• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't trade for items. Just sent gems.

Then that's why you didn't get a copy. To send someone a one-way trade you have to confirm that it's a gift -- you're not being reimbursed because you voluntarily gave away the gems for free and therefore, technically, didn't lose anything.

The_Monk

Minimalism would seem to dictate you would use a keyboard bereft of letter symbols not include more.

But as a compromise to your requirements:

Portuguese Apple wireless keyboard

In addition to looking exquisite, that keyboard has a aluminum frame and the white keys will not stain easily.

That would require myself to know where the symbols are in all keys, something I haven't memorized yet but I get your point. Thanks a lot for your help and for the link! The price is what it is to be expected considering the brand, I believe. :)

Gem bids on all games really are getting inflated beyond any reasonable value. Even totally obscure small games have bids in the thousands. I'm wondering whether this is people front loading all their gems for the badge upgrade or have they actually stockpiled ridiculous amounts of gems. The fact that gems are now untradeable means game auctions will end up higher than sale (or even normal price) if you apply the roundabout dollar to gem conversion rate of 7 cents per 100 gems.

Its crazy really. CSGO is guaranteed to be 50-75% off during the sale. Yet people are keen on wasting all those gems.
It won't be 75% off. 50% is the maximum discount it'll get.

Gem bids on all games really are getting inflated beyond any reasonable value. Even totally obscure small games have bids in the thousands. I'm wondering whether this is people front loading all their gems for the badge upgrade or have they actually stockpiled ridiculous amounts of gems. The fact that gems are now untradeable means games auctions will sell for higher than sale or even normal price if you apply the roundabout dollar to gem conversion rate of 7 cents per 1000 gems.

7 cent per 1000? Have I missed something in the last 10 hours? Even with 30 cents per 1000 the prices are still mostly reasonable imo

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
capsule_467x181.jpg

Some thoughts on Alien: Isolation-

Positive:
  • Great atmosphere.
  • Stunning attention to detail.
  • Really strong first half and a great build-up to the reveal.
  • Likable main character, good voice acting.
  • Really solid port with excellent performance.
Negative:
  • Way too long, should have ended around Chapter 10.
  • Backtracking wasn't executed well.
  • Stealth becomes more of a chore than a thrill after a while.
  • Both pre-order DLCs were lame.
As an Alien fan, I think it's a really cool effort by Creative Assembly. I hope they do a sequel so that they can work out the kinks from this game. I don't see this game having much appeal to non-fans of Alien though.

Jadax

7 cent per 1000? Have I missed something in the last 10 hours? Even with 30 cents per 1000 the prices are still mostly reasonable imo

The popular games are totally not reasonable if you take sale prices into consideration. It's even worse if you consider tf2 trade prices.

For less popular games this auction seems good, but then that depends on how much the gem prices will shoot up when auctions are about to end.

yuraya

It won't be 75% off. 50% is the maximum discount it'll get.

I got it last winter sale for $3.74. But yea the population for that game back than was very small. Now that its grown a lot Valve won't discount it so low again. But still 62k gems is a waste. You can craft like 20k worth a booster packs. Sell those packs n just get the game for 7$ or wtvr. The bidding stuff is crazy n it will only increase once the high rollers start bidding minutes b4 the auction round ends.

The popular games are totally not reasonable if you take sale prices into consideration. It's even worse if you consider tf2 trade prices.

For less popular games this auction seems good, but then that depends on how much the gem prices will shoot up when auctions are about to end.

I guess you're right. People were able to make a lot of cheap gems in the beginning, so that has to be taken inot consideration as well. And since there is no market value for gems right now, there is literally nothing else you can do with them unless they become marketable again, so the value is even less.

As an Alien fan, I think it's a really cool effort by Creative Assembly. I hope they do a sequel so that they can work out the kinks from this game. I don't see this game having much appeal to non-fans of Alien though.
Only saw a few minutes of the first film and half of the fourth, and I loved the game.

I wish gems were actually that cheap.

Sorry that was a typo. 7 cents per 100 gems.

I got it last winter sale for $3.74. But yea the population for that game back than was very small. Now that its grown a lot Valve won't discount it so low again. But still 62k gems is a waste. You can craft like 20k worth a booster packs. Sell those packs n just get the game for 7$ or wtvr. The bidding stuff is crazy n it will only increase once the high rollers start bidding minutes b4 the auction round ends.

I believe they stopped doing 75% sales as a sort of deterrent to cheaters who stockpiled copies during sales and then used them on fresh accounts as their old ones got banned. And yes, of course, it's increased popularity allows them to hold the discount at 50% too. The bidding right now is out of control. Just hoping it comes down to sane levels midway through the auction.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wonder if Gems will go up in price.

I'll wait until the last two days of the sale before crafting all my gems into booster packs.

Oh right. Most gems were created for much much less though.

The average price will go up with time of course. If you started at the very beginning you'd get 100 gems for 3 cents. Now it's up to about 8 cents for 100. At some point most gems will have been made at higher prices. The increase in price of gems plus the escalating bid prices are going to make the games won in auctions quite expensive.

derExperte

Are people seriously expecting to get games for a good gem-price? If yes, there'll be much bitching come Monday. I'll go all in on some indie game to get the badge and I won't care if it makes financial sense, I predict many will act the same.

840 EVO all the way. PROs are some overpriced snake-oil.

The 850 EVO looks to be a nice improvement, better than the 840 PRO and even in some cases the 850 PRO. But their prices are still unattractive of course, getting a cheap 840 EVO is the way to go.

pahamrick

Are people seriously expecting to get games for a good gem-price? If yes, there'll be much bitching come Monday. I'll go all in on some indie game to get the badge and I won't care if it makes financial sense, I predict many will act the same.

Basically. I went all-in on a sub $20 indie game that's still EA. It's one I want, and if I win awesome -- if not, I'll snag it soon as its out of EA.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm eyeing some niche stuff and also some overpriced shovelware no one wants. Im fairly confident I will be able to pick up a couple of them at a good price. Then again im aiming for the stuff in less demand.

Nordicus

Actually kinda yeah, but chances are that I won't even touch the first 20 rounds even when my bidded games are pretty niche.

Still, not bothered either way, because when (if...) the next auction comes up, everyone overenthusiastic about the winter auction will have spent all their gems salvaged from years' supply of emoticons and backgrounds, while I will still have mine

hohoXD123

I have sustained 500 MB/s read/write performance on my 840 EVO, how is that low-perf?

Same, then RAPID mode finally got fixed after the new update and now the benchmark is saying that my read speed is 650 MB/s and write speed 2900 MB/s, lol. The speed is pretty insane, even programs like Photoshop only take a few seconds to load up,

Ban Puncher

The 850 EVO looks to be a nice improvement, better than the 840 PRO and even in some cases the 850 PRO. But their prices are still unattractive of course, getting a cheap 840 EVO is the way to go.

Yeah, the only reason I jumped on this 1TB 840 EVO was that it was insanely cheap, like over half the regular price off. It'll make a suitable home for a dedicated Steam directory.

Thorgal

capsule_467x181.jpg

Some thoughts on Alien: Isolation-

Positive:
  • Great atmosphere.
  • Stunning attention to detail.
  • Really strong first half and a great build-up to the reveal.
  • Likable main character, good voice acting.
  • Really solid port with excellent performance.
Negative:
  • Way too long, should have ended around Chapter 10.
  • Backtracking wasn't executed well.
  • Stealth becomes more of a chore than a thrill after a while.
  • Both pre-order DLCs were lame.

I could go and write an essay sized port of what i liked and disliked abgout the game but to keep this short :

Positive's : everything you mentioned . :p

The negative :

ill let Gopher explain it for me why the Save point method is the worst possible method they could have come up with for a player like me and him who highly value immersion .:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjegUcnqz1k

derExperte

I have sustained 500 MB/s read/write performance on my 840 EVO, how is that low-perf?

The 500MB aren't sustainable when you copy large amounts of data for example since these numbers get reached through clever caching in the EVOs and the they'll also lose against the PROs when copying or reading many small files. But that doesn't matter one bit for an average consumer/gamer PC.

Top Bottom