• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Is there any indication as to when the next LIS: Before the Storm episode is coming? Are we expecting the series to be completed this year?

Mifec

The only thing soullless here are your dark souls characters

life_is_strange__together__by_sakimichan-d9okm1i.jpg

I've yet to play LiS so that pic does nothing for me.

Chloe's face also looks like a lot of other faces he draws.

Uzzy

Is there any indication as to when the next LIS: Before the Storm episode is coming? Are we expecting the series to be completed this year?

No indication yet. It's possible that the series could be completed this year, but at this rate I'd not be surprised if Episode 3 came out very late in the year, or early next year.

started playing nier:automata yesterday, had been really hyped honestly but so far I'm not that impressed :(

I think you gotta be into the story, cuz man that gameplay is just not that fun. Huge upgrade from the first Nier but still just too weeabish for me I guess.

gelf

The big thing with Steam's default interface for me is just how much space is wasted. Especially with that damn bottom-bezel.
I wouldn't get your hopes up there. Seems to me that modern UI design tends towards having more wasted space rather then less because it looks "clean".

jediyoshi

Cashed in my bitcoin to fund the rest of my Vive purchase, just realized there's a week delay before payout on my exchange RIP

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wouldn't get your hopes up there. Seems to me that modern UI design tends towards having more wasted space rather then less because it looks "clean".

I'm cautiously optimistic that the new client won't be a downgrade. A big reason revamped UIs tend to suck is that the goal was to hit two birds with one stone (click-oriented and touch-oriented), which isn't something Valve needs to concern itself with.

Monooboe

Man, Hollow Knight is such a gorgeous game. I know I am super late to the party haha, but yeah I know why you guys were so lyrical about it.

dot

my steam client has been chugging pretty bad for the past 2 days

literally can't do anything besides use the library :(

gaben pls

Parsnip

So I won Gat Out of Hell from SunDimension24's giveaway but it's region restricted, what's the word on if I can redeem it with a VPN or something or should I just pass it on to someone else? Activation locked, runtime locked?
Halp.
Quoting myself.

I bet JaseC knows the answer.

So, loot boxes. What...is the deal...with that?
Since the advent of gaming, loot has been hunted to near-extinction and is now under the protection of corporations. Under their watchful eye, loot hunting is strictly regulated to prevent the complete extermination of all loot species.

In their infinite wisdom, the corporations decided to use a random lotto method for assigning loot, to assure equality between all gamers and prevent black market hunting from dwindling the remaining stocks.

To understand how dire loot hunting had gotten before this practice, take a look at a game from only a few years ago:
Marvel Heroes:
65h06id.jpg

(Believe it.)
It is precisely this sort of sick, grotesquely opulent overhunting that led to the loot extinction in the first place.

Nowadays, it is carefully controlled and regulated, such as in the hit Blizzard game:
Overwatch:
o2.jpg

(Jimquisition is one of the top results for "overwatch loot result". Whoda thunk.)
Little-known fact: Overwatch was originally an MMO, but the loot shortage made ethical development impossible, and thus the Overwatch shooter we know was born.

Hopefully through diligent use of loot boxes, we can bring loot back to healthy levels, never to commit such a mistake again.

-
I hope this illucidates the situation.

Dec

To understand how dire loot hunting had gotten before this practice, take a look at a game from only a few years ago:
Marvel Heroes:

Yo that's all literal garbage and would be eaten by your pet immediately and you would never see or pick up any of that.

oni-link

Most of the time when UIs of long-running PC programs are updated and people praise those updates for their usability I find them worse.

(And no, it's not just familiarity -- far too often when applications are updated to be "modern" they lose features. I don't care if most people didn't use those features, I probably did)

I just don't like change for the sake of change

YouTube, while not exactly a PC program, is the absolute worst for this

It feels like they arbitrarily change shit around every few months, it's almost never better, it's just different

I'm an ESO noob and never bought anything from cdkeys, so sorry if this is a stupid question: if I buy ESO Tamriel Unlimited through cdkeys, will I be able to redeem it on Steam? Also, is there any reason why I should play this on Steam?

Just had a Ticket to Ride booster drop so I'm gonna be swimming in Steam bux soon.

I'm an ESO noob and never bought anything from cdkeys, so sorry if this is a stupid question: if I buy ESO Tamriel Unlimited through cdkeys, will I be able to redeem it on Steam? Also, is there any reason why I should play this on Steam?

No, I don't think you'll get a Steam key from anywhere else. The only reason to have it in Steam would be if you wanted to use Steam Wallet to buy the microtransaction currency or pay for a subscription. I used the Humble Monthly key to have it on Steam thinking it would help to have Steam downloaded updates but I still had to spend about an hour downloading and updating in the the ESO client after installing on Steam.

I was also hoping to get the Crowns it says it comes with but I did not seen to have them added to my account.

Nzyme32

Well... there goes my Wallet...

I am now a Coffee Lake i5-8600K guy with a Z370 itx mobo... now to wait for the next set of Graphics cards!

Well... there goes my Wallet...

I am now a Coffee Lake i5-8600K guy with a Z370 itx mobo... now to wait for the next set of Graphics cards!

I want the 8600k or the 8700k... but I just moved and have no cash, so there you have it. I will hold tight until next year. Debating on trading my 1070 for a 1070ti as well, if that's a thing.

No, I don't think you'll get a Steam key from anywhere else. The only reason to have it in Steam would be if you wanted to use Steam Wallet to buy the microtransaction currency or pay for a subscription. I used the key to have it on Steam thinking it would help to have Steam downloaded updates but I still had to spend about an hour downloading and updating in the the ESO client after installing on Steam.

Thanks, I think I'll get it. I'll play this veeeeery slooooowly, so I'll probably never dive into microtransactions and DLCs anyway ^_^

Dec

If you don't have the steam version you can't buy crowns with steam wallet funds.

Also the game can auto sign in if launched from Steam, but the stand alone launcher you must type a password every time (or paste).

I'm not sure what type of code cdkeys sells.

I was also hoping to get the Crowns it says it comes with but I did not seen to have them added to my account.

The ESO+, pet and crowns are a separate code that goes in your account code redemption page at the official website.

The ESO+, pet and crowns are a separate code that goes in your account code redemption page at the official website.

Ah, I'd seen the code but it only listed the pet and 15 days of plus so I thought the Crowns were with the base game like when I got the game on Bundlestars.

Yo that's all literal garbage and would be eaten by your pet immediately and you would never see or pick up any of that.

You're not wrong... but MH has always been such a festival of excess that I felt compelled to use it.

In the same spirit, perhaps I should've made the Overwatch one more like this:
Because that's really what it feels like sometimes.

Loot boxes are the worst.

So, loot boxes. What...is the deal...with that?

It's a charity drive for those poor poor beleaguered AAA publishers, who are all on the brink of going under. We cannot expect them to feed their children on just $60 launch prices, DLC programs and other microtransactions, so we all decided at built in lotteries in our games is the way forward, to ensure that we all can continue to live in gaming harmony.

Jawmuncher

Only complaint I have with loot boxes are when they go overboard. Here’s 20 different boxes you can buy that have all these different things you can get.

I like overwatches system just because it’s simple. One box with a few difffent items and chances.

Dec

You're not wrong... but MH has always been such a festival of excess that I felt compelled to use it.

Oh ya, mine was a bad post. I don't intend to argue your point at all, I just see Marvel Heroes in an unexpected thread and feel compelled to comment on it because I've wasted so much time to it.

It's the MH devs that made health and mana orbs AI entities, made all of Squirrel Girls squirrels have a complex amount of articulating limbs and dropped metric tons of crap on the ground then scaled it all back when performance suffered massively.

What a delicious (often enjoyable) shit show that game was.

Hektor

Only complaint I have with loot boxes are when they go overboard. Here’s 20 different boxes you can buy that have all these different things you can get.

I like overwatches system just because it’s simple. One box with a few difffent items and chances.

You gonna love Dotka

zVIWbMq.png

Nzyme32

I want the 8600k or the 8700k... but I just moved and have no cash, so there you have it. I will hold tight until next year. Debating on trading my 1070 for a 1070ti as well, if that's a thing.

I hear that, exact same situation - but my mobo is partially broken and Amazon are giving me a full refund after a year of owning it since it is defective. I feel like sticking with z170 will not have as much resale value, so decided to make the jump. In total once the old CPU and mobo are sold, the total extra is £120

Most of the time when UIs of long-running PC programs are updated and people praise those updates for their usability I find them worse.

(And no, it's not just familiarity -- far too often when applications are updated to be "modern" they lose features. I don't care if most people didn't use those features, I probably did)

I am sure I have said this before - but holy shit at Samsung's SSD "Magician" software in this regards. Lets compare:

Version 4.97 - Awesome, loads of features and utility, very dependable
FeGj3aw.png

Version 5.0 -
At first glance, we can see that the layout has changed quite a bit and more surprisingly, rather than additional features, Magician 5.0 is more streamlined with fewer features than the previous versions. The OS Optimization, Over Provisioning, and Data Security tabs/features have been taken out. Additionally, the Performance Optimization section as well, unless you have a Samsung 840 or 840 EVO series SSD.

Samsung-Magician-PCIe.png

I hate this!

Top Bottom