• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Nabs

Sweet, i won 3 small indie games in the auction. Looks like people are using scripts or something though.

That's just the way Valve set up the bidding system. It'll try to keep you in first as long as you have the gems to afford it.

I think.

Arthea

I wonder how long it will take to see results of this decision. Sure Region pricing was there to lower piracy in countries with low income but i am sure it helped many indie devs or maybe AAA devs to sell more games and earn more money even if buyers were outside that region.

It is always better to sell something for 30-40% lower price than not to sell it at all.

that was point I was trying to make all along, how many of us buy high priced games day one in other regions because cheapo! And how many of us will hold of till we can $5 when this option is removed. Of course we'll still buy games we want to play right now and forever, but what about all those games that "maybe", "IDK", "should I?" and those are 98% of what we buy? that would be my estimate. So yeah, very bad decision for all sides, especially indies.

Chariot

Hohoho ho boy.
I go to sleep and Valve region locks the cheap world. This is quite saddening. But even more saddening is the hyperbole and outrage of some people.

dex3108

that was point I was trying to make all along, how many of us buy high priced games day one in other regions because cheapo! And how many of us will hold of till we can $5 when this option is removed. Of course we'll still buy games we want to play right now and forever, but what about all those games that "maybe", "IDK", "should I?" and those are 98% of what we buy? that would be my estimate. So yeah, very bad decision for all sides.

I would love to hear opinions from devs about this. They have data from Steam and it would be interesting to see sales charts before and after region lock. I would love to support aver game day one but if i have a choice to support 2 developers for 60$ instead 1 for 60$ i would always choose first option. Why? It simply doesn't matter, buying one game and then waiting 6 months to buy other on discount or waiting 6 months to buy both on sale is practically same as buying from other region day 1.

Messiah

That's my joke

Sue me
:Smilin:

It is fine: the orders are asymmetric, you can still hope that this is temporary.

TsvpHSa.png

Well, I wasn't thinking about selling them at all. I'm just kicking myself for accepting that trade yesterday, had this happened yesterday I'd have kept the game or asked for more keys :lol

Arthea

I don't understand people, why Catan bids are still so high, I thought the game is broken as in unplayable and imagined I'll pick it if really cheap in case it'll be fixed someday, but it seems it won't be cheap at all, for an unplayable game that is

You can try the Rime Be
r
ta for only 13€ though.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312600/

I liked this joke (><)
I'm torn on Rime Be
r
ta, on one hand I won't be playing it any time soon, on another I feel like supporting this endeavour.

Knurek

I'm torn on Rime Be
r
ta, on one hand I won't be playing it any time soon, on another I feel like supporting this endeavour.

The WinterRussians are coming, Arthea, save some money.
(Also stock up on food, medicine and ammunition, and play NEO Scavenger)

My DualShock 4 is coming as well. No more faffing about with x360ce (I will need to faff about with DS4Windows instead).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
funtastic bags of generosity

Resi 4 has the worst implementation of motion blur I've seen so far. Crysis is still the most tolerable when it comes to this "feature".

I need to see the mess later when someone is streaming it.

Arthea

The WinterRussians are coming, Arthea, save some money.
(Also stock up on food, medicine and ammunition, and play NEO Scavenger)

My DualShock 4 is coming as well. No more faffing about with x360ce (I will need to faff about with DS4Windows instead).

Thanks for reminding me, I'll start stocking on those things that I'll need to survive to play my games one day.
I'm not sure should I laugh or cry, maybe both? (><)

Yeah about that, I'm still undecided which new controller to get, anybody here has both and tried both? on PC I mean.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for reminding me, I'll start stocking on those things that I'll need to survive to play my games one day.

Yeah about that, I'm still undecided which new controller to get, anybody here has both and tried both? on PC I mean.

I haven't tried the DS4 but the X1 controller is great. You can't go wrong either way, really, unless wireless connectivity is of particular importance.

Knurek

Can't stand asymmetric setup personally, so there's literally no choice for me.
I already bought a Logitech controller and personally hate it - the buttons are too clicky and get stuck, the triggers require too much force. Was supposed to use it instead of DS2, but after a 2 hour AssCreed session I developed such a cramp that I didn't really use it unless it was absolutely necessary (FFXIII didn't recognize my DS2, so had to soldier on through the game with A button getting regularly stuck).

onionfrog

Just saw the news about activation locks on Russian games.

Its truly the end of an era. I feel sorry for all the cool traders I bought games from in the buy/sell/trade thread.

Valve plz :_;

JaseC

Back from my London trip. What have I missed?

Hatred is back on Greenlight, complete with an apology to the dev from Gabe (somebody went down a notch in his book, haha), and every game on Steam is now region-locked by way of ACRTAG.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of thesaucetastic, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (thesaucetastic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Nuclear Dawn -- MB-29F691B0E8D62B39 - Taken by chronomac. 2 entrants total.
Star Ruler -- MB-34F2F2E8399E6C48 - Taken by hepburn3d. 1 entrants total.
The Lost Crown -- MB-CD8DD4301F2958B9 - Taken by Catshade. 2 entrants total.

t1418813308z1.png

Deques

No more region trading except EU-US, more Japanese games on Steam, Valve items are not tradable/marketable 7 days after purchase on Steam Market, Ground Zeros will be 20$ on release.

WHAT?! I go to London and this happens?
btw, I have been gone for 5 days, what else has happened?

JaseC

And then seeing how long it takes them to revoke the keys :/

Yeah, Temple of Osiris marks the first time GamersGate has had revoked keys from paying customers and I don't see it being an isolated incident.

That's an erroneously brief explanation. What happened is that ACRTAG was applied to everything, so it's not as though unrestricted gifting is literally limited to Europe and the US.

Miguel81

I need to see the mess later when someone is streaming it.

It's pretty bad, especially if the player decides to use the 30fps lock along with it.

Love the DS4(standard bluetooth), but the X1 pad would definitely win the beauty contest. Probably the most visually pleasing controller of all time, with a functional dpad this time around apparently.

Deques

Yeah, Temple of Osiris marks the first time GamersGate has had revoked keys from paying customers and I don't see it being an isolated incident.

That's an erroneously brief explanation. What happened is that ACRTAG was applied to everything, so it's not as though trading is literally limited to Europe and the US.

So for us Europeans, the only place to find cheap games are now from US? :(
US prices are still overpriced compared to Russia prices :(

Edit: Just won Super Time Force from the auction :)

Chariot

btw, I have been gone for 5 days, what else has happened?
The ruble went off the edge. The currency is burning so hard, russian shops already try to use other currencies and apple stop selling products in russia. I am sure Valve always thought of this, but had to accelerate the process when the russian ruble started bleeding out.

Top Bottom