• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Nzyme32

There no chance that an archive can be found later is there?

I'm not sure. It's doubtful, unless there is another online radio service that does that kind of thing or ClassicFM re-air it. I may be able to write down the tracks they play as they go though

Edit - actually, I may be wrong, looks like you might be able to via the web player itself

Saty

Valve doesn't need microtransactions to fund continued support for released games. They can do that just fine with the cut they are taking from every game sold on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, come on, we want Portal 3.

I don't think there'll ever be a sequel to Portal 2 from a narrative standpoint. If anything, Valve will revisit F-STOP: a prequel set during ApSci's heyday with a non-portal-related mechanic.

Valve doesn't need microtransactions to fund continued support for released games. They can do that just fine with the cut they are taking from every game sold on Steam.

They're not going to put money and effort into F2P titles if they don't get a return from it. They're not a charity.

Portal's done. And really, two games were enough. Maybe F-Stop will be a thing. Maybe.

Unless the mechanic gets added to HL3 to spice things up.

Arthea

About valve
sometimes people freak me out with somewhat creepy gabe pics, but than again I always remind myself that this is more of a joke or even meme than a real thing
(don't tell me if it is otherwise, thank you (><)
And their support is probably worst I've ever seen, but it's still one of the best services around, gog is great in ways steam will never be, but in a ways of community building, social aspects of gaming, fun sales, valve is pretty great. Well sales mostly and lately gog is really killing in this department too.
I got so used to steam in my two years with it, that I never even think about my reservations of years before.

I crafted badges all day and I'm not done yet. (._.)
All metagames are fine and dandy, but holding badge crafting for half a year and doing it in one day seems to require more than a full day...
and it is boring to boot!

I'm personally hoping for "Press F to have Freeman speak" cutscenes.

you can always mod those in, you know
we won't stop you

Saty

They supported games with patches long before they had Steam and had games with microtransactions fluff. They would have problem to keep patching w\o there being microtransaction revenue stream. You might say it's a good business practice for the games to support themselves rather than rely on money gain elsewhere that in a far future would diminish or vanish.

They supported games with patches long before they had Steam and had games with microtransactions fluff. They would have problem to keep patching w\o there being microtransaction revenue stream. You might say it's a good business practice for the games to support themselves rather than rely on money gain elsewhere that in a far future would diminish or vanish.

But those games weren't F2P. Sure they could do that. Nintendo could give all games away for free for a year since they sit on so much money. There's no chance of either thing happening though.

Thorgal

If not for the want to overwrite? prompt, it'd be a heck of a lot more immersive than quicksaving or any such stuff.

Really funny to hear that Gopher really hadn't been paying attention in-game though, lol.

Nothing new though... :p Anyway, I personally felt they added a lot of immersion once I ripped the prompt the hell out. And added to the tension, big-time.

And lol. "Saving her existence"... Wat.

Why is there even a 'do you want to save ?" message anyway in any game . ?

" oh no , i only crawled to the save station while praying not to be discovered just for giggle' s ./s

if i am going to a save station i am doing so with the intent to save so why even have a message like that ?

Saty

CS:GO isn't F2P. And in general, TF2 & DOTA2 would have been supported the same if they didn't have microtransactions.

MUnited83

For you.
CS:GO isn't F2P. And in general, TF2 & DOTA2 would have been supported the same if they didn't have microtransactions.
Nah, not really. TF2 woud be dead now if it didnt have microtransactions. Also, what monetization you would suggest instead?

Maniac

Banned
He's one of the main Dota guys and of the trio (Erik Johnson, Adrian Finol) who basically got the Dota2 ball rolling.

That's... Eeeeh... Here I am, having been in the closed beta of Dota 2, and I had no idea Walker was part of the trio. He's always just been "Team Fortress Guy" to me >_<
Portal's done. And really, two games were enough. Maybe F-Stop will be a thing. Maybe.

Unless the mechanic gets added to HL3 to spice things up.

I don't know if I'd say it's done, but it's definitely done for now, I do believe they can do something cool, funny and interesting with it at some point, but it's probably far off.

There's still lots of potential in Aperture, the Portal series itself and of course, the portal mechanic, and like you said, I wouldn't mind seeing it in a future HL game but I can't help but agree that it's done for now, at the least.

dex3108

Don't get me wrong i love Valve and i love how they were persistent enough to make PC gaming matter again. I love their games SP or MP. But sometimes i wonder have they crossed a line. For example when you boot CSGO what do you see in your menu? Ads for items you can purchase for real money. And yes they are locking some content behind paywall in CS (remember CS is not F2P) with their Operations. For example Arms Race that i mostly play contains 5-6 maps and that is it. No new maps since launch if i am correct.

I just want them to stop monetising everything even if we are talking about cosmetic items. They tried to monetise Portal 2 too with hats and flags and i ma scared that if we get another SP game from them we will have that issue.

And regarding Portal 3 i think there is enough material for that. Portal 2 CooP ending is interesting and that ending can be hint for P3. That ending is perfect intro for customisable characters and guess what that is perfect opportunity for monetisation :D

JaseC

Modo: Steam Edition was yanked earlier. The other two Modo apps are still available; it's just Modo vanilla that's gone.

image.php

Saoirse doing her best Elizabeth Olsen impression.

Two years before Olsen first appeared in a film, too. ;)

GO suffers from heavy cheaters problem, that's why it's not free. Also, the Operations themselves aren't paywalls if we're talking about the maps, which are the main attractions. Everyone can play them for free. The troubling element in the recent operation is the mission cooldown timer which you can negate with money. That's mobile bs.

Booted up the swapper to get some cards and...the game is pretty dang great. Probably end up playing it all the way through next.

One of my favs from last year.

Copons

I was thinking today about Valve and Steam and i have one question for SteamGAF.

Why we love Valve (beside sales)?

Their games are filled with microtransactions, last few years they are looking to monetize everything they can, their communication with users is minimal, they are rarely listening community, no SP game since Portal 2 ( if i remember correctly), Sale Meta Games are worse...

:D

Everybody already said it, but I wanted to chime in anyway.

Microtransactions in Valve games (and Steam too) are not only purely cosmetic and optional, and in no way they limit the features of their games or store, but you can actually make money (well, virtual money, but still, usable to buy other games) through them.

Even disregarding Steam cards, I've only spent like 4.50€ in game in CS:GO to gain accesso to the latest operation, which basically mean that I have some sort-of-achievements to fulfill and they reward me with stuff I can easily sell on the market to recoup what I spent in the first place. Meanwhile, the operation's maps are free to play for everybody.
Now, this last operation isn't worthy as the previous one, but still, even if I never dropped expensive skins, my CS:GO balance is totally in the black.

Ok, while I was writing you posted this:

For example when you boot CSGO what do you see in your menu? Ads for items you can purchase for real money. And yes they are locking some content behind paywall in CS (remember CS is not F2P) with their Operations. For example Arms Race that i mostly play contains 5-6 maps and that is it. No new maps since launch if i am correct.

You got it wrong!
During operations every CS:GO player has access to the new maps!
What you pay with the operation pass is, in short, a number of in-game achievements (like: "score 20 kills with a sawed-off in a deathmatch on dust2"; "win 16 rounds in a competitive on train", etc.) that reward you with cases or skins, and some various stats about how you're performing during the operation.
There is no paywall at all that prevent you to play every map in every mode.

Maniac

Banned
Why is there even a 'do you want to save ?" message anyway in any game . ?

" oh no , i only crawled to the save station while praying not to be discovered just for giggle' s ./s

if i am going to a save station i am doing so with the intent to save so why even have a message like that ?

Yeah, I don't know. It's silly. I can't fathom why there isn't simply a setting for turning off the prompt either. I don't even remember how I removed it, either... Lol

... CS:GO was dead prior to having skins and microtransactions added. The microtransactions did a lot in helping with funding a TON of tournaments, which got a lot more competitive players involved, and with tournaments comes viewers, and viewers quickly become players or vice-versa. And no, TF2 would have been long dead, and Dota2 would've never gotten off it's feet if it wasn't F2P.

Besides, you're making it sound like they're the only ones that benefit from it... But there are thousands of creative folks out there that're able to live off of the money they make through the Steam Workshop, and a lot of freelance people with the freedom to work on whatever they want to because of it. UGC has always been important to Valve, and monetising it so both they and the creators benefit is a bloody great thing for everyone involved.

But sometimes i wonder have they crossed a line. For example when you boot CSGO what do you see in your menu? Ads for items you can purchase for real money. And yes they are locking some content behind paywall in CS (remember CS is not F2P) with their Operations. For example Arms Race that i mostly play contains 5-6 maps and that is it. No new maps since launch if i am correct.

I just want them to stop monetising everything even if we are talking about cosmetic items.
You can still play the operation maps if you don't pay. And Arms Race has just had like half a dozen maps added to it.

And sure, they can stop monetising stuff, but then they'll also have to stop continuously updating their games with content, too. And if CS was F2P, hackers would run rampant. There's a good reason it's not F2P, and the microtransactions do so very much for the good of the game and it's players, I just can't see how nor why anyone would complain about them really.

Anteater

I was thinking today about Valve and Steam and i have one question for SteamGAF.

Their games are filled with microtransactions, last few years they are looking to monetize everything they can, their communication with users is minimal, they are rarely listening community, no SP game since Portal 2 ( if i remember correctly), Sale Meta Games are worse...

steam is just a store to me, don't really give a shit as long as the service is good, same goes to other services/digital stores. I only liked 1 game from them and not as much as everyone else apparently.

Jadax

And? Microtransactions you don't have to use ever unless you want a new skin (for Dota 2).

I don't play csgo or tf2 so don't care for those.

Purchases made on the Steam Store give holiday cards. I just bought the new Blaze Blue game and it gave me two cards. I figured it wouldn't get any cheaper since it just released and I wanted to play it now. Played the first on XBOX 360 and really liked it. That and it's a game I know the wife will like as she enjoyed the first one as well.

Vecks

I have no idea what's going on with this auction stuff. Been just buying cheap junk on the market to make boosters. But the market has been kind of haywire for me, showing the wrong prices. I hope I'm breaking even at least.

derExperte

Purchases made on the Steam Store give holiday cards. I just bought the new Blaze Blue game and it gave me two cards. I figured it wouldn't get any cheaper since it just released and I wanted to play it now. Played the first on XBOX 360 and really liked it. That and it's a game I know the wife will like as she enjoyed the first one as well.

Interesting, good to know.

Parsnip

Whatever microtransactions they do in dota or whatever doesn't erase their previous games.

And I like those games.

Nzyme32

Somehow Enhanced Steam is breaking the Games List on the auction site for me and a friend of mine. Without Enhanced Steam I can browse through 133 Pages of Games. With Enhanced Steam I only see 20 Games, and can't browse.

Without ES:
http://abload.de/img/unbenannt1m1fyo.jpg

With ES:
http://abload.de/img/unbenannt2infry.jpg

I'm using Firefox. The Screenshot without ES is from Chrome.

I am not having this issue in Chrome with the ES extension. I'm guessing maybe a Firefox version issue?

MUnited83

For you.

Parsnip

JaseC

Top Bottom