• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Chariot

So, I'm this close to buy Shovel Knight at $8 from a guy in the B/S/T thread, but I'm kinda new to Steam (only started using it this year), so I wanted to know: if I wait for the Christmas sale am I probably going to get a better price than that? Dunno how big the discounts usually are.
There is a chance for that, but don't think that it get that low in the next sale. However, it won't hurt you to wait a few days, the offer in B/S/T won't just vanish, yes?

Arthea

So, I'm this close to buy Shovel Knight at $8 from a guy in the B/S/T thread, but I'm kinda new to Steam (only started using it this year), so I wanted to know: if I wait for the Christmas sale am I probably going to get a better price than that? Dunno how big the discounts usually are.

We get some crazy good discounts at every sale, but not for games as new and as popular as Shovel Knight. Then again, we don't really know anything, before the sale starts, last time we got crazy good discount on BattleBlock Theater which was a new game at that time.

Axass

Not really, unless you buy it from russia.

$8 is a ~$2 profit margin, which is ridiculous. The Winter Sale begins in a week-and-a-half, so just wait it out.

The dev said Shovel Knight will not be discounted this holiday. Can't find the source at the moment though.

There is a chance for that, but don't think that it get that low in the next sale. However, it won't hurt you to wait a few days, the offer in B/S/T won't just vanish, yes?

We get some crazy good discounts at every sale, but not for games as new and as popular as Shovel Knight. Then again, we don't really know anything, before the sale starts, last time we got crazy good discount on BattleBlock Theater which was a new game at that time.

Thanks guys, guess I'll wait for the sale to start before buying... but I thought it started around the 18th? Jasec's saying a week and a half, did I miss a memo?

Arthea

Final Dusk is released already, btw, and it's cheaper than I thought it will be.

edited: otoh Oblivious Garden... is kinda expensive
edit2: well well well, we aren't getting SanctuaryRPG steam keys it would seem, because a game going to be f2p at some point? Why devs keep doing it, it never worked for everybody that I'm aware. And selling future f2p game is not a right thing to do to begin with.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Looking at all the Santa hats ITT, I for one can't wait for Real Picture January...

I guess I'll use this photo of me:

abDIBey.png

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, wait, I slightly misread the tier list. It would have made more sense to make the Ninja pack in its entirety part of the base offer, with the Showstopper set being the Tier 1 reward. The rewards haven't changed, but on the console retail side of things, GameStop gets the Ninja and Aloha sets while Amazon/Best Buy get the Showstopper and Beach Party sets, so the PC version missing out one of those "just because" seems a little unfair.
so confusing interesting-only-for-saoirse stuff, got it!

in any case, i hate that system, i'm sad to see it back from the rightfully dead

i think it's been pretty much confirmed it's not gonna be much cheaper but for 8 bucks i absolutely recommend it

one of my favorites of the year, it'll charm your butt like very few games can

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks guys, guess I'll wait for the sale to start before buying... but I thought it started around the 18th? Jasec's saying a week and a half, did I miss a memo?

Haha, apparently I accidentally changed the date on my calendar earlier. Yeah, it kicks off in a few days.

Maniac

Banned
I kinda prefer this approach to the concept over The Forest's. I'm still not really sure why I even bought The Forest.

I like the underwater part and procedural generated levels. I'm not giving up on Forest yet.

I fucking love the atmosphere of The Forest. The cannibals and mutants are excellent too, and terrifying as fuck... When they work, anyway. The Forest has a mega-fuck-ton of potential, and it's also pretty fun even now - That's why I personally bought it. Stranded looks really good though, I look forward to seeing more of it.
Haha. Yeah, I feel you. It doesn't make sense but if games bought via GOG would net Steam keys, I'd be all over it.
I am really curious how GOG Galaxy will turn out.

So you got Banished on GOG? Nice and jelly. How did you like it?
I really, REALLY love it. It's such a well-made game. It's pretty hard at times, but it's the good kind of hard. It takes a lot of planning and thinkin' about strategies to survive. It's damn satisfying when your entire village survives a winter!
I've never been much into badge crafting. I only level up to stay ahead of my friends list limit.

You're a popular lad eh?

Momentary

Banned
Yo GAF dat Guilty Gear Xrd is LEGIT, ish looks good on my old ass Phillips HDTV and the game is so beautifully animated.
Dat Pot.
Dat Slayer back walking animation.
DAT RAMLEGAL.

Oh you're EU PSN? I'm planning on just getting the EU versions too, hopefully they are 50 Hz optimized.

I will hold fast on my conviction to not buy a PS4 for this game. I'm going to hold out o n the eventual Steam release.
I hope.

Arthea

Any impressions on bit Dungeon II?

Don't recall if it ever was in a bundle, looks just right up my alley though...

According to ES it never was bundled, but it looks familiar, probably from greenlight. I wonder why there is no greenlight logo on the store page. It's a strange omission.

I'm, like, the coolest kid in school.

It's amazing you need all those levels, I think I don't use even half of my allowed friend count. And I'm so cool I freeze a chair when I sit on it!
(._.)

You sure those won't get discounted to better prices?

At this point, I don't think there is even one game that can't be bought cheaper than on that auction. (><)
It's pure insanity!

Maniac

Banned
I fixed my internet woes by resyncing with the phone unplugged. At first I thought that perhaps the filter was the issue, but I reconnected the phone and have still been holding 6Mbit. Go figure. That's $178 back into my Winter Sale fund.

Yay, mo' money, mo' unplayed games! Congrats :p
Haha, actually I've deleted a few. ;) Namely one-use traders and people who begged for games/items.

... That's my begging plans out the window then!
:(
I'm, like, the coolest kid in school.

You are indeed!

JaseC

It's amazing you need all those levels, I think I don't use even half of my allowed friend count. And I'm so cool I freeze a chair when I sit on it!
(._.)

Well, I don't need to be level 81 as I'm 17 friends shy of my limit, but I'll hit <10 soon enough, at which point I'll spend a few bucks and move to 85. The annoying thing is that I'm no longer in the zone where you can move forward a level by maxing out a badge (IIRC, it's 700 XP between levels now).

Yay, mo' money, mo' unplayed games! Congrats :p

It didn't last all that long. :( I went ahead and ordered the router. Even if it doesn't entirely fix my stability issues, the boost in wireless range/performance will be welcome, plus since it has a LAN port that doubles as a WAN port, I won't need to buy a replacement should I find myself on a fibre connection in the not-too-distant future.

FloatOn

He wrecked me on normal, spent an hour trying to beat the bastard, but I did get more or less the hang on parrying by the end of it. If he's inexperienced in character action / spectacle fighter games, then he's likely gonna suffer at the Blade Wolf battle if he doesn't know how to parry by then.

let me say this about that...

Lords of Shadow 1 was my first character action game

I think I'm fucked.

Arthea

Well, I don't need to be level 81 as I'm 17 friends shy of my limit, but I'll hit <10 soon enough, at which point I'll spend a few bucks and move to 85. The annoying thing is that I'm no longer in the zone where you can move forward a level by maxing out a badge (IIRC, it's 700 XP between levels now).

Trust me, I know everything about it! especially after spending 3 days on badge-scraping thingie. (><)
The good part, that after this sale I never will buy a card again! well, except for games that I want badges of
as my goal was 100th lvl and I'm about to get there

Reading all of those The Talos Principle impressions pushed that game on top of my Must Play as soon as possible list XD Maybe Santa will surprise me :D

aww... so bad? and I preodered it as
a present for my steam bd (><)

dex3108

Reading all of those The Talos Principle impressions pushed that game on top of my Must Play as soon as possible list XD Maybe Santa will surprise me :D

Nordicus

You sure those won't get discounted to better prices?
You can only really know for sure after the auction's done, but right now, I've got like 20+ bids that are at a value that's at most 10% of the best recorded discount price.

Shit, 6 of those are 100 gems or less. That's 6 frickin eurocents. Just don't be in a hurry to get the first 20 copies

Arthea

You can only really know for sure after the auction's done, but right now, I've got like 20+ bids that are at a value that's 10% of the best discount price.

Shit, 6 of those are 100 gems or less. That's 6 frickin eurocents. Just don't be in a hurry to get the first 20 copies

I haven't seen a single game bellow 4K or something, and that's 2€ more or less for games that go on sale for 1€ or so. What are you talking about? Or you don't have a lot of cheap games, because I own probably all, as all games I checked were ones I don't have.

JaseC

I e-mailed Devolver asking if I could receive a Steam key for the two tie-in games if I were to pre-order but was ignored. :(

XShagrath

We really don't know what's going to happen with these auctions. I have a feeling the sweet spot is going to be to trying to win somewhere in the middle. People that have leftover gems near the end of the sale are going to use them all on those last few copies that are left.

I've only got about 6K gems, so I'm going to probably just bid on a couple of really high wants and see what happens. Definitely gonna wait for this first auction to end first though.

The_Monk

I remember when I got the Collector's Edition from Dead or Alive 5 back in the day when I had a PS3. I even put a picture in the Pick-up Post, good times.

Z3Adoul.jpg

Nordicus

I haven't seen a single game bellow 4K or something, and that's 2€ more or less for games that go on sale for 1€ or so. What are you talking about?
The offers given right now on a lot of obscure games drop like a rock within their top 100. Anything from 90 to 99% on games that don't have that many bidders.

Or you don't have a lot of cheap games, because I own probably all, as all games I checked were ones I don't have.
Maybe I don't, my Steam library's only 139 games big.

Arthea

We really don't know what's going to happen with these auctions. I have a feeling the sweet spot is going to be to trying to win somewhere in the middle. People that have leftover gems near the end of the sale are going to use them all on those last few copies that are left.

I've only got about 6K gems, so I'm going to probably just bid on a couple of really high wants and see what happens. Definitely gonna wait for this first auction to end first though.

I'm not so sure, yesterday I noticed at what rate sacks are bought, that's incredible rate! If all people are using those gems for biding, every round will be as bad or almost as bad. Then again I'm not interested in software, and most of the games, so my perspective probably is skewed somewhat.

You can only really know for sure after the auction's done, but right now, I've got like 20+ bids that are at a value that's at most 10% of the best recorded discount price.

You must be bidding on very unpopular games, that's the only explanation I can think of.

Arthea

I remember when I got the Collector's Edition from Dead or Alive 5 back in the day when I had a PS3. I even put a picture in the Pick-up Post, good times.

http://i.imgur.com/Z3Adoul.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

I'm not into CEs, but this looks great, especially those driver gloves! (><)

Nordicus

You must be bidding on very unpopular games, that's the only explanation I can think of.
Yup, that's essentially the strategy I'm going for.

Tried games like Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun: Dragonfall but I dropped off of their top 100 in an instant so I just cancelled my bids on those and buffed up bids on other stuff. And repeat the cycle whenever raising my bid to keep in top 100 on a game becomes too frequent

Lirrik

So what's the cheapest way to get gems now? Buying sack of gems seems cheaper than buying items and converting them, is it not?

Top Bottom