• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Maniac

Banned
Tomorrow can't come soon enough. I have some 70 badges to craft, and Ground Zeroes shall be mine the instant it's available. :3

Also rip russian bear. I was going to buy Shovelknight from Dmix today... But alas I cannot. :(

baterism

Just to be clear, it's not region-locked in the sense that a gift copy/retail key* would be useless to you; it's simply not available to purchase.

* You'd require a VPN to activate the key. While using a VPN to skirt region-specific pricing on the Steam Store itself is a big no-no, to date Valve's looked the other way when it comes to activating region-locked keys, presumably because it doesn't see a cent from them.

So it just need VPN to enter it to my library, after that it's good? Interesting, but I'll wait and see how they handle MGSV/demo. Currently the store page can be seen just fine, but if suddenly they lock Asia out, well, I know how to deal with it.

This is another issue, where asian devs / pubs don't make their games available at all, for no known or logical reason. I don't live in those areas and it pisses me off too.

I suspect it is the retailer. If 2K SEA price debacle shows anything is that retailer have strong voice in that area. It could be stronger to Japanese pubs as they are more conservative.
About SEA price and 2K: they rise the price 30% after they got complain from Singaporean retailer. I'm still pissed off, fuck those guys. I don't care about physical disk, I don't want to pay shipping. Still cheaper, but the though that the price is risen because it hurts retailer in other country is annoying.

cicero

Most of Nuuvem's offerings are region-free. Outside of Deep Silver titles and to a much lesser extent Sega games, region-locked BR subs are decidedly rare.

Thanks for answering all of these questions, as ever you remain the GAF wizard for Steam related info.

This whole situation sure has taken the wind out of my sails for this coming sale...

Steam review system is messed up, The Abbey which I won on auction has "mostly negative reviews", yeah, it has 3 reviews, 1 positive and 2 negative, and one of the negative ones is from a person who has no clue what he's saying, the game is based on The Name of The Rose, what was that guy expecting?

Anyway, there should be a minimum of reviews before it goes all "mostly negative", because that affects possible buyers. I don't think 2 negative and 1 positive is mostly negative.

Don't even joke about that.

Who says I was joking? :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
seems that after burner climax is off the marketplace.

another game to add to the sega petition I think.

That's due to the game having licensed aircraft. It's unlikely to ever return.

So it just need VPN to enter it to my library, after that it's good? Interesting, but I'll wait and see how they handle MGSV/demo. Currently the store page can be seen just fine, but if suddenly they lock Asia out, well, I know how to deal with it.

If you were to find yourself with a key, yeah. A Steam gift copy would be entirely region-free, provided of course it was sent from somebody outside of Eastern Europe/South America/South-east Asia/Turkey.

Ruruja

Just crafted an Agarest badge and of course I got the one background that's worthless when all the rest are worth a lot.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
At least I can still get games from the US should something like, for example, Left 4 Dead 3 be released only as a cut version on the German Steam.

Or Valve is doing something stupid like SquareEnix with the Sleeping Dogs remaster version which is impossible to get uncut on Steam in Germany even if there is no legally reason to do so.

That would be a sad day indeed and a much bigger problem than just getting no more cheap games.

MQX

Welp. I'm actually sad about this decision(of Valve). Was thinking to buy some games through someone I have on Steam(he helped me a couple weeks ago to get DOA5LR ;P). Also BBCSE is region locked/not available in Europe :/. I guess I have to find someone from Japan or from Norway :/(or maybe use a Japanese/Norwegian Steam Account + VPN?) to get some "cheap" games or games that are Region-Locked(Region-Locked as in "not available for this region" :/).

At least I've got DOA5LE for a great price :p.

JaseC

Welp. I'm actually sad about this decision(of Valve). Was thinking to buy some games through someone I have on Steam(he helped me a couple weeks ago to get DOA5LR ;P). Also BBCSE is region locked/not available in Europe :/. I guess I have to find someone from Japan or from Norway :/(or maybe use a Japanese/Norwegian Steam Account + VPN?) to get some "cheap" games or games that are Region-Locked(Region-Locked as in "not available for this region" :/).

At least I've got DOA5LE for a great price :p.

I'd advise against that.

Bought Baulder's Gate II for my note edge. At least I'll finally get to it despite having the steam version available. Doubt it'll be pleasant though

Vazduh

Won first (and last) auction. Redeeming the game steam gave me another copy of it so here you go :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vazduh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Contraption Maker -- MB-2A4DF729826680DC - Taken by topyy. 4 entrants total.

t1418821589z1.png

Monooboe

Dammit, I couldn't be the only one without the Auction Winner Badge! So now I have it and won Cinders.:D Only 4800 gems and actually a game on my wishlist.

MQX

That...and Valve bans you.
Valve doesn't take kindly to people skirting region-specific pricing on the Steam Store itself.
o.o

So my only option is to jump in the Steam ocean(or the internet ocean), find someone that has an Japanese or an Norwegian account and that person has to gift me the game(s)(like how everyone did with the Russian Steam games)?

Welp. I thought It was easy to use a *other region* Steam account + VPN :/.

Thanks for warning me :p.

JaseC

o.o

So my only option is to jump in the Steam ocean(or the internet ocean), find someone that has an Japanese or an Norwegian account and that person has to gift me the game(s)(like how everyone did with the Russian Steam games)?

Welp. I thought It was easy to use a *other region* Steam account + VPN :/.

Thanks for warning me :p.

Fantomena is a Norwegian. I'm sure he'd be willing to help you out with some stuff here and there.

Knurek

Because I own them on Steam?

I was just raising the possibility of the game being discounted as high on Steam Seal.
Still a great deal for people who care about DRM-'free' games.

Oh my, X1 is xboned in Japan:

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS # |    157.103 |    145.420 |    181.556 |  2.783.900 |  4.447.737 |  17.445.820 |
|  PS4  |     68.041 |     15.971 |            |    906.566 |            |     906.566 |
|  WIU  |     27.334 |     24.469 |     74.903 |    535.886 |    715.852 |   2.061.316 |
| PSV # |     25.013 |     23.341 |     35.946 |  1.091.278 |  1.081.799 |   3.446.635 |
|  PS3  |      7.803 |      5.679 |     23.959 |    436.783 |    794.696 |  10.146.457 |
|  XB1  |        724 |        790 |            |     41.212 |            |      41.212 |
|  360  |        102 |        189 |        536 |      9.566 |     24.103 |   1.648.882 |
| PSP # |          8 |          8 |      6.475 |     97.711 |    419.183 |  20.166.120 |

Milamber

Oh my, X1 is xboned in Japan:

Code:
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
| 3DS # |    157.103 |    145.420 |    181.556 |  2.783.900 |  4.447.737 |  17.445.820 |
| PSV # |     25.013 |     23.341 |     35.946 |  1.091.278 |  1.081.799 |   3.446.635 |
Poor Vita.

Arthea

well i guess now that russian trading is over i will have to buy games at regular price , hope that the sale will be good this time :v

I just had this shocking revelation that my gifting plans are ruined by this! like majorly
what am I going to do?!

Key market value dropping like a mofo. Should be interesting see how much more it drops when the sale begins.

key market is pretty much dead know, what is actual value of keys if we disregard all being steam currency thingie?

I just had this shocking revelation that my gifting plans are ruined by this! like majorly
what am I going to do?!

sudoku?

I never knew how to use keys and shit to buy games, so I'm mostly unaffected, it still sucks though, specially since I wanted to buy DOA5, but since I'm a slowpoke and had no clue how to now I don't have it :\

Jadax

It's worse for people who owe multiple big AAA games to people via giveaways in the last few months.

Both loling and /crying

Chariot

Poor Vita.
Vita-chan ( -̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥᷄◞ω◟-̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥᷅ )

JaseC

It's worse for people who owe multiple big AAA games to people via giveaways in the last few months.

Both loling and /crying

Yeah, today is exactly why you shouldn't do IOU giveaways -- something unexpected may come up. Assuming the for the moment that Arkham Knight will be priced identically to Mordor, the gifts Shadownet promised some time ago are now going to set him back ~$33 each (further assuming he buys keys from Nuuvem) as opposed to ~$13 + a profit margin. A difference of ~$20 adds up quite quickly when there are multiple units.

(I don't mean to suggest he won't honour his giveaway; rather, I'm making the point that he's now set to pay much more than he would have been expecting at the time.)

Top Bottom