• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

It looks a lot like PilotWings, that is a good thing, so I am definitely going to vote for it!

It looks more like Virtual Racing/Descent to me from a visual standpoint, game play is perhaps more like PW.

Too bad that Nintendo doesn't think that's a profitable IP anymore - along with Wave Race, 1080° and FZero :(

Well we did get PilotWings on 3DS, which I quite enjoyed, so it's not as bad a situation as F-Zero or Waverace.

Lomax

Of course it isn't. There were games using stolen or copyrighted assets and such. That wasn't my intention.
Why would Hatred be denied but games such as Postal and Manhunt allowed? The difference is not readily apparent to me nor to Hatred's developers.

Games don't need official rating to be sold on Steam. Binding of Isaac didn't have any.

Games with questionable/adult content need an official rating or to self-censor, that's what we've been told by several VN developers. And my point was, plenty of games have been rejected for adult content. As for why it would be denied and how it is different than those games, that's been discussed ad nauseam in this thread, feel free to go read those other better written posts you seem to have skipped over.

Valve has said and demonstrated from the beginning that Greenlight votes don't actually mean anything. It just means Valve will give that game some attention and consideration. Plenty of the time games got approved that were lower on the list faster. If a vote was all that mattered we'd have games with nothing but a picture of Moot getting through Greenlight every day.

zkylon

zkylewd
Of course it isn't. There were games using stolen or copyrighted assets and such. That wasn't my intention.
Why would Hatred be denied but games such as Postal and Manhunt allowed? The difference is not readily apparent to me nor to Hatred's developers.

Games don't need official rating to be sold on Steam. Binding of Isaac didn't have any.

the simple enough reason is that manhunt was released on steam at a time where no one gave a shit about manhunt anymore, while hatred is a highly controversial game that would make steam look bad if released

it feels super random because games that are outright scams are being released while this one in particular gets axed because it's horribler than manhunt or postal or call of duty or whatever. like always valve is super shady with how they manage things even tho it's very apparent that seriously hatred may be one of the horriblest games ever made (seriously, fuck that game)

rhaknar also says the devs may be nazis so there's also that

Kanokare

Awesome giveawa-

image.php

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry! Maybe next one won't have PIF

Kiru

Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 7.2.2. This is a maintenance release that only affects the Firefox extension with the following changes:
  • Fixed several bugs introduced with newer versions of Firefox
This update is available only for Mozilla Firefox.

As always, please let me know if you encounter any issues with this release.

Nothing to do with this update, but why aren't games I own highlighted green for me in Firefox like I see on some screenshots around here ? There's no ES settings stuff there for me, but I know the plugin is installed. Dunno what to do.

AHA-Lambda

Sorry but if shit like Bad Rats, Slaughtering Grounds and even stuff like Earth Year 2066 or Air Control get a shot at Steam then so does Hatred deserve a shot; and no that's not me condoning the game's content.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nothing to do with this update, but why aren't games I own highlighted green for me in Firefox like I see on some screenshots around here ? There's no ES settings stuff there for me, but I know the plugin is installed. Dunno what to do.

In your "about:addons" page in Firefox you should see Enhanced Steam listed there, with an "Options" button next to it. Opening the options panel there, you can check "Highlight games you own" or "Highlight games on your wishlist" and you should see the items highlighted.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

this Hatred shit is still going on? amazing... please stop comparing Manhunt to Hatred. You either never played Manhunt, or you didnt see the Hatred trailer. Its not about violence, its about context.

In one game, you play as a dude trying to survive being stuck in a snuff film situation killing a bunch of pyscho murderers

In hatred, you play as literally one of those guys you hear on the news every month that shot up a school full of kids and then killed himself. Seriously, he uses the phrase "my genocide crusade starts now". GENOCIDE. If you dont know the word genocide, look it up and what its implications are in modern society.

He also uses the phrase "im going to kill as many people as I can and then die". While he sets up a bunch of weapons and then proceeds to kill a bunch of normal people begging him not to. And then I presume proceed to blow his brains out or die by suciie by cop at the end, acording from the trailer.

In a time where random shootings are a every day occurance, are you fucking seriou comparing this to Manhunt. Context matters. Why I even have to say this again is baffling to me.

Not to mention the dev's racist tweeter remarks in the past and possible ties to neo-nazi groups. Not to mention that Valve is a PRIVATE COMPANY and they can choose wht they let or dont let in their store, they dont owe you anything.

edit: people comparing this to call of duty or warcraft (lol) or anything that "hey these games also let you kill a bunch of people" are either very young, or just batshit crazy, im sorry. You know what, im not sorry. Im going to make a game where you play as Hitler and the goal is to rape a bunch of women, the more they suffer and scream for help, the better you score. Thats it, thats the goal. I mean, other games have sex scenes and they are on steam, so its fine guys! Context doesnt matter, its all pixels anyway, its fine!

Kiru

In your "about:addons" page in Firefox you should see Enhanced Steam listed there, with an "Options" button next to it. Opening the options panel there, you can check "Highlight games you own" or "Highlight games on your wishlist" and you should see the items highlighted.

Oh god, that worked, I thought I already tried that! Thanks! :D

Lomax

Just got an email that Shadowrun Returns will be back with another Kickstarter in January:

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I backed the first one and was very glad I did and very happy with the finished product, and it wouldn't have existed without Kickstarter. But the game also sold very well (it had a peak players over 25k) and no doubt generated a lot of income for the company, so I would think they could do development of additional campaigns and such with what they have and sell them for a profit. But we'll see what exactly they end up asking for. Either way, I doubt they'll get even a fraction of what they got the first time so I hope they are taking that into consideration.

AHA-Lambda

New campaign or sequel? This news excites me :D

But yeah after the success of the first game and it's DLC they need to justify another kickstarter.

zkylon

zkylewd
this Hatred shit is still going on? amazing... please stop comparing Manhunt to Hatred. You either never played Manhunt, or you didnt see the Hatred trailer. Its not about violence, its about context.

In one game, you play as a dude trying to survive being stuck in a snuff film situation killing a bunch of pyscho murderers

In hatred, you play as literally one of those guys you hear on the news every month that shot up a school full of kids and then killed himself. Seriously, he uses the phrase "my genocide crusade starts now". GENOCIDE. If you dont know the word genocide, look it up and what its implications are in modern society.

He also uses the phrase "im going to kill as many people as I can and then die". While he sets up a bunch of weapons and then proceeds to kill a bunch of normal people begging him not to. And then I presume proceed to blow his brains out or die by suciie by cop at the end, acording from the trailer.

In a time where random shootings are a every day occurance, are you fucking seriou comparing this to Manhunt. Context matters. Why I even have to say this again is baffling to me.

Not to mention the dev's racist tweeter remarks in the past and possible ties to neo-nazi groups. Not to mention that Valve is a PRIVATE COMPANY and they can choose wht they let or dont let in their store, they dont owe you anything.

don't get mad at me but tbh i don't think context makes that much of a difference

like, hatred may be worse but both games are pretty atrocious. i'm gonna not talk about manhunt because it's not a game i ever felt like playing, but call of duty is a series i've played a lot and those games give you a TON of context and justification for doing the most horrific shit you can imagine. it's still a horrible game from an ethics perspective and i still think it's worth a comparison because unlike, say, hotline miami or spec ops the line or bioshock infinite or whatever, it makes no attempts to be critical of the violence and horror it depicts

that being said it's obvious there's more to that hatred game that i knew when i made my own post so i'm prolly gonna stay clear from it but i really don't think that having an excuse makes it better, specially when it's just a guilt wash for you to revel in grotesque violence :/

Just got an email that Shadowrun Returns will be back with another Kickstarter in January:

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I backed the first one and was very glad I did and very happy with the finished product, and it wouldn't have existed without Kickstarter. But the game also sold very well (it had a peak players over 25k) and no doubt generated a lot of income for the company, so I would think they could do development of additional campaigns and such with what they have and sell them for a profit. But we'll see what exactly they end up asking for. Either way, I doubt they'll get even a fraction of what they got the first time so I hope they are taking that into consideration.
i don't really mind but i really hope the next game they make is pc first, tablets second

Uzzy

Just got an email that Shadowrun Returns will be back with another Kickstarter in January

I've no problem with them wanting to do another kickstarter, and I'm excited to see what we get. The original game was alright, but Dragonfall was brilliant, so hopefully we'll get something closer to Dragonfall than Dead Man's Switch.

Chariot

I just wanna say that all Hatred threads were closed. So it would be cool if we could not talk about this. You know we have whisperers here, who could tell a mod and we could get burned.

I don't know much about Dark Souls. I have no idea how the save system works, I think it's bonfires or something. No idea of how some other mechanics work. All I'm aware of is the stamina bar.

And this makes it so exciting. I want to figure all this out in the game so I'm definitely not going to look anything up, unless I really end up sucking. The anticipation is killing me.

Nzyme32

edit: people comparing this to call of duty or warcraft (lol) or anything that "hey these games also let you kill a bunch of people" are either very young, or just batshit crazy, im sorry. You know what, im not sorry. Im going to make a game where you play as Hitler and the goal is to rape a bunch of women, the more they suffer and scream for help, the better you score. Thats it, thats the goal. I mean, other games have sex scenes and they are on steam, so its fine guys! Context doesnt matter, its all pixels anyway, its fine!

I'm pretty much in agreement. The context is really the issue; specifically being a part of the narrative and a singular goal is a problem. This is one of the few times where I agree with preventing a game from being sold.

Uzzy

KoF 98 UM download is live @3@

And here in Europe, I can actually buy it! Good going SNK, you can get some of my money, unlike certain other companies who release fighting games on Steam.

Little weird that I'm seeing two versions though, one at £10.99 and one at £18.99, both called King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Edition Final Match.

Tizoc

And here in Europe, I can actually buy it! Good going SNK, you can get some of my money, unlike certain other companies who release fighting games on Steam.

Little weird that I'm seeing two versions though, one at £10.99 and one at £18.99, both called King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Edition Final Match.

2nd one is a 2-pack @19 Pounds~

Grief.exe

Manhunt 2 wasn't allowed on Steam due to its rating.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sanctum 2 and Crusader Kings 2 are the midweeks, just...supr late lol. It was breaking my brain that there was no midweeks before a sale, damn my ocd

Tizoc

The new Jojo fighting game has Diego in it? Fuck, now I want it even more.

I assume that this means Scary Monster will be in the game and you can use dinosaur Diego.

Pretty sure we'll get that, along with...ya know Final Boss Diego ;P

Yo jawmuncher, you may want to spam Bamco's twitter to get the new JoJo game on Steam, it has dinosaurs!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure we'll get that, along with...ya know Final Boss Diego ;P

Yo jawmuncher, you may want to spam Bamco's twitter to get the new JoJo game on Steam, it has dinosaurs!

I'm hoping alternate Diego will either be an alt like how Dio and Kira were handled in ASB.

It also may or may not have dinosaur infections, jawmuncher.

tumblr_ndz74akSv01s2kojso1_1280.png

Elija2

When it says that your bid is #whatever out of however many bids, does that count the bids that already won? It looks like it doesn't but I'm not positive.

Saty

Its not about violence, its about context.
That's right. And it's Hatred's context that makes the game's violence more 'digestible' for me than say in GTA games if i were to care that much about it.
As you yourself pointed out with the quotes from the trailer: there's no mistaking what Hatred is, what you do in the game and why you do it. There's no room for interpretation. You are a demented psychopath killing civilians. They aren't trying to paint it in any other way. They aren't trying to force any further merit to it. You are a horrible person doing horrible things. Need to let off steam in some video game? Then Hatred is one of the choices. There are no mixed signals. You can't get the wrong or a wrong message by playing it.

In the GTA games however, you play as 'regular' people who are in the crime to this or that degree. The games try to add complexity and depth to the story, raise sympathy and the like.
These are games where i can in one moment be playing bowling or tennis and in the next start a killing rampage against innocent civilians that is at least as violent, as detailed and as horrible. And then get back to pedestrian stuff or get into story scenes that try to present the player character in neutral or positive light. If you care about the context, then what kind of context is this? If i were an impressionable young child\teen, GTA would be more 'dangerous' or appalling to me. What kind of a message that game sends when i can be ruthless killer in one second only for it to be swept under the rug by the title's campaign mode and the story that wants to hit some characterization note or by the fact that you are a 'regular' person. But you so happen to go to killing sprees once in a while with no consequences while the game still tries to depict the player character as multi-layered or a good person 'inside' or whatever they are doing to make him likable.

If you care about context of the violence then you should be more outraged about games like GTA than Hatred.
Hatred shouts out loud 'This is a fucked-up game featuring a fucked up person doing fucked up things. It's nothing more and you mustn't draw anything out of it in relation to real life'. While GTA mumbles half-sentences about i don't know what while the game clearly NOT trying to exclude the character being a murderous nut-job but rather just another person like the rest of us seeking likability by the players but all the while letting you do horrible things to innocent people.

That's right. And it's Hatred's context that makes the game's violence more 'digestible' for me than say in GTA games if i were to care that much about it.
As you yourself pointed out with the quotes from the trailer: there's no mistaking what Hatred is, what you do in the game and why you do it. There's no room for interpretation. You are a demented psychopath killing civilians. They aren't trying to paint it in any other way. They aren't trying to force any further merit to it. You are a horrible person doing horrible things. Need to let off steam in some video game? Then Hatred is one of the choices. There are no mixed signals. You can't get the wrong or a wrong message by playing it.

In the GTA games however, you play as 'regular' people who are in the crime to this or that degree. The games try to add complexity and depth to the story, raise sympathy and the like.
These are games where i can in one moment be playing bowling or tennis and in the next start a killing rampage against innocent civilians that is at least as violent, as detailed and as horrible. And then get back to pedestrian stuff or get into story scenes that try to present the player character in neutral or positive light. If you care about the context, then what kind of context is this? If i were an impressionable young child\teen, GTA would be more 'dangerous' or appalling to me. What kind of a message that game sends when i can be ruthless killer in one second only for it to be swept under the rug by the title's campaign mode and the story that wants to hit some characterization note or by the fact that you are a 'regular' person. But you so happen to go to killing sprees once in a while with no consequences while the game still tries to depict the player character as multi-layered or a good person 'inside' or whatever they are doing to make him likable.

If you care about context of the violence then you should be more outraged about games like GTA than Hatred.
Hatred shouts out loud 'This is a fucked-up game featuring a fucked up person doing fucked up things. It's nothing more and you mustn't draw anything out of it in relation to real life'. While GTA mumbles half-sentences about i don't know what while the game clearly NOT trying to exclude the character being a murderous nut-job but rather just another person like the rest of us seeking likability by the players but all the while letting you do horrible things to innocent people.

so what does this have to do with Valve's decision? Like i said earlier, it's their store, their choice. Hatred can still be sold over the internet to people of poor taste who still would like to play it. That hasn't changed.

And to take on the "bubububub GTA!" argument on: GTA assumes you aren't the worst human being ever, even if it allows you to take actions against innocents. As a price, the police will come after you and if you don't turn yourself in and escalate the situation, they'll respond accordingly. There is no situation where you don't run the risk of the law getting to you unless it's a murder that serves the plot, which is something that other art forms do, too.

Hatred has a right to exist, and with that others also have the right to ignore it. Seems like valve acted within their right, while not violate Hatred's own in any way.

Lomax

Okay, so I got a Steam gift card for my birthday and oddly enough I've never had one before. First thing I notice is one of the games pictured on the card is Fuel, which you can't even get on Steam any more. Second thing I notice is I already own 75% of the games pictured on the card which is simultaneously both sad and exciting. Third thing is I can't remember if adding these funds to my wallet will lock me out of the market. So can someone remind me? No market lockout from Steam Wallet cards.

Saty

so what does this have to do with Valve's decision? Like i said earlier, it's their store, their choice. Hatred can still be sold over the internet to people of poor taste who still would like to play it. That hasn't changed.
I know. My point is that i expected Valve to provide a detailed explanation that would begin to clarify why they deem GTA appropriate but not Hatred.

Pupo

There are people who cares about Hatred? but Hatred is a pretentious garbage, with respect of course (?), but I don't care about that game.

I did my part, GOTY votes made. I can't complain if any of my top three don't win because I contributed.

I'll probably complain if D:OS or DA:I doesn't win, anyway.

Eh? what GOTY votes? haha

pahamrick

I did my part, GOTY votes made. I can't complain if any of my top three don't win because I contributed.

I'll probably complain if D:OS or DA:I doesn't win, anyway.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Guns n Zombies -- MB-9D2C236A09FD5B55 - Taken by Maniac
Gas Guzzlers Extreme -- MB-3C18C0551BEC0C3A - Taken by Naked Snake

that's disappointing

there's an interesting debate to be had with the vilest of games even if it's not necessarily easy to make it happen

The issue is that it frequently becomes this

0EFP7NK.gif

while legitimate conversation gets steamrolled. Add in some empty thoughts on "free speech" or "censorship" and you've got a recipe for a thread not worth the muscle memory required to open it.

Also, the thing people forget to mention when they bring up "vile art" is that, when it's worthwhile, it brings some sort of elucidation on the subject. Nothing here suggests it approaches anything other than a knee-jerk response to the current gaming market, which is both boring and well-tread ground, beyond not being worth discussing on GAF.

zkylon

zkylewd

gta while obviously infatuated with criminal culture, it's still trying to look deeper into it and show the mind of criminals and whatnot. think breaking bad, los sopranos, tarantino films, etc. how successful it is at it is debatable but it's definitely a step up from hatred in ambition.

like, i don't even know what the fuck is hatred trying to do.

The issue is that it frequently becomes this

0EFP7NK.gif

while legitimate conversation gets steamrolled. Add in some empty thoughts on "free speech" or "censorship" and you've got a recipe for a thread not worth the muscle memory required to open it.

Also, the thing people forget to mention when they bring up "vile art" is that, when it's worthwhile, it brings some sort of elucidation on the subject. Nothing here suggests it approaches anything other than a knee-jerk response to the current gaming market, which is both boring and well-tread ground, beyond not being worth discussing on GAF.
yeah, i don't really think hatred itself as a game is interesting whatsoever. it seems like a despicable game that has already made me sick to my stomach to watch, let alone to play. i don't think it's "vile art", i think it's just vile lol.

what i find interesting is the debate around it. like, what if the game is actually really really fun? or why is manhunt better than this? is having an excuse for all the slaughter enough? what about games that don't really have an excuse like hotline miami but that are actually trying to do something with critical intent? what if there's more to hatred that is readily apparent from the trailers? is it better if the random violence is somewhat abstracted like in doom, you're just killing space things?

personally i think it's a good conversation to be had even if it gets pretty easily muddled (i haven't helped either but i'm trying!)

iosefe

gta while obviously infatuated with criminal culture, it's still trying to look deeper into it and show the mind of criminals and whatnot. think breaking bad, los sopranos, tarantino films, etc. how successful it is at it is debatable but it's definitely a step up from hatred in ambition.

like, i don't even know what the fuck is hatred trying to do.

shock value

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Am I one of them?

Sneaky. (See PM)

And seeing as ModBot's back in business again, here's another one:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Maxwood, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Walking Dead Season 2 -- MB-C286FA39C2B37BE8 - Taken by Rand6. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for The Walking Dead Season 2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1418755739z1.png

Top Bottom