• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Kiru

If you've been keeping up with the show Person of Interest, you have an idea as to who's really responsible for this.

13092058124.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
so can i buy old stuff from dispenser or those games got blocked too??

Pre-existing gifts were not affected, but the change did have the unintended effect of removing the warning from those with regional restrictions (e.g. here's what my copy of Valiant Hearts RU now looks like).

Nzyme32

For those interested, there are more comparisons of PC and PS4 versions of MGSV:GZ on Konami's site rather than the twitter vines - although still small size pics. Also a bit more detailed info on how some things like audio switching work

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/gz/en/products/steam.php5

There is also an explanation to the features shown in each picture, which is stuff we already know.

Lighting Quality
PC version features more lights, more active light sources, and increased shadow resolution.

Screen Space Local Reflections
Technology that allows accurate representation of reflections in the environment.

Camera Bokeh (Depth of Field)
Photorealistic "bokeh" simulation mimics the bahavior of a camera lens to allow greater forms of cinematic expression.

Model Detail
Models are visible from greater distances and maintain a higher level of detail at various ranges.

Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
Ambient occlusion on the PC benefits from more sophisticated algorithms that were too heavy for use on PS4™.

There's also info on Data Carryover and Switching between English / Japanese Voice

When you play the PC version of METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES (MGSV:GZ), a variety of benefits will carry over to the PC version of METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHAMTOM PAIN (MGSV:TPP).

Mother Base Staff
Prisoners or unique characters recovered from the field in MGSV:GZ will be available as Mother Base staff in MGSV:TPP.

Costumes
Snake's MGSV:GZ costume will be available in MGSV:TPP.

* MGSV:GZ game and save data are required to import data to MGSV:TPP.

Purchasing the PC version of MGSV:GZ enables you to play with either English voice over or Japanese voice over.
Switching Method

Use the following steps to switch between English or Japanese voices.
1. Open your "Library" in the Steam menu without activating "MGSV:GZ"
2. Choose "METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES" in the Library, then right click to open "Properties" from the option menu.
3. Choose "Language" from the "Properties" menu, then select Japanese or English.
* Switching voices is possible at anytime after purchase.

PLEASE NOTE
- Game data
Only one language version is allowed per PC. Game will be re-downloaded whenever the language is switched, and the previous version will be erased.
- Save Data
Save data used in the Japanese version of the game differs from the international (English) version. Save data can be retained when you switch versions, but it can only be used with the version of the game that created the save data.
- Available Subtitles
Japanese Version (Japanese audio): Japanese / English
International Version (English audio): Japanese / English / French / Italian / German / Spanish / Portuguese / Russian

Vuze

People sure didn't lie about the length of GZ. Took me 90min to beat the story mission and this was my first time with MGS after all. Was fun though and I really enjoyed the cutscenes, pretty tense stuff. Now to catch up story wise so I actually get what's going on lol
The port is pretty excellent btw.

Jawmuncher

People sure didn't lie about the length of GZ. Took me 90min beating the story mission and this was my first time with MGS after all.

It better be 9.99 for the holiday sale.
Only way i will cave for it.

People sure didn't lie about the length of GZ. Took me 90min to beat the story mission and this was my first time with MGS after all. Was fun though and I really enjoyed the cutscenes, pretty tense stuff. Now to catch up story wise so I actually get what's going on lol

When/where did this come out already?

Yeah, I won something in the auction! I got an $8 game for about 80 cents worth of gems. Not bad. Glad I got that out of my system, but now what do I do with my leftover 419 gems?

People sure didn't lie about the length of GZ. Took me 90min beating the story mission and this was my first time with MGS after all.

It'll take most people more time to listen to the tapes in the main menu than to play through the main mission.

I'll probably get GZ on PC just to do all of the unlock stuff for TPP, but i'm not gonna put more than $10 towards it. Eff that, it should've been priced similar to DR2 Case Zero at launch, $5-$10.

Ground Zeroes has dual audio? GOTY.

never understood why one would want to see western looking characters all speaking perfect japanese but, hey, glad people have the option.

Jawmuncher

It'll take most people more time to listen to the tapes in the main menu than to play through the main mission.

I'll probably get GZ on PC just to do all of the unlock stuff for TPP, but i'm not gonna put more than $10 towards it. Eff that, it should've been priced similar to DR2 Case Zero at launch, $5-$10.

Case Zero was 5 bucks and was worth every penny.
Such a fun little teaser.

Nzyme32

If:

-20$ are not 20€
-the game comes with a DEEP discount (around 33%?)

I will buy it. I have trust in Konami, since their pricing policy until now is very good for their Steam titles.

Well if I recall correctly MGR did a good job of being differently priced in the UK rather than that direct conversion. Didn't follow the EU version though

Yeah, I won something in the auction! I got an $8 game for about 80 cents worth of gems. Not bad. Glad I got that out of my system, but now what do I do with my leftover 419 gems?

There are some boosters you can make with 400 gems. For example, 400 gems could make a booster pack for 99 Spirits, Brutal Legend, Battlepillars, Quest Run or Power-Up. I'm sure there's a lot more, but I don't have a huge library to check from.

Jawmuncher

I don't understand why I have literally no excitement for MGSV at this point.
Honestly feels like GZ did more harm than good for me.

lost interest in it with "Gone Home meets Walking dead" at once, looks not bad, though.

I really did not like Gone Home but none of that was bothering me in the trailer.
The ideas Gone Home tried to attempt I liked just felt they didn't do as good a job as people said they did.
So all for another game to perhaps fix what my gripes were there.

Nzyme32

I hope the PC version comes with custom soundtrack, so I can put Sins of Father and vocal version of Heavens Divide instead of the instrumental one present on GZ.

Someone said that this can be done with the old gen versions. Seeing how KJP have been quite involved with the PC version, it would be nice if they put it in. Worse case scenario, you could do it via the Steam Overlay Music Player thing

Copons

Life is Strange - Episode 1 is coming out January 30th. All 5 episodes are going to cost 20$.

Trailer here.

Looks fucking great. <3 Dontnod.

Compared to Remember Me, the looks are exactly what doesn't seem to be on par. Something like they had to substantially scale down their size and they cut the art (well, not art, but) tech people first?

But, except for this rant about which I actually don't care that much, everything else seems great and I'm thrilled and eager to play it.
Just, I hope the reviewer who compared it to (Twin Peaks and) Heavy Rain is wrong, because I fucking hate David Cage games.

Jawmuncher

Compared to Remember Me, the looks are exactly what doesn't seem to be on par. Something like they had to substantially scale down their size and they cut the art (well, not art, but) tech people first?

But, except for this rant about which I actually don't care that much, everything else seems great and I'm thrilled and eager to play it.
Just, I hope the reviewer who compared it to (Twin Peaks and) Heavy Rain is wrong, because I fucking hate David Cage games.

You and the rest of GAF it seems.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ugh. 30% to the last tier of DOA5:LR. Jase, rev up your credit card and buy a ton of copies. ;_;

It should hopefully hit it by February but it's been 30 for the past few days. :(

Jawmuncher

Ugh. 30% to the last tier of DOA5:LR. Jase, rev up your credit card and buy a ton of copies. ;_;

It should hopefully hit it by February but it's been 30 for the past few days. :(

Games seem to sell more during the sale even with no discounts or small so we should see a bump of some kind.

Copons

You and the rest of GAF it seems.

Ah, I don't really know about it, and I wouldn't want to come out as a drooling fanboy of some kind.
It's just that the disappointment for Heavy Rain
's plot twist
was so huge I wrote a 3 parts in depth article back then and I fought with plenty of people about that and I never really recovered and Cage should have stopped developing games after putting David Bowie inside one.

The ultimatum tantrums in the rus bear thread are kinda hilarious

"I guess this means that I will buy less new games* if you don't fix this shit Valve"

* at -85% off from russia

Ah, I don't really know about it, and I wouldn't want to come out as a drooling fanboy of some kind.
It's just that the disappointment for Heavy Rain
's plot twist
was so huge I wrote a 3 parts in depth article back then and I fought with plenty of people about that and I never really recovered and Cage should have stopped developing games after putting David Bowie inside one.

The twist in Heavy Rain was so unearned and kinda insulting to its audience. I haven't played Ellen Page's Heavy Rain, so i dunno if that is any better, but i sure don't care to play it any time soon because of Heavy Rain.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'll be shocked if the game doesn't move up 70% over the course of the next two months. For what it's worth I'll be doing my part after the Winter Sale. ;)

Yeah, they simply don't care at all. They threw in GOG some of their older titles just to milk some money, and if you consider those game are VERY expensive even today (they cost more then games like Walking Dead, Wolf etc), the fact they didn't release a bugfix is simply a shame. Also I think they don't put Walking Dead etc on GOG because those require an online activation, and they won't bother to patch it out just to make some money.

ff6js.jpg

Alavard

The twist in Heavy Rain was so unearned and kinda insulting to its audience. I haven't played Ellen Page's Heavy Rain, so i dunno if that is any better, but i sure don't care to play it any time soon because of Heavy Rain.

The twist in Heavy Rain doesn't make sense because there was supposed to be a supernatural thing going on to explain a couple of the plot wholes. The director was forced to remove any of the overtly supernatural stuff, and thus the twist leaves large gaps.

I've played about 1/3 of Beyond: Two Souls and I really dislike it (and I loved Heavy Rain, in general). Any sense of a story is ruined by the fact that all the chapters of the game are played entirely out of order chronologically, so there's no proper buildup.

Heavy Rain ticked me off. The story sucked and don't get me started on the controls. I broke a thumbstick playing that game on the ps3.

Top Bottom