount on the games you mentioned during the sales on Steam. Alpha Protocol is around £1.75 here, may even have been £1.50 last time if I remember correctly.

Yakkue

Jørdan;143108137 said:
Fantastic bundle with Alpha Protocol, Company of Heroes & Rome: Total War starting at a $1 it's one of their best. Can't work out where the 10 classic games fit in with the tiers. Regardless it was a great buy if you didn't already own them. You may see another SEGA bundle or at least a good discount on the games you mentioned during the sales on Steam. Alpha Protocol is around £1.75 here, may even have been £1.50 last time if I remember correctly.

The classic games were in the second tier. Source.

Was out for the last two days for surgery. Still quite groggy due to the anesthesia but what I've learned in the past few pages that I skimmed is that it's the time to craft badges now?

Sorry if this question is already beaten to death already.

JaseC

Is that a forced thing or can I keep on dropping codes where ever appropriate without a care?

If you're referring to "Do not trade keys you win off-site ...", it's less a rule and more recommended etiquette. ModBot has a PERMABLOCK command that allows people to add the nominated abusers to the community blacklist, however this list is only used when somebody opts for the BLACKLIST rule, which is to say that it doesn't automatically apply to all giveaways. You're not going to be in the running for a GAF ban unless your case is particularly egregious (e.g. the infamous javadots was found to be trading away the games he'd won for items on his Steam wishlist and became aggressive when confronted).

Was out for the last two days for surgery. Still quite groggy due to the anesthesia but what I've learned in the past few pages that I skimmed is that it's the time to craft badges now?

Sorry if this question is already beaten to death already.

Yes. Winter Sale cards have replaced coupons as a badge crafting reward and you can recycle your unwanted emoticons/wallpapers for gems if you so desire, which in turn can be used to either bid on auctions or craft boosters.

Faustek

If you're referring to "Do not trade keys you win off-site ...", it's less a rule and more recommended etiquette. ModBot has a PERMABLOCK command that allows people to add the nominated abusers to the community blacklist, however this list is only used when somebody opts for the BLACKLIST rule, which is to say that it doesn't automatically apply to all giveaways. You're not going to be in the running for a GAF ban unless your case is particularly egregious (e.g. the infamous javadots was found to be trading away the games he'd won for items on his Steam wishlist and became aggressive when confronted).

Yes. Winter Sale cards have replaced coupons as a badge crafting reward and you can recycle your unwanted emoticons/wallpapers for gems if you so desire, which in turn can be used to either bid on auctions or craft boosters.

Hmm, nah was mostly just wondering if I should use modbot even if I had bought the keys and just didn't need them. For example like this SE Christmas keys from last year. Already owned the games so instead of just sitting on them I dropped them here. Or how I do with DLC I'm never going to touch. There as well it was a case of doublets.

JaseC

Hmm, nah was mostly just wondering if I should use modbot even if I had bought the keys and just didn't need them. For example like this SE Christmas keys from last year. Already owned the games so instead of just sitting on them I dropped them here. Or how I do with DLC I'm never going to touch. There as well it was a case of doublets.

Ah. That's exactly what ModBot is for. ;)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Sonic Generations -- MB-E66B1D0BAF3D0487 - Taken by The Reloader. 4 entrants total.

t1418464909z1.png

Have fun.

Edit:

Does this game have a gifting lock?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323490/

Yakkue

->
Stumpokapow said:
What is ModBot?
ModBot is a GAF posting bot that you can use to give away games or anything else to your fellow users. You are not obligated to use ModBot, feel free to use other giveaway services or none at all. But it can save you time and keep your keys safe. If you post game keys in a thread, they will be immediately and anonymously claimed, most likely by people who do not have GAF accounts. The thread will become a derail as users with accounts try to claim the keys and find they are already taken. Then, you will have to edit out your post to reflect this fact. ModBot saves you the trouble.

Thanks for the reply.

Oh boy. This will be a long night for me. I have to restrain some physical movement for now so just clicking things on a computer won't hurt me. Time to craft some badges. Not really interested in gems though.

Enco

I may be missing something, but what's the point of bidding?

Unless if you have tens of thousands of gems, you wont win anything. Right?

Seems like a complete waste of time.

Today is the date of my birth.

http://i.imgur.com/WoIWDHK.gif[/I MG][/QUOTE]
Happy birthday bruh!

Yakkue

Thanks for the reply.

Oh boy. This will be a long night for me. I have to restrain some physical movement for now so just clicking things on a computer won't hurt me. Time to craft some badges. Not really interested in gems though.

I hope you'll feel better soon, take care of yourself and take it easy!

E: I've just started to dig through my inventory - why is a rare background I received through crafting worth less gems than some common one I also got through crafting? Does it depend on the price of the game (Indie vs AAA in this case)
I'm not sure, but I don't think it has to do with how much the game is worth. The booster pack prices at least seem to be affected by how many cards a certain game has, rather then by the value of the game itself. (Note that I could be wrong, that's just my impression)

Happy birthday!

Dr Dogg

So with selling my rubbish items, gemming my high value items, crafting anime boosters with my gems, selling said anime boosters for ~10% profit over items gemmed, Idle Mastering the rest of my cards as well as crafting badges to get Seal Cards I'm topping up the wallet funds and clearing out my inventory at a pretty crazy rate.

http://i.imgur.com/WoIWDHK.gif[MG][/QUOTE]

Happy B'day!

[quote="Boss Doggie, post: 143109772"]lol people comparing Steam to PS+, how laughable.[/QUOTE]

I like PS+ but I see it nothing more than a limited choice rental service that you are constantly paying for to maintain access. The wording some folks use behind it cause all manner of inaccuracies. Like that thread I saw the other day where it said Sony gave away some much worth of games. Well one they didn't give them away as folks had to pay a sub to be able to access them in the first place and two if you don't maintain your sub you don't have access to them and are simply borrowing them. Then again it's also the gateway to multiplayer on PS4 so I can see why some folks are a bit defensive just like some were about Live Gold despite getting ripped off.

Top Bottom