• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Minsc

Gold Member
That is "pushed" as much as any Steam OS update.

The difference is SteamOS will never restart. I can have a game running for a year or more.

Windows 11, I very much doubt you can show me an uptime of more than 40 days. Because Windows will restart your PC without your input.

Unless you hibernate for like 60 days and don't run it long enough to be restarted and immediately hibernate again. But if it's in sleep/standby overnight, it will restart, regardless of what is running on the PC.

Last edited:

GHG

Throwing edge cases? You limiting yourself to only Steam on the Deck is a big edge case.

Nope. You can install the likes of emudeck, get it all configured and then never have to touch desktop mode ever again if you don't want to.

Which is the key point here, Windows will interrupt you, force updates on you, etc and there is no way around it on any devices that run Windows. That is not the case for the Steam Deck, if you don't venture in to the desktop mode and start doing stuff there nothing is going to be forced upon you, particularly not while gaming or using a full-screen application.

That is "pushed" as much as any Steam OS update.

Continuing to make things up are we? The only way to even know that you haven't updated the system on the Steam Deck is if you go to the settings page and search for it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The difference is SteamOS will never restart. I can have a game running for a year or more.
Never?

IMG-20240806-171701.jpg

These updates here every time ask you to restart.

GHG

Never?

IMG-20240806-171701.jpg

These updates here every time ask you to restart.

Do you even know what you're looking at here and do you know what I had to do to get that to show up?

That's in the settings page and I had to click search for updates to even get that to show up.

Don't misrepresent the very image I've posted, thank you.

Window 11 NEVER interrupts me, unless you call the updates installing when I manually restarts/turn off "interrupt me".

That's the point, try not doing the updates when you restart/shut down and see what happens.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
But you don't have to restart. You can simply not ever restart. Then you never update.

With Windows 11, you get restarted by the OS, without your decision to restart.
I have to restart if I want the changes to take effect.

Windows 11 NEVER restarted without asking me. Will it happen after several days without restarting? Makes no difference.

Minsc

Gold Member
I have to restart if I want the changes to take effect.

Windows 11 NEVER restarted without asking me. Will it happen after several days without restarting? Makes no difference.

Literally impossible to have it ignore the updates, unless you run them yourself. If you try not restarting your PC for over 6 weeks it will restart itself.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Do you even know what you're looking at here and do you know what I had to do to get that to show up?

That's in the settings page and I had to click search for updates to even get that to show up.

Don't misrepresent the very image I've posted, thank you.

That's the point, try not doing the updates when you restart/shut down and see what happens.
Do you know? Those are just Steam updates. Nothing to do with Arch linux/non Steam updates.

How not trying doing the updates on manual restart/shut down to see what happens affects my Windows 11 not interrupting me during the use?

Sleepwalker

Sorry, but if you're talking about the latest AAA games then I'd much rather play them on a big screen via my main PC or even one of the more powerful consoles than on a little handheld at low/medium settings while killing the battery life.

But that's the thing that people who love pushing devices like the Ally are missing, most people here also have a more powerful PC or console to go alongside the Steam Deck. A little more power just isn't worth all the trade-off in other areas, nevermind the fact that you also need to suffer through windows on a handheld.
Nevermind that OLED deck + moonlight beats the shit out of whatever battery and performance you can get out of the ally x.

Ive played a few AAA games streamed from my PC and with HDR fully capped at 90fps on the deck. Its glorious.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Literally impossible to have it ignore the updates, unless you run them yourself. If you try not restarting your PC for over 6 weeks it will restart itself.
Why the hell would I ignore updates for Windows, Arch linux or Steam in the first place???

GHG

Do you know? Those are just Steam updates. Nothing to do with Arch linux/non Steam updates.

Yes I do, and the good thing about the Steam updates is that you can go as long as you want using the device without ever having to do any kind of software update. Which means, you can game on the system uninterrupted for as long as you wish.

Why the hell would I ignore updates for Windows, Arch linux or Steam in the first place???

I have a bot that runs 24 hours for 5 days a week making me money. I'd rather windows update didn't decide to interrupt that.

I would also like to be left alone when I want to do some gaming on my PC.

Beyond any of that, since it's my system, I would like to be able to decide if and when updates take place on my system.

None of this is too much to ask, and until windows stops being so heavy handed then these will continue to be common complaints across the board and it will continue to be hard to recommend as an OS for certain use cases (a dedicated gaming handheld being one of them).

Minsc

Gold Member

On a portable gaming console I leave games running forever pretty much, until I finish them, I ran a picross game on the Switch for a good 6 months, no updates. When I want to play I jump right in, no waiting for logos or anything. On a desktop I've had uptimes in the 300s in the past, before you had to do updates. I basically never restart my PCs.

I would love it to death if Windows brought over the instant resume feature from Xbox. Then you could resume games between restarts. That would outweigh all issues I have with Windows' forced restarts, but unfortunately that's an Xbox exclusive feature. God forbid they make their Desktop OS more portable console friendly, what with all these portable consoles running Windows out now.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Beyond any of that, since it's my system, I would like to be able to decide if and when updates take place on my system.
Is it your system only when you have insignificant things to complain about or it is your system too when you receive free improvements that you didn't ask for?

On a portable gaming console I leave games running forever pretty much, until I finish them, I ran a picross game on the Switch for a good 6 months, no updates. When I want to play I jump right in, no waiting for logos or anything. On a desktop I've had uptimes in the 300s in the past, before you had to do updates. I basically never restart my PCs.

I would love it to death if Windows brought over the instant resume feature from Xbox. Then you could resume games between restarts. That would outweigh all issues I have with Windows' forced restarts, but unfortunately that's an Xbox exclusive feature. God forbid they make their Desktop OS more portable console friendly, what with all these portable consoles running Windows out now.

Nice way to murder the silicon "life" keep it running all the time. And nice way of not getting improvements from updates not updating them for 6 months.

Last edited:

Filben

Guys, you are going in circles and are moving goal posts with almost every other post now.

The original statement was:
My Steam OS updates things every single day.
To clarify: Steam does update games' shaders and/or compatibility files quite often. Depending on how many games you have simultaneously installed this can literally be every single day or at least something feeling close to it. SteamOS updates (updates, as a noun, for the Steam Operating System), however, are not rolled out every day; not even remotely. Even if you're on the beta branch, OS updates don't roll out that often.

pasterpl

You mean on steam os ...Because you can install windows on it you know.
I know, but as I said earlier I am expecting all my steam library to work on my steam device without any need from me to install another OS. Quite logical isn’t it. All games I have got in my Xbox library works on my Xbox (started to move to digital only last gen and keep og Xbox and 360 for my retro collection), all games I have bought from Nintendo e-shop on my switch work on my switch.

nevermind the fact that you also need to suffer through windows on a handheld.
Yes, that horrible windows that would allow me to at least run all of my steam library games without any compatibility concerns. Never had issues with my windows machines (got gaming desktop PC and 4 windows laptops at home) never could understand what people install on their machines to cause issues.

If you need something that pairs with the xbox "ecosystem" then no shit the Steam Deck won't satisfy you, you'd be better off with a windows device.

I have got some games in my steam library that are from Xbox ecosystem- you are aware that MS publishes all of their games on steam. What I want, what I am most dissatisfied with when it comes to steam deck is the fact that as I said above - I am expecting all my steam library to work on my steam device without any need from me to install another OS. Quite logical isn’t it. All games I have got in my Xbox library work on my Xbox (started to move to digital only last gen and keep og Xbox and 360 for my retro collection), all games I have bought from Nintendo e-shop on my switch work on my switch etc. But not all of my steam library games work on my steam device. That’s why I am looking for better alternatives.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been running Windows 11 on my Deck for a while now, over a year maybe?

Finally decided to re-image it with SteamOS as I've heard there have been a lot of updates to the OS itself and also with stuff like Decky and it's plugins, as well as Emudeck. While it sucks losing "easy" access to stuff like my GOG and Epic games, it definitely feels like I get better performance in SteamOS than I did in Windows for most things. It could also be because it's easy to tweak stuff on the fly in SteamOS, setting a 40fps cap for example.

So far, I have yet to launch any game in my (vast) Steam library that the Deck hasn't been able to handle - though I'll admit that I mostly play games with lower requirements. Even some games that are straight up labeled as "unsupported" have worked fine. The only game I ran into a few issues with was the original Age of Mythology where I had to remap some controls.

Very impressed still with what Valve has done with this hardware.

Minsc

Gold Member
I know, but as I said earlier I am expecting all my steam library to work on my steam device without any need from me to install another OS. Quite logical isn’t it. All games I have got in my Xbox library works on my Xbox (started to move to digital only last gen and keep og Xbox and 360 for my retro collection), all games I have bought from Nintendo e-shop on my switch work on my switch.

Yes, that horrible windows that would allow me to at least run all of my steam library games without any compatibility concerns. Never had issues with my windows machines (got gaming desktop PC and 4 windows laptops at home) never could understand what people install on their machines to cause issues.

I have got some games in my steam library that are from Xbox ecosystem- you are aware that MS publishes all of their games on steam. What I want, what I am most dissatisfied with when it comes to steam deck is the fact that as I said above - I am expecting all my steam library to work on my steam device without any need from me to install another OS. Quite logical isn’t it. All games I have got in my Xbox library work on my Xbox (started to move to digital only last gen and keep og Xbox and 360 for my retro collection), all games I have bought from Nintendo e-shop on my switch work on my switch etc. But not all of my steam library games work on my steam device. That’s why I am looking for better alternatives.

This isn't really all that different than expecting all your Nintendo games to run on your Nintendo device or Sony games to run on your Sony PSP.

Plenty of Steam games were made for a different platform (windows) than the Deck runs (Steam OS). Just like plenty of Sony games were designed for other platforms than the PSP, such as the PS4 or PS5.

If you're super worried about which games run, you can browse the verified games or try YouTube. I've seen no shortage of Windows games that run badly on Windows, like the recent Visions of Mana reportedly runs awful on Windows/Ally X.

Last edited:

proandrad

Been running Windows 11 on my Deck for a while now, over a year maybe?

Finally decided to re-image it with SteamOS as I've heard there have been a lot of updates to the OS itself and also with stuff like Decky and it's plugins, as well as Emudeck. While it sucks losing "easy" access to stuff like my GOG and Epic games, it definitely feels like I get better performance in SteamOS than I did in Windows for most things. It could also be because it's easy to tweak stuff on the fly in SteamOS, setting a 40fps cap for example.

So far, I have yet to launch any game in my (vast) Steam library that the Deck hasn't been able to handle - though I'll admit that I mostly play games with lower requirements. Even some games that are straight up labeled as "unsupported" have worked fine. The only game I ran into a few issues with was the original Age of Mythology where I had to remap some controls.

Very impressed still with what Valve has done with this hardware.
Junk store is very easy to install and it automatically puts your epic game and gog games on the steam ui. Don’t let the Linux interface scare you. Installing applications is easy on linux and there are plenty of YouTube videos that can walk you through anything you want to do. Community support on Linux is miles better than any you get on windows

Minsc

Gold Member
Is it your system only when you have insignificant things to complain about or it is your system too when you receive free improvements that you didn't ask for?

Nice way to murder the silicon "life" keep it running all the time. And nice way of not getting improvements from updates not updating them for 6 mouths.

I don't keep them running all the time, outside the Desktop - I just don't restart them ever. The desktop runs a Plex server so it needs to run all the time.

I'm pretty sure all the silicone will likely outlive me or at least be replaced before it became an issue from being on, actually I expect most hardware I purchase to be able to run 24/7 including stuff like air purifiers and refrigerators. PCs are no different.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Junk store is very easy to install and it automatically puts your epic game and gog games on the steam ui. Don’t let the Linux interface scare you. Installing applications is easy on linux and there are plenty of YouTube videos that can walk you through anything you want to do. Community support on Linux is miles better than any you get on windows
I am a Linux server admin by trade, so I don't typically shy away from a good command line session if needed. When I installed Windows on my Deck last year, it simply wasn't possible to run most GOG, Epic, or Windows Store games in Linux. That looks to have mostly changed. Except for the Windows Store stuff.

reinking

Gold Member
I think once you start going the route of connecting to an external display the Ally X definitely comes ahead with the faster speed and having Windows (docked its great with KB+M, totally replaces a desktop for lighter gaming), but as far as being self-contained, for any game the Deck is able to run well (45+ fps) it's the better device thanks to mainly its OLED display, it does such a better job of impressing visually, everything just looks better.
I am starting to think you like OLED. Please don't tell me you are a vegan too. 😜

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You do realize that it is the essence of a pc gamer tweaking things to make them work, just like some msdos games are problematic to run without tweaking and installing things even though you bought them for your pc at the time, just like all pc can't run all steam games.
But if you really are that much against windows I don't see where the rog ally will help you there.

GHG

They never promised that the entirety of your steam library would run on the device.

Of course not. With all those Microsoft devices that happen to be in your household of course nothing be or go wrong with any of them.

The Steam Deck is a portable PC that runs Linux. You're approaching all of this from a console gamer mentality. Valve never said every game in your library would run on the machine, that was never guaranteed. Just as it's not guaranteed that every game will run on a particular PC or OS.

jshackles

Personally my favorite Decky plugin is the SteamGridDB one. Selecting their custom artwork easily from the context menu is great, especially for games that are old and no longer supported by the devs that still have the old horizontal art instead of the full vertical box art.

pasterpl

Of course not. With all those Microsoft devices that happen to be in your household of course nothing be or go wrong with any of them.
Funny thing is that my private most used laptop is M3 MacBook Pro and I use as main machine for working for some of my clients, I have got Kali Linux installed on it as well (just for experimentation and some work) but next to my bed I keep my Samson Galaxy Book Windows laptop that I also use daily. Some of my clients require me to work on machines provided by them due to security reasons. My gaming desktop is obviously windows only. I am OS agnostic - I work on all popular operating systems and I don’t have to shit on any of them just to feel better - all are great at many things, but all got some flaws again and you can have great experience with each if you know what you are doing. Same with consoles - I prefer Xbox mostly (switch is for me when I need my Nintendo fix), but I own everything from original psx,og Xbox or GameCube, I even got Dreamcast laying around.

They never promised that the entirety of your steam library would run on the device.
They didn’t have to, it is logical expectation.

The Steam Deck is a portable PC that runs Linux. You're approaching all of this from a console gamer mentality. Valve never said every game in your library would run on the machine, that was never guaranteed. Just as it's not guaranteed that every game will run on a particular PC or OS.
As I said above, if they made a decision to release a device that includes name of their online store in its name they should have expect people to think that they will be able to use it access their library from their online store - you know its being steam deck - my portable steam machine - but it is it only to some degree. I am not sure why this concept is so hard to grasp for you?

As I have said before, I own steam deck, bought it day one when it launched, spent many hours playing on it, but longer I use it more flaws I see. And You cannot handle someone critiquing it for some reason. People can have different opinions than you have, and this is my subjective opinion after using steam deck for long time, you can have different view on it, and that absolutely fine.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Out of curiosity, what kind of plugins do you use the most and for what?
PowerTools for fine-tuning
Animation Changer for shitposting
CheatDeck cuz I'm lazy
SteamGridDB for compatibility
Junk-Store for EGS library
CSS Loader for compatibility
HLTB for Deck for info
EmuDecky for nothing really, don't have time to properly setup EmuDeck
ProtonDB badges for insane convenience
DeckSettings because it's faster to find Deck settings profiles there than to scout Reddit

pasterpl

You do realize that it is the essence of a pc gamer tweaking things to make them work, just like some msdos games are problematic to run without tweaking and installing things even though you bought them for your pc at the time, just like all pc can't run all steam games.
But if you really are that much against windows I don't see where the rog ally will help you there.
I am PC Gamer since I was 6 years old, that’s over 30 years now :) - my fire OS was MS-Dos. Not sure why you think that I am against windows?

Filben

they should have expect people to think that they will be able to use it access their library from their online store
IIRC they advertised the SteamDeck with 3000 or 4000 compatible games. I know some buyers can be ignorant, but usually you make an informed buying decision before spending more than the price of a cup of coffee for something; impulse purchases are usually rare for the majority when we have to spend a noticeable fraction of monthly income. Of course this depends on your income; I see that there are people earning several thousands a month and just go "oh, this looks nice and it's only 400 bucks, and it says STEAM, so I'll have that." But I also see that this is the minority. Most people probably read a few paragraphs about such a product.

Personally, I'd want a stronger CPU for the Deck; GPU is fine by me. I mostly play indie games that doesn't require much GPU power. Also, GPU-heavy features can usually lowered in many games, while CPU-specific features not so much. Even with indie games I found several instances, like in a point and click adventure (Unavowed), or a farming sim (Roots of Pacha) where a lot of things happen on the CPU side and it drains like 4 to 5W, while the GPU is around or below 1W, draining the battery and make the SteamDeck hotter than you'd expect in these kind of games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Funny thing is that my private most used laptop is M3 MacBook Pro and I use as main machine for working for some of my clients, I have got Kali Linux installed on it as well (just for experimentation and some work) but next to my bed I keep my Samson Galaxy Book Windows laptop that I also use daily. Some of my clients require me to work on machines provided by them due to security reasons. My gaming desktop is obviously windows only. I am OS agnostic - I work on all popular operating systems and I don’t have to shit on any of them just to feel better - all are great at many things, but all got some flaws again and you can have great experience with each if you know what you are doing. Same with consoles - I prefer Xbox mostly (switch is for me when I need my Nintendo fix), but I own everything from original psx,og Xbox or GameCube, I even got Dreamcast laying around.

As I said above, if they made a decision to release a device that includes name of their online store in its name they should have expect people to think that they will be able to use it access their library from their online store - you know its being steam deck - my portable steam machine - but it is it only to some degree. I am not sure why this concept is so hard to grasp for you?

As I have said before, I own steam deck, bought it day one when it launched, spent many hours playing on it, but longer I use it more flaws I see. And You cannot handle someone critiquing it for some reason. People can have different opinions than you have, and this is my subjective opinion after using steam deck for long time, you can have different view on it, and that absolutely fine.

It's as logical as expecting your Nintendo DS to run Nintendo Switch games. Valve has been incredibly transparent that it would not have 100% compatibility. But what does run is almost everything. So it's really not that bad. And what doesn't run today very likely can be fine tomorrow.

Plus you can just stream or put Windows on it if it matters that much. You are essentially doing what they call making a mountain out of a molehill. Trying to create a problem that doesn't exist by in large.

Last edited:

jshackles

Agreed, the fact that Windows can be installed on the Deck (just like any other "commodity" PC) means that the Deck itself is just another PC with a different form factor. I ran Windows 11 on mine for over a year to overcome some (non-Steam) game incompatibilities - and the fact that I was even able to do that, and that the games ran just as well as they would have with a similarly spec'd desktop computer, means that the compatibility on the Steam Deck is essentially 1:1 with a Windows PC. And just like any PC, sometimes you have to do a little legwork to make things run the way you want them to - or at all.

GHG

Please spare me the fake neutral nonsense considering your history here and the fact that you've posted in support of Microsoft acquiring valve.

There are genuine critisms to be said about the device, yours aren't. They've been very straight forward in communicating what the deck is vs what it isn't. Your expectations are out of whack and it's 100% not supposed to function as some kind of Xbox companion device.

Quasicat

Personally my favorite Decky plugin is the SteamGridDB one. Selecting their custom artwork easily from the context menu is great, especially for games that are old and no longer supported by the devs that still have the old horizontal art instead of the full vertical box art.
Wait…that’s a thing. Looks like I‘m fixing some of my old Steam games tonight. I thought I was stuck with the old art forever.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Please spare me the fake neutral nonsense considering your history here and the fact that you've posted in support of Microsoft acquiring valve.

There are genuine critisms to be said about the device, yours aren't. They've been very straight forward in communicating what the deck is vs what it isn't. Your expectations are out of whack and it's 100% not supposed to function as some kind of Xbox companion device.
Has a problem with Steam Deck not supporting every Steam game but never heard him complain that Game Pass has exclusive PC games that aren’t on console :messenger_loudly_crying: it’s Game Pass bro, you should get 100% of Game Pass games on Microsoft’s own platform.

Reactions: GHG

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Wait…that’s a thing. Looks like I‘m fixing some of my old Steam games tonight. I thought I was stuck with the old art forever.
Oh yeah it's awesome there's even some animated pics for some games and you can search a similar game if you don't like the artworks presented(you can change the backgrounds, icon on the top bar and the name of the game that appears when you press the steam button while playing).

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

The famous neutral gamer.... the last guy trying to play that card that was darkmage right ?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Minsc

Gold Member
To be fair it does sound like the Switch 2 should be able to run stuff especially docked that the Deck has no business doing.

Top Bottom