• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

near

Gold Member
d9Vg4N1.jpeg

Got home to meet this sexy thing, very nice between the hands.

near

Gold Member
I spent a bit of time with the Deck now and it’s quite fantastic in terms of its build quality and ergonomic design. Very comfortable to hold even over a 2-3 hour session. It’s quite light given its size and the fan has been almost non-existent, that’s how quiet it has been. Screen is gorgeous as expected. The back buttons feel a little out of place or maybe because I have small hands, I just don’t think I’ll ever make use of them. UI is clean and simple, and I haven’t encountered any issues with the OS, runs really well. I also downloaded Aperture Desk Job which turned out to be a polished and charming 30min Steam Deck tutorial. I've been playing Lorelei and the Laser Eyes, it's soooo good.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I spent a bit of time with the Deck now and it’s quite fantastic in terms of its build quality and ergonomic design. Very comfortable to hold even over a 2-3 hour session. It’s quite light given its size and the fan has been almost non-existent, that’s how quiet it has been. Screen is gorgeous as expected. The back buttons feel a little out of place or maybe because I have small hands, I just don’t think I’ll ever make use of them. UI is clean and simple, and I haven’t encountered any issues with the OS, runs really well. I also downloaded Aperture Desk Job which turned out to be a polished and charming 30min Steam Deck tutorial. I've been playing Lorelei and the Laser Eyes, it's soooo good.
Initially felt the same (except for the small hands part) but you'll get used to it and it will become important.So much that I miss them when playing on a regular controller now.Don't hesitate to tweak your controls there''s a really great variety of customisation.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member

I had trouble with the back buttons and basically ignored them for a year, but you can buy little stick-on pads for them which helped make them a lot more physical (way easier to find while holding naturally) and usable - since they protrude more pushing them in is easier.

Make sure to give the HDR a go too, Ori 2 is a quick way to experience it, but there's plenty of other games (over 100) that showcase how amazing it can look too.

I don't think it feels premium but it's the most comfortable portable I've ever held. It just fits so perfectly. And everything is so easy to reach since the sticks are more horizontal to the pad/buttons so I don't have to adjust my grip to reach them unlike the Switch and the other portable PCs not named GPD.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been playing a ton of Deep Rock Galactic Survivor on the Deck. Mostly plays at a smooth 60fps which feels like magic.

Hard to top something that's just $10, is super addictive, and runs so smoothly.

JCK75

I really try everything I can to keep from installing windows, when I set my steam deck up for my son his two most played games were not available..
Today I've found a solution that gets him back in the game

Waydroid is a really incredible Android emu that allowed me to install Minecraft and Roblox and play them flawlessly on the SteamOS side of the deck..
I was hoping with Fortnite Mobile being back in action that I'd be able to also get it going for him, but sadly Epic Games Store won't allow you to install the game saying
device is not compatible (for fucks sake let me TRY it anyways).. but it will let you install fall guys..

Minecraft did give me a crash message on first startup a few times, but you just choose to wait and it will load and run.

Maybe a dumb question but I cant see/find steamgriddb under my plugins in the decky loader? I have all the other ones available to instal like protondb badges, non steam launchers but this one is just missing completely for me.

AndrewRyan

Wasn't going to upgrade the ssd but ended up ordering a 2tb last night that arrives Sunday and a little 2030 enclosure for the old 512. Been wanting to mess around with 3D gaming on XR glasses but a little afraid to brick things but will go ahead this week.🤞

EDIT: Upgrade went smoothly. The little usbc enclosure is blazingly fast- transfers a 7gb file in about 4sec! Also fixed the right bumper while in there. It had stopped registering when pushed from the side. Didn't get around to messing with 3D yet.

Feels great having so much space! Also like starting over with the organizing. Only installing games I intend to "complete soon" on the ssd. Still thinking about how to organize the other sd cards but something where I'm not having to guess where to find things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom