• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

denx

Oh great, so Latin America as a whole was bundled together with Brazil despite the fact LA and US Steam store prices are the same except for 2K games. Fuck my life.

I guess this shouldn't affect Humble Bundle keys, hopefully. I have a bunch of games I want to giveaway.

Dr.Acula

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Portal -- MB-C7C86C29F07830B7 - Taken by Nyteshade517. 2 entrants total.

t1418788948z1.png

Found one of these!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
itsp
ModBot said:
Instructions for alr1ght:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (alr1ght, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-D68452E5ADFE1249 - Taken by Skelter

denx

i don't get why someone would buy a region-locked game?

or is it retro-locked?

A lot of people who traded games saw their region-free gift copies of games become region-locked when Steam started to crack down on cross-region trading. The recent changes to cross-region trading apparently had the funny side-effect of unlocking all previously region-locked gift copies of games.

maty

Wait, what? So if you had a game sitting in your inventory that had been retro locked, you can now redeem it? :3

I have 2 copies of Rise of Nations in my inventory (bought from a 4-pack) which used to have an exclamation mark. Now they don't.

Even if they could be activated in other regions, they now seem to be region free.

Anustart

So I'm lost down in this damn Chasm of the Abyss. Though I did find Sif down there. Is he just an easter egg, or do I gotta do something there?

zkylon

zkylewd
So I'm lost down in this damn Chasm of the Abyss. Though I did find Sif down there. Is he just an easter egg, or do I gotta do something there?

finding sif allows you to summon him for the final boss fight of the area. there's also a small easter egg that happens if you summon sif and then you go kill him in the "present time"

A lot of people who traded games saw their region-free gift copies of games become region-locked when Steam started to crack down on cross-region trading. The recent changes to cross-region trading apparently had the funny side-effect of unlocking all previously region-locked gift copies of games.
oh wow. i wan't there when this happened i think.
games in inventory got region-locked? must have sucked :/

so at least that's good.

Sarcasm

Saw this down in the not used section

ModBot said:
ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sarcasm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Antichamber -- MB-38237DB2C13DEC79 - Taken by Reg

got 5 games for about 6€.

games worth over 35€.

not really bad.

and still got my 10€ in my wallet for winter sale.

thanks to gaf - no really, i learned so much stuff from you guys here - compared to summer sale i am doing purchases much more thoughtful and i check if the deal is actually worth it.
thus getting so much more bang for my buck.

you guys are really a cool bunch. thank you all.

alr1ght

The number of people trading with the Russians can't be super high, can it? Publishers are probably just being greedy.

Fired up Dark Souls just to test out Steamworks and the new DSFix with 60fps and all that. Game still manages to look pretty damn good despite the fact that it's graphics are technically not all that.

I randomly started the game with the Knight class and fuck me this guy is slow. So slow that I actually had to start an FPS monitor to confirm I was running it at 60fps because otherwise it feels like I'm playing at 20fps :(. Played for a while just going through Undead Burg before dying twice to the Taurus demon because the fatty can't even get out of the way of an attack fast enough.

Going through the starting area though... It's interesting how I remember struggling so much in the tutorial area and start of Undead Burg back when I first played the game. Those guys who throw firebombs right outside the first bonfire of the Undead Burg totally wrecked my shit back then. The upside was that you felt like you had to fight for every inch while playing the game. That feeling was kind of gone with the second. I think this is one of the reasons people rate DS1 higher than DS2... knowing how to play a Souls game makes it feel a lot easier even if the games are equal in difficulty (which they're not, but still). I suspect quite a few people would find DS1 easier than DS2 if they had played and struggled in DS2 first.

Anyway, moving on, I'm starting to notice that most auction games have reached a stable bid price. All of the 10 odd games I'm tracking are now consistently selling in the same ~500 gem range. So even if the max bid drops a little bit after a successful auction, someone pulls it back up slightly before the next round is over. I'm going to monitor this for another few hours and if it holds, that will be my cue to pick up whatever I can manage to get. I have a feeling prices will go up tomorrow and I need to give myself some time to get rid of any spare gems that I might have left over.

zkylon

zkylewd
don't worry guise you just have to buy sacks of gems in the market and go on a bidding war and you can get any game you want

Lomax

The number of people trading with the Russians can't be super high, can it? Publishers are probably just being greedy.

There's some indication that it has increased substantially in the past year, though we don't know for sure. It seems pretty clear this blanket movement was more in response to the economic situation in Russia though and has little to do with publisher influence.

don't worry guise you just have to buy sacks of gems in the market and go on a bidding war and you can get any game you want
i know you are being sarcastic but the deal is, the auction house is pretty great..
.. if you know how to use it that is.

forget about new, hyped, well-known games. the savings are either minimal or you even pay more than in a sale.

getting games via auction is really only a lot cheaper when you go for old or not really known titles.

that way you can net big savings. i am talking 80-90% off games which released mere months ago.

If I was a publisher I'd actually be annoyed by this. I've bought a number of games from traders mostly because they were very cheap. Without traders I probably would have just waited for a bundle. I was going to get Blazblue after Christmas. Now I'll wait for at least 75% off.

alr1ght

What do you consider "super"?
I could only guess, but less than 5-10% of sales to EU/NA users are traded.

There's some indication that it has increased substantially in the past year, though we don't know for sure. It seems pretty clear this blanket movement was more in response to the economic situation in Russia though and has little to do with publisher influence.

Hopefully it's just temporary and once the rouble stabilizes they open it back up again.

If I was a publisher I'd actually be annoyed by this. I've bought a number of games from traders mostly because they were very cheap. Without traders I probably would have just waited for a bundle. I was going to get Blazblue after Christmas. Now I'll wait for at least 75% off.
But those who would have bought their games at 50% off might turn to traders instead. That's a loss of money for publishers.

Top Bottom