• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

cicero

Really disappointing bundle. Remind me not to BTA on the first week.

This is why you only BTA on the first week if you are certain that you want the full bundle or you are buying it as a gift. Otherwise, just spend $1, it locks the BTA price in at the price it is currently at when you purchase it for $1. The second week you can determine if it is worth it and then ADD enough money to the bundle so it hits that old BTA bundle price that you are locked into.

Tellaerin

You decide. The first time a friend asks to watch your game you'll be presented with the broadcast privacy settings...
If you select "Anyone can watch my games" then your broadcast will be visible on that game hub.

I see no option for "No one can watch my games." How do I opt out?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I see no option for "No one can watch my games." How do I opt out?

It looks that isn't possible right now. You can set it to "only friends I invite" then not invite anyone. Or, opt out of the Beta.

AsylumX

This is why you only BTA on the first week if you are certain that you want the full bundle or you are buying it as a gift. Otherwise, just spend $1, it locks the BTA price in at the price it is currently at when you purchase it for $1. The second week you can determine if it is worth it and then ADD enough money to the bundle so it hits that old BTA bundle price that you are locked into.

Wow, I didn't know that... Thanks!

cicero

Seemed creepy to me until I saw the privacy settings. I'd actually prefer it if we could set it on a game-by-game basis as well, but I like the options that are there.

- Only friends that I invite
- Friends can request to watch my games
- Friends can watch my games
- Anyone can watch my games

The part I'm curious about is the bandwidth usage, actually, for both sides.

I would prefer that we could specifically regulate all privacy settings by individual friends, group of friends that are tagged, or individual games. In this day and age, one size fits all is just annoyingly obtuse.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Phawx

It's been awhile since I've done this, please excuse the mega impressions block:

header.jpg

Saviors - My Let's Play - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVzNeVK_JRU

Quick Impressions: I really enjoyed this game. It's just plain fun. If you like bullet-hell shmups at all, give this one a go. I played on the hard difficulty setting and that seemed to be appropriate for me. Bosses were challenging (and at least the second boss, vexxing-in-a-good-way), varied/interesting power-ups that you can switch before levels. Level design and enemy placement forces you to use the simple inputs. There is that point in bullet-hell games where I can feel my brain creaking under the pressure and even when I died, I just wanted to have one more go.

Recommended.

header.jpg

Distance - My Let's Play - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUKOjyZNUZk

Quick Impressions: Initially the game feels kind of slow even when you have that blur-thing happening. But the first few stages are tutorials getting you accustomed to the game. Even though the game never actually gets any faster, the obstacles thrown in front of you creates a very real feeling of speed. Looking back at my LP, it does seem slow, but when I was playing, it was hectic.

There is a nice magnetic grip to the car. It's not way overpowered, it's tuned very nicely and helps with all of the crazy go-nuts car flipping to perpendicular roadways. I've already seen some speed runs and I'm excited to see what comes of it.

Lastly, there are already UGC for the levels: http://steamcommunity.com/app/233610/workshop/

I toyed around with the level editor at the end of my LP and I have no idea what I'm doing, but it seems fairly simple after you get the hotkeys situated in your head.

Recommended.

header.jpg

Joe Dever's Lone Wolf HD - My Let's Play - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4dLAmGuAdA

Quick Impressions: I was indifferent to this game from the outset. I had first seen this game as an iOS/mobile game, so I was more (morbidly?) curious with how they would handle the port than the game itself.

Spoiler: While the port itself is excellent in presentation, there are still lots of gesture-commands to handle input. This isn't a terrible thing as all of the combat scenes are nothing more than a series of QTE++ sequences, but still. I wish there were additional input methods available.

That small complaint aside, I can start to see the attraction to VNs. Lone Wolf started as a series of Gamebooks (choose your own adventure) and as far as I can see it's literally the interactive version of that. Complete with battle sequences, lock-picking and attempting different situations via one of four special powers that you picked when you created your character. An example would be the animal kinship trait that helps you past a situation by communing with wildlife for secret intel.

It's not fast paced but I found myself interested in the story and my part in it. Mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned.

Recommended.

header.jpg

Foresight - My Let's Play - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0LXg9ApWw0

Quick Impressions: Feels like a bad RTS game from 2002. Voice acting is atrocious and is punctuated by Elevator Music all-the-while taking 120 seconds to pan across a single image "cutscene"

Not Recommended.

header.jpg

Fat Chicken - My Let's Play - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACJS3X7_JWA

Quick Impressions: It's a Tower Offense game? Tower Buff Game? I'm not sure how you'd want to label it. Regardless, if you are familiar with Tower Defense games, normally your objective is to stop a wave of baddies from reaching the endzone. In Fat Chicken, the objective is to "shoot" the farm's livestock with food / growth hormone / water to prevent them from dying as well as fatten them up before reaching the slaughtering yard.

Your objective is to achieve varying levels of net-weight sellable butchered meat on a three-star scale. Earned stars can be used to enhance your Food-and-Hormone-shooters to tackle more difficult levels.

It's an interesting take on the tower defense genre that still has all of the vestiges that it's (started?) a mobile game. It's certainly not bad. It just didn't grasp my funtention. If you are a fan of Tower Defense, you might want to give it a try.

Recommended

blackguards-2-pc-00a.jpg

Blackguards 2 - My Let's Play - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szC29woS_yo

Quick Impressions: The first thing that stood out immediately was the exceptional voice acting. Truly top notch. The only weird bit is the amount of aliasing that was present on the models. Not sure what that was about. But I have an early access version so perhaps things will get sorted out.

Gameplay wise, It's a pretty standard tactical turn-based strategy with hex-based grid. As you level while advancing through the game, you'll dictate the class of your character. I initially spent all of my points on bow proficiency, which turned out to be a mistake very quickly when I ran out of arrows XD, but it's pretty simple to see what choices are available to you when looking at the tech tree.

I'm only allowed to share so much, but what I did play was strongly encouraging. Including the beginning, story-wise.

Recommended

Interesting, and long overdue. I wonder if the booster will be random, or based on the game that the item you liquified is from. Either way, hopefully it'll bring up the value of some of those $0.03 items without crashing the price of cards completely.

yup. I'll finally have something to do with those .03 backgrounds and icons that have been sitting around forever.

I wish it would let me get rid of those unmarketable TF2 items, too

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
New humble SEGA bundle games
  • Sonic Generations
  • Viking

Not bad. I was thinking about buying Generations, glad I held off.

Interesting thought, I wonder what happens when Steam thinks you're in-game using IdleMaster and someone requests to watch?

I assume it would just give you an error code or a black screen.

That makes Steam levels seem a little less useful now. I also wonder how it'll affect the market overall.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Sonic Generations -- MB-5FD5F0ACBE8E7B89 - Taken by Mr. Doop. 26 entrants total.
Nights into dreams -- MB-4C0F50168651BCA8 - Taken by Catshade. 3 entrants total.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-679FD21FC2F64375 - Taken by Purkake4. 4 entrants total.

t1417558687z1.png

I always forget to write a message for these things. The low average for this bundle hooked me.

Varg

Banned
Castlevania Lords of shadow, fucking amazing, played 10 hours already, its hard to let the hands of the controller. Great combat system, amazing pacing, great graphics, more than decent story. Easily one of my best purchases and one of the best (if not the best) game si played this year. And i am not even through the first half of the game, awww yeahh!!
I am looking forward to play batman arhkam origins and dark souls that i also bought in this sale.

Be warned the game is long as fuck. Lords of shadow 1 and 2 are two of the best games I've played in awhile. The story, music, and combat had me hooked. Been awhile since I felt emotionally attached to videogame characters like I did here.

Dr Dogg

Here's betting that broadcasting for me will kneecap my internet connection.

Also I don't know if it's just being in the right place at the right time but a fair bit of my junk on the market like emotes and backgrounds have slowly been seeling the past couple of weeks.

Endless Legend is great, definitely pick it up in the winter sale. And I almost bought South Park and Transistor, but I've waited this long so I may as well hold out. Plus a purchase over $10 in the winter sale usually has some sort of additional benefit.

Yeah I plonked it right up on my wishlist so will have my eyes on it like a hawk!

South Park is up there with my fav games of the year. Really nailed the atmosphere, and aesthetic of the show and the combat, while heavily rifting off Paper Mario, was quite enjoyable. Though bleed damage is over powered and playing as the Jew class can easily break the game. Tranistor is another great game this year which is really pleasing on the eyes and ears. The comabt system when it opens up really does encourage and reward experimentation.

Tecl0n

this system is so weird

like why do you have to invite people individually instead of just sending them a link or something

(if anyone wants to watch me play shadow warrior and help me test ping i'd appreciate)

i've tried to watch, but it says it's not supported on your system?

Arthea

It would be interesting if the recycled item's value was directly proportional to the steam market value.

IDK, wouldn't it end cheap cards? It would be more beneficial to make a booster and hope for a high value one, instead of selling cheap cards.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
WAIT when did Red Faction Guerrilla get a Steam Edition? I'm assuming it's GFWL-free, right?

Edit: Oh like, today. Awesome. I just had 1.50€ on a CC that's about to expire.

Dr Dogg

So when are The Keighley's on? This Friday?

Steam Broadcast chat delay is ~10 seconds.

I think that's about the delay I was getting through regular Steam chat when Rhaknar was sorting out his SLI setup through Twitch. Then again I have a pitful internet connection :(

Nzyme32

Just wait for SteamTV chat, to be even more infamous and notorious compared to Twitch chat. I dread to think of the weird culture that might occur in there :p

this system is so weird

like why do you have to invite people individually instead of just sending them a link or something

(if anyone wants to watch me play shadow warrior and help me test ping i'd appreciate)

"Steam Broadcasting is not currently supported on zkylon's system"

That's what I got when I tried.

jshackles

I hope it's true, I really want it to be true, and not taking thousands of objects to make one booster.

From a purely economical standpoint:

The average selling price of booster packs on Steam right now is $0.9924936823314644. Let's call it $1 for simplicity sake. Currently the lowest selling items on the store are $0.03 (due to Valve's fee) but in reality your cut is $0.01. So theoretically, 1 booster pack from a random game is worth approximately the same as 100 worthless profile backgrounds/emoticons/whatever.

If Valve's goal is to just allow people to "delete" these items, I expect there will be a 100/1 ratio. This makes the most sense, because $1 is merely the average: some are worth more, and some are worth less. So like a lot of Valve-things, it'll be gambling.

If Valve's goal is to increase the value of said worthless items, there will be a less than 100/1 ratio. Maybe even 50/1.

Whatever the outcome, there will still be a direct relation between items and booster packs. Therefore we can reasonably expect the price of one or the other to fluctuate based on ratio of items required to make a new booster pack.

Top Bottom