• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Have you considered finally changing the names of the threads for ease of use and readability instead of the random "funny" headlines like "Lez talk about keyboards" and situations like this:

Code:
PC Drivers for Xbox One controller
How to use your PS4 controller as a PC controller
Using Sixaxis on your PC

Three threads that cover related subjects yet have wildly different sentence structure. I can't think of any formatting that makes it harder to search and dissuades people from looking down the list.

Don't get me started on the game specific threads.

(I appreciate the effort you put into maintaining the list all this time however).

So Sentinels of the Multiverse looks like it launched Monday (digital adaptation of a dumb but fun card-driven "boardgame"). The Steam app looks basically identical to the iPad app that came out in October (they say the only differences is KB+M support, resolution support, and Steam stuff like cloud saves and trading cards).

iPad version? $9.99. Steam version? $14.99. They are far from the first or last company to do this but BOOOOOOO.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Steam has decided it's not worthwhile to forward gift emails, so have some other Steam keys instead:

ModBot said:
Instructions for everyone:

I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-
KjAOaDf.gif
Happy Holidays to all! Hope you got cool games, and if not, hope you win cool games in a giveaway!
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Casimir, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Towtruck Simulator 2015 -- MB-1B31B973B26CA39F - Taken by drakaenae
Warehouse and Logistics Simulator -- MB-C91567254B3DE13A - Taken by Krakn3Dfx
Skyscraper Simulator -- MB-4DAFAFE42F62E510 - Taken by bobnowhere
Woodcutter Simulator 2013 Gold Edition -- MB-C89A827B4488A24E - Taken by JustLynx
Airport Simulator 2014 -- MB-6A6C39C994643F44 - Taken by MillionStabs
Professional Farmer 2014 -- MB-1020D07D722CAD47 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow

The keys should all be good, but if there are any issues please let me know.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not sure I understand then, because I launched the game from the Steam client and each time it was able to connect : what steps should I do then?

There may have been connectivity issues while you were playing considering we're in the middle of the Winter Sale. Not much you can do about that.

Unicorn

Dragonfall, looking at your games list :)

Backed the KS at 60 or 70, but only put like an hour into the first campaign. I've been wanting to do the first before the second, but I made a melee build and had a not so fun time with that hour.

Should I just start again with a different build, jump into Dragonfall, or champion on with my melee build?

I always feel like a poser with my Shadowrun shirt, especially when I get compliments on it :[ I can't even get a good group going to play the PnP game

The Evil Within is so confusing emotionally. On a certain level I really like it, but it constantly drags itself back down and makes me borderline hate it. I think almost every change it made from the RE4 formula (other than the crossbow) was a bad one to be honest.

I just played the first ten minutes or so of Chapter 11 and I can absolutely see why this part of the game received so much vitriol already.

The only thing really wrong with chapter 11 is the small section with the stupid gates on timers and trying to manage that effectively.

I mean, people whine about Ruvik in chapter 9... people whine about everything these days. RE4 is more survival action, TEW is more survival horror.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The only thing really wrong with chapter 11 is the small section with the stupid gates on timers and trying to manage that effectively.

I mean, people whine about Ruvik in chapter 9... people whine about everything these days. RE4 is more survival action, TEW is more survival horror.
Ruvik in Chapter 9 was terribad.

-MD-

And the cart ride after that part. Enemies with machine guns too.

That said 11 and 12 were the only poor chapters in an otherwise incredible game.

Chapter 9 is one of the best in the game, loved it. Try it on Nightmare :)

Uzzy

Backed the KS at 60 or 70, but only put like an hour into the first campaign. I've been wanting to do the first before the second, but I made a melee build and had a not so fun time with that hour.

Should I just start again with a different build, jump into Dragonfall, or champion on with my melee build?

I always feel like a poser with my Shadowrun shirt, especially when I get compliments on it :[ I can't even get a good group going to play the PnP game

Just go into Dragonfall. Grab the Directors Cut, which should still be free to anyone with the DLC, and enjoy that. It's by far the superior campaign.

How so? It fit in context and it's not like anything you do encourages the wrong behaviour. I really don't understand how anyone can have a problem with it, period.

And the cart ride after that part. Enemies with machine guns too.

That said 11 and 12 were the only poor chapters in an otherwise incredible game.

Chapter 9 is one of the best in the game, loved it. Try it on Nightmare :)

Working on getting there on Akumu... but Chapter 6 is being a fucking headache.

And I can't really fault chapters 11 or 12. Chapter 11 pulled some stuff that made me think
OH! THIS IS WHAT NT WANTED TO DO WITH DmC... WHAT A SHAME.

Sure, there's the swimming/cart/machine guns... but I never felt like RE5 made me feel where the game totally lost it's identity and tried to be something else. They're not the best chapters by any means, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as some people seem to bitch about.

Spyware

Got Miasmata playable, but it's quite annoying with all the odd graphical problems and the sudden jump from clear sunny day to pitch black as soon as the game decides it's evening. Before I at least had some warning by seeing it become a bit darker, nice sunsets and all that nice stuff.

Ohwell, it's still my fav game. Hard to recommend tho when it's this buggy. Had no problems at all with my old graphics card. :/

-MD-

And I can't really fault chapters 11 or 12. Chapter 11 pulled some stuff that made me think
OH! THIS IS WHAT NT WANTED TO DO WITH DmC... WHAT A SHAME.

Sure, there's the swimming/cart/machine guns... but I never felt like RE5 made me feel where the game totally lost it's identity and tried to be something else. They're not the best chapters by any means, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as some people seem to bitch about.

They just should've been different. The whole boss fight on the bus felt like it was way too busy (on top of the boss being so simple to kill), like something you'd expect in a sequel or two when they're really trying to ratchet up the action.

The entirety of chapter 12 came off like it was trying to give people a break from the game being too intense or something. That and pulling things straight out of re4 in chapter 11 were lame to me. I've played both of those sections half a dozen times, I don't groan or anything when they come up but I do wish they had been more contained and in line with the rest of the game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Got Miasmata playable, but it's quite annoying with all the odd graphical problems and the sudden jump from clear sunny day to pitch black as soon as the game decides it's evening. Before I at least had some warning by seeing it become a bit darker, nice sunsets and all that nice stuff.

Ohwell, it's still my fav game. Hard to recommend tho when it's this buggy. Had no problems at all with my old graphics card. :/

I really wish the developers hadn't abandoned it. They seemed very keen on supporting the title around launch, and I really loved the sense of vision the two brothers seemed to have for making such a truly survival-oriented experience. It was ugly, janky and buggy, but boy did it have spirit.

Grief.exe

I really wish the developers hadn't abandoned it. They seemed very keen on supporting the title around launch, and I really loved the sense of vision the two brothers seemed to have for making such a truly survival-oriented experience. It was ugly, janky and buggy, but boy did it have spirit.

What did they end up moving onto?

Miguel81

Has anyone purchased Thief Master Edition from the SE store and can you tell me if it includes the Bank Heist like it is listed on there?

Has anyone purchased Thief Master Edition from the SE store and can you tell me if it includes the Bank Heist like it is listed on there?

I think that was just for pre-orders, I bought the MT Edition from GMG a few months after launch and it didn't include it, it only came with a skill booster of some sort, art book and OST.

JaseC

The Bank Heist mission was a pre-order incentive. It's no longer included, unless you luck out and get a pre-order key (but the game's almost a year old at this point).

Matchew

I got a question. I have the first Mass Effect installed on my steam account and I just bought the trilogy on origin. Is there any reason why I should install the first Mass Effect on origin instead of playing the steam version? I can get my save from the steam version to the 2nd on origin right?

MRORANGE

Have you considered finally changing the names of the threads for ease of use and readability instead of the random "funny" headlines like "Lez talk about keyboards" and situations like this:

Code:
PC Drivers for Xbox One controller
How to use your PS4 controller as a PC controller
Using Sixaxis on your PC

Three threads that cover related subjects yet have wildly different sentence structure. I can't think of any formatting that makes it harder to search and dissuades people from looking down the list.

Don't get me started on the game specific threads.

(I appreciate the effort you put into maintaining the list all this time however).

I usually just copy the title the OP gave for that thread, but I understand why sometimes it's not the best title. I'll look into it.

I got a question. I have the first Mass Effect installed on my steam account and I just bought the trilogy on origin. Is there any reason why I should install the first Mass Effect on origin instead of playing the steam version? I can get my save from the steam version to the 2nd on origin right?
There's no reason to install origin version.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

The only part about Ruvik in chapter 9 that I found frustrating was a section where he spawned behind me in the lower left room, the one connected to the dining room, while I was heading to that room's puzzle. I got trapped and had to redo that segment, but other than that, Ruvik wasn't bad at all.

Speevy

Banned
Last night's deal was successful so let's do it again.

Okay, so I want you to make one guess at a flash deal that will occur at 1 AM EST. Guessing will conclude at about 12:45 AM EST to keep everything fair.

If you edit, you will be disqualified.

If you guess more than one game, you will be disqualified.

If two people get a game right, the person whose post happened first wins.

The winner gets the game they guessed.

Miguel81

Thank you. Also is there controller options for the 1st Mass Effect?

No, the UI was specifically tailored to KB/M for PC and Bioware guys couldn't be arsed to add pad support. Forcing KB/M only made me realize how great it actually works for the game.

Is the Steam website still fucked up for anyone else when it comes to cart actions and the like?

Okay, so I want you to make one guess at a flash deal that will occur at 1 AM EST. Guessing will conclude at about 12:45 AM EST to keep everything fair.

Neat idea... but I own too many games to play. Unless I get a voucher for a game up to the value of the game I guess correctly. :p
Either way, I'm going with Alan Wake.

Yrael

Hmmm...

I'm hemming and hawwing over whether I should get Child of Light on Steam or the Wii U. I know that on Steam you can get the DLC as well...but the DLC might be on consoles too at some point and the sale is currently better on the Wii U (it's $6.49, down from $19.99). I have to admit that I sort of like the idea of it being on the Wii as well...but I don't know.

Has Child of Light been a Daily Deal/Flash Sale yet?

Hmmm...

I'm hemming and hawwing over whether I should get Child of Light on Steam or the Wii U. I know that on Steam you can get the DLC as well...but the DLC might be on consoles too at some point and the sale is currently better on the Wii U (it's $6.49, down from $19.99). I have to admit that I sort of like the idea of it being on the Wii as well...but I don't know.

Oh, Zeilard and Salsa will love you. Why buy a game on Steam when you can buy it for your Wii U?!

Works fine for me.

If I sign out entirely (or let it sign me out like it has been doing on and off all week) it works fine. However, if I'm signed in and try to access my cart, I get this:

Home > Oops
Oops, sorry!
An error was encountered while processing your request:

There was an error trying to load your shopping cart. Please try again later.

inm8num2

Joke guess:

Super Hexagon, 90% off, $0.29

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I'm going to go with Wasteland 2.

JaseC

Hmmm...

The DLC isn't going anywhere else; the game is 8 months old now. That being said, the only content of note is a single additional quest.

Not yet.

Banished.

My guess: FF13

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The only part about Ruvik in chapter 9 that I found frustrating was a section where he spawned behind me in the lower left room, the one connected to the dining room, while I was heading to that room's puzzle. I got trapped and had to redo that segment, but other than that, Ruvik wasn't bad at all.

-His spawning is on a super obvious timer
-His function ruleset is super transparent which makes him look stupid and predictable, two things he shouldn't be
-Screwing up means an instant death, the game already has enough of these (Ch. 10 is packed with them)
-The devs knew their execution was shit so they threw in a mirror room as an apology

It's just uninteresting game design in my opinion and in the context of The Evil Within, another half-baked idea tossed into the mixer. Would the level still have had very strong atmosphere without his presence? I think so. Would it still have been creepy and unnerving? I think so.

Xenonauts

Transistor. Believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom