• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

NeoRaider

Cuphead selling more than 250k copies on Steam in 5 days is really surprising to me. I was expecting this game to sell well, but not like this. These numbers are huge.

So far it's my GOTY together with RiME, Hellblade and What Remains of Edith Finch. Life is Strange: Before the Storm will probably join them but i don't think that we are getting 3rd episode this year. For me Cuphead is one of the best things that happened to gaming in last few years.

Mivey

I'm allowed to make a completely off topic post here on account of this being my GAF chill place right? I'll keep it brief. Just finished Twin Peaks: The Return and that was a trip. Eager to see where they go from here but at least the wait should be less painful than where S2 concluded. I feel both satisfied with where things ended and anticipatory of what's to come, what a rarity.
Does it get easier to watch from Episode 12 onward? I feel like it's starting to drag on. It doesn't help that Lynch likes hold most scenes just a tad too long. I get that this is deliberate, but after a dozen hours, it's starting to bother me a lot.

What year is it?

Sheryl Lee/Laura Palmer's final scream in that scene chilled me to the bone.

"a real trip" is probably the best way to describe The Return. I didn't love it as much as the Original series but it did impress me.
Intruiging show.
The moment Cooper "wakes up" after the slow burn that was everything prior was such a relief and the long standing threads of the season end up mostly resolved. Then we end up with... Richard? Linda? Carrie Page? What year is it?
Man. Mannn.

Twin peaks is anime AF so this is entirely on topic
I have a hard time disagreeing. Steven Universe is also anime AF and there's a legit Steven Universe reference in The Return so it all leads down the same dark path doesn't it.

Does it get easier to watch from Episode 12 onward? I feel like it's starting to drag on. It doesn't help that Lynch likes hold most scenes just a tad too long. I get that this is deliberate, but after a dozen hours, it's starting to bother me a lot.
Yes and no. Things move along and all the pieces are coming into place, but it's still going to have a lot of drawn out slow moments. The last episode especially.

Sarcasm

Have you searched the page for it? You might have registered it to your account before today.

Edit:

Try restarting the client and, if you're using a browser to add the DLC to your account, logging out and then back in.

So I found from the forums a way to get it.

Uninstall the game. Then try to run the free dlc, it tries to install, and it fails.

It adds it to your licenses though.

Whyyyyy, kind of nostalgic of like gaming back in the 90's when you had to tweak everything lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
unless they upgraded the 3D models, textures and such ..

That seems like something that would've been mentioned in the press release.

So I found from the forums a way to get it.

Uninstall the game. Then try to run the free dlc, it tries to install, and it fails.

It adds it to your licenses though.

Whyyyyy, kind of nostalgic of like gaming back in the 90's when you had to tweak everything lol

Strange. Just goes to show that everything has its price. :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm allowed to make a completely off topic post here on account of this being my GAF chill place right? I'll keep it brief. Just finished Twin Peaks: The Return and that was a trip. Eager to see where they go from here but at least the wait should be less painful than where S2 concluded. I feel both satisfied with where things ended and anticipatory of what's to come, what a rarity.

Really loved how almost every subplot ended in unexpected ways, even ones that took half the season to reach.

I move car.

Still thinking about it a lot. Hoping Kyle MacLachlan gets a lot of love for the effort he put into
essentially playing 4 shades of the same character, right down to the spiritually broken 'richard' coop at the end, which had mannerisms from each that he shifted between.

Lynch's style permeates every last minute of the final stretch of episodes, so you're gonna run into some sequences with very Lento pacing. I'd love to say you should keep going, since there's so much you have yet to see, but it really depends on how much you're invested in seeing some of these plot threads tie up (or drop off entirely).

prudislav

So anyone here played Hat in Time?

Seems like only thread about it here only cares some about politics of some youtube personally that done some voicover for it .... but no impressions about the game itself

So anyone here played Hat in Time?

Seems like only thread about it here only cares some about politics of some youtube personally that done some voicover for it .... but no impressions about the game itself

I've played the Beta, it's a fantastic game. I will be going ahead with making the OT for it.

However - please don't belittle others' incredibly valid concerns about the fact that a white supremacist is involved with the game.

New G2A Deal tomorrow. Not sure what any of these games are:

g2adeal8ouc2.jpg

Inb4: Why would you post G2A deals here???

Speaking about numbers, i was bored so i checked steamspy for sales figures for most notable games of September + some old stuff from August.

More than 250k
Divinity: Original Sin 2 - 669,698 ± 23,668

60k-250k
PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2018 - 61,340 ± 7,167
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - 74,046 ± 7,875
NBA 2K18 - 141,519 ± 10,886
Tricolour Lovestory - 174,818 ± 12,099
Heat Signature - 67,255 ± 7,505
Project CARS 2 - 72,293 ± 7,781

10k-50k
GuJian - 38,556 ± 5,683
GuJian2 - 38,118 ± 5,650
Tooth and Tail - 32,422 ± 5,211
Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! - 23,441 ± 4,431
Zup! 6 - 13,801 ± 3,400
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite - 23,879 ± 4,472
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope - 36,585 ± 5,535
Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf - 16,649 ± 3,734
The Coma: Recut - 11,392 ± 3,089
SteamWorld Dig 2 - 16,649 ± 3,734
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony - 25,631 ± 4,633
RAID: World War II - 13,801 ± 3,400
The Guild 3 (Early Access) - 25,412 ± 4,613
Hob - 30,013 ± 5,014
RUINER - 30,232 ± 5,032

Lower than 10k
Songbringer - 5,477 ± 2,141
MONOPOLY® PLUS - 7,229 ± 2,460
Tokyo Dark - 8,763 ± 2,709
NASCAR Heat 2 - 3,067 ± 1,602
Accel World VS. Sword Art Online Deluxe Edition - 7,667 ± 2,534
Vaping Simulator - 4,162 ± 1,867
WRC 7 FIA World Rally Championship - 8,106 ± 2,605
City of Brass (Early Access) - 1,533 ± 1,133
ECHO - 4,820 ± 2,009
Consortium: The Tower (Early Access) - 2,410 ± 1,420
The Journey Down: Chapter Three - 2,848 ± 1,544
The LEGO NINJAGO Movie Video Game - 1,314 ± 1,049
BLUE REFLECTION - 2,410 ± 1,420

Less than 1 week since release date
Killer Instinct - 13,144 ± 3,318
GOKEN - 1,313 ± 1,284
Fall of Light - 2,629 ± 1,484
RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic - 4,381 ± 1,915
Total War: WARHAMMER II - 350,732 ± 17,134
Cuphead - 241,635 ± 14,223

Changes from August (previous sales figures according to Kifimbo):
Life is Strange: Before the Storm - 204,612 ± 13,089 (+ ~110k owners)
Sonic Mania - 107,125 ± 9,472 (+ ~10k)
Absolver - 141,081 ± 10,869 (+ ~50k)
Ys SEVEN - 5,477 ± 2,141 (+ ~2k)
Agents of Mayhem - 29,136 ± 4,940 (- ~8k)
yes, down from 36,934 ± 6,516
Quake Champions - 57,616 ± 6,946 (+ ~19k)
Rock of Ages 2: Bigger & Boulder - 35,489 ± 5,452 (+ ~27k)
Sunless Skies - 12,487 ± 3,234 (+ ~6k)
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - 177,009 ± 12,174 (+ ~12k)
The Escapists 2 - 242,730 ± 14,256 (+ ~82k)
West of Loathing - 101,430 ± 9,216 (+ ~32k)
F1 2017 - 109,316 ± 9,568 (+ ~45k)
Nidhogg 2 - 23,660 ± 4,451 (+ ~2k)
Distrust - 19,716 ± 4,064 (- ~1k)
Tacoma - 16,430 ± 3,709 (+ ~4k)
Rez Infinite - 18,621 ± 3,949 (+ ~6k)
>observer_ - 30,889 ± 5,086 (+ ~1k)
Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar - 5,039 ± 2,054 (- ~300)
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - 23,441 ± 4,431 (+ ~6k)

prudislav

I've played the Beta, it's a fantastic game. I will be going ahead with making the OT for it..
thx for info , was afraid it will be a bit messy like Y-L

IHowever - please don't belittle others' incredibly valid concerns about the fact that a white supremacist is involved with the game.
yeah i get the concerns ... but doing couple lines of VO isnt anything i would call involvement
... maybe i am just pissed that everything must be politicised these days and i just want to enjoy my hobby, there is enough politics on TV and internet and child platformers like this isnt really the place where should i care about politics

yeah i get the concerns ... but doing couple lines of VO isnt anything i would call involvement
... maybe i am just pissed that everything must be politicised these days and i just want to enjoy my hobby, there is enough politics on TV and internet and child platformers like this isnt really the place where should i care about politics

Games do not exist in a vacuum.

Everything is inherently political whether you like it or not.

k0Ypd_s-200x150.gif

MMO publishers see Steam as a platform to give their games a 2nd life.

Second Life coming to Steam confirmed.

But yeah, you're pretty much right. MMO companies try to make it on their own, and when they stagnate they decide that now it's okay to give Valve 30% to keep it going because it's better than ending it all. Part of me thinks "well if they just simultaneously released on Steam in the first place, things would be better for them," but another part argues that Steam users would be quicker to move on and it would be worse for the company overall.

prudislav

Games do not exist in a vacuum.

Everything is inherently political whether you like it or not.
sure in a way especially if its war game or something
but why should i care only about this random youtuber who did just couple lines (aka his involvement in the game is absolutely minimal) and not about political views of other voice talent s?.... and why not care about the actuall developers who made the game ???

Is it because youtubing is cool these days and this guy is known extremiest??

Maybe i am just "countryman" from middle of europe , but this feels way too overblown.... and to be honest makes me sad as i cant wait to play the game with my little cousin and only thing i see about this game is politics

ezodagrom

Agents of Mayhem - 29,136 ± 4,940 (- ~8k)
yes, down from 36,934 ± 6,516
Just a result of Steamspy's variations, today it shows 29k, yesterday it showed 32k, before yesterday it showed 34k, steamspy numbers go up and down all the time due to how uncertain they are, picking a single day and comparing it with a single day from a month before is just not accurate at all.

Grief.exe

Cuphead selling more than 250k copies on Steam in 5 days is really surprising to me. I was expecting this game to sell well, but not like this. These numbers are huge.

So far it's my GOTY together with RiME, Hellblade and What Remains of Edith Finch. Life is Strange: Before the Storm will probably join them but i don't think that we are getting 3rd episode this year. For me Cuphead is one of the best things that happened to gaming in last few years.

The actual sales numbers are even higher than that.

sprinkles

Ys Seven and Trails of Cold Steel numbers disappoint me. I wish Falcom was more popular, I cannot get enough of them.

But maybe Xseed's release rate of Falcom's back catalogue the last 2-3 years was too fast and we have reached saturation.

Knurek

Ys Seven and Trails of Cold Steel numbers disappoint me. I wish Falcom was more popular, I cannot get enough of them.

But maybe Xseed's release rate of Falcom's back catalogue the last 2-3 years was too fast and we have reached saturation.

Ys 7 I grant you, but Trails is a really decent number at launch for a late port. Certainly profitable for XSEED/Falcom.

Arthea

I'm just informing you that this is the year of Falcom, and not having any Falcom game on your goty list will result in your gamer id card revoked, and you can end up in the virtual prison where you'll have to play cheevo spam games for eternity. So think before you do!

Ys 7 I grant you, but Trails is a really decent number at launch for a late port. Certainly profitable for XSEED/Falcom.

so you say those sales are not disappointing?
seriously? are we having this talk again?

Wow @ Marvel vs Capcom Infinte below 25K. It'll be hard to find online matches soon. Good luck if you want those netplay-related cheevos.

Knurek

I'm just informing you that this is the year of Falcom, and not having any Falcom game on your goty list will result in your gamer id card revoked, and you can end up in the virtual prison where you'll have to play cheevo spam games for eternity. So think before you do!

NieR: Automata
Umineko Chiru
Cosmic Star Heroine
VLR

How can one fit Falcom in all of this greatness?

so you say those sales are not disappointing? seriously? are we having this talk again?

One million dollars of revenue (not profit, mind you) from Steam version alone? In what world is that disappointing?

Lain

sure in a way especially if its war game or something
but why should i care only about this random youtuber who did just couple lines (aka his involvement in the game is absolutely minimal) and not about political views of other voice talent s?.... and why not care about the actuall developers who made the game ???

Is it because youtubing is cool these days and this guy is known extremiest??

Maybe i am just "countryman" from middle of europe , but this feels way too overblown.... and to be honest makes me sad as i cant wait to play the game with my little cousin and only thing i see about this game is politics

The main problem with A Hat in Time is that the developer didn't bother to release any kind of statement distancing themselves from the dude (we share no views with youtuber x would go a long way).

At least this isn't a case like that cyberpunk game, in which the disgusting beliefs of the people making it are represented in the actual game scenario/story, so it's somewhat easier to dismiss the disgusting racist voicing some npc as something minor, even if some people go overboard imo (someone in that thread was implying Bernardo is a white supremacist supporter lol).

Knurek

There's a nude mod in progress for Blue Reflection.

Game to become the best selling Kecmo Steam release yet?

Just a result of Steamspy's variations, today it shows 29k, yesterday it showed 32k, before yesterday it showed 34k, steamspy numbers go up and down all the time due to how uncertain they are, picking a single day and comparing it with a single day from a month before is just not accurate at all.
Well, other games have more stable graphs, i think in case of Agents of Mayhem it's not just usual steamspy variations, they probably getting a lot refunds since game still runs like crap on 80% of current market GPU's, i had very inconsistent performances on my GTX 770.

Arthea

NieR: Automata
Umineko Chiru
Cosmic Star Heroine
VLR

How can one fit Falcom in all of this greatness?

betrayalton!
I liked Cosmic Star Heroine well enough, but rating it above Trails 3rd?! no way

Well, ToCS sales are not disappointing, and neither are they exceptional. They are well within expectations.

I'm disappointed, sue me!
my expectation were not that low
and it is a relatively new game, at least compared to other Trails games, so old port argument doesn't really apply, does it?

Careful Knurek. I'd edit that post.

betrayalton!
I liked Cosmic Star Heroine well enough, but rating it above Trails 3rd?! no way

I'm disappointed, sue me!
my expectation were not that low
and it is a relatively new game, at least compared to other Trails games, so old port argument doesn't really apply, does it?

2 years later after PS3/Vita. Late port is important because the Trails audience is fairly limited in West. So you're skipping a lot of them if you have such a wide gap.

Mivey

Iso you say those sales are not disappointing?
seriously? are we having this talk again?
Cold Steel didn't need a two year long translation of a massive script. It was just about getting the PS3 version running on PC. That's still work, but it costs significantly less. Also, since it doesn't have to sell well on PC to justify a PC port (since the future Trails games are coming to PS4 in the west anyway), there really is no reason to fear that XSeed will stop porting them. Even 10K, within a year, is good enough.

Jawmuncher

At this point i'm assuming and port by Xseed is just them future proofing things. PC games have legs if the port is good and a good port also means porting to other platforms is easier/cheaper. Which is better than constantly porting to new consoles with no PC port.

It's essentially what Capcom has been doing this gen with their ports after all.

Battle Chasers is pretty good so far, played 2-3 hours earlier, the art is fantastic, would like a little more VO. The game is pretty easy early on, though you can up the difficulty in the dungeons for better loot.

Arthea

At this point i'm assuming and port by Xseed is just them future proofing things. PC games have legs if the port is good and a good port also means porting to other platforms is easier/cheaper. Which is better than constantly porting to new consoles with no PC port.

It's essentially what Capcom has been doing this gen with their ports after all.

now that makes a whole lot of sense!
I hope that's the case.

Top Bottom