• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Durante

Most of the time when UIs of long-running PC programs are updated and people praise those updates for their usability I find them worse.

(And no, it's not just familiarity -- far too often when applications are updated to be "modern" they lose features. I don't care if most people didn't use those features, I probably did)

Mifec

Most of the time when UIs of long-running PC programs are updated and people praise those updates for their usability I find them worse.

(And no, it's not just familiarity -- far too often when applications are updated to be "modern" they lose features. I don't care if most people didn't use those features, I probably did)

Origin is a perfect example of this. The last UI was fully functional and showed everything you needed per game, the new one is just ughhhhhh

Hektor

UJ9teT2.gif

Anyone knows what's up with that? Seems to be an app-specific issue as i can download other games just fine.

Very strange. It's not meant to be doing that.

Given the supposedly mysterious nature of the game i'm kinda afraid of looking for fixes in the community forums over being spoiled

I mean, yea, the reason the updates upgrade the usability is because all options for experienced users are just hidden away into sub-sub-menues or straight up cut

I find Steam's desktop UI way more usable than XMB, granted I put a lot of digital content on both so if that's considered a misuse of XMB then the problem is Sony deployed it for this purpose. And even BPM's basic functionality is okayish now (I used to consider it a disaster). XMB is comparatively annoying - the times I accidentally switched a different "activity" outnumber the times I wanted to do so by hundreds.

The thing is, Steam has functions that are confusing by itself, not by interface. Like, the trading cards are such a nonsensical thing when you think about it. And that links to the inventory system, which is something that is relegated to games everywhere else. Same with Workshop, really.

Hektor

Oh, i think i found the root of the issue.

All folders of the game's directoy are empty.

Huh.

€: Looked through the first downloaded depot and that actually had files in it, just the successive un- and reinstalled do not.

Recovering the original files gives me this

1apmqYH.png

Knurek

As long as the new version of Steam doesn't drop support for jumplists, I'm okay with everything Valve can try to do with it.
(Only time I see the actual client is when installing/removing titles, rest is done with SteamCon RT on the Steam's taskbar icon and then SteamCon LT to start the actual game)

ShogunX

Finished Scanner Sombre. Took me 94 minutes. I really think its a good experimental game in VR, I cant really see how it would be that good without VR.

There are some areas that wont have a big impact if you play them without VR.

Played some myself but I couldn't help jut thinking why we haven't gotten the equivalent of The Descent yet in game form.

Ascheroth

Hm, I'm thinking of getting a new external hard drive.
What would you guys recommend? I'm thinking of getting a Western Digital, the only question is if I should go for the 130€ 5TB one with power supply or the 30€ more expensive one with 4TB but no power supply.

Vuze

Cool. Another "Steam is shit" thread in Gaming.

Wonder how so many people think Steam is unintiutive (which it sometimes is), but could easily use the PS3 menu.

maxresdefault.jpg
PS3 XMB is easily superior to the mess that is Vita bubble mix and PS4 chaos. That being said, Steam is definitely overwhelming like most other services/websites that have grown massively over the years. Best example I can think of is eBay and YouTube. The latter has massively improved lately in terms of consistency though. Perhaps a Steam overhaul is coming with the new client.

Hektor

Tried to download the game from India, didn't work either.

Crazy that i got fullspeed tho

Hm, I'm thinking of getting a new external hard drive.
What would you guys recommend? I'm thinking of getting a Western Digital, the only question is if I should go for the 130€ 5TB one with power supply or the 30€ more expensive one with 4TB but no power supply.

I'd always take the one without power supply. It's much more comfortable to use.

I pretty much always carry a 1TB WD HD with me when i'm at work, it's so thin that it fits into every pocket.

Nzyme32

@JShackles

Maybe a bug in Enhanced Steam - I tried to empty my wishlist and it seems Enhanced Steam can't remove games that are no longer available on Steam / Delisted, whether you use the empty wishlist function or individually remove. So the only way to remove these games is to go into the Steam Client and remove them. I didn't try disabling Enhance Steam to see if this was also the case.

MadGear

Action Henk has been fun but I just can't make it past Cedar's challenge. For some reason I can't get the walljumps at the end of the track right. I always need 2 more jumps than I should which results in me to losing the race ... I guess I actually have to give up on this one.

Oh well, onto some more Momodora followed by ROTR. I'm getting busy thanks to the kind folks here.

Edit: Of course I end up beating Cedar when I was just about to give up :D

Lain

I just dont get what people want to do. If they just wanna start a game or go to settings, thats really easy.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with that. I took a look at that thread and I disagree with what the OP was calling not intuitive about Steam.

My layout issues with Steam are more in regard to the store pages and where various information are placed on there. I do have an issue with the DLC box in the library, because DLCs with long names have those names cut off at some point.

The XMB is still an UI I love. The Vita UI, that's a real non intuitive mess as far as I'm concerned. So much messy stuff in regards to Vita too, like the region tied to mem cards.

Dinjoralo

Well, yeah... But Steam's default interface is full of all kinds of stupid. I'm really thankful Metro for Steam exists, btw.

Dec

I have always used Steam's default skin and never even wanted anything else. The stuff in that image is superficial nothingness.

Yeah, regular Steam is all sorts of stupid. Metro is great, my only issue being that it doesn't have the dedicated BPM launch button that the default skin has (or used to have).

I also like the BPM library tab, way more useful than any of the regular Steam library views, and quite nice-looking, too.

Tizoc

Bundlestar is sending out Shadow of War keys.
Time to preload~
Praise Crom for the No Bandwidth lyyyyyyfe~

Ascheroth

Played an hour of that Doki Doki Literature Club game and I don't think I'm a fan of visual novels. There were almost no choices for dialogues and no voice overs so all I was doing was pressing a button to advance to text. At the end of the "day" you get to choose some words for your poem but at the end of the 2nd day, the same words were presented, only in random order! I'll try a bit more but howlongtobeat says its a 6+ hour game so I don't know if I can manage that lol.
Actually, you should probably continue.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Playing RiMe with Metallica in the background is a strange experience.

Went back to search for collectibles I might have missed, but I soon changed my mind. This is more of a "one and done" kinda game for me.

Quite happy I listened to my gut and bought the game. Wouldn't have payed full-price but the fifteen bucks on cdkeys felt right. It's really different then what I thought it would be, less open-ended exploration. The Island
and other places
does feel enormous, so that's an accomplishment.

Terrific soundtrack.

The technical difficulties did spoil some of my enjoyment. It's a stuttering mess at times, especially during the third chapter, even though RivaTuner said it was a rock solid 60 fps. Messing around with the settings didn't change anything either.

Anyway, time to delve into Hollow Knight. :)

MUnited83

For you.
Played an hour of that Doki Doki Literature Club game and I don't think I'm a fan of visual novels. There were almost no choices for dialogues and no voice overs so all I was doing was pressing a button to advance to text. At the end of the "day" you get to choose some words for your poem but at the end of the 2nd day, the same words were presented, only in random order! I'll try a bit more but howlongtobeat says its a 6+ hour game so I don't know if I can manage that lol.
Definitely keep going.
I dont know why people always play horrible VNs to try to get into that genre.

I remember someone here wanted to get into that by playing the Sakura Games.

You should play Doki Doki Literature Club. I'll say that much.

Hektor

The fuck is this game

Playing RiMe with Metallica in the background is a strange experience.

You know, Rimeboy, we really are the unforgiven (Part 2)

started playing nier:automata yesterday, had been really hyped honestly but so far I'm not that impressed :(

What's the matter

Did you got message that they need to check exe file within 1h ?

Nope, got no message at all. I just randomly stumbled upon the fact more or less

Ascheroth

I'd always take the one without power supply. It's much more comfortable to use.

I pretty much always carry a 1TB WD HD with me when i'm at work, it's so thin that it fits into every pocket.
Good point, but I mainly intend to use it for storage and not that much carrying around, so I think I'm going with the 5TB one.
I'd probably buy a sperate 1TB one for those uses.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Despite the occasional stutters in the 60 fps mode for The Evil Within, it's a fantastic improvement over the original 30 fps cap. The game still looks great too most of the time.

Mifec

That, Artgerm or Sakimichan

The story is definitely gonna pick up, it'll just take some time.

The combat thought, if you don't enjoy it yet, it probably won't get better for you

Artgerm has some really nice DOTA art. Sakimichan's art is soulless :^)

Despite the occasional stutters in the 60 fps mode for The Evil Within, it's a fantastic improvement over the original 30 fps cap. The game still looks great too most of the time.

The patch that came out for that game had one of the crazies improvements I ever saw. Up to 20+ fps on higher tier(at the time) cards.

Top Bottom