• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

zkylon

zkylewd
Was I the only one unaware that gems are staying for good? o_O (for boosters, not auctions)
i just found out from you, so no

Lets talk about another queen then, LLTQ.

It's still being sold for 9$ of gems while it will be probably be 5$ when the sale starts.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lltq is another la-mulana kind of failure on my behalf

some day i'll really learn how to play it

nuDante > Nero > Dante > that white goop that old people have in the corner of their mouths > Virgil
i mean if we're going that way then lady > all

but that's just personal preference because i think a rocket launcher bayonet is both incredibly stupid and fascinating at the same time

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
eh this kind of talk bores me

i got enough of it already in my life
Fair enough.

Was I the only one unaware that gems are staying for good? o_O (for boosters, not auctions)
I wasn't aware, that is good to know!

nuDante > Nero > Dante > that white goop that old people have in the corner of their mouths > Virgil
That is some hipster DMC character order :p
I don't hate the new Dante or Nero, honestly don't care much for any...

Is that Dante in the nude?
DmC Dante aka Donte aka Dino

Lomax

Anyone else find it sort of skeezy that Valve got the devs to donate the games for the auction? It's not like the proceeds go to charity or something, and Valve has clearly made millions off of this whole event. You'd think they would at least pay the sale price or something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That is some hipster DMC character order :p
I don't hate the new Dante or Nero, honestly don't care much for any...

I dont care about anyone on the DMC series actually, they are all "cool flashy sword and gun guy" to me, I was just trying to invoke the wrath of Dahbomb and it didnt work :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I dont care about anyone on the DMC series actually, they are all "cool flashy sword and gun guy" to me, I was just trying to invoke the wrath of Dahbomb and it didnt work :(

DahBomb doesn't really dislike Donte. But I do. He's WB teenybopper drama jackass.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
DahBomb doesn't really dislike Donte. But I do. He's WB teenybopper drama jackass.

it has little to do with new Dante and more to do with the white stuff in the corner of old people's mouthes being better than Virgil

Dahbomb is a Virgil fanboy

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
*brofist*

Nordicus

So I wake up and see that overnight the one big game released last month that I really want has risen from 8.5k to 9.5k as top bid and I've dropped over 5 positions in bidder list

y6MxGkC.gif

Bluddy hell

Deitus

it has little to do with new Dante and more to do with the white stuff in the corner of old people's mouthes being better than Virgil

Dahbomb is a Virgil fanboy

He was legit losing it at the news of Vergil in DMC4 Special Edition. Not a criticism, but it was quite entertaining to watch. Between that and them basically incorporating all of his requested fixes into the DmC remaster and it must have been like Christmas for him.

But he doesn't post in this thread, so your troll attempt was in vain.

Milamber

Anyone else find it sort of skeezy that Valve got the devs to donate the games for the auction? It's not like the proceeds go to charity or something, and Valve has clearly made millions off of this whole event. You'd think they would at least pay the sale price or something.

What's skeezy about it? They stated that they just asked for a donation for an event. Devs know they won't get much back from a donation, other than a small revenue of cards and exposure and possible future sales.

I give to a homeless man, I don't expect something back at all.

Rhaknar

He was legit losing it at the news of Vergil in DMC4 Special Edition. Not a criticism, but it was quite entertaining to watch. Between that and them basically incorporating all of his requested fixes into the DmC remaster and it must have been like Christmas for him.

But he doesn't post in this thread, so your troll attempt was in vain.

he does...sometimes :(

Not sure why you're trying to evoke someone who hasn't ever posted in a steam thread. :p

pretty sure he has

Lomax

What's skeezy about it? They stated that they just asked for a donation for an event. Devs know they won't get much back from a donation, other than a small revenue of cards and exposure and possible future sales.

It's just that Valve had to know they would profit from this, so getting all the games as donations just seems unnecessary. At least they could make the pretense of it being some sort of charity event. Instead it's just "hey, thanks for the millions in free games that we made millions in profits off of, appreciate it guys!"

I'm not saying it's a horrible thing, just seems more, I dunno, Ubisoft-ish.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

yeah - because if there's one company that REALLY needs more money it's definitely volvo ... I mean - if it wasn't for that auction they'd probably be homeless by now

oh, wait ...

_hekk05

Banned
yeah - because if there's one company that REALLY needs more money it's definitely volvo ... I mean - if it wasn't for that auction they'd probably be homeless by now

oh, wait ...

They net 10% of every transaction as revenue. How many gem sacks have already been moved in the market?

Milamber

It's just that Valve had to know they would profit from this, so getting all the games as donations just seems unnecessary. At least they could make the pretense of it being some sort of charity event. Instead it's just "hey, thanks for the millions in free games that we made millions in profits off of, appreciate it guys!"

oh, wait ...
Having more money is not a bad thing. Valve's gotta pay for their continued development of tech we'll never see and their company vacations somehow.

Also, Valve has been completely transparent in what they accomplished with the gem rackets. Of course anything meta done by Valve serves to fill their coffers. It's not new, we all know this.

_hekk05

Banned
Gems they get 100%

I mean just purely from market transactions.

They then net an additional cut from people selling boosters or cards. No costs for that
Games in the auction are donated, so no costs for that.
People crafting badges from cards get items which are then sold/converted into gems
More cuts

Getting rich by a thousand cuts

baterism

Auction pumps money to the market. And by market, I mean people who play in it. Market give people steam wallet funds. Those people then use their Steam Wallet to buy games. Also need to be remembered that in order to make gem, transaction need to be made among people, not directly to Steam.
Which in turn profit: A. Game dev & publisher (70%) B. Steam (30%) C. User, if you consider getting games as a gain.
Of course Valve also got profit from market transaction. Pretty clever actually.
There's a message about that behind the Naughty List comic. A win-win indeed.

Gems they get 100%
Not directly, you need to buy bgs and emoties from users.

Lomax

Having more money is not a bad thing. Valve's gotta pay for their continued development of tech we'll never see and their company vacations somehow.

Also, Valve has been completely transparent in what they accomplished with the gem rackets. Of course anything meta done by Valve serves to fill their coffers. It's not new, we all know this.

Yeah, I'm not like "omg valve is so evil" or something, I guess since it took me a while before I noticed the whole donation thing I had just assumed they were paying the devs for the games, and it took me a bit aback when I realized that they had to have made millions off of this event largely on the back of that generosity.

Milamber

Besides, the only chumps in this game is us, the consumer, who continues to follow the metagame for a chance to get their virtual shiny badges. Most of us know this yet most of us play it.

Lomax

Besides, the only chumps in this game is us, the consumer, who continues to follow the metagame for a chance to get their virtual shiny badges. Most of us know this yet most of us play it.

Hey, my wallet went from $5 to $18 since this gem thing launched, I don't feel like a chump ;-)

I'm not too angry, I got a 20€ game from my wishlist for 1.2€ and got the badge, but now I'm done with the auction stuff, I don't wanna end with a lot of useless gems.

Grief.exe

Keep in mind we are likely to see a discount from the base price due to the winter sale.

I'm not too angry, I got a 20€ game from my wishlist for 1.2€ and got the badge, but now I'm done with the auction stuff, I don't wanna end with a lot of useless gems.

Sell them, price has never been higher.

If you play the auctions right, it's just like eBay, where you can end up getting a great deal on something you want. If getting a good deal on something I want makes me a chump... well then...

Keep in mind we are likely to see a discount from the base price due to the winter sale.

Maybe... maybe not.
There's no guarantee (are the odds even in FAVOR?) of a discount on a game that just released.

Top Bottom