• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Sini

Wtf is going on? I can see everyone else inventories fine, but mine is completely blank.
It fixed itself as randomly as it broke itself.

Did someone see this post of mine:
I won Substance Indie pack. I actually was only interested in Painter and I realized how foolish was to bid on Indie pack only when I already placed the bid. No one managed to snipe it from me either. Oh well.

Does anyone here aim for Indie pack as well?
I took a big risk and added someone who got sniped on Indie Pack bidding and proposed a trade. I'll give him Indie Pack and he'll win Painter for me and give the remaining value of my winning bid in gems.

It went very well
dx11i.png

He even gave me more gems than my winning bid for Indie Pack was worth.

MUnited83

For you.

I took a big risk and added someone who got sniped on Indie Pack bidding and proposed a trade. I'll give him Indie Pack and he'll win Painter for me and give the remaining value of my winning bid in gems.

It went very well
dx11i.png

Where's the indie pack? Can't see it on the auction.

Wow, I sent this last night, but modbot was super slow.

Some DLC I'm not sure if anyone wants, plus Sounddodger.

ModBot said:
Instructions for billmcdougal:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (billmcdougal, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Total War: ROME II - Caesar in Gaul (DLC) -- MB-6CF76BCE3C593B0E
Soundodger Plus and Soundtrack -- MB-A2224EE7F4F4BF52 - Taken by salazar547

baterism

It went very well
dx11i.png

Manly tear of respect had been shed.

I want to ask, is Substance Designer worth it? And what is it for actually? I have read the description and still unsure.
I'm thinking of getting Substance Painter only and I already got Bitmap2Material3.

Dr Dogg

Anyone have tips for this bed of chaos boss? Not only did I just make it to the boss, I also had put the game down for numerous months so I've probably forgotten all my acquired skills.

Yeah but that would give the whole gimmick away. Basically don't treat it like a normal boss fight is all I can say it's not about being super powered but does require a little logical thought. And even that's some super big spoilery pointers.

Lol! I'm with you man. I gave up on the game originally due to it's gfwl quirks, then heard of the conversion to steamworks and decided I would just start all over again. So far it's going great!

I'm about 10 GFWL achievements short of 1000ing it so knowing my indecisiveness it might be a while until I get those. Though I might just get on with the Steam ones as I've got a retail copy and as long as GFWL is up and able to log in it shouldn't be an issue for me.

I just use mouse look and swivel my head outside the window.

I think it's some problem with my gamepad configuration, maybe the dead zone is too big or something, because control is a little weird, even when on the road I have to constantly keep adjusting the direction.

You using a pad too? how do you have it set up?

How much is DOA5 in russia currently? I might want to grab it before Russia market goes to hell :(
Anyone knows a good russian trader?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Steam_Auction_Win2.png

Steam_Auction_Win1.png

Darkness Within 2 & Verde Station won, so far so good. I am aiming to win 10 games total, so 8 more to go, and I'm VERY close, in the top 5 for all 8 of the games right now. Feels good, especially as I haven't paid a cent for gems, these all come from the backgrounds and emotes I had in my inventory from badge crafting.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Looking at my activity feed all I see is lots of people 'unlocking' a shit load of Dark Souls achievements (well that and Ozium still banging on about that Dragon game). Like an amount too quickly to be earned all at once. When I finally get round to knocking out the last of the GFWL Achievements I'm going to start up a fresh save and get all the Steam ones fair and square from actually playing the game.

Yeah, I hate seeing all achievements with the same unlock date too so I started a fresh save. The achievement set isn't particularly hard anyways and it's ton of fun replaying the game for a 3rd time.

Articalys

At the rate things are going I don't even know if I'm going to come out of all this with a profit of even a few cents. I might have lost money already!

This is fast turning into a nightmare if one didn't read the signs early and exploit the gem market hard and fast when everything started.

Arthea

There's a gent in the BST thread but he is a bit generous with his cut of the transaction. Wonder if he'll update to current-day prices or if he'll keep steady.

would you? (><)
I like how people assume that conversion fees of banks don't exists, paypal fees don't exist, etc.. Even if you buy of the friend you still take those fees on yourself, unless you expect them to gift you part of the price every time. That's not how it works, you can't buy a game at a face value, well, you probably can in separate cases, but most of the time you can't. And nobody updates prices in real time, shops included, why would people do so? what if they bought a game when it was more expensive?
or you can disregard all that, dunno why I even typed all this obvious stuff, need to play some games for fun it seems, as I'm getting grumpy (><)

Sini

I want to ask, is Substance Designer worth it? And what is it for actually? I have read the description and still unsure.
I'm thinking of getting Substance Painter only and I already got Bitmap2Material3.
I can't tell much about Designer. I chose Painter because it's more familiar to me and I don't like to mess with nodes much.

Annubis

Rough figure, currently there are 20,477 gem shack which means 20,477,000 gems which should be produced by liquidating 255,962 bgs and emoties. 2 days auction might absord around, lets say, 4 mil. Another 50,000 bgs and emoties. It's hard to believe that combined bgs and emoties in the wild are not exceeding a million if not millions.
However, it seems the market isn't swamped by bgs and emoties for now.
I suspect some people are hoarding them.

The average auction by now should be somewhere around 15,000 gems.
That means that every 45 minutes 2,000 games X 15,000 gems disappear from the market.

That's a loss of 30,000,000 gems every 45 minutes.
That's 960,000,000 gems disappearing just for today.

At market value of 1.35$ (CAN), that symbolizes 1,296,000 $ being 'spent' on games today.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, I hate seeing all achievements with the same unlock date too so I started a fresh save. The achievement set isn't particularly hard anyways and it's ton of fun replaying the game for a 3rd time.

Hahaha I knew you'd understand. Yeah they're pretty straight forward if I recall you just have to make sure you maximise each playthrough to get the maximum amount of spells, hexes and unique weapons and such.

Nzyme32

why the change of currency? Wouldn't russian folks buying locally get affected too?

If it happens, they would be severely effected since transactions in USD would be massively inflated due to the dwindling Rouble. The better solution is to use a currency that is more similar to the value where the Rouble used to be (maybe Turkish lira?). This would still increase costs for Russian users, but no where near as dramatically as USD would.

Nordicus

That means that every 45 minutes 2,000 games X 15,000 gems disappear from the market.

At market value of 1.35$ (CAN), that symbolizes 1,296,000,000 $ being 'spent' on games today.
3 zeroes too many on the last figure there

MrFreemanBBQ

Neo Member
There's a rumour going around that RUB will disappear from Steam OR all prices will stay with RUB, but all products on Steam will be equal to the current dollar exchange rate.

if you're curious, $1 is 73-ish RUB (for now).

For an example, CS Complete Pack costs 499 RUB, in US — $29.99 (CIS — $17.99).

If you'll convert this price into the current exchange rate, you'll get $8.55.

We're doomed, DOOMED!

It's a game-alanche! Just grabbed some stuff from the land of Bears and Games, and then just won a cheap auction for Fotonica (3,700 or so). Got Leviathan yesterday, have my eye on one more auction target today, then i'm getting out of the auctions. If I end up w/ 3 games from the Auction i'm not going to complain, given all my gems came from recycling my inventory garbage, and the 3 games were already on my wishlist.

My big bugaboo is going to be the winter sale. With my new PC showing up January 5th, and it being such a dramatic improvement over my current one (2 generations newer processor, 4X the ram, moving from a 650Ti to a GTX 980), I am going to have to fight the urge to over-buy stuff "just to try it out on my new machine when it gets here." I've got more than enough stuff in the backlog already!

tmarg

At market value of 1.35$ (CAN), that symbolizes 1,296,000,000 $ being 'spent' on games today.

Your 15,000 estimate is too high. There are currently 42 pages of auctions 1000 gems or less, and only 4 pages of games higher than 15k.

Annubis

Your 15,000 estimate is too high. There are currently 42 pages of auctions 1000 gems or less, and only 4 pages of games higher than 15k.

Well, I am including the profile that is hanging at half a million gems.

Even if we divide that number by 3. That's still 320,000,000 gems every day.

Top Bottom