• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

err I didnt mean that in a bad way, just in a "youre crushing it with the auction wins", not "you are being a motherfucker to other people" >_>
haha, nah. i didn't mean what you wrote but the gif.

ain't the girl jerking him off during the auction?

don't tell me it's my imagination >_>

zkylon

zkylewd
i know you are being sarcastic but the deal is, the auction house is pretty great..
.. if you know how to use it that is.

forget about new, hyped, well-known games. the savings are either minimal or you even pay more than in a sale.

getting games via auction is really only a lot cheaper when you go for old or not really known titles.

that way you can net big savings. i am talking 80-90% off games which released mere months ago.
is any game in my wishlist a candidate for big savings?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zkylon/wishlist

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
haha, nah. i didn't mean what you wrote but the gif.

ain't the girl jerking him off during the auction?

don't tell me it's my imagination >_>

err I have no idea, I only saw her touch his leg, I didnt see the source. Its Mad Men I think? Someone will know if thats whats happening, I thought they were just competing for the auction >_>

All their games run on steam engines.

I thought the upper-class just called running hot water a "game". Poor people (read: everyone) have to use their breath to fog up windows and play tic-tac-toe on them.

If you don't hear from me, that means North Korea does, indeed, have decent internet and they got me.

Can someone explain me the situation with Valve and Russia?

I know that the Russian Ruble is extremely low right now, but what does this have to do with Valve?

derExperte

I hope GTAV preorder would show up in the sale.

image.php

I know that the Russian Ruble is extremly low right now, but what does this have to do with Valve?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143651038&postcount=17161

Lomax

I know that the Russian Ruble is extremly low right now, but what does this have to do with Valve?

Valve is petitioning the Russian government to replace the ruble with gems as their primary currency.

Grief.exe

Ruble is crashing hard.
People are leveraging the political turmoil to grab cheap games across the world, impacting the publishers' bottom line.
Publishers put the squeeze on Valve.

Speevy

Banned

People have been buying games from the Russian store at absurdly low prices, then selling to users from other regions for really reduced prices. In most cases, think half of the cost. The seller usually takes a small fee for himself.

Basically, they just prevented this from ever happening again.

is any game in my wishlist a candidate for big savings?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zkylon/wishlist
nope. but you can set to only show games off your wl though.
just a tip from me.

check the storepage, historical low prices before putting your bid.
also, don't overbid the current leader by much a long time before the auction ends.

just wait and put your bid 100 gems higher a couple minutes before the end.

worked for me.

if you need help or want to ask more. it's 6am, i need to sleep.
but write me a pm or hit me when i'm online tomorrow again.

night
-
I changed it to a Friends one just in case :p
daaaamn. i am responsible for censorship.

that's not what i intended.

MUnited83

For you.
youre auctioning like a motherfucker Bernardo, damn

auction-o.gif
Yep :) And glad I did. I spent very little, and now that everything is region locked, it was even more of a insane deal.
Didn't the World of Subways release spawn like two days of subway map posting in here?

Yes it did. SteamGAF is amazing <3

Ruble is crashing hard.
People are leveraging the political turmoil to grab cheap games across the world, impacting the publishers' bottom line.
At this point I'm going to go ahead and say that publishers didn't have much to do with it. Valve are more worried with their own baseline and the cuts they get from the games.

zkylon

zkylewd

just a tip from me.

also, don't overbid the current leader by much a long time before the auction ends.

worked for me.

night

nah nevermind

i feel stressed just thinking about it

Ruble is crashing hard.

People have been buying games from the Russian store at absurdly low prices, then selling to users from other regions for really reduced prices. In most cases, think half of the cost. The seller usually takes a small fee for himself.

Basically, they just prevented this from ever happening again.
Thanks people.

madjoki

Looks like Valve has updated Auction badge to give different XP based on stages.

100 XP for grinding gems
150 XP for bidding
200 XP for winning.

Too bad they don't give extra XP for winning more than once ;)

ExoSoul

Banned

just a tip from me.

worked for me.

night
-

daaaamn. i am responsible for censorship.

that's not what i intended.

Why?! Why must you tease me so? D'x
completely missed the wishlist tab and holy shit so many at just above 1k

nah nevermind

i feel stressed just thinking about it
don't. i am much more stupid than you, yet i managed to get cubic for 2 bucks while it goes for 25 currently.

piqued your interest now?

hit me tomorrow.

but i really gotta sleep now zky.

just took a quick look at your wl and i think there are some candidates.

Milamber

I've been ignoring the auction due to the high bids but it seems that some people here are winning with low bids and I really want that badge. Problem is, I traded my gem sacks for wallet money and I am really averse to buying gems again with the current high prices.

Auction Winner badge now worth Two Hundo XP instead of One.

Edit: beaten:
Looks like Valve has updated Auction badge to give different XP based on stages.

100 XP for grinding gems
150 XP for bidding
200 XP for winning.

Too bad they don't give extra XP for winning more than once ;)

Lomax

I keep looking at Clockwork Empires for $10 in gems and thinking that's the price it should have released at, and I probably would have bought it for that. Also seems likely to be a while before it is discounted that much. But somehow buying a game for $10 that isn't even remotely close to complete just seems wrong.

I've been ignoring the auction due to the high bids but it seems that some people here are winning with low bids and I really want that badge. Problem is, I traded my gem sacks for wallet money and I am really averse to buying gems again with the current high prices.

All I can say is try to get over the mental hurdle of your past actions and just judge the auction values on what they are currently at. If the price to win the game you want while buying gems is worthwhile, then making the bid is worthwhile, regardless of prior price or action. That said, I understand that's not an easy mental jump to make.

Articalys

How much profit did you make from selling gems? Take that number and weigh it against whatever a cosmetic badge and a hundred XP is worth to you, and whichever side wins out is the path you should follow.

Though actually, there's a ton of random games that are under 1000 gems, so if all you want is the badge and you don't care what game you use to get it, you're only really weighing like $1.25 against your profits.

Annubis

I'd say keeping your money for buying games in the winter sale. It might be a better strategy unless gems tank tomorrow.

Lomax

I'd say keeping your money for buying games in the winter sale. It might be a better strategy unless gems tank tomorrow.

There's a lot of games that the winning bids now are substantially lower than what they would potentially be in the winter sale, even at 75/80% off (or they are so new they'd never get a discount that high). Any number of $20 games are in the 2-3k gem range now for example.

Milamber

All I can say is try to get over the mental hurdle of your past actions and just judge the auction values on what they are currently at. If the price to win the game you want while buying gems is worthwhile, then making the bid is worthwhile, regardless of prior price or action. That said, I understand that's not an easy mental jump to make.
How much profit did you make from selling gems? Take that number and weigh it against whatever a cosmetic badge and a hundred XP is worth to you, and whichever side wins out is the path you should follow.

Though actually, there's a ton of random games that are under 1000 gems, so if all you want is the badge and you don't care what game you use to get it, you're only really weighing like $1.25 against your profits.
Sold all my sacks at about $1 a while ago so if I rebuy them, they will be higher. I guess I can wait about a day and see if prices crash by then. Thanks for the suggestions.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
One hour last call for my giveaway. Good luck!:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=952993.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GuardianE, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Devil May Cry 4 #10 -- MB-C0FBD8C7D1C8BD4E - Taken by Mengy. 147 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 -- MB-6C59B9C8F869576D - Taken by skLaFarebear. 131 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #11 -- MB-48BE748672B216DF - Taken by chronomac. 128 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #14 -- MB-D089EEFDDFA994F9 - Taken by Revas. 121 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #4 -- MB-94E9C071AF581E1A - Taken by Alfebit. 124 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #5 -- MB-A068F534526D7153 - Taken by Atraveller. 122 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #6 -- MB-FA39100C9282C736 - Taken by efyu_lemonardo. 135 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #7 -- MB-8FAC151A856C7B9D - Taken by Maragidyne. 137 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #12 -- MB-A9821BD908087066 - Taken by -MD-. 131 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #13 -- MB-75F7AB0053E02808 - Taken by Jadax. 133 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #2 -- MB-D26D56055A5897BF - Taken by Accoun. 127 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #3 -- MB-3E1D1609DF9F412D - Taken by swx. 114 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #8 -- MB-918954623C34F94C - Taken by Elija2. 136 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #9 -- MB-6397BF9297AFADEE - Taken by Kyou. 115 entrants total.
Devil May Cry 4 #15 -- MB-9A6D7DE0B836A394 - Taken by Kuroyume. 120 entrants total.

t1418796526z1.png

Right+back+at+ya+b+tch+game+devil+may+cry+4+can_a942db_4381297.gif

Annubis

Sold all my sacks at about $1 a while ago so if I rebuy them, they will be higher. I guess I can wait about a day and see if prices crash by then. Thanks for the suggestions.

Depends, if gems instead go way up, you'd be double screwed.

The compromise might be to get 1 bag now, and find the cheapest auction to win with it. Get your badge and then analyze where it's going.

Given that currently there are 20k gems for sale and 120k for buy, I think the trend is that the price will go up.

EDIT: Although, maybe some people are hoarding them and would flood the market near the end in fear of them losing all value after the 18th.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Based Croteam. <3

yay1gjuue.jpg
yay2hnus2.jpg

Even though the keys were provided without strings attached (which wasn't overly surprising as they are free-on-demand games, after all), I'll still fulfil my promise of purchasing The Talos Principle proper at its current price.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I was totally ignoring the auction thing, until I realized how cheap things could be!
Just got Project Temporality for a little over 1000 gems
probably because it was bundled like twice already, but I didn't buy either of those

scary

here in argieland you can't really change currency but it doesn't sound nearly as dire as it does there

hope things get better
Eh, it's kinda dire too, just that the Queen there (tries) to cover everything up.
The comment of the lines at the bank did remind me of 2001/2002 though...

Word. Hell, in another 14 months i'll be part of the 40+ club Now lemme go get some milk tea and a blanket, and tell you damn kids about the good old Commodore 64 days. We didn't have any Steam, we had 5.25" floppies! We didn't have DRM, we had three-part circular paper "copy protection wheels" we had to use to get out of the first world of Bard's Tale 3! We had one damned button on our joystick.. and we liked it!
Hey now, I'm only 28 and know what you are talking about!
the joys of growing and living in the third world[/s]

this strangely comes at a time where I should be, and was starting to, getting my shit a bit more together and stop spending and playing games so much

so im gonna take it as a sign

in fact I probably caused this

with my mind
I hope you are happy you friend :mad:

Oops. Jinxed it.
¬¬
Good thing I did the Superior Raider thing today then!

Does this apply to South America as a whole or only Brazil?
As a whole, so we all get fucked together while Brazil is enjoying some Guarana Caipirinha under the sun.

Didn't the World of Subways release spawn like two days of subway map posting in here?
Yes, one of SteamGAF's best.
Yerba Mate still trumps it of course.

Milamber

Man, what I would give for an HD three-pack of Mega Man Legends 1+2 and Tron Bonne to be on Steam. MML1 is already on PC, send the rest over!

Lomax

My feeling is that auction prices will continue to trend down for at least another 12 hours, and that gem prices will hold stable for the next day or so. But in Thursday morning before the winter sale, I expect both to jump up as people try to grab stuff at the last minute. And of course I expect gems to crash immediately after the end of the auction and the beginning of the sale unless something in the winter event uses them.

Given that currently there are 20k gems for sale and 120k for buy, I think the trend is that the price will go up.

The price of gems has been largely stable for over 24 hours now. That 120k buy orders means nothing, 90% of them are meaningless tiny bids. There's only 4k bids of a dollar or more and that's barely an hour's worth of demand.

Tektonic

I've got The Ship 2-pack and Space Farmers gifts in my inventory (NOT REGION LOCKED!!!!)

Anyone want them? PM me your steamID and it's yours

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just noticed thats Nero in that GIF and not Dante

once again, proving that Nero > Dante

Top Bottom