• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Alavard

I ended up winning an auction of Hatoful Boyfriend, and delightfully played through the Dating Sim portion yesterday on my day off. I was... not prepared for the sudden change to the game in the BBL route. I'm not finished yet, but damn...

Fuz

Banned
Yeah I agree, it would nice to see what Valve could do with a more traditional business structure. The whole "no boss" thing is great in all for the employees but it seems like a little bit of a mess from the outside looking in, can't say for sure though, maybe it's for the best this way.

WHY?
They're absolutely great right nowm it's working for them and it's a better work style.
Why should they ruin something good?

Knurek

I ended up winning an auction of Hatoful Boyfriend, and delightfully played through the Dating Sim portion yesterday on my day off. I was... not prepared for the sudden change to the game in the BBL route. I'm not finished yet, but damn...

BBL is so, so, so good.

Copons

The twist in Heavy Rain doesn't make sense because there was supposed to be a supernatural thing going on to explain a couple of the plot wholes. The director was forced to remove any of the overtly supernatural stuff, and thus the twist leaves large gaps.

Well, but they could have chosen WHATEVER way of developing that twist, and instead they chose to
ram in a murder behind the back of a character who was actually being controlled by the player exactly in that period of time AND, even worse, the fact that you control and read the mind of the killer for the entire fucking game, but, what a coincidence, he doesn't think about it, ever.
They could have removed the mind reading feature, which is actually underused and mostly "cosmetic", and basically everything would have had some sense again.
But nope, they chose the wrongest path possible, and - at least back then - everybody was like "uuuh look at this, finally videogames are mature like artsy movies with deep and complicated plots yay".

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Well, but they could have chosen WHATEVER way of developing that twist, and instead they chose to
ram in a murder behind the back of a character who was actually being controlled by the player exactly in that period of time AND, even worse, the fact that you control and read the mind of the killer for the entire fucking game, but, what a coincidence, he doesn't think about it, ever.
They could have removed the mind reading feature, which is actually underused and mostly "cosmetic", and basically everything would have had some sense again.
But nope, they chose the wrongest path possible, and - at least back then - everybody was like "uuuh look at this, finally videogames are mature like artsy movies with deep and complicated plots yay".
David Cage just needs a writing partner/editor

Plus he shoots like 20 bullets from a six shot revolver but that's just being nit-picky, I suppose.

Vuze

New Nvidia Game Ready Beta drivers for Elite: Dangerous and MGS: Ground Zeroes are up btw
7146c095f6.png

Asgaro

I don't have the time at the moment to read the whole thread and have been off GAF for over a week (damn master's thesis) so I'm just gonna ask:

I calculated I can get around 5500 gems from my stash of backgrounds and emoticons.
In hindsight, I'm glad I kept that pile instead of selling it each for a few cents.

I don't want to use the gems to win games. The games that have low enough bids so I can actually win something, are games I can probably get in the coming years via a pay-what-you-want bundle or similar. No point in betting on that when you aren't gonna play it right away.

So my question is:
Will the upcoming Winter sale use the gems in another metagame? Has there been any evidence about this?
If yes, I will keep them.
If no, I might as well sell them when the prices are high. That would result in around € 5.

(I did use 1 gem to bet on GTA San Andreas lol. So I could get the badge to level 2.)

So my question is:
Will the upcoming Winter sale use the gems in another metagame? Has there been any evidence about this?
If yes, I will keep them.
If no, I might as well sell them when the prices are high. That would result in around € 5.

We don't know sadly, so all you can do is speculate. Prices have fallen by about 0,10€/sack today already though.

Asgaro

We don't know sadly, so all you can do is speculate. Prices have fallen by about 0,10€/sack today already though.

Alright thanks!
Yeah, I noticed the trend on the Steam market. :-/
Hmm hard decision.
In a few hours the gems can be either totally worthless since they aren't used in a metagame, or perhaps go up in price again when there is...

MUnited83

For you.
I just had this shocking revelation that my gifting plans are ruined by this! like majorly
what am I going to do?!

key market is pretty much dead know, what is actual value of keys if we disregard all being steam currency thingie?

They still have value as a currency between US/EU/AU,etc traders, and also still have their use to open crates. I think prices will bomb on the winter sale but after that I think they will return to their normal price.

Articalys

So what's the projected trend with holiday card prices? Will they remain stable roughly where they are for the next 24 hours until the sale starts? Once they're available from voting, will they drop then hold there until the end of the sale, then either spike or crash in the last hours of the sale, or what?

So what's the projected trend with holiday card prices? Will they remain stable roughly where they are for the next 24 hours until the sale starts? Once they're available from voting, will they drop then hold there until the end of the sale, then either spike or crash in the last hours of the sale, or what?

Spike for a few hours at the start of the sale, then a decline over a few days until we reach the lowest point. A spike may or may not happen at the end of the sale, but I doubt it.
Valve would be smart to give people more incentives to craft more holiday badges during the sale (gems?) and they seem in an adventurous mood right now, so it might end up being completely different this time..

Dr Dogg

Ugh. 30% to the last tier of DOA5:LR. Jase, rev up your credit card and buy a ton of copies. ;_;

It should hopefully hit it by February but it's been 30 for the past few days. :(

I wouldn't worry about it. Every Time there have been preorder tiered incentives never has a title failed to hit all 3 tiers. Even Defiance which was barely at 20% by the last couple of hours before release 'magically' had everything unlocked. I'll be surprised if that doesn't happen again if it doesn't unlock naturally.

Spike for a few hours at the start of the sale, then a decline over a few days until we reach the lowest point. A spike may or may not happen at the end of the sale, but I doubt it.
Valve would be smart to give people more incentives to craft more holiday badges during the sale (gems?) and they seem in an adventurous mood right now, so it might end up being completely different this time..

Didn't they spike near the end of the winter sale last year when people were trying to max out the unmaxable badge?

Didn't they spike near the end of the winter sale last year when people were trying to max out the unmaxable badge?

I don't remember honestly. I remember a spike at the end of a summer sale, where cards didn't disappear afterwards (those foils were a great investment right?), but since they made cards disappear at the end of a sale the dumping cancels out the crafting at the end I think. Maybe someone has a better memory of it though.

Welp, I won an auction for Pivot! That's good enough for me, time to get the last of my gems and craft a booster.

Let's hope that the gems are not used on the actual sale :p

I'm using my 19 remaining gems to place a bid on something. No hope of winning, i'm just interested in seeing what happens to gems on bids when all auctions are over.

Top Bottom