• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

GHG

Can’t wait to be honest. The 64gb was last in stock over a month ago and it typically comes in and out of stock every 2 months or so, so I’m just checking the web page daily at the moment.

Not even going in to stuff like Cyberpunk, Shadow of the Erdtree, RDR2 etc. that I’m yet to play. I’ll update the thread when I eventually get my hands on one

If you want to grab some dirt cheap older games in advance then the flatout games have just been updated specifically for the deck:

djjinx2

You guys should look up Arcade Punks and Batocera.

Can't believe I have never tried it before as dual boot (with Windows)

It literally is now a switch, PS2, 3DS, Mame and many more machine.

Blew me away compared to any other emulation stuff!

ReBurn

Gold Member

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Welcome to the family for me, I guess. 1tb OLED and so far it's the best portable device I've ever had (ignore the system date, I'm an idiot).
4dyRlV3.jpeg

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Over the last week I’ve really had an internal battle within myself. To be honest, it’s been ongoing for months at this point.

Do I throw down on a Deck when it’s 2 year old hardware? Do I wait for a Deck refurb and change the SSD myself? Re-buy a PS5 or Series S in order to get my multiplayer fix? It’d be cheaper, as I own hundreds of games on those platforms, but I’d be locked in to online fees and I’d need a monitor.

Last night was my lowest ebb: I was considering a Backbone and xCloud combination to fill the void until the Deck 2 releases.

In a moment of desperation an hour ago I told my missus that the Deck could be expensive and I was having doubts. Her advice was simply ‘just do it’.

So here I am an hour later: JUST ORDERED MYSELF A DECK OLED BITCHES!

smackdown live sport GIF by WWE

BANG BANG!

GTA V AND RDR 2 ORDERED LETS GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Over the last week I’ve really had an internal battle within myself. To be honest, it’s been ongoing for months at this point.

Do I throw down on a Deck when it’s 2 year old hardware? Do I wait for a Deck refurb and change the SSD myself? Re-buy a PS5 or Series S in order to get my multiplayer fix? It’d be cheaper, as I own hundreds of games on those platforms, but I’d be locked in to online fees and I’d need a monitor.

Last night was my lowest ebb: I was considering a Backbone and xCloud combination to fill the void until the Deck 2 releases.

In a moment of desperation an hour ago I told my missus that the Deck could be expensive and I was having doubts. Her advice was simply ‘just do it’.

BANG BANG!

Chicks love a big Deck!

My co-worker and I do a lot of commutes together and I let her play my Deck. She was all about and decided she wanted one, but wondered if it was best to get OLED or regular. I convinced her to get a 64GB and I did the upgrade for her with stuff I had lying around from before I upgrade my and my son's Decks. The way I convinced her was that the $200-300 she'd save compared to the OLED could go towards a PS5 since she's on a lowly PS4.

However, if you have the money and want the best Deck experience than the OLED is the way to go. Welcome to the club! Deck totally changed my play habits, even despite the fact I had Razer Kishi+Phone+xCloud/Moonlight combo. It keeps your phone free to be a phone, gives you a bigger and better screen, wayyy better ergonomics and control options, gives you flexibility for on-the-go/offline play, and just feels like the physical manifestation of your Steam library. Most of all it lets you play while you hang out with family members that are doing other things, so you get more family time. Probably 50% or more of game time is on Deck despite having a nice gaming PC, gaming laptop, PS5, Series X, Switch Lite, etc, etc. Hell, it's even useful for playing your owned Switch library. It's how I played Mario Odyssey, Wonder, and Unicorn Overlord(I own these games, and some I own multiple copies so I'm not hurting the devs or Ninty).

Kacho

Gold Member

BANG BANG!

Enjoy. I’ve had mine since February and I’ve been playing it nonstop. Amazing machine.

pasterpl

I am getting tired of my deck now (bought mine at launch), any suggestions re what to upgrade to? Was looking at ASUS Rog Ally X but not sure about it yet.

Banjo64

cumsessed
7oWuNHf.jpeg

Hell yeah.

Gone for the most generic but well reviewed accessories you can imagine: modcase, skull & co thumb grips, screen protector and 512gb sandisc extreme pro micro sd.

iH2JHsg.jpeg

Just done the initial set up and GTA V is downloading.

This thing is actually super light in the hand and not as gargantuan as I thought it would be.

Great ergonomics although my thumb keeps defaulting to the left track pad when it’s seeking the d-pad. Also need to get used to A and B being reversed from the Switch.

Can’t wait to play.

Humdinger

Question for you Steam Deck folks: In terms of its power, what console would you compare the Steam Deck to, when it's docked to the TV? Xbox S?

Context for the question: I'm a console guy who sometimes wonders about PC gaming but doesn't want the hassle associated with PCs. Steam Deck is an option because it avoids those hassles (well, most of them). However, I'm not into portable gaming, and if I bought a Steam Deck, I would almost always have it docked to my TV. So I'm wondering what sort of power I should expect from what is basically a portable console.

GHG

just be aware that not all of your steam library games will run steam deck - one of the reasons I am switching Ally X

It's literally only more recent games released this generation that don't run well on the Steam Deck.

When people talk about a "backlog", usually they aren't only talking about games released in the last couple of years.

OverHeat

« generous god »
As a Steam Deck Oled owner…the APU is starting to show is age…can not recommend it over Ally X

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
It's easy enough to recommend an OLED Deck over an Ally X if you care at all about how the games look, that LCD panel sucks.

near

Gold Member
just be aware that not all of your steam library games will run steam deck - one of the reasons I am switching Ally X
Yeah I'm very much aware, I didn't just spend close to £600 without doing some research. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I don't intend to play graphically demanding games or newer games on it. I have a lot of indie and small scope games that are better suited in a handheld format in my Steam library. It will run everything I intend to throw at it, and I will get some serious mileage out of this thing.

OverHeat

« generous god »
It's easy enough to recommend an OLED Deck over an Ally X if you care at all about how the games look, that LCD panel sucks.
Black level aside the ally X rape the steam deck oled screen in specs and I’m an OLED fanboy

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Black level aside the ally X rape the steam deck oled screen in specs and I’m an OLED fanboy

I mean I have both, and there's no contest at all. Deck's OLED destroys the Ally X screen. As soon as I turned on the Ally X it was disgusting, back light bleeding through the blacks.

Then playing Octopath Traveler on both at 60fps, and the colors look so much worse on the Ally X.

I am talking about comparison where both systems run at a capped 60+ fps though. In a comparison where the Deck was under 45fps that's a different story, but I have countless games to play that have no trouble hitting 60 on the Deck.

Edit: When using the Ally X I feel it benefits tremendously outputting to an OLED display, whether docked to an OLED monitor or connected to OLED Xreal glasses, the colors and display look way better to me that way.

Last edited:

pasterpl

It's literally only more recent games released this generation that don't run well on the Steam Deck.

When people talk about a "backlog", usually they aren't only talking about games released in the last couple of years.
I know that backlog means different thing to people, to me is games, regardless of release date that I have purchased but have not played yet. Don’t get me wrong I had great time with my steam deck - played lots of games, replayed all bioshock‘s etc. Played lots of indie games I have got in my library but it shows it’s edge with newer titles that I have got in my library and would love to play on handheld while commuting or when in my bed.

Yeah I'm very much aware, I didn't just spend close to £600 without doing some research. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I don't intend to play graphically demanding games or newer games on it. I have a lot of indie and small scope games that are better suited in a handheld format in my Steam library. It will run everything I intend to throw at it, and I will get some serious mileage out of this thing.
Yes, for these type of games it should be fine, steam deck is a great machine, got my at launch and still use it, but getting more annoyed with compatibility issues and performance in some games.

GHG

I know that backlog means different thing to people, to me is games, regardless of release date that I have purchased but have not played yet. Don’t get me wrong I had great time with my steam deck - played lots of games, replayed all bioshock‘s etc. Played lots of indie games I have got in my library but it shows it’s edge with newer titles that I have got in my library and would love to play on handheld while commuting or when in my bed.

Yes, for these type of games it should be fine, steam deck is a great machine, got my at launch and still use it, but getting more annoyed with compatibility issues and performance in some games.

Sorry, but if you're talking about the latest AAA games then I'd much rather play them on a big screen via my main PC or even one of the more powerful consoles than on a little handheld at low/medium settings while killing the battery life.

But that's the thing that people who love pushing devices like the Ally are missing, most people here also have a more powerful PC or console to go alongside the Steam Deck. A little more power just isn't worth all the trade-off in other areas, nevermind the fact that you also need to suffer through windows on a handheld.

Last edited:

Holammer

7oWuNHf.jpeg

Hell yeah.

Gone for the most generic but well reviewed accessories you can imagine: modcase, skull & co thumb grips, screen protector and 512gb sandisc extreme pro micro sd.

iH2JHsg.jpeg

Just done the initial set up and GTA V is downloading.

This thing is actually super light in the hand and not as gargantuan as I thought it would be.

Great ergonomics although my thumb keeps defaulting to the left track pad when it’s seeking the d-pad. Also need to get used to A and B being reversed from the Switch.

Can’t wait to play.
IfN5uhX.jpeg

This might be helpful, for Steam navigation anyway? Games have their own settings.

Humdinger

If you mean the Xbox One S, then yes, that would be correct.

I was actually thinking of this generation's S (Xbox Series S), but thanks for clarifying. I didn't know how to gauge the Steam Deck's power in terms of my console experience. So roughly equivalent to the base PS4, then.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

I was actually think of this generations S (Xbox Series S), but thanks for clarifying. I didn't know how to gauge the Steam Deck's power in terms of my console experience. So roughly equivalent to the base PS4, then.

Yep, basically in between the Xbox One S and the PS4 in terms of raw power. If you want an idea of how it performs with specific games then do a youtube search for that game + steam deck and you should find a video of someone testing it on the device (if they are good then they will also show you how it runs with various settings/resolutions).

Banjo64

cumsessed
IfN5uhX.jpeg

This might be helpful, for Steam navigation anyway? Games have their own settings.
Thank you, that’s really useful to know.

I’m loving my Oled, I’ve started GTA V’s campaign after giving up on it twice on console. It’s amazing how some games age like a fine wine when you compare them to most 2024 releases.

It’s just a pain waiting for sales now, I’m mainly planning to use it for online games and a small handful of SP games (Sekiro cometh).

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

I’m loving my Oled, I’ve started GTA V’s campaign after giving up on it twice on console. It’s amazing how some games age like a fine wine when you compare them to most 2024 releases.

It’s just a pain waiting for sales now, I’m mainly planning to use it for online games and a small handful of SP games (Sekiro cometh).
You might be interested to look at emudeck.If you like retrogaming.

GHG

No need to wait for sales, they're available all year round:

Banjo64

cumsessed
You might be interested to look at emudeck.If you like retrogaming.
I might have to go down that route for my handheld collection as my 3DS display triggers migraines.

No need to wait for sales, they're available all year round:

I have had a quick browse on a few sites; CD Keys have Elden Ring & DLC for £50 which is great but Sekiro seems to be price fixed and the Xbox games I’d like (MCC, Gears 5 and Sea of Thieves) are only available cheap on the Microsoft store.

I’m happy to wait a month or so, I’ve had an eye on Steam DB and it’s pretty clear the patterns and frequency of the sales.

GHG

I might have to go down that route for my handheld collection as my 3DS display triggers migraines.

I have had a quick browse on a few sites; CD Keys have Elden Ring & DLC for £50 which is great but Sekiro seems to be price fixed and the Xbox games I’d like (MCC, Gears 5 and Sea of Thieves) are only available cheap on the Microsoft store.

I’m happy to wait a month or so, I’ve had an eye on Steam DB and it’s pretty clear the patterns and frequency of the sales.

Yeh for some publishers you typically need to wait for the Steam sales before they are available for steam on sale. Everything else though, just take a look at the 3rd party sites and you should find a reasonable deal.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
From what I remember it is a bit tedious to install (the problem might have been because i''m using the 64gb model and had to instal most of it on the SD.
But there was some great step by step walkthrough and also once set you're pretty much done(except for retroachievement thaty often disconnects for some reason).
But I can play from the nes to the switch, and ps1/2/3/p/v every sega console etc...Some heavier games requires some tweaking but it is pretty functionnal from what I've tried.
And if you have a problem the steamdeck community is very welcoming and helping, just look at the sheer number of walkthrough on youtube for games/tips and tricks.

pasterpl

Sorry, but if you're talking about the latest AAA games then I'd much rather play them on a big screen via my main PC or even one of the more powerful consoles than on a little handheld at low/medium settings while killing the battery life.

But that's the thing that people who love pushing devices like the Ally are missing, most people here also have a more powerful PC or console to go alongside the Steam Deck. A little more power just isn't worth all the trade-off in other areas, nevermind the fact that you also need to suffer through windows on a handheld.
Got gaming PC connected to 48 inch Oled 120hz screen, also got 2x Xbox series x consoles - one connected to that oled screen and another connected to my 120 inch gaming 4K triple laser projector in my bedroom. But I do commute to work occasions, or simply go somewhere on the weekend where I use public transport, sometimes while in bed and cannot sleep I like to play a video game without needing to wake up my partner with light from 120 inch screen. There are many scenarios that a proper handheld that plays my whole library is a good use case for me. Battery is rarely an issue for me as I always travel with high capacity and high quality power banks (usually take 2 with me, whenever I travel). Same with windows, I don’t mind it - for comparison I hate steam deck desktop mode - it is useless and while I understand why it is there, if I really don’t have to I don’t use it all - don’t get wrong, a proper windows mode for handhelds would be very cool As a quality of life upgrade.

for some reason, you think that it is your way or no way, no one is supposed to critique steam deck because you have said so and everyone should have the same gaming habits and needs. Chill out. I own steamdeck, loved it for long time but now I am seeing it flaws and how it starting to lag more and more in areas that are important for me.

GHG

for some reason, you think that it is your way or no way, no one is supposed to critique steam deck because you have said so and everyone should have the same gaming habits and needs. Chill out. I own steamdeck, loved it for long time but now I am seeing it flaws and how it starting to lag more and more in areas that are important for me.

Nope, it's not a case of my way or no way, it's a case of being baffled by the assumption that not all of somebody's backlog will plaly well on the Steam Deck. I've not experienced such problems and I'm sure many others are in the same boat. People are capable of doing their own research.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Nope, it's not a case of my way or no way, it's a case of being baffled by the assumption that not all of somebody's backlog will plaly well on the Steam Deck. I've not experienced such problems and I'm sure many others are in the same boat. People are capable of doing their own research.
assumption is correct as nor I or you know what it is someone’s else’s backlog - some will have games that will all work great on steam deck others (me included) will have many games that simply are not playable on the device. You just cannot assume that everyone’s backlog is only indie or older games. You made assumption about everybody uses handhelds as well. For me it is part of my PC/Xbox ecosystem that I want to use in an exchangeable way for all games that I play.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
assumption is correct as nor I or you know what it is someone’s else’s backlog - some will have games that will all work great on steam deck others (me included) will have many games that simply are not playable on the device. You just cannot assume that everyone’s backlog is only indie or older games. You made assumption about everybody uses handhelds as well. For me it is part of my PC/Xbox ecosystem that I want to use in an exchangeable way for all games that I play.
You mean on steam os ...Because you can install windows on it you know.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think once you start going the route of connecting to an external display the Ally X definitely comes ahead with the faster speed and having Windows (docked its great with KB+M, totally replaces a desktop for lighter gaming), but as far as being self-contained, for any game the Deck is able to run well (45+ fps) it's the better device thanks to mainly its OLED display, it does such a better job of impressing visually, everything just looks better.

Last edited:

GHG

I said that's how most people use theses devices, whereas your original statement was very definitive, without even understanding what games are in the person's library and what they intend to play. There is a difference.

If you need something that pairs with the xbox "ecosystem" then no shit the Steam Deck won't satisfy you, you'd be better off with a windows device. Not everyone gives a shit about that though (again, I'll say most applies here as well).

I think once you start going the route of connecting to an external display the Ally X definitely comes ahead with the faster speed and having Windows (docked its great with KB+M, totally replaces a desktop for lighter gaming), but as far as being self-contained, for any game the Deck is able to run well (45+ fps) it's the better device thanks to mainly its OLED display, it does such a better job of impressing visually, everything just looks better.

Yep, I'd say this is accurate. However I'd also say if someone is going to use it docked full time, they might as well take the step to get a proper PC for not too much more so that they can get more power, have an upgrade path and not have to worry about the battery/thermals side of things.

How is the "suffer" on Windows any different than the "suffer" on Arch Linux?

I've never once had Linux on the Steam Deck get in the way of anything I'm doing or want to do. The same can't be said for my windows devices where I've had windows update decide to fuck me over many a time, both for work and play.

If you want my take, it's that Windows in its current form has no place on a handheld dedicated to gaming, particularly not one without a trackpad. Microsoft have the power to change that though if they wish.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I've never once had Linux on the Steam Deck get in the way of anything I'm doing or want to do. The same can't be said for my windows devices where I've had windows update decide to fuck me over many a time, both for work and play.

If you want my take, it's that Windows in its current form has no place on a handheld dedicated to gaming, particularly not one without a trackpad. Microsoft have the power to change that though if they wish.
My Steam OS updates things every single day. Windows doesn't.

Steam Deck has both track pads and touch screen and works ok on my Windows 11. I doubt other Windows devices with touch screen can't work almost as ok as the Deck.

Minsc

Gold Member

Steam Deck has both track pads and touch screen and works ok on my Windows 11. I doubt other Windows devices with touch screen can't work almost as ok as the Deck.

Nope, ain't backing down here. SteamOS never once pushed an update on me. Ever. They're there, but you can hold off on them indefinitely, just like Switch or any portable console.

Windows 11 does it every month. Restarts your PC whether you like it or not, against your will.

GHG

Lmao no it doesn't. Image from my steam deck right now:

IMG-20240806-171701.jpg

It only updates when I want it to and it's never once interrupted or shut down a gaming session to alert me of or install an update. The same can't be said of Windows however where that's happened several times to me.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Nope, ain't backing down here. SteamOS never once pushed an update on me. Ever. They're there, but you can hold off on them indefinitely, just like Switch or any portable console.

Windows 11 does it every month. Restarts your PC whether you like it or not, against your will.
Windows 11 never pushed an update on me as we can set it to ask every time to restart or not.

Kacho

Gold Member
Yep. You see the ! when an update is available on Steam Defk but you have to initiate the installation.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Lmao no it doesn't. Image from my steam deck right now:

IMG-20240806-171701.jpg

It only updates when I want it to and it's never once interrupted or shut down a gaming session to alert me of or install an update. The same can't be said of Windows however where that's happened several times to me.
This is just the Steam update, my dude. Arch Linux updates are on the Discover app. Lol.

Minsc

Gold Member
Windows 11 never pushed an update on me as we can set it to ask every time to restart or not.

It does for me, you can postpone them upto 5 weeks, but after that it will just reset my computer by itself to put the update in. Does that on all the PCs in the office too, they just automatically restart themselves for updates during the night.

Minsc

Gold Member
This is just the Steam update, my dude. Arch Linux updates are on the Discover app. Lol.

I've never once used the Discover app on my Deck lol. Is it something you need? Actually that's not true, I think I used it to download Decky or ProtonGE or something once at the very beginning of owning it, but I never opened it again.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It does for me, you can postpone them upto 5 weeks, but after that it will just reset my computer by itself to put the update in. Does that on all the PCs in the office too, they just automatically restart themselves for updates during the night.
You must have a special Windows 11 then, mine only updates when I ask to or when I restart Windows manually.

GHG

You're talking about desktop mode that you literally never have to touch or even see during the whole time you own the device if you don't want to. The same cannot be said for windows handhelds.

Nah, both windows 10 and 11 will forcibly install updates. If you don't do it when you shut down/restart then after long enough it will take over your system a during operation at some point, regardless of what you're doing, which becomes a nightmare if you rarely shut down/retart your system.

If you want to use "all" options the Deck has, yes.

So now you're just throwing edge case use cases in to the ring for the hell of it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom