• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Milamber

Hey, my wallet went from $5 to $18 since this gem thing launched, I don't feel like a chump ;-)
I'm not too angry, I got a 20€ game from my wishlist for 1.2€ and got the badge, but now I'm done with the auction stuff, I don't wanna end with a lot of useless gems.
If you play the auctions right, it's just like eBay, where you can end up getting a great deal on something you want. If getting a good deal on something I want makes me a chump... well then...
I'm not arguing we are idiots for losing out on this, we definitely won out if we played it properly. I'm arguing about the people that still complain about how Valve benefits from all this.

Elija2

Was I the only one unaware that gems are staying for good? o_O (for boosters, not auctions)

Are they staying forever or is it just until January or something?

If they are staying forever, I'm assuming there won't be another auction that uses them ever again because some people will have saved up huge stockpiles of gems.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Unless DOTA2 threads count as steam threads I don't think so. :p

youre right, he hasnt. straight from the source too. Well... shit

...shut up Infinite! >_<

edit: is ground zeroes using the usual $=&#8364;lol rule?

dex3108

Based Croteam. <3

yay1gjuue.jpg
yay2hnus2.jpg

Even though the keys were provided without strings attached (which wasn't overly surprising as they are free-on-demand games, after all), I'll still fulfil my promise of purchasing The Talos Principle proper at its current price.

I told you :D Croteam is cool :D

I've never really watched South Park before, but the game is so satisfying that I cannot wait to watch the show now.

Also,
as a French guy living in Montreal
, I really enjoyed the part
in Canada involving some French translation
. Great fun.

MUnited83

For you.
If you play the auctions right, it's just like eBay, where you can end up getting a great deal on something you want. If getting a good deal on something I want makes me a chump... well then...

Maybe... maybe not.
There's no guarantee (are the odds even in FAVOR?) of a discount on a game that just released.

.... it releases on the starting day of the Steam Sale. It's definitely getting a discount.

Nordicus

Are they staying forever or is it just until January or something?

If they are staying forever, I'm assuming there won't be another auction that uses them ever again because some people will have saved up huge stockpiles of gems.
And similarly, some people will have used their huge stockpiles of gems

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Alright! I'm done with the auction. Did not spend a cent on gems, used the excess backgrounds and emotes I did not want to pay off for these auction games, got the 10 games I had my eyes on obtaining from this.

All more obscure games, but managed to get them all so I'm happy, and a nice exchange for the stuff I did not want otherwise. I consider this auction a success.

bigzgod

Well, this new policy is going to make the Steam Secret Santa I'm participating in pretty hellish for those in the cheaper regions. They're now forced to buy either cd keys or buy it from friends in US/Canada.

Articalys

The biggest thing I've learned from the auction is that the next time Steam unveils some sort of new metagame, I should jump on it immediately, analyze it quickly and carefully, determine the optimal way to exploit the system, and act on that plan swiftly -- or, failing that, to otherwise stay the hell away from it altogether. Any other course of action will just result in an effective monetary loss, like what I'm facing right now.

Nordicus

Alright! I'm done with the auction. Did not spend a cent on gems, used the excess backgrounds and emotes I did not want to pay off for these auction games, got the 10 games I had my eyes on obtaining from this.

All more obscure games, but managed to get them all so I'm happy, and a nice exchange for the stuff I did not want otherwise. I consider this auction a success.
Nice job on the Joylancer, been looking at it myself

Articalys

Sometimes I'm a little scared by how powerful the information from SteamDB is. Four of you are now members of the game's official community group despite the fact that the game hasn't technically been announced yet.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Well I'm left confused. I got a notification about a new item in my inventory and it turned out to be 20 Gems. Why 20 gems? It's not like that's usable in any way

At the risk of someone quoting the OP, have they let slip when the sale starts?

The 18th, the moment the last auction has ended.

Tektonic

Next question: 1067 gems
a) sell
b) turn into booster - which one is worth it?
c) bid on some game i'll never play, but will sit idly in my backlog

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
DOA5 has 32 characters o_O

I thought it was like...8. Im so behind on this series. I know Kasumi, and the other one, the purple hair one, and Ryu and...err...Bayman. Tina and her pops, the bruce lee mofo and the pretty boy good guy. So yeah, I know 8 DOA characters lol

Milamber

I really don't hope MGS V launches at €20...

You're right. Add the imaginary tax and launch at €25.

DOA5 has 32 characters o_O

I thought it was like...8. Im so behind on this series. I know Kasumi, and the other one, the purple hair one, and Ryu and...err...Bayman. Tina and her pops, the bruce lee mofo and the pretty boy good guy. So yeah, I know 8 DOA characters lol

My DoA character knowledge is primarily relegated from the doujins.

Top Bottom