• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't 50% off for cs go really shitty?

i seem to recall it being a lot more cheaper at some point

It was -75% multiple times (on different sites)

There was a short price mistake of the CS collection being -83% though, making the collection cheaper than standalone GO

autoduelist

I voted for Warlock 2... it's the only game in there I'd actually give a solid try to. I already have Brothers in my backlog, and don't like platformers. I know W2 didn't review well, but it's in a genre I love.

Sorry.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
isn't 50% off for cs go really shitty?

i seem to recall it being a lot more cheaper at some point

Cheaters tend to hoard backup spare. -- CS:GO being Valve's first region-locked game is no coincidence. It'll be a long time before you see the game cheaper, third-party stores aside.

Ventara

oh cool. from the screens i didn't even get that it is an old game.

Yeah, it's a remaster of sorts. Has a few improvements from when it released back in 1997. Looking at it's Wikipedia page, seems it won some award and there might be a film adaptation(?). I was mostly interested in it because I like mystery adventure games, and the setting reminded me of a TV show that used the Orient Express as it's setting for one episode.

Cheaters tend to hoard backup spares. It'll be a long time before you see the game cheaper, third-party stores aside.

Not only cheaters, but also pretty much everyone invested in the game because of

last.png

zkylon

zkylewd
Cheaters tend to hoard backup spare. -- CS:GO being Valve's first region-locked game is no coincidence. It'll be a long time before you see the game cheaper, third-party stores aside.

huh i don't get it

are u saying valve region locked it cos people were buying two copies so they could cheat and still play?

that sounds like an awesome case of punishing everyone else but the offender if true

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I need to win 5 Online matches in Abyss Odyssey to get my final Achievement. Let it win the vote and let me get my achievement. :3

Miguel81

Yeah, it's a remaster of sorts. Has a few improvements from when it released back in 1997. Looking at it's Wikipedia page, seems it won some award and there might be a film adaptation(?). I was mostly interested in it because I like mystery adventure games, and the setting reminded me of a TV show that used the Orient Express as it's setting for one episode.

You should try and watch Murder on the Orient Express(1974) if you like TLE. Sean Connery is in that film.

Edit: Voted for Super Time Force Ultra. Looks pretty snazzy.

Zeeman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cp6mKbRTQY

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zeeman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons -- MB-3D6B042B9C5726F2 - Taken by redlacs. 6 entrants total.

t1419625335z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
huh i don't get it

are u saying valve region locked it cos people were buying two copies so they could cheat and still play?

that sounds like an awesome case of punishing everyone else but the offender if true

The way VAC works is that it bans in waves -- every few months or so, Valve's database of known cheats is swept across the land and those found to have run afoul are shown the metaphorical door. The downside to this is that the day-to-day administration is left to server admins; the upside is that several hacks are banned in one fell swoop, leaving cheat creators running around like headless chickens for a while as they come up with something new.

Previously, while the game was region-free, people would amass spares from cheaper regions so they could essentially cheat with impunity, but now that the game is ACRTAG-locked (and to reiterate, this was done before Valve's last-ditch effort to preserve RUB support,, and again pre-existing gifts were not affected), this is far less a feasible solution -- suddenly, many cheaters have gone from paying $2 and some change per copy to paying $7.50 at best.

The system isn't perfect (why in the world does South America as a whole suffer when Brazil is the only country with local currency support?), but CS:GO being region-locked was for a good cause.

Jase your new avatar wants to kill me.

Don't worry, it'll be gone soon. ;)

Knurek

Quelaag beaten on the second try.
Golly whiz, I recall taking forever on her on my first playtrough - like, upwards of 100 of tries.
Maybe I'll even get to progress past the first two seprentlizards in Sen's Fortress this time...

Ventara

You should try and watch Murder on the Orient Express(1974) if you like TLE. Sean Connery is in that film.

Edit: Voted for Super Time Force Ultra. Looks pretty snazzy.

Oh, yeah, I've seen parts of that, though I prefer the remake. David Suchet will always be Hercule Poirot to me.

zkylon

zkylewd
The way VAC works is that it bans in waves -- every few months or so, Valve's database of known cheats is swept across the land and those found to have run afoul are shown the metaphorical door. The downside to this is that the day-to-day administration is left to server admins; the upside is that several hacks are banned in one fell swoop, leaving cheat creators running around like headless chickens for a while as they come up with something new.

Previously, while the game was region-free, people would amass spares from cheaper regions so they could essentially cheat with impunity, but now that the game is region-locked (and to reiterate, this was done before Valve's last-ditch effort to preserve RUB support,, and again pre-existing gifts were not affected), this is far less a feasible solution -- suddenly, cheaters have gone from paying $2 and some change per copy to paying $7.50.

The system isn't perfect (why in the world does South America as a whole suffer when Brazil is the only country with local currency support?), but CS:GO being region-locked was for a good cause.
weird

can't valve just track down cheaters and murder them? i mean they have the money for it and let's be real here, cheaters brought it on themselves

also yea system fucking us up not-brazilians pretty hard lol

Don't worry, it'll be gone soon. ;)

awww but i like your new saoirse

it's creepy like i always mean my avatars to be which apparently i never accomplish -__-

Golly whiz, I recall taking forever on her on my first playtrough - like, upwards of 100 of tries.
Maybe I'll even get to progress past the first two seprentlizards in Sen's Fortress this time...
lol it took me like 30 tries to actually kill them both reliably without a shield

ended up just running past them cos wasn't that reliable anyways lol

Tellaerin

Is CoD AW supposed to look like absolute crap texture-wise?

I have a 970 (4GB VRAM obviously) and maxed out the settings. It runs just fine but it sure isn't pleasant to look at currently... any known glitches/fixes?

I dunno, man. That chocolate pudding you're standing in looks totally realistic to me.

ExoSoul

Banned
Should I double dip on brothers?
Also: Everyone vote for Super Time Force! If you don't the earth will explode and we'll do this all over again until it wins so it must win and you must vote for it! The decisison has already been made by another you, you just need to embrace it.

Edit: what do you guys think of Gods Will Be Watching? I'm kinda interested but I don't know if it's my type.

Maniac

Banned
Well... I've had a great, fun christmas eve, followed by a christmas party with most of my family today.

Now the guests have gone and I'm left here feeling awful and lonely. Depression and anxiety is harsh shit, and it's really hard to deal with, especially when you've just had a great few days full of joy and laughs.
It really doesn't help that my grandmother and her sister have both been diagnosed with cancer, and we've no idea if this was their last christmas... But I suppose Doctor Who's advice 'treat every christmas like it's your last' is good advice.

Oh and sorry to be a downer and all, but merry christmas lads, hope you've had a good one, been with your loved ones, enjoyed their company and shown them how much you appreciate them.

Anyway, to be somewhat on-topic; Banished looks so good! Abyss Odyssey looks slick as heck, Anno 2070 looks nice (what's the general word, is it any good, and is complete edition worth getting?) and Lords of the Fallen looks like something I'd love. Lots of great games, not enough monies. I think this has been a proper good sale, and I'd have taken more advantage of that fact if I'd just had the money.

And happy new year to all you lovely folks! Hope it brings about new, better tidings :)

enjoys the feels

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (the_firewithin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons -- MB-F2AC5A24EF9F4A58 - Taken by xezuru

t1419626894z1.png

Grats, she was my first dead end in the game and the run through the swamp to get to her almost killed my will to continue. For those serpent guys try luring them out through the middle, they should trigger their own trap and if you're lucky one of them will die.

Just finished a short session of Lords of the Fallen, I'm feeling a bit dizzy now from all the circle strafing. It's a nice game though, enjoying the style as a contrast to Dark Souls.

Hope STFU wins the vote. :)

(Off-topic)
Was lifting some stuff today and ended up with almost half the fingernail on my thumb ripped off. I used a bandaid to hold the nail on since I don't want to rip it completely off. Didn't expect so much blood. Now off to lunch.

Well... I've had a great, fun christmas eve, followed by a christmas party with most of my family today.
Now the guests have gone and I'm left here feeling awful and lonely. Depression and anxiety is harsh shit, and it's really hard to deal with, especially when you've just had a great few days full of joy and laughs.
It really doesn't help that my grandmother and her sister have both been diagnosed with cancer, and we've no idea if this was their last christmas... But I suppose Doctor Who's advice 'treat every christmas like it's your last' is good advice.
Oh and sorry to be a downer and all, but merry christmas lads, hope you've had a good one, been with your loved ones, enjoyed their company and shown them how much you appreciate them.
stay strong buddy. wish your family patience and strength.

Benedict

Some Christmas leftovers.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Benedict, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Gorky 17 -- MB-6357FE94967565D1 - Taken by autoduelist
RIP Trilogy -- MB-19466CFA42F202E5 - Taken by drizzle
Coldfire Keep -- MB-6F9439A9875DD71D - Taken by Abomination
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage -- MB-E43F194E504181EC - Taken by His Majesty
Sacraboar -- MB-FBD7C1749882C65B - Taken by arts&crafts
Jagged Alliance 2 Wildfire -- MB-E2503B782116B568 - Taken by nightstorm
Into the Dark: Ultimate Trash Edition -- MB-4EB886F2EBE0F7F6 - Taken by Naked Snake

derExperte

EA's servers are having serious issues too. Battlefield is dead and ME3 refused to load a save because the server couldn't authenticate my DLC (which is pretty bad in itself).

Chariot

Just finished Mordor. It was very entertaining, albeit I would love to see the Nemesis system to evolve. It would be nice to actually have visible turf wars with aligned territory and regular raids and the Dark Lord actually fighting back. Maybe orcs realizing that they are taking and trying to seed out traitors.

Been playing Trails in the Sky. It's really enjoyable but for two things: one, the camera likes to change on you so if you're in an area without a minimap it's very easy to double back on yourself; and two, FUCKING MISSABLES! I just discovered I was missing a point from a quest, only to discover it was from one of the very first quests (and I don't have a save file from the very beginning of the game, because why?) Also one of the achievements says "purchase and read all the chapters of this book" but only two are buyable. The rest have to be given to you in missable dialogues. Sigh.

zkylon

zkylewd
Been playing Trails in the Sky. It's really enjoyable but for two things: one, the camera likes to change on you so if you're in an area without a minimap it's very easy to double back on yourself; and two, FUCKING MISSABLES! I just discovered I was missing a point from a quest, only to discover it was from one of the very first quests (and I don't have a save file from the very beginning of the game, because why?) Also one of the achievements says "purchase and read all the chapters of this book" but only two are buyable. The rest have to be given to you in missable dialogues. Sigh.

forget about the achievements, they're fucking torture to get

like only way to get them is having like massive you-need-to-be-on-heavy-medications ocd or be clarivoyant

Chariot

What?

Ah, I heard A secret world is actually pretty good.
It is. Although I wish they would remake it into a single player game. Some mmo aspects are taking my immersion. First and furthermost other players. It's not scary if half a dozen guys run slaughter themselves through everything that's moving around you.

But the skill wheel is insanely cool, the fact that there are not predesignated classes, you can freely choose what skills and weapons you use, stats come from talismans, visible clothes are only extra and the writing is wonderful.

Miguel81

Got Thief. I have to witness the game first-hand to see how it is because the shots and brief playthroughs only show da pretty.

ExoSoul

Banned
Shit, I forgot gifts are now locked for 30 days *facepalm*
Should had bought tem individually and sent them in the purchase... Time for some awkward PMs...

Edit: my typo was funny xD
Edit 2: Oh it works, great! :D

Axass

Should I double dip on brothers?
Also: Everyone vote for Super Time Force! If you don't the earth will explode and we'll do this all over again until it wins so it must win and you must vote for it! The decisison has already been made by another you, you just need to embrace it.

Edit: what do you guys think of Gods Will Be Watching? I'm kinda interested but I don't know if it's my type.

You can try the original for free:

http://www.deconstructeam.com/gods-will-be-watching/

Many said it was disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom