• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Anyone want to share their auction strategies?

I'm hanging back for the first couple of rounds. Just to see how it pans out. I probably could win one I want if i dumped all my gems in but I want to see if I can maximize my resources. Wonder if the first few have a crazy amount and after we get through the first few rounds will bids settle down or will they get more nuts as people try to win anything.

Lain

have we talked about

I know that there are some TRPG fans here, do you plan to play it, eagerly awaiting perhaps?

edited: it's supposed to be released tomorrow, btw

I only know that it's been described like some sort of FFT game on some previous Steam thread, and that every time I went to playism site I saw that game and hoped it'd get on Steam at some point.
If it comes with a nice first week discount might grab it right away on release.

Anyone want to share their auction strategies?

I'm hanging back for the first couple of rounds. Just to see how it pans out. I probably could win one I want if i dumped all my gems in but I want to see if I can maximize my resources. Wonder if the first few have a crazy amount and after we get through the first few rounds will bids settle down or will they get more nuts as people try to win anything.

I threw 500 gems at a few which puts me around 5th right now on a couple of obscure games. Hoping for luck really and they fall through the cracks.

This whole auction thing sounds like a disaster as far as keeping track of prices and market value to see if you are actually getting a deal.

Turfster

I threw 500 gems at a few which puts me around 5th right now on a couple of obscure games. Hoping for luck really and they fall through the cracks.

This whole auction thing sounds like a disaster as far as keeping track of prices and market value to see if you are actually getting a deal.

You must have some really obscure stuff.
Hell, most of the stuff I did my 1 gem tracking bid on that's obscure (like the Heroes Rise games) is already more expensive in gems than it will be during the sale...

Hell, most of the stuff I did my 1 gem tracking bid on that's obscure (like the Heroes Rise games) is already more expensive in gems than it will be during the sale...

I don't really want to give away my obscure games, but some games are actually a bundle when you go to bid on it.

Nordicus

Heroes Rise Trilogy? Poked at it with 500 gems and it puts you at #21

MUnited83

For you.
I haven't seen a single game bellow 4K or something, and that's 2€ more or less for games that go on sale for 1€ or so. What are you talking about? Or you don't have a lot of cheap games, because I own probably all, as all games I checked were ones I don't have.

There's several niche games that are on 90%off equivalent. Just gotta search for them :)

well i tried bit dungeon II today , its basically zelda x dark souls , there are many dungeons and you can enter any of them at any time and all of them have a boss fight , the controls are really simple , you attack by moving like Ys 1 and there is a block button and thats it so dont expect anything too complex in the gameplay , there are bonfires just like dark souls but they only work for healing and seeing your stats

im having fun with the game so i would recommend it especially since is less than $5 atm
-

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Holy shit! Look at this update to Mind: Path to Thalamus. This game, remember?

Here it is at last, the promised update! Reworked script and environments, controller and Big Picture support, settings improvements, more music, and lots of other changes. True, the update was promised for September, but it just got delayed and everything didn't come together until yesterday.

In the gameplay area, the most importer change is this one: the balls won’t be annoying anymore while you carry them. They become smaller and appear in the bottom of the screen.

The narrator
Now, the script. The narrator's voice is much less intrusive throughout the adventure and we have streamlined everything he says so that every last word is relevant; the fluff is gone, as is the overly complicated language that came off as pretentious. That said, the ending remains the same; the message or the point of the story has not been compromised. In fact, the streamlined script makes the meaning of the story much clearer.

Structurally, the narrator now only speaks at the beginning of most levels, before your mind is occupied with puzzles, or when you as the player approach certain parts of the environment, which have been reworked to visually tell a story which the script compliments.

Indeed, you read that right: new narrative layers have been crafted into the environments, something that was sorely lacking at release. Also, certain parts of some levels have been completely redesigned. Those with no great changes still have new details for those players who are particularly interested in the story. Meanwhile, if you only wish to solve puzzles or look at the environment, you are now free to do so. Also, as it has become obvious that many of you play for the sake of sight-seeing and taking pictures, all levels will now be unlocked since the beginning. You know that damn puzzle you can't crack? Well, if what you want is to take a good look at, for example, the Zen garden at the end of the game, now you can simply go there!

Big Picture & Utra HD
You wanted more control and you will certainly have it. The game is now controller-supported so you will be able to enjoy MIND in the living room, with Steam’s Big Picture. Of course, there is now an option to configure the vertical axis, and there is support for 4K resolutions . Now you will be able to see every grain of salt at the shallow sea. Literally.

Settings improvements
There are more enhancements coming along with this update. You will be able to set the level of grain and vignetting, including disabling them completely , which is perfect for taking photographs at crazy resolutions.

Achievements, bugs and exploits
Achievements have been fixed —now each and every one of them works. Also, most of the bugs have been put to rest. Why “most”? Two of them have been deliberately left alone, as they are used by speedrunners to quickly (and quite creatively) advance through the game. If you want to know who was the first MIND speedrunner , you can follow their steps and you will find their name!

Future
Generally, this is it. But there is still some more MIND to come. In the near future, there will be translations to new languages and a Mac version. Then, Oculus support. And much later, you may yet find new surprises if you stick around. Did someone say “MIND photography contest”?

Full Changelog here.

He addressed pretty much every major complaint I had about the game. Gonna run through it again and see how it feels now.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
As i'm catching up on the thread... what? Hahahaha.
Damn you lashman for linking that awesome music video and making me buy this game that will never release! =p

shush you ... they ARE going to release it (eventually) ... and it IS going to be at least decent :) I'm sure of that ... they did make Two Worlds II after all - and it was a pretty good game :)

MUnited83

For you.
Hmmm good point. Wonder if I should sell my gems now or wait till after the first auction and see if the price per sack goes up?

I think best price will be 5 minutes before the first auction ends. But then again I don't really know, I guess you could wait for the last auction as well, might rise more then.

Danielsan

Finished Jazz Punk during my lunch break today. Fun and quirky little title, but I guess I was expecting a bit more from it.

Next on my list is Kentucky Route Zero. I only finished the first chapter way back when it first came out.

If any of you bought the groupees Bulid a Greenlight 8 bundle Angels of Fasaria got greenlit, keys are now in the groupees profile and it has trading cards which currently have starting prices of £0.08-£0.15, not bad (or 4 gems if that is the payment you prefer).

As for the game itself, fucking terrible (if you couldn't tell from the screenshots), amateur hour my first RPG maker game that has no place being on the Steam store. Now don't let the user reviews fool you about it being an impossible RPG as it is the opposite after about 5 minutes in when (provided you know to go North which isn't told to you) you get a healer who is a better tank than your knight and very soon gets offensive magic that completely out damages him. That is the game is braindead easy with enemies who can barely scratch you (yet still go first and are hard to run away from, the worst they can do is unexplained status aliments which just prolong battles) except for those one or two enemies who can OHKO the entire party with no warning...well that is what saving anywhere is for.

In fact the biggest hurdle any progress was the general RPG Maker engine bug of a direction key getting stuck for no reason.

Thankfully, the asking price on the Steam store should keep people away though...

*Looks at highest bids*

*Looks at price of gem sacks*

*Compares to actual price of games*

Um...don't? A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
Oh man, my gem count is so pathetic I can't even make a sack...

Completed Freedom Planet. Well, it was short but very funny and beautiful. Basically, is Sonic. The game can be completed in one hour and half, but I took around 5 hours to complete it. Bosses are too easy, I think, and they can be defeated by using always the same move. I never died in the game because your health regens itself, but I think you can die in one hit on some levels with traps or gap. Oh, I played on Casual mode, it this help.

there is health regeneration in casual mode , also you take less damage from enemies

Probably already mentioned, but more Payday 2 DLC on the way

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/games/thediamond/

Diamond Heist : $6.99
Clover Character Pack : $4.99

Guess with the new character comes a new perk deck as well : Burgler

I'm probably going to hold off until a sale on these, I know they give away a lot of free DLC and they have to make money somehow, but $11.98 for 1 heist, 1 new character, a gun or two and a perk deck seems a little high to me. Maybe they will announce if they packs are more substantial than that but I doubt it will be that much.

I'm probably going to hold off until a sale on these, I know they give away a lot of free DLC and they have to make money somehow, but $11.98 for 1 heist, 1 new character, a gun or two and a perk deck seems a little high to me. Maybe they will announce if they packs are more substantial than that but I doubt it will be that much.

I waited for 75% off for the rest of the DLC, will probably do the same here. It adds cool stuff, but not for that much coin.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've been away from the thread for several days (Pokemon happened), only to come back and be greeted by a .gif of a spider coming out of a girl's mouth. Welp, back to (non-Community) Gaming side it is!

I've been away from the thread for several days (Pokemon happened), only to come back and be greeted by a .gif of a spider coming out of a girl's mouth. Welp, back to (non-Community) Gaming side it is!

That gif is better and less painful to look at than 100% of the threads in gaming though.

Uzzy

Probably already mentioned, but more Payday 2 DLC on the way

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/games/thediamond/

Diamond Heist : $6.99
Clover Character Pack : $4.99

Guess with the new character comes a new perk deck as well : Burgler

Clover seems cool, and getting a L85 rifle is awesome. But Payday 2 DLC is on sale so often that it's just sensible to wait. Hell, the Historical Weapons Pack was 75% off in the autumn sale, and that had just come out.

Alavard

I'm almost certainly going to finish off Watch Dogs tonight.

It's been a weird experience. The game keeps hitting this great sweet spot where I'm having a blast and then something comes along that takes me out of the zone and makes me dislike it again.

The story could have actually been pretty good, but the classic recent Ubisoft storytelling strategy of telling you very little is in full effect, just like with the AC series. There's so much we don't know about Aiden or the background of the plot, but rather than treat any of it as a mystery, the characters know about things and just don't bother talking about them.

The combat is pretty solid. Hacking can actually add a fair bit of strategy to it, and varied enemy types (the ones that call in reinforcements if you don't kill them or jam their comms fast enough specifically) can force you to mix up your strategies at the last second. Even the stealth works pretty well, when it's not on rails and gives you more than one possible path.

But then there's anything involving a car chase. If you're chasing after someone else by car, you have exactly two options: a) ram the enemy car until it breaks or b)hope the enemy car runs over some steam pipes or barriers you can hack to instantly destroy it. Unlike the GTA games, you can't fire your guns while driving, so you're incredibly limited in what you can do in a car. There's a lot of stuff to hack on the roads, but most of it does very little. The worst offender is all the traffic lights. You can hack each and every set, but there's little point. Unlike what was shown in the E3 trailer, all that happens is the cars that are stopped from the red lights get a green light and start to pull through the intersection. Absolutely irrelevant at the speeds you're whipping past the intersection.

And if you're being chased by police... oh jeez. There's a couple of very specific tricks to their AI you can exploit (they don't follow over bridges you hack, they don't follow you into water), but other than that, they're relentless. You can destroy car after car by hacking steam pipes, but a new patrol car instantly spawns and joins the chase.

Very few games have bounced me back and forth so much.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That gif is better and less painful to look at than 100% of the threads in gaming though.
Meh, I can parse text much better than a disgusting pic of a spider :p

Besides, I usually know what to expect when entering a thread. I don't expect to see stuff like this in this one.

Tizoc

Completed Freedom Planet. Well, it was short but very funny and beautiful. Basically, is Sonic. The game can be completed in one hour and half, but I took around 5 hours to complete it. Bosses are too easy, I think, and they can be defeated by using always the same move. I never died in the game because your health regens itself, but I think you can die in one hit on some levels with traps or gap. Oh, I played on Casual mode, it this help.

I played on Normal...and the later bosses are brutal.
Now try and play as Carol (green cat) or Milla and see if it plays anything like the Sonic games ;P

Top Bottom