• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

You mean until 12$ will be enough for DOS2 on the storefront, not counting on resellers and other sites?
Divinity OS EE has, so far, never been below 15$ on the store (https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?...info?plain=divinityoriginalsinenhancededition).
And that's a two year old game, so you are possibly looking at three years or more (considering that DOS2 seems to sell way better, and it usually is a function of a game's success, in combination with age)

No I just do not usually buy games at full price. I usually wait for 10% off or more. So I can use my $12 now on DD or wait a bit more for a sale for DOS2 and use the $12 for that then.

Xater

Surely you selected expansions then?

Looking back I think it's obvious that the best additional content for RPGs have been in the form of expansions. Sort of like an additional campaign module for pen and paper. You could perhaps argue that it's sometimes be better to make the expansion its own game or stand-alone module, similar to what Shadowrun: Dragonfall ultimately became, but that's probably circumstantial.

Both scenarios work for me.

Anno

Yeah, but they actually did DLC for Tyranny and that was just so uninteresting. Most of that stuff you would sell piece meal just doesn't work with how these kind of fame are played.

Yeah I don't really disagree with you. I just think that them calling this a DLC survey encompasses traditional expansions, too.

Though I do think there's room for smaller DLC items too. I selected mixed bag because I wouldn't mind seeing them experiment with it.

Hektor

This question from the Obsidian survey is terrible

"Imagine you've purchased a game for $44.99 (USD). Assuming you are interested in its announced DLC lineup, what is a fair price for the season pass? (If you never purchase season passes, please answer $0)"

Like, that entirely depends on the content? A 10$ season pass and a 150$ season pass can all be fairly priced depending on how much stuff's in there

Voted for proper expansions, altho the option specifically reffered to standalone ones when i just wanted to vote for expansions in general.

AHA-Lambda

^why are Obsidian asking such questions in the first place when they already sold a season pass as an add on during the fig campaign??

^why are Obsidian asking such questions in the first place when they already sold a season pass as an add on during the fig campaign??

Well, they're also asking about shooters, casual games, sports games, and PUBG clones, so it's probably not about Deadfire.

Regardless, I already bought the season pass, so whatev.

Hektor

V4rbfY3.png

PCGamers!!! *shakes fist*

Thery are supposedly working on another, unannounced game that's a bigger project than PoE2

Durante

Surely you selected expansions then?
Only if they are stand-alone, and post-game. And at that point you could also just make another game.

Generally, adding stuff to the main game in CRPGs (and most games really) does nothing for me, since I don't re-play these long games.

Nzyme32

PUBG continues doing crazy #s. Holding 1.6 million concurrent players on Monday and Tuesday. These are weekdays wth. Its like the people playing this game are strapped or cuffed to their computer desk. Reminds me of all those crazy people when WoW really took off back in 2005-2006.

Edit - I'm wrong and obviously waaay too tired!! Bed time for me!

Purkake4

Banned
Only if they are stand-alone, and post-game. And at that point you could also just make another game.

Generally, adding stuff to the main game in CRPGs (and most games really) does nothing for me, since I don't re-play these long games.
Aww, but that's what they're doing with Underrail.

Xater

I replay long games if they add stuff to the campaign that alters it enough. Example, xcom, xcom2, darkest dungeon, halcyon 6... to name a few.

Not really story focused games though. For a CRPG stuff that just mixes in with the main game us worthless. I am not going to replay this long game again to see that. Something that is post game is fine. A stand-alone expansion can sometimes be even better.

In XCOM I can have fun with the new stuff even if I don't feel like going through a whole campaign. It's very different to me.

Tonton

Speaking of how content is integrated in long games, Hollow Knight is still getting content updates, right? How do you access that, would i have to replay the game if i finished it and they added more stuff?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so Battle Chasers is pretty fantastic. It has the best jrpg style (just not to confuse it with xcom or something) turn based battle system I've seen it many many years.

Once you delve deep into the systems they created and understand how it all works, man its fun. Finished the first (of eight) dungeons on heroic (you can choose normal or heroic the first time, and then legendary if you want to run through it again, diablo style) after about 3 hours of playing, so can already see how this will be easily 30+ hours like people said.

Not really story focused games though. For a CRPG stuff that just mixes in with the main game us worthless. I am not going to replay this long game again to see that. Something that is post game is fine. A stand-alone expansion can sometimes be even better.

In XCOM I can have fun with the new stuff even if I don't feel like going through a whole campaign. It's very different to me.

We're talking about length, but I would for sure replay a long story rpg if the alterations were good enough.

Hell, there are probably some RPGs I would have loved to have that type of DLC in the past.

Tonton

so Battle Chasers is pretty fantastic. It has the best jrpg style (just not to confuse it with xcom or something) turn based battle system I've seen it many many years.

Once you delve deep into the systems they created and understand how it all works, man its fun. Finished the first (of eight) dungeons on heroic (you can choose normal or heroic the first time, and then legendary if you want to run through it again, diablo style) after about 3 hours of playing, so can already see how this will be easily 30+ hours like people said.

That's good to know, I love the style this game has going for it but I didn't know much more on what to expect of it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's good to know, I love the style this game has going for it but I didn't know much more on what to expect of it

feel free to ask me anything u want to know, im here all night...

no really, I literally am, cause of work lol >_>

Chronoja

Quick question: Has anyone encountered problems with Enhanced Steam lately? Up until recently everything was fine for me but it's suddenly taking absolutely ages to load things, especially on the activity page where it can take up to 5 minutes to load per "page". during which it's locking up the entire browser. The only major change I can think of is updating to the latest version of Firefox but I haven't seen anyone flagging this as an issue, so maybe it's something I've missed? or something else entirely.

prudislav

Interesting ... Dragon's Dogma just got cca 1GB patch without any changelog (coinciding with console rerelease) .... people say its new translation and it supposedly ada berserk armor sets

So Avadon 3 is on sale... and man, I feel like I'm letting Jeff Vogel down by not buying Spiderweb's RPGs. IIRC his stuff is selling below his indiepocalypse predictions, so I'm not sure what his path forward is. I really like what they do, but I have to be in such a specific mood to play them.

Like, I wish the art and UI--the presentation in general-- was better. Think it'd help them a lot. 'Cause the writing and level design are sooo good, it's just a matter of getting people's hands on them.

I think a mix of both is best. Like a new campaign and new mechanics, rather than just one or the other. A proper expansion, y'know.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen is a great example. (Firaxis' stuff is generally a good example of xpacs.) Because once you add it, the game is completely unrecognisable with how much has been new and tweaked. Or the Witcher 3's expansion pass, which adds new questlines meeting or exceeding the quality of the base game on top of new mechanics to see. Both are extremely meaty for their price.

I place a high value on meat.

Interesting Dragon's Dogma ... just got cca 1GB patch without any changelog .... people sayits new translation and it supposedly ada berserk armor sets

Steam version? Nice.

I could go for a replay of that some time. That character creator alone is worth diving back into.

zkylon

zkylewd
Interesting Dragon's Dogma ... just got cca 1GB patch without any changelog .... people sayits new translation and it supposedly ada berserk armor sets

berserk armor sets would be pretty neat

i really hope capcom some day makes a new dragon's dogma

that game is amazing

So Avadon 3 is on sale... and man, I feel like I'm letting Jeff Vogel down by not buying Spiderweb's RPGs. IIRC his stuff is selling below his indiepocalypse predictions, so I'm not sure what his path forward is. I really like what they do, but I have to be in such a specific mood to play them.

Like, I wish the art and UI--the presentation in general-- was better. Think it'd help them a lot. 'Cause the writing and level design are sooo good, it's just a matter of getting people's hands on them.

I wish his stuff wasn’t all sequels or remakes of older games. I feel like I’m missing some key element if I start with the second game in a series. And honestly, I probably don’t have the time to get caught up so I can play the third game in a series of pretty long and deep RPG’s.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
When games include lots of little DLCs that update the base game I just end up wishing I had waited for the inevitable GOTY edition or whatever that includes all of them two years down the road.

When a game like a CRPG is out there ahead of release talking about tons of updates coming down the line, I'm much more likely to just refund the game and wait two years for them to actually finish it. This is what I should have done for D:OS1. That original game was terrible once you got past the first act, and I was never able to even get that far. I kept hitting powerful fights I wasn't ready for and things that made no sense. Then a year or so later, the Enhanced Edition came out for free to owners of the original game. I went back and played that and it was like night and day. The game flowed much better and the balance was on point. Waiting and buying games like these later is very beneficial when you're likely to only play the games once.

Luckily, there are about 3-5 gigantic RPGs waiting around for me to find time to play them (Trails in the Sky 3rd, Trails of Cold Steel 2+, Tyranny, Darkest Dungeon, several others I am probably forgetting). Take the slow road and come back to the new stuff later and be rewarded with a better game and a cheaper price!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-0F566E0F0C1E841B - Taken by Jawmuncher
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-4CE18938F3C017E8 - Taken by voodooray
Mystery Game #3 -- MB-AFFF65395C59F89F - Taken by Dec

Logically, it makes sense to wait for "complete" versions of games.. but still, there's something fun about playing games in development.

e.g. my experience with Skyrim would be completely different if I didn't play it at launch when there was a physics glitch, whereby a giant would launch their target hundreds of meters into the air upon a killing blow. It was patched pretty quick but I can't forget it. Or DOS1 with its infamous man of many cheeses.
I wish his stuff wasn’t all sequels or remakes of older games. I feel like I’m missing some key element if I start with the second game in a series. And honestly, I probably don’t have the time to get caught up so I can play the third game in a series of pretty long and deep RPG’s.

They're about as connected as Larian's Divinity series is, AFAIK. So, very loosely.

They're about as connected as Larian's Divinity series is, AFAIK. So, very loosely.
Even taking that into account, if I already own seven Spiderweb RPG’s that I’ve barely touched, plus a good dozen other CRPGs, when will I pick up Jeff’s latest title? On the outside, the part of my brain that’s superficial and lame, it looks like the same experience I’d get if I fired up the games I already have.

This is actually why I haven’t bought either Divinity Original sin game, because I have Larian games I haven’t even started once. And I probably should play those first, to justify buying the next games. Of course, OS2’s intensely positive reception might change things a bit.

Even taking that into account, if I already own seven Spiderweb RPG’s that I’ve barely touched, Plus a good dozen other CRPGs, when will I pick up Jeff’s latest title? On the outside, the part of my brain that’s superficial and lame, it looks like the same experience I’d get if I fired up the games I already have.

This is actually why I haven’t bought either Divinity Original sin game, because I have Larian games I haven’t even started once. And I probably should play those first, to justify buying the next games. Of corse, OS2’s intensely positive reception might change things a bit.
Right. That top bit is where I am with Spiderweb's stuff too. They're all kinda variants on the same thing gameplay-wise, AFAIK.

Divinity is a different situation because each series has very different gameplay. Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga is an action/adventure/RPG hybrid thing, Dragon Commander is a strategy/RTS, DOS1/2 are open adventure tactical RPGs, and the other ones.. I don't even know.

And the chronology is even weirder:
8800 AR - Divinity: Dragon Commander
0004 AR - Divinity: Original Sin
1218 AD - Divine Divinity
Divinity: Original Sin 2 ← current timeline
1238 AD - Beyond Divinity
1300 AD - Divinity II
I kinda love that they're in the same setting though. It's so rare to have long-running indie franchises.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel it's very case by case and it's a lot up to good dlc planning

i love the fallout new vegas dlc because the content in the dlc was something that split off the main story and each dlc fed off the events of the previous dlc building up to an amazing climax at the end

waiting for lonesome road was amazing and the moment it finally landed and all those months of anticipations got rewarded with a really satisfying conclusion (even if the gameplay wasn't the best) felt like a fitting end to a long journey

similarly, while i really don't like most of the content of blood and wine, i think playing it long after i was done with the regular story, as a sort of epilogue that wrapped up not just witcha 3 but the entire series, felt really emotional at the end and i think that effect would've been lessened if i just played that right after finishing my shit with ciri and the wild hunt

i don't think this is the case for every game, for dark souls, for instance, it becomes really awkward to play the dlc as i'm generally on ng++ or something by the time it releases and playing through the dlc on those difficulties is often past my abilities and i end up having to start over just to play it (which in the case of 2 was great cos i love dark souls 2, but for 3 it was just ehhhhh....). or like in deus ex human revolution, in which the dlc is just bizarre in how it fits the story progression, but if you play the game as one complete linear thing, then it's kind of a neat side story?

dlc is a really cool format if devs take advantage of its episodic nature and how it fits in the "meta narrative" of the player's experience with the game. i think the feelings of "coming back" to a game and having "one last adventure" are criminally underused, and i generally prefer dlc that follow those kinds of formats than the dlc that's just like more game that could've easily sneaked into the rest of the main story

tho that's cool too

good dlc is so cool, it's the best

Nezzhil

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fallen Enchantress -- MB-EA6DADF663D2F971 - Taken by Kurt Russell. 1 entrants total.
The Corporate Machine -- MB-5AC888E3D8416E4B - Taken by bloke. 1 entrants total.
The Political Machine 2016 -- MB-0FF85423B72686F8 - Taken by TheGreenArrow. 2 entrants total.

t1507069169z1.png

Also, I still have one of the recent HumbleBundle free games, so if someone missed the deal...
Edit: I don't know if the Outlast giveaway code has expired, so I left here the Steam codes.
Outlast:
NWHT4-IHKMY-62DCW
Outlast expansion:
FND9Q-V8GKL-0XW8K

Right. That top bit is where I am with Spiderweb's stuff too. They're all kinda variants on the same thing gameplay-wise, AFAIK.

Divinity is a different situation because each series has very different gameplay. Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga is an action/adventure/RPG hybrid thing, Dragon Commander is a strategy/RTS, DOS1/2 are open adventure tactical RPGs, and the other ones.. I don't even know.

And the chronology is even weirder:

I kinda love that they're in the same setting though. It's so rare to have long-running indie franchises.

I agree, I’m a huge fan of Larian despite not having bought their two most popular titles. :D

I know a lot of people won’t share this opinion but most games generally give me the same broadly emotional response or feedback. So despite a wide variety of genres, my motivation for playing the games doesn’t really change. It’s all interchangeable. I also don’t have a lot of brand loyalty. I like Nintendo games but I don’t think they’re some godly set of titles that no other game could offer that experience. I find plenty of indie games that give me equivalent experiences.

So even despite Larian’s output being very diverse, it’s still an effective rationalization to not spend money.

Annubis

That's my problem with Spiderweb games. There's no evolution between the entries.
Just a different story, minor gameplay changes and few different graphics (the re-use is so damn high).

That's my problem with Spiderweb games. There's no evolution between the entries.
Just a different story, minor gameplay changes and few different graphics (the re-use is so damn high).

Not to mention the re-use of SOUND assets. The "chatter" in indoor spaces gets really repetitive and annoying.

Never heard of this before today, but it sounds pretty intriguing and there's apparently a demo coming on Thursday.

DESCRIPTION:
Underhero is a 2D side-scroller RPG adventure game with timing-based combat. It tells an intriguing and mysterious story, full of silly characters brimming with personality, quirky dialogue, and lots of weird humor.

STORY:
Inspired by Paper Mario games and RPGs in general, it tells the story of a world where the chosen hero has failed and an underling of the main villain takes his place as the new “hero”. Join the magical hilt Elizabeth the IV and the little Masked Kid, as they travel the world to restore Elizabeth’s long lost power, so they can defeat the tyrannical Mr. Stitches and save the world once and for all!

FEATURES:
A sidescrolling RPG adventure full of beautiful pixel art and cartoony aesthetics.
Turn-based combat with a twist: there are no turns! All you have is your reflexes and your timing. We call it timing-based combat.
Attack to the beat of the music to chain rhythm combos! Groovy~
Enemies consider you their ally, so you can talk to them!
A wonderful original soundtrack composed by Stijn van Wakeren.
An always evolving HUB world full of characters.
Mini games!
Light puzzle elements.
Some good old platforming.
Fun and intense boss battles!
A satire of RPG tropes.
A story shrouded in mystery…

Rhaknar

Madventure is good people.

That is all.

fallout

Battle Chasers is out, 4gigs, seems to be doing well on the sellers too (kinda surprisingly, not from quality, but from lack of exposure)
Looks neat, but what I really want to know is: Who are these Battle Chasers? What is their involvement in this Nightwar?

So I bought this since it was discounted and since I've been sick for the last few days I got to play it.
This is a fully voice VN of decent length with a good story and wonderful art for 3$. I don't know how you could lose to purchase this unless VNs are not you thing.

header.jpg

I like the first one so much, I went and bought the sequel right after completing it. This is the best praise a can give a game: it made me insta-buy the sequel.
I was afraid that perhaps it could be not as good but after putting 22 hours on it, I can say that it is of equal or higher quality.

As far as content, I'm at 22 hours and there's still one full branch of the story and minor ends I haven't unlocked so it is big for a renpy VN.

One big change is how the story is presented. In the first one you are the protagonist mostly. In the second one, you go from character to character and things are less linear but it works given how the ensemble is presented.
This means that you see a lot less of the main character but it's not so bad because all the others characters are equally good.
I really like the characters. The cast gets pretty big but they all feel unique and relevant. I'm puzzled by how the next sequel will tie all the branch together as far as the characters go (like I figure you would take the heads AND knife since they are all so very vital and interesting - yes, those words are real in-game indicators of characters and it all makes sense)

So yeah, just a little shout out because the devs did some fine work and I'd love for them to get all your moneys.
There's a bundle for everything http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/4736/Book_of_Gray_Magic_Bundle__Soundtrack/

Oo, this looks interesting. Do you know how many parts are planned?

Top Bottom