• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Tizoc

DLoB5PKX0AE49eG

Jshackles, post if you're O-ooooooooooooooooooooooooo baby

phyEmBp.jpg

<3

Nzyme32

Not bad, I wish I was in a similar spot (my ASRock 3.0 ports stopped working, but my 3570k is still holding out so I haven't bothered to upgrade yet).

2018 will probs be my upgrade year after I get back on my feet and situated here.

Mine is just the bluetooth controller, but it is enough of a nuisance that I wanted to get it repaired or get a replacement, particularly when the ability to resell is important to me and I use bluetooth audio and device so frequently I can barely function without it.

Was not expecting to be given the option of a full refund. But now I'm looking at what a more long term up to date machine could be, so I think I'm pretty much set with those upgrades. Already on quite fast DDR4 RAM and just need to get whatever new Graphics Card seems worthwhile and probably a new SSD sooner or later

Phawx

I can't seem to find it, but there was a $10 off thing for humble monthly ending on Oct 10th.

Anyone know this?

I can't seem to find it, but there was a $10 off thing for humble monthly ending on Oct 10th.

Anyone know this?

It was $10 added to your Humble wallet if you subscribe for a year. Not strictly the same as $10 off :p

The promo ended when this month's bundle went live on Friday.

Phawx

It was $10 added to your Humble wallet if you subscribe for a year. Not strictly the same as $10 off :p

The promo ended when this month's bundle went live on Friday.

Ah that was it.

Ah well.

You got $10 of Humble Store credit for buying a year's sub, but I think it's expired now.

Thanks for the updates fellas!

Kind of wish I acted on this previously. As it would have been this month was freeish and I don't really want to go in on it with the preview games shown :/

Are these Steam codes? nm: They are steam keys. hmm :/

illusionary

Steam.png

Reaching double figures has to be a decent milestone, I reckon!

Seeing the discussion above re Metro/Pixelvision has me intrigued... I've never looked into skinning Steam previously, but might be interested in doing so. I'll have to take a look into these two.

Are these Steam codes?
Yes, Steam codes.

I think there's something wrong with my Warframe account.

It's an old one and I played it for a little bit back in 2013 or so. When I started yesterday, my progress is restarted from scratch (which is fine) and I chose Volt as my frame. But after I passed the tutorial, my frame changed to Loki instead. Was it supposed to be like that? The Chosen frame is only for the tutorial? Or was it due to my old account? Perhaps I chose Loki as a starter frame back then, I don't really remember.

Anyway, I searched for an OT and found out that Warframe is way more popular on PS4 here compared to PC, interestingly.

6Hakr1r.png

I'm trying to get back into Warframe but the user experience is so incredibly opaque that I'm having a lot of trouble with it. This has always been a problem that the developers have been unable to solve.

I first played the game a few years ago and I couldn't make much sense of the game systems by myself. A friend who had already put in a lot of time into the game taught me how to play and how everything worked. Then I got hooked and played it for over 300 hours before taking a break.

Since then the developers have changed everything from the main menu to many of the game systems and even as a 300 hour veteran I have almost no clue what is happening when I log in to the game now. This is the second time the 'new player' experience is stumping me. I understand that a F2P game like this needs to constantly evolve and add content but man they could have done a better job explaining what is going on.

To be fair, the developers have added a full tutorial mission that is mandatory for everyone (old or new) but that mission only tells you maybe 20% of what the game is. I think they have stopped caring about making the game more accessible because of the tremendous growth they have seen over the years.

Accoun

So, there's no Guitar Hero Live on PC. What does the community do?
Mod it into GH3, because why the hell not.
UKOGmonkey got early access to the mod and is even trying to FC TTFAF (98% right now).
This is just amazing. I know people don't really like that game in general, but just porting it is simply amazing.

[EDIT]
Oh, apparently it's not GH3 - just an engine clone. My bad. Still interesting.

Mine is just the bluetooth controller, but it is enough of a nuisance that I wanted to get it repaired or get a replacement, particularly when the ability to resell is important to me and I use bluetooth audio and device so frequently I can barely function without it.

Was not expecting to be given the option of a full refund. But now I'm looking at what a more long term up to date machine could be, so I think I'm pretty much set with those upgrades. Already on quite fast DDR4 RAM and just need to get whatever new Graphics Card seems worthwhile and probably a new SSD sooner or later

I still need DDR4 and an SSD bigger than 128gb lol

oh and the Guitar Hero news above reminds me of the Rock Band 4 PC fiasco. Sigh.

I think there's something wrong with my Warframe account.

It's an old one and I played it for a little bit back in 2013 or so. When I started yesterday, my progress is restarted from scratch (which is fine) and I chose Volt as my frame. But after I passed the tutorial, my frame changed to Loki instead. Was it supposed to be like that? The Chosen frame is only for the tutorial? Or was it due to my old account? Perhaps I chose Loki as a starter frame back then, I don't really remember.

Anyway, I searched for an OT and found out that Warframe is way more popular on PS4 here compared to PC, interestingly.

6Hakr1r.png
Yeah I believe it goes back to Loki and you have to build up the frame from scratch, one of those have a taste of of the higher class stuff so you can work towards getting it again.

The PS4 thread is probably more popular because Warframe was a launch title for the PS4 and had more activity due to launch excitement and being free to play.

zkylon

zkylewd
VrPWR4f.png

so, prey

i kind of liked prey in the end, i think it managed to communicate some of its themes fairly effectively (despite that trainwreck of an ending), and it had a few clever mechanics that were really satisfying to engage with and would like to see more of.

the beginning bits with the mimics i think is definitely my favorite part in the game, if there's one mechanic in the game that bears remembering it's gonna be that one, but also other stuff like using the gloo gun to build platforms to jump on or sneaking through cracks in the walls by transforming into small objects also feels really fun to do pretty much every time.

sadly, the rest of the game is really bogged down by a ton of maintenance busywork, errand running and repetitive hacking/repairing/scavenging gameplay that is just kind of mind numbing. at some point the game just runs out of tricks and loses all momentum as you backtrack and do the same thing over and over again, and then it does it again throwing annoying robot enemies at you on top

enemy design in general is a problem in the game, in that outside of mimics, most enemies in the game are really unfun to fight and even after unlocking most powers i found myself just shotgunning them in the chest

finally one thing that was a super pleasant surprise is the music, which generally goes kind of understated but sometimes they'll just play it real loud and idk it just feels great. design wise the whole place looks really great, the art deco shit that just looks like they were trying to do rapture in space is pretty gorgeous, even if half the game is spent in less elegant places like maintenance rooms and offices and shit

but yeah, prey is a weird game, it's got heart but i think it really falls short of being something special and i think it's dragged down by systems clutter and filler content, unfortunately in expense of a more swift and polished story conclusion

edit: i feel like lately i'm coming out of games feeling too ambivalent

Fanart is, the gameplay not so much.I tried getting back into it after I left it for dota but I just can't. Also whoever ok-ed the Xayah VA should be fired.
i wish people came up with other ways to express their discontent about details in videogames

like i'm not a fan of xayah's vo either, but asking for people to get fired for it sounds like much to me...

Teppic

Completed The Count Lucanor. Great game. It was just the right kind of weird game I like. Plays like a mix between Zelda like puzzles, point and click puzzles and horror hide and seek. I'm not normally a fan of the latter, but enemies are pretty easy to avvoid and you also have a health bar and food items to use if you take damage. Nicely weird characters and the story held my interest until the end. Pretty short. Took me 4 hours to complete. Has different choices you can make. Well worth the $1 I paid for it on Humble.

zkylon

zkylewd
Completed The Count Lucanor. Great game. It was just the right kind of weird game I like. Plays like a mix between Zelda like puzzles, point and click puzzles and horror hide and seek. I'm not normally a fan of the latter, but enemies are pretty easy to avvoid and you also have a health bar and food items to use if you take damage. Nicely weird characters and the story held my interest until the end. Pretty short. Took me 4 hours to complete. Has different choices you can make. Well worth the $1 I paid for it on Humble.

that sounds like something i might be into

gonna install

edit: shit i could've sworn i owned this game already

Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians.
Turkey schnitzel, yum yum.

Damn, people were right, Steamworld Dig is a really cool game.
It's been something I've overlooked but the buzz around 2 has me thinking I should play it.

I excitedly went to wishlist it only to notice it's already been wishlisted... since March?!

Top Bottom