• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedog

Anyone with Marvelous Miss Take know if it's a Unity game?

It looks like it was made with a touch release in mind and I'd like to play it on my Win8 tablet. Unfortunately a lot of Steam games that seem like they'd work great with touch, or have a mobile version, don't. Unity games almost always do though.

StAidan

There wasn't much for me to buy in the dailies, and the discounts seemed worse than in previous sales. I don't mind too much though, given my massive backlog. The lack of a metagame during the sale really reduced the excitement too. Oh well, I'll pick up a few more wishlist items I had my eye on.

I did pass the 250 game mark, so there's that :)

Monooboe

Oh well, at some point you need to stop buying games and start playing them, and at least I got to do some of that over Christmas.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, that 2015 will be there year when I don't buy any games and just play the games I already have. Then buy all the good games I missed 2015 during the next WinterSale. Feels like an impossible task but I do have more than enough good games for it though.

Terra_Ex

Sale was pretty uneventful, already picked up most most of the bigger games I wanted pre-Steam sale from other retailers by combining 66% off discounts with coupons since I correctly guessed Steam's offerings wouldn't be as good based on the last few sales (and without the russian discount). I did like the auction, only really got into it on the last day but got a fair few good deals on indie and mid-tier stuff while everyone else fought over the big names.

Now I need to actually finish some of these games, I need to reclaim some hard drive space...

The best deal is that 50% off coupon from the Square surprise box thingy. Maybe you can find someone who bought that and isn't using the coupon.

they are tied to an account so you cant get them to work :mad: sack of crap suqare
----------
is The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky better than final fantasy xiii-2?

TitS ( 1 ) <<<<>>>> FFXIII-2 ( 0 )

Tizoc

they are tied to an account so you cant get them to work :mad: sack of crap suqare
----------

I would say yes TitS is better than FF13-2 overall. 13-2 has good gameplay concepts though even if they fall short in some aspects.
I'm planning a new year's eve-ish giveaway
I sadly wanted to make a thread of it, but unless the new Steam thread is going up soon, I'll be posting it here.
Or should I wait for the January thread to go up first?

Blitzhex

Is it possible to run 13-2 at 60 fps? I have a 970gtx and a 4690k @ 4.6ghz. I'd buy it again on Steam if so.. I can't be assed to turn on my PS3 to play it.

that was truly an awesome ride! congrats! :D

manus was really being a bitch sometimes.
gwyn wow. that looked so effortless. really like the slow piano tunes at that. gives a nice feeling of melancholy.
mokoi! nice seeing you here again. that avi suits you way better :)
I found this neat little addon for chrome, it helps you to quick sell your cards in just one click. It auto sets the price to the lowest price in the market, or you could set a price difference.
I hope this addon, doesn't break any rules. It just make putting cards to the market faster
while this does look useful and good for time saving, i cannot trust random people to give access to my inventory.
i mean jshackles wrote about scammers who are using similar ways to get access and then transfer items etc. - steal them.
it would help a lot if some trusted dev could check on the source code, like jshackles :p
Gettysburg won!? That's just awesome, I can't believe it won. Now I need to check my couch to see if I can scape together a purchase. I was planning on getting Door Kickers as my last game, but I almost feel like I should buy Gettysburg just because the community vote finally done good.
yes, i am surprised as well. guess we trust the general steam community not enough ;)

danthefan

Have a question about cloud saves and family sharing on Steam.

My bro and I both share our Steam libraries with each other. I have two machines that he's shared his library on (my PC and laptop), I can access his games from both machines.

He has Football Manager 15 in his library, so I can play this via shared games. I've started a new game of Football Manager 15 on my PC, and saved the game as a cloud save. I'm now on my laptop, and go to load a cloud save, but there's no sign of it here.

Is there some issue with cloud saves when sharing games? Is it game specific? Is there some way for me to access the save from my PC on my laptop?

Lomax

Though GMG pretty much beat every single Steam deal with the extra -20% =/

A lot of games that were 75-80% off on Steam never hit above 50% off on GMG. And even more didn't go on sale at all. Not a single game on my GMG wishlist even went on sale. Their sale was very spotty.

Amazon had a couple of best in sale deals (I picked up CoJ: Gunslinger there at 75% off, which never went that low on Steam) and some of the earlier deals like Mordor for $20 were never matched, but overall it was pretty weak and the events of the past years are gone.

Maybe the new Humble Bundle on Sunday will redeem it all.

cicero

I didn't dwell on it so much during this sale as I scurried around looking for the best deals on multiple sites, but I really did miss the old daily art, adventures of the mascots, and decent meta game. They all added a little extra bit of fun and charm to the old sale promotions.

Urgh right sorry if I've not replied to the abundance of chat messages I've had over the past week but I've not really had access to a decent PC and the chat via web browser is rubbish. So sorry if it's come across if I've been ignoring some of youse but I'm out on the piss in an hour and I'll get to it tomorrow in a rather worse for wear state. Happy Bloody New Year!
no need for excuses doc!
wish you and your family a happy new year as well and thanks for the gift again :)
you are awesome!

big thanks to bad.ramen as well. this community can sometimes really bring a smile to my face :)
The auctions were awesome...
that's the truth. some major deals were to be had there ;)
NEO Scavenger -
Played this last night.[...]
nice impressions, thanks.
from time to time i find myself looking at its storepage. reviews are very good but i fear the game to be "too hardcore" kinda.
it's funny because it's true lol
I watched one of my protagonists in Trails in the Sky slap a little girl across the face. Fucking ice cold. But later on, she's still cheerful and acting as if she likes the guy. I mean, I may not be an expert on Japanese culture, but what the hell, Falcom?
various cultures around the globe have different stances on stuff like that i guess.
i mean, sometimes i read about parents getting brought to court for slapping their children in the us.
so, different culture have their ways i guess.
People started posting lists on the gaming thread... ugh... :|
while i do understand lots of people posting damage lists being not very useful or curbing discussion, i kinda can empathize with them.
people like to share happiness with others. hey, if it makes them happy, they are free to their hearts content. we do have two threads now, so no harm is done :)

so there are encore deals this sale? good for people missing stuff i guess.

but two days seems a bit too much for me.

just a friendly reminder. i truly advise you all to head over to steamdb. they have not only all visible frontpage deals listed but as well "hidden" deals.

the 40 games showing on the frontpage are not all encore sales!
there are 161 other deals, many of which are cheap encores going as well currently.

i might purge the bank and get some gifts even :)

Blitzhex

~ First time using this thing.. hope it works.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Blitzhex:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Blitzhex, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Legend of Grimrock -- MB-DFF2918C59C29D5D - Taken by Gallantioh

catabarez

----------

TitS ( 1 ) <<<<>>>> FFXIII-2 ( 0 )

Aww is that true? Well maybe someone could buy it for me and I just paypal the money?

ironmang

Can't really complain with this group of sales. Some stuff wasn't discounted as much as I would have liked but I'm still new to pc gaming (played cs almost exclusively) so grabbing L4D1 and 2 for 7.50 as well as cheap Witcher 1 and 2 will keep me busy.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Interesting: All the days during the sale, the Sale Logo was a fixed .PNG that depicted a static frame with the mascots doing something and, on browsers that would allow it, the animations were made with really compressed .MP4s or .WEBMs (which is why they were all so blurry - they were 400kb looping videos).

Today, however, they're actual script-animated sprite sheets:

ball_wave_1170_9_78.png

And there's a lot of them too:

Code:
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/ball_wave_1170_9_78.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/ball_blink_1170_9_69.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/ball_jump_650_5_25.png

http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/cupcake_jump_650_5_25.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/cupcake_blink_1040_8_60.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/cupcake_wave_1040_8_54.png

http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/monte_wave_1040_8_57.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/monte_blink_1040_8_62.png

http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/runner_blink_1170_9_72.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/runner_present_1170_9_79.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/runner_wave_1170_9_68.png

http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/zippy_blink_1040_8_59.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/zippy_shiv_910_7_46.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/zippy_wave_910_7_45.png

A lot of work for such a simple thing that most people won't even notice.

Blitzhex

Moar
ModBot said:
Instructions for Blitzhex:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Blitzhex, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Terraria -- MB-509A3F856512B427 - Taken by ExoSoul
PixelJunk Eden -- MB-7D1F612C4C0D66E4 - Taken by Speevy
Orcs Must Die! 2: Complete Pack -- MB-A40B11CC8E2EE3C3 - Taken by chronomac. 2 entrants total.

t1420056281z1.png

Tellaerin

The auctions were pretty good. I spent about $3.50 in Steam credit and got about $25 worth of games at sale prices, over $30 at original MSRP.

The sale was pretty butt, though.
- Featured deals tended to be smaller than in the past, more from the 25-50% range than the 50-80%+ range; steep discounts tended to be retreads of games that had been discounted many times in the past. It seems the store is finally settling into a pattern of slow ratcheting discounts for maximum price stratification... which means you'll still eventually get the games you want, but there'll be fewer surprisingly deep discounts
- Fewer opportunities to vote, and fewer overall featured games despite a larger body of games to choose from
- More high quality games than ever not receiving a discount at all (Samurai Gunn's unwillingness to discount even a little is crazy at this point)
- No mascots
- The art only changed every two days
- The video art was interesting I guess but seemed fairly low quality, like it was compressed or aliased or something.
- Overall low quality backgrounds and emotes (although the candycane shiv is cool)
- Double recap day at the end is lazy as heck
+ On the positive side, more and more games available sub 0.49, including some games at 0.09 and 0.19 which is pretty impressive. It seems like devs have more freedom to do bonkers discounts than they once did.

I'd also add that I felt GMG sucked, Amazon had nothing, Humble had crummy sales and no bundles, Bundlestars didn't launch a major bundle, Groupees had relatively little, IndieGala was a drag--so I would say there was relatively little excitement in the gaming scene in general. Nintendo, always a laggard on sales, didn't have much going on. MS was smaller than usual because of the generational transition. Sony's was pretty much on par with usual.

Oh well, at some point you need to stop buying games and start playing them, and at least I got to do some of that over Christmas.

I feel kind of grateful now that I "discovered" Steam sales at what's starting to look like the end of the Golden Age, when Amazon was at the top of their game and you were seeing some crazy markdowns. Thanks to those sales (and bundles), I have a backlog that'll keep me entertained for quite awhile, so I can afford to wait for for the things I'm really interested in to drop into my impulse-buy range. That said, I broke my "-75% or more only" rule a couple of times during this sale, mainly because they were newer games that I was interested in playing now and the prices seemed reasonable with a -66% discount.

Lomax

I feel kind of grateful now that I "discovered" Steam sales at what's starting to look like the end of the Golden Age, when Amazon was at the top of their game and you were seeing some crazy markdowns. Thanks to those sales (and bundles), I have a backlog that'll keep me entertained for quite awhile, so I can afford to wait for for the things I'm really interested in to drop into my impulse-buy range. That said, I broke my "-75% or more only" rule a couple of times during this sale, mainly because they were newer games that I was interested in playing now and the prices seemed reasonable with a -66% discount.

The jump from 66% to 75% is the smallest increment of the sales "steps" and usually means a fairly small overall difference. I was really happy to see Transistor at 66% (expected 50% again) and bought it without hesitation (which probably means it will be bundled this weekend). Usually a baseline price drop means the most. Like I'd expect ACIV base price to drop from $40 to $30 between now and the summer sale, and it will probably get a 66% off sale then, but the price will be the same as it was this sale at 75% off.

Interesting: All the days during the sale, the Sale Logo was a fixed .PNG that depicted a static frame with the mascots doing something and, on browsers that would allow it, the animations were made with really compressed .MP4s or .WEBMs (which is why they were all so blurry - they were 400kb looping videos).

Zippy shiv is pretty amusing.

DocSeuss

The auctions were pretty good. I spent about $3.50 in Steam credit and got about $25 worth of games at sale prices, over $30 at original MSRP.

The sale was pretty butt, though.
- Featured deals tended to be smaller than in the past, more from the 25-50% range than the 50-80%+ range; steep discounts tended to be retreads of games that had been discounted many times in the past. It seems the store is finally settling into a pattern of slow ratcheting discounts for maximum price stratification... which means you'll still eventually get the games you want, but there'll be fewer surprisingly deep discounts
- Fewer opportunities to vote, and fewer overall featured games despite a larger body of games to choose from
- More high quality games than ever not receiving a discount at all (Samurai Gunn's unwillingness to discount even a little is crazy at this point)
- No mascots
- The art only changed every two days
- The video art was interesting I guess but seemed fairly low quality, like it was compressed or aliased or something.
- Overall low quality backgrounds and emotes (although the candycane shiv is cool)
- Double recap day at the end is lazy as heck
+ On the positive side, more and more games available sub 0.49, including some games at 0.09 and 0.19 which is pretty impressive. It seems like devs have more freedom to do bonkers discounts than they once did.

I'd also add that I felt GMG sucked, Amazon had nothing, Humble had crummy sales and no bundles, Bundlestars didn't launch a major bundle, Groupees had relatively little, IndieGala was a drag--so I would say there was relatively little excitement in the gaming scene in general. Nintendo, always a laggard on sales, didn't have much going on. MS was smaller than usual because of the generational transition. Sony's was pretty much on par with usual.

GMG has sucked since they stopped doing 30+% vouchers and dropped down to 20something. It was good earning achievement moneys for a little while, but the opportunities for that dried up too lately.

Amazon's NORMALLY on point, so I dunno what's up with them.

And there's a lot of them too:

Code:
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/ball_wave_1170_9_78.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/ball_blink_1170_9_69.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/ball_jump_650_5_25.png

http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/cupcake_jump_650_5_25.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/cupcake_blink_1040_8_60.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/cupcake_wave_1040_8_54.png

http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/monte_wave_1040_8_57.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/monte_blink_1040_8_62.png

http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/runner_blink_1170_9_72.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/runner_present_1170_9_79.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/runner_wave_1170_9_68.png

http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/zippy_blink_1040_8_59.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/zippy_shiv_910_7_46.png
http://cdn.steamcommunity.com/public/images/profile/holidayprofile/sprite_sheets/crushed/zippy_wave_910_7_45.png

If only they put that much effort into things that needed it.
617311.gif

I've got $6 in steam wallet. Should I get Transistor or Child of Light?

Never played Transistor heard a lot of mixed opinions on it. Child of Light is great, played it on PS3, don't know if there is Ubisoft stuff tied to it if that might turn you off. So Child of Light gets my vote.

Lomax

GMG has sucked since they stopped doing 30+% vouchers and dropped down to 20something. It was good earning achievement moneys for a little while, but the opportunities for that dried up too lately.

Amazon's NORMALLY on point, so I dunno what's up with them.

Once they killed the easy Playfire cash GMG seemed to return more to form (Steam level discounts with an additional voucher, with a few deals unmatched elsewhere), but this Christmas sale in particular of theirs was weak and very odd, like having daily deals that actually increased the price of the game on sale.

I think Amazon finally realized that trying to cater to the deal hunters was a waste of effort, and that occasional deals on mainstream titles (like Civ:BE for $25 and Shadow of Mordor for $20) would make them a lot more money for a lot less trouble.

autoduelist

nice impressions, thanks.
from time to time i find myself looking at its storepage. reviews are very good but i fear the game to be "too hardcore" kinda.

If you're worried about it being too hardcore, honestly, it probably is. It's serious business with a terrible interface.

Almost all commands are done by the oddest interface ever -- you have all your choices in one box, and you drag and drop from another box.

For example, you're in a town and decide to scavenge.

You have a box on the left that has exit / abandoned building / destroyed building / house.
You drag the picture of the abandoned building over to the box on the right and hit spacebar to proceed.

You now have the box on the left with stuff like 'exit' / lighter (in your inventory, use to explore with light) / hide (search more safely, but find less loot) / mechanic (if you have the skill, use to lower danger).

Then you search... and you might find string, an empty bottle, and a food that may or may not poison you.

So you craft the string with rags you found to make a ragshoe.

Battle is the same - you might be 25 squares away, and you'd need to advance 25 times (unless you have a ranged weapon). Tons of options, from charge to tackle to advance to run to hide... there's often 10 choices any given move, all with the brutal drag and drop interface.

Basically... it's got tons of depth. TONS. but it's hidden within a bizarre interface that certainly limits who will enjoy it. On the other hand, I just spent another hour with it because it's oddly addicting. I found a sandal for my other foot and murdered a vagrant for the crime of picking up supplies I'd just found but hadn't taken yet. I didn't have to murder him, I'd knocked him unconscious, but my last 'kick him on the ground' attack gave him a brain hemorrhage.

Get it <$1 in case you hate it. I can't recommend more than that due to the interface.

So, i'm thinking of gifting a game to a gaffer... problem is, i remember reading about that whole ACRTAG(?) stuff, so i'm not sure i would be able to gift it to him. I live in brazil, he lives on the US.
Would i be able to gift him?

Wok

So the games I have spent (the most) money on this year are:
  1. Dota 2 (~285 euros, don't touch this game)
  2. Dark Souls II (~27 euros)
  3. The Talos Principle (~25 euros, most disappointing investment of the year)
  4. Game of Thrones (~22 euros, GreenManGaming did not provide a Steam key though...)
  5. Tales from the Borderlands (~21 euros, really fun)
  6. Life is Strange (~18 euros, an investment for 2015)
  7. Stronghold : Crusader II (~16 euros, just abusing a price mistake, but I don't intend to play the game...)
  8. The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt (~12 euros, Ukrainian trading)
  9. Gang Beasts (~12 euros, clumpy controls)
  10. Hand of Fate (~12 euros, original but not that great)
  11. Metal Gear Solid : Ground Zeroes (~11 euros, impressive)
  12. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (~11 euros, quite boring though)
  13. Sportsfriends (~11 euros, local coop')
  14. The Binding of Isaac : Rebirth (~10 euros, quite great)
  15. The Marvellous Miss Take (~9 euros, beautiful)
  16. Plague Inc: Evolved (~9 euros, repetitive)
  17. Ibb and Obb (~9 euros, buggy Internet code)
  18. Nidhogg (~9 euros, the best local duelling)

The games I am most expecting for 2015 are:
  1. Metal Gear Solid V : The Phantom Pain
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. The Witness
  4. Miegakure

Grief.exe

Can't really complain with this group of sales. Some stuff wasn't discounted as much as I would have liked but I'm still new to pc gaming (played cs almost exclusively) so grabbing L4D1 and 2 for 7.50 as well as cheap Witcher 1 and 2 will keep me busy.

Check out Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and Mount and Blade: Warband. Some of my favorite games, extremely cheap, and required play for any PC gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom