• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to wonder what prompts someone to make the effort to block 700 people from a giveaway. I mean it's one thing to have the idea but to actually go through with it feels so vindictive that I have to think there was something that triggered it. And of course now there's a convenient text dump of the list so imagine if a few more folks copy paste that into their giveaways and then all of SteamGAF can enter the modbot global blacklist.

Anyway I was looking back at the the games I played this year and one recurring theme kind of stuck out to me was that a lot of games this year made a comeback.

What do I mean by this?

I guess it starts with the release of Reaper of Souls early in the year. Everyone knows that Diablo 3 got a ton of criticism over the last couple of years. Some of it was deserved, some was not. Blizzard took all the flak with humility and grace and got to work on fixing the game. They actually did fix a lot of things in the months after release and it all culminated in the release of the expansion. It still obviously hasn't made everyone happy but I'd imagine most D3 players are very pleased with the direction the game has taken.

Then I look to Counter Strike Global Offensive which has made what is quite possibly the greatest comeback of any game ever. In general, CS was on a decline in the last few years as fewer people played it and esports tournaments started to drop the game in favor of more popular MOBAs and such. In case people are not aware of this, Valve actually outsourced the original development of CSGO to another studio. Unfortunately the result was that it was a pretty terrible game when it released in 2012. Many considered it the final nail in the coffin of the series. But then Valve took over development of the game, they listened to the community and made many, many changes to it. This and their continued community support and push for esports put CSGO back on the map for competitive play. I'd venture that it is the fastest growing game community on Steam right now.

There are a few other smaller examples I can think of from my personal experience. Risen 3 released this year after the previous game was not received well. The developers made it a point to make the game closer to Risen 1 than Risen 2 and I'd say it was a fairly successful effort. Dark Souls 2 came in for some criticism for it's level design not matching up to the first game but I believe they did a lot to fix that in the DLC. Bioshock Infinite is a regular punching bag for bland gameplay but they tried to mix it up with the second DLC release (which I think was this year).

Maybe I'm just reaching with this idea but it does seem like some developers tried to do better by their communities.

And of course, the biggest comeback of the year... an entire genre pulled back to life from beyond the grave. We finally started to see the fruits of the Kickstarter craze from 2012 in all these amazing crowdfunded RPGs that released this year. No one could have predicted a couple of years ago that 2014 would bring games Shadowrun, Divinity, Wasteland etc. back to us.

This has been a pretty great year to be a PC gamer. Here's hoping 2015 is just as good if not better.

Last one for the night - Merry Christmas to all!

I look forward to many more fruitful conversations in the days and weeks to come.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 22 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (crazyrabbits, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Ilamentia #3 -- MB-A881C312643DE9EF - Taken by Popstar
Ilamentia #2 -- MB-4D1D521F3F7B46AF - Taken by nja
ulgzbKC.png
Blue Rose (Desura) -- MB-D6C65D3D546A60B3
Kingdom Rush -- MB-F5F91D36D969A166 - Taken by orthodoxy1095
The Dream Machine Chapters 1-3 -- MB-746220EF96E97DB3 - Taken by rrvv
Wickland -- MB-1A6E928F118ACCB9 - Taken by Haunted
Realms of the Haunting -- MB-F192FEED5B71806E - Taken by autoduelist
Hamlet or the Last MMORPG -- MB-4621A825931C785C - Taken by Dambrosi
Yury -- MB-32B73E835A0F7089 - Taken by Purkake4
Betrayer -- MB-817B37FCCF5A5F08 - Taken by Bayonetta
Dreamcast Collection -- MB-5D5D248B38747D00 - Taken by HalfwayOrb
Potatoman Seeks The Troof -- MB-C3C58B259EDF6F4B - Taken by Casimir
Ilamentia -- MB-4D6271991B6A7AC6 - Taken by Kuroyume
Nights Into Dreams -- MB-325A9AF1D0FE2F00 - Taken by almostheathen
PGP3OVL.png
The Witcher 2 (GOG) -- MB-29749A405CA0D64E - Taken by Uiki
War of the Roses Kingmaker -- MB-6B5088392CE2F5E5 - Taken by celsowmbr
Puzzle Kingdoms -- MB-A05E9C2D9A2DF320 - Taken by lindarasta
FootLOL: Epic Fail League -- MB-B03DB596DDF84937 - Taken by roadrunn3r
Fireburst -- MB-6797E5B03346B243 - Taken by Chreznor
Soulbringer -- MB-94D86767AE944F5B - Taken by drizzle
Dead Hungry Diner -- MB-86070E84DA1EA8EA
Depth Hunter 2 -- MB-B18A2743AA024E67 - Taken by Ventara

I'll also repost this for the new page.

Eternia

Kinda reminds me of Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae then. It's relatively cheap right now so it wouldnt bother me much if I don't like it.

Any impressions on Fairy Bloom Freesia?
Like Croixleur in that it's just small arena battles but in a 2D environment. It has a more deeper progression system where you have a sizable list of skills and attributes to pick from. The mission structure is slightly more varied but still bland. Enemy design is quite boring as well outside of the few boss battles.

The combat is probably its bright spot and may be enough to carry you through the ~3 hours to finish.

dani_dc

Reposting from Sales thread:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dani_dc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

NiGHTS Into Dreams -- MB-0990E3F810583FE4 - Taken by VaeVictis. 12 entrants total.

t1419483427z1.png

The ultimate Christmas game!
Enjoy!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Like Croixleur in that it's just small arena battles but in a 2D environment. It has a more deeper progression system where you have a sizable list of skills and attributes to pick from. The mission structure is slightly more varied but still bland. Enemy design is quite boring as well outside of the few boss battles.

The combat is probably its bright spot and may be enough to carry you through the ~3 hours to finish.

The demo seemed fun but it seems I might need to grind a bit to get the cool moves. I'll keep an eye on it cause it could be cheaper.

Horry shit.

I'm only 9th on that list! NINETH I'm famous!

Kd5hoKT.jpg

Yeah im drunk. xmas comes late in 'Urope sometimes.

I feel special, I made the list twice. Merry Christmas guys, it's my 1 year old daughter's first Christmas and she's passed out from all the excitement of ripping up wrapping paper ( and has not shown any interest in any of her gifts).

so I'm enjoying Valkyria Chronicles so far, but I think I'm pretty terrible at it.

That, and my damn tank keeps getting stuck on nothing spinning endlessly and wasting an entire turn.

Anustart

Got my first game of the sale thanks to a generous gaffer's giveaway. Sonic Racing Transformed. Been wanting this one because a lot of you guys play it and wouldn't mind racing you fools.

I feel special, I made the list twice. Merry Christmas guys, it's my 1 year old daughter's first Christmas and she's passed out from all the excitement of ripping up wrapping paper ( and has not shown any interest in any of her gifts).
How adorable!

On the bright side, at least now you know what to get her next year.
so I'm enjoying Valkyria Chronicles so far, but I think I'm pretty terrible at it.

That, and my damn tank keeps getting stuck on nothing spinning endlessly and wasting an entire turn.

IIRC they fixed the framerate bug that caused such a thing to happen, so maybe you're clipping walls or rocks or something? Keep in mind the tank needs to move to turn, so you'll have to back up once you get stuck; both of these take movement points so try to plan ahead.

Kanokare

Oh, im on chariot block list :(
Well on a 5 day travel with the family, so I couldn't really read the thread. Hope all of you are having a nice Christmas :)
Edit: oh, so its a giveaway list? Thought it was a forum ignore list.

Apparently me too o_O Which is ironic cause I gifted Chariot a copy of Astebreed during the auction. It's his list though so he do whatever he wants but posting the list was a bad move since that might cause people to put him on their list in the future.

Xanathus

Apparently me too o_O Which is ironic cause I gifted Chariot a copy of Astebreed during the auction. It's his list though so he do whatever he wants but posting the list was a bad move since that might cause people to put him on their list in the future.

It was also ridiculous of him to do that when he's only giving away relatively low cost games, it's not like he was giving away MGS 5 or something. A lot of people wouldn't have noticed it if he didn't mention it because I doubt many people would have entered for the giveaway.

wish you all great holidays and a great new year!

take care and please don't drink too much or drive!

huge thanks to milena and spin for just being too nice <3

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Apparently TheSecks is such a piece of shit Chariot blocked him twice

Should have blocked him a third time, just to be safe

How adorable!

On the bright side, at least now you know what to get her next year.

IIRC they fixed the framerate bug that caused such a thing to happen, so maybe you're clipping walls or rocks or something? Keep in mind the tank needs to move to turn, so you'll have to back up once you get stuck; both of these take movement points so try to plan ahead.

Ripping Up Wrapping Paper Simulator?

I would definitely get that, especially if the little inferno devs made it.

ExoSoul

Banned
Aww, I blocked so many good people. Ok, but this can be a good thing. Here's the list. I already sorted some out. Help me to clean the list of everyone cool. Then we can get a list out of it that can help to reject people who are not part of the community if anyone has the need for it for whatever reason.

--I actually do this sometimes. But sometimes I just feel like using different methods.Very nice given that there is no deal for the game this sale.

I went to my gf's place when this was posted and only returned now. I think I get what this list is for though I gotta say I'm still a bit confused.

I don't know what landed me on the block list, I must say I'm a bit saddened by it. I've become a member recently and even though I sometimes mess with you a bit I didn't think it was anything serious, even if I haven't left a impression on you (good or bad) I thought that on our few interactions we got along fine. But this isn't about me.

I don't know if you've revised the list meanwhile but WinterDemon really shouldn't be there. He regularly makes good giveaways and is an active friendly member of the community and more than once I've seen him gift games to people who didn't win a game in the raffle or missed a game or just because.

If the list is supposed to be for the uncool guys please remove him because he's a really cool guy!

Edit: shit hadn't realised the thread had moved on. I'm sorry and please disregard my post. (I won't delete it though cause I don't think that's a right thing to do)

people still getting sad and angry for being on the list?

that list was not manually made. it was copied by looking up the list of all users that posted in this and the last steam thread. copy-paste.

then he just deleted folks he knew by name out of it. that was cleared already.
it's not a good method and chariot said that as well.

being on the list sucks but it is not because chariot choose you especially to be on it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

that list was not manually made. it was copied by looking up the list of all users that posted in this and the last steam thread. copy-paste.

being on the list sucks but it is not because chariot choose you especially to be on it.

No, I'm angry that I'm NOT on the list

iosefe

Lets just repeat this.

Mr. Doop

you know what this means? Chariot knows me by name.

ExoSoul

Banned

Sorry I've been away and wasn't properly caught up.
Just a thing though, the post wasn't about me.

someone really loves you from heart it seems <3 XOXOX XD
i don't know any more teen love emotes
Sorry I've been away and wasn't properly caught up.
Just a thing though, the post wasn't about me.
haha. no need to excuse yourself buddy. it's all fine :)
i saw several people taking it personal. we talked a couple pages ago about it. just wanted to stop a storm before it gained wind.

Kanokare

Choosing to post the list was his decision though. I didn't enter the giveaway so I'm not bummed by it. I just don't see the point of posting the list though.

this transistor game, it's not very long huh? But it's pretty damn good. Got 2 doggies coming in and helping me out, pretty much crushing the Process.

Also, I'm not on that list so merry Xmas to me and my loved ones.

Choosing to post the list was his decision though. I didn't enter the giveaway so I'm not bummed by it. I just don't see the point of posting the list though.
no question. bad decision. as proved by the mild shitstorm.
Here is the list of everyone I don't hate:
fun fact.
when you quote rhaknar you will see a huge hidden list of gaffers.
i am glad i am on that list :)

you all should better check it out for yourself.

EDIT: aw, rhaknar. you edited and deleted the list. no need to be embarassed to show your love for us ;)

bigzgod

It's obvious what has happened here. Someone has taken over Chariot's account and done dastardly deeds in his name. However, they were quite silly. They didn't use a waifu avatar when everyone knows Chariot uses a waifu avatar. Don't worry Chariot, we'll save you eventually! :bbtcat:

Mokoi

Banned
It's k bb I made sure to block you. Although knowing you I bet you own it already.
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mokoi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Evil Within -- MB-22E240BE653DE2B8 - Taken by Metalic Sand. 175 entrants total.
t1419566288z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom