• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

Still some hours until midnight but I might as well leave this here. I really hope you all can have a great entry to 2015. I wish that you can all achieve new goals during the next year and I hope I can be here to witness that. You all have been beyond amazing and I'm so proud to belong to this fine community. Lot's of great people, great discussions, some great recommendations and some good people to chat about our fine hobby as well.

I managed to offer some goodies (food related) to those who are less lucky to have a nice meal during this day so I hope at least they can have a slice of our traditional deserts. This time of the year it's all about helping those who might have less so that I can share a bit. If I could I would give you all some slice of our traditional cooking around here, you would love some of these things, I promise! ;)

I have the biggest respect for you all and I hope we can all keep getting strong as a community. Happy (upcoming) 2015 for you all, my good, fine GAFfers.

Here's some hand-made, traditional deserts I gathered:

53Tg0Tbl.jpg

I'm a big fan of a good, traditional, well made Sangria, that glass is mine, I admit! ;)

I have Don't Starve on Vita but I'll have to check the other two out. Was hoping to see Binding for cheaper but looks like $10 is the best I'm going to see. Never heard of the last one.

Binding of Isaac was free for PS+ subscribers in November (PS4/PSVita). It's worth $10 on Steam.

Don't Starve, free on PS4/PSVita for PS+ subscribers, and arguably more complete than the Steam version.

autoduelist

What was the price when it was a flash? I had it confused with a FPS and never even looked at it. Now I see it is a cool 2d rainbow six. Looks awesome!

It wasn't too much cheaper, only 9.99 vs 11.99. I'll still be picking it up myself, but tomorrow -just- in case they do something weird tomorrow since it's the first time we've had so many encore days.

Haha first thing I said when I looked at it was " it's a single player frozen synapse."

Yes, that's what it looks like to me. But that isn't a bad thing.

Heck, I sunk like 50 hours into Breach & Clear, which is nowhere near as good as Frozen Synapse (missing too many options, like pausing at waypoints to set up simultaneous breaching or flash bangs). But even missing all that, I had an absolute blast with Breach & Clear, and can't wait to pick up Door Kickers which seems to get very positive reviews and is fully featured. But B&C was worth it's current budget price to me, certainly... though it didn't 'shine' till I started playing on insane with permadeath on higher, well defended levels and had adjusted to the limited controls.

And then after Door Kickers, I'll replay frozen synapse. And then after that, again on vita.

One of my shortlisted 'dream games' (topped by an Autoduel remake, obviously) would be an x-com style game (That is, strategic overworld decisions) with a Frozen Synapse style tactical layer. Doesn't need to be sci-fi, could be modern... manage several swat teams in a city overrun by crime, take down ganglords to clear areas, etc.

denx

Oh, Shovel Knight is on sale again.

Mmmh, I'm torn about this. I have just about the Steam funds to get the game, but I recently bought a 3DS and SK seems like a perfect on-the-move kind of game. Buy the game now on Steam or wait for it to be further discounted and buy it on the 3DS now instead, decisions...

Happy new year Monk!

ironmang

Binding of Isaac was free for PS+ subscribers in November (PS4/PSVita). It's worth $10 on Steam.

Don't Starve, free on PS4/PSVita for PS+ subscribers, and arguably more complete than the Steam version.

Ya I missed the free download somehow. Was sure I selected it on the web store and "purchased" it too but when I checked a few weeks ago it asked for the $15 lol. Really wish it automatically purchased everything for PS+ members.

If you're worried about it being too hardcore, honestly, it probably is. It's serious business with a terrible interface.

Almost all commands are done by the oddest interface ever -- you have all your choices in one box, and you drag and drop from another box.

For example, you're in a town and decide to scavenge.

You have a box on the left that has exit / abandoned building / destroyed building / house.
You drag the picture of the abandoned building over to the box on the right and hit spacebar to proceed.

You now have the box on the left with stuff like 'exit' / lighter (in your inventory, use to explore with light) / hide (search more safely, but find less loot) / mechanic (if you have the skill, use to lower danger).

Then you search... and you might find string, an empty bottle, and a food that may or may not poison you.

So you craft the string with rags you found to make a ragshoe.

Battle is the same - you might be 25 squares away, and you'd need to advance 25 times (unless you have a ranged weapon). Tons of options, from charge to tackle to advance to run to hide... there's often 10 choices any given move, all with the brutal drag and drop interface.

Basically... it's got tons of depth. TONS. but it's hidden within a bizarre interface that certainly limits who will enjoy it. On the other hand, I just spent another hour with it because it's oddly addicting. I found a sandal for my other foot and murdered a vagrant for the crime of picking up supplies I'd just found but hadn't taken yet. I didn't have to murder him, I'd knocked him unconscious, but my last 'kick him on the ground' attack gave him a brain hemorrhage.

Get it <$1 in case you hate it. I can't recommend more than that due to the interface.
woah. that sounds way to complicated, hah. you drag items to make actions? never saw that one before. prove me wrong old-gaf
turfster :p
good stuff! gonna take a in-depth look now. thanks man.
did you put all deals posted throughout that thread in your op or do i have to scour through it?
We are not doing lists.
No lists allowed.
Have mercy.
come on... you want it... let's all post lists... of games we bought... and games we didn't... and games we might buy next time...
Still some hours until midnight [...]
happy new year to you as well man!
what are the things on the left plate? dough filled with mashed potatoes?
Shit, I'm having Dark Souls withdrawl.
I have Lords of the Fallen installed -- is that Dark Souls-y enough to scratch my itch?
do it! graphically it looks better than ds in some aspects but variety-wise not so much. but i'd say it is a formidable timefiller till bloodborne.

Speevy

Banned
I came to realize this year that most of the games I can successfully finish nowadays are platformers. Kind of sad since I can run almost anything.

Though I do need to pick up Dark Souls 2. All the negativity at launch kind of turned me off of it.

denx

I just remembered January is the month when people put pics of themselves as their avatar. Hate that, browsing GAF gets weird as fuck.

I came to realize this year that most of the games I can successfully finish nowadays are platformers. Kind of sad since I can run almost anything.

Though I do need to pick up Dark Souls 2. All the negativity at launch kind of turned me off of it.

Isn't there the upgraded version coming soon?

maguskain

ModBot said:
Instructions for maguskain:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (maguskain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Marlow Briggs -- MB-5A399A2BFD1D6C7C - Taken by Darth Kupi. 9 entrants total.

t1420074645z1.png

This is my first give-away...others have been very generous so I thought I'd give something away too. [crossing my fingers I didn't screw this up]

The_Monk

happy new year to you as well man!
what are the things on the left plate? dough filled with mashed potatoes?

There are 2 different deserts on the left plate but I can assure none of them have mashed potatoes. :) One is indeed a combination of dough but also with sugar, cinnamon and they are drown into milk. Both go to the frying pan and they taste great. One of them, the bigger square-looking ones are made of bread as well, really good!

------

Does any kind soul knows when Prison Architect is out from the Early Access? Still a lot of time from it to fully release?
Also, why I'm I temped tempted by Dark Void? I want to be done with this sale, already.

Oh, Shovel Knight is on sale again.

Mmmh, I'm torn about this. I have just about the Steam funds to get the game, but I recently bought a 3DS and SK seems like a perfect on-the-move kind of game. Buy the game now on Steam or wait for it to be further discounted and buy it on the 3DS now instead, decisions...

Happy new year Monk!

Get it on Steam, fool.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
There are 2 different deserts on the left plate but I can assure none of them have mashed potatoes. :) One is indeed a combination of dough but also with sugar, cinnamon and they are drown into milk. Both go to the frying pan and they taste great. One of them, the bigger square-looking ones are made of bread as well, really good!

------

Does any kind soul knows when Prison Architect is out from the Early Access? Still a lot of time from it to fully release?
Also, why I'm I temped tempted by Dark Void? I want to be done with this sale, already.

Do it.

Edit: paskldhflkja

Lomax

What? How?

Bundles. Bundles everywhere.

RIP wallet.

Yep, bundles bundles bundles. And Playfire GMG credit, and trading card credit. I probably spent less this year than I did last year out of pocket. But so many bundles. And I generally only buy bundles with some games I at least am semi-interested in, so the total could certainly be much higher if I was only going for game count. I still feel like the vast majority of the games I have I'd be interested in playing, even though I know realistically many of them I never will.

Let's all post lists that no one will read so we can feel bad about ourselves just before the new year starts.
there's only one thing on my list for '14
  • it was the best decision to register on gaf. learned a lot here and made lots of new friends. some even great :)

Tizoc

New thread will be posted when the sale ends for closure, so don't expect anything for a few days :p

Cool, gonna post my giveaway in a few minutes :p
I always do it in here unless you're giving away like a system or something.

Its a big-ass giveaway, and it's 24 hours...partially for EVIL REASONS >=D

Though honestly I would've liked to make it a thread but eh...
see ya'all in 15+ minutes :V

Sini

Does any kind soul knows when Prison Architect is out from the Early Access
I think it'll stay EA for at least 9 months if they decide not to expand scope of the game much. Hopefully they won't call it finished so fast.
While it "feels like" finished game to some there's still plenty to do, especially with AI systems.

The_Monk

there's only one thing on my list for '14
  • it was the best decision to register on gaf. learned a lot here and made lots of new friends. some even great :)

I like this post!

I think it'll stay EA for at least 9 months if they decide not to expand scope of the game much. Hopefully they won't call it finished so fast.
While it "feels like" finished game to some there's still plenty to do, especially with AI systems.

Thanks a lot for answering Sini. :)

Nordicus

Oh well this is just dandy. Because of an update that F-Secure got just minutes ago, it is now blocking most of Steam. Happy New Year, I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom