• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
From what I've gathered, RE5 is much better played co-op, I need to pester my lame brother so we can co-op it on PS3 or something one day, since he's an RE vertern.

RE5's co-op AI is next to useless due to the high maintenance that comes with a partner that shoots willy-nilly. I distinctly recall one GAFer being adament that Sheva's aim actually improves if you indulge her requests for ammo, but from what I've seen it's not true in the slightest.

zkylon

zkylewd
you're supposed to give sheva half your guns and half your ammo and make sure they don't match so she doesn't blow through them

that's emergent gameplay right there

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Dusk Golem: how is Pineview Drive and is it worth playing the prequel beforehand? I believe it's called Passing Pineview Forest..
It was in a bundle a little bit ago, likely will again sometime soon. As for my opinion, how interested are you in a haunted house simulator? That's basically what Pineview Drive is, it starts off kind of dull and ends up a bit repetitive, but it has some good stuff in the middle.

Here was the review I wrote for it on Steam:

Pineview Drive is an indie haunted house simulator with relatively simple gameplay. Over the span of 30 days, you try and find clues to what happened to your wife, Linda, who disappeared without a trace at an old abandoned estate 20 years ago, for your own closure. To accomplish this you must look around the house, find keys, open doors, and experience a variety of scares and spooks.

And let me restate this point: This game is a haunted house simulator. It's with these expectations that I think the game is best experienced. It's done in a similar vein to the Ju-On The Curse game or the Haunted House mode in the Fatal Frame 2 Wii Remake. Nothing is coming to attack you, there is no hiding mechanic, no enemies to shoot and kill. Your character is slow, can't jump, and gameplay consists of looking for keys/matches/batteries/notes/locked doors, and experiencing events.

On this accord, it does some smart things. Your character does have health even though you're not attacked directly, the health instead is basically responsive to how you react when 'scared' When a scare happens, if you do something with your controls, IE starts shaking your mouse around or suddenly start running or stop running or stop altogether, basically changing the pace of movement you were doing when the scare happens, you'll lose health. How much health you lose is accordant to how extreme/timely your reaction is. This also is all monitored to take note of what you react strongly too and don't and stores that information away to change some minor events. It works well for the most part, though I noticed the game seemingly thinking I was scared of certain events that didn't scare me.

And in my opinion the game works, mainly due to the fact the atmosphere of the game is good and some of the scares did legitimately scare the crap out of me. Scares are subjective, but most games don't scare me, so when one game manages to scare me a few times over the course of the game, I take notice. The atmosphere helps a lot towards this, the rooms look appropriately creepy, the music has good variety and can be good to make you unnerved, along with the type of music you sometimes question if the music is the background music or something happening. The game starts off rather slow with little happening, but escalates as the days go on.

Some scares and moments are obviously inspired by other things however. They're still effective, but can take away from the moment if you recognize the scare's obvious inspiration. Without spoiling too much, there were two scenes that were very obviously inspired by the film, "Ringu", and the game, "Condemned: Criminal Origins." And not all scares were winners, many either left me unphased and some were a bit silly.

On the flip-side, there was some very unique scares in places and some were handled well, and there's a good variety. There's even a few scares and entities that are randomized and can happen anywhere later in the game as you're exploring. Special mention from me goes to a certain clown and scarecrow...

But the game is bogged down by a few problems. Firstly, it's very dark. I had to turn brightness all the way up and it was still super dark. This would be fine, but you don't get your flashlight until a bit into the game, and I found myself stumbling through the dark for a while before I eventually found it. A second flaw is that while new elements get added in scares and the like, the gameplay remains mostly the same, making the later parts sometimes feel rather tedious. On this, in some of the later areas when a lot of the estate is opened up to you, sometimes there's very little indication of where you're supposed to go, leading you to randomly scout rooms to see if you spot any keys or if any events trigger. Spend too long searching, and your character will eventually tell you where to go, but it seems disappointing and not well designed especially since the game at some points does an excellent job at leading you to specific parts of the house with cues, sounds, and graphical things.

Also the last area of the game and the ending are slightly confusing and come out of left field, and I found the last area ended up being kind of trial and error with getting past it as it's a bit too harsh on your health and scares to get through all of it.

Still, it turned out better than I expected and I enjoyed playing it. It reminded me of a game version of those horror movies about characters stupidly staying at an obviously haunted house that gets worse as time goes on. Some good atmosphere and scares steal the show here, even if not all moments are winners. It's held back by a few problems, but if you want a haunted house simulator to play through, this is a pretty solid effort.

JaseC

you're supposed to give sheva half your guns and half your ammo and make sure they don't match so she doesn't blow through them

that's emergent gameplay right there

She does regardless. That's the problem. ;)

RE5's co-op AI is next to useless due to the high maintenance that comes with a partner that shoots willy-nilly. I distinctly recall one GAFer being adament that Sheva's aim actually improves if you indulge her requests for ammo, but from what I've seen it's not true in the slightest.
Isn't Sheva crap with everything except the bow(which from what I hear, makes her crazy OP)

wait how does that work

iirc if you like give her a machinegun and shotgun shells she shouldn't be able to waste either
Like the Army of Two guy?
4MqHr6u.jpg

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
All I will say on RE5 for now is that if you liked the main game well enough, the Gold Edition content is a treat. The added costumes are pretty nice (Fairytale Sheva = Best Sheva), but that's just the tip of it. Mercenaries Reunion is the best form of Mercenaries in RE5, it changes the enemy variety and spawns, making it much more challenging, but balanced it out with cooler and more varied and powerful characters, making it a much more fun ride for me.

With this, Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Struggle are two of my favorite chapters in RE5. They responded to criticisms of te main game nicely, and these two stages are pretty replayable due to a number of randomized elements that makes them enjoyable and surprising even if you've played it once or twice.

Lost in Nightmares is the obvious darling, bringing more atmosphere than the rest of the main game combined and RE nostalgia with some well designed level segments and fun encounters and traps. It's co-op horror actually done right, and a bit of a shame that, in my humble opinion, RE6 didn't match this at all in being a horror co-op game. A lot would be happy of they could make a whole RE game in the style of Lost in Nightmares.

I feel the praise for Desperate Struggle is a little unsung, though. It's a pure action chapter, yes, but I feel they really mastered the tension and struggle segments of the most tense and challenging fights of the main game and made a chapter you really have to plan and work with your partner to fight and survive. If you enjoyed the fights in RE5 where you had to mix-up gunplay and strategy with your teammate in harsh conditions, you'll love this.

BHK3

Banned
I actually never had a problem with sheevas AI :/ I was expecting the worst thing ever with her but she hit her shots didn't waste ammo much but did get caught out a little too much.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
RE5 is a lot of fun with a co-op partner, and not just in the "co-op makes everything better" way. It might be annoying to deal with when you don't have a second player on hand, but it really was designed to work best with two humans at the wheel. Wasn't perfect, but hardly anything ever is.

JaseC

Got a vita now and damn... Seeing prices of 40€ for the games I want make me sell it already...

Do they have sales often enough?

PSN sales are a lot better than they were just a couple of years ago, I've noticed... although 75% off and such are rare unless you have the bonus PS+ discount.

_hekk05

Banned
Got a vita now and damn... Seeing prices of 40€ for the games I want make me sell it already...

Just recently we had good discounts on disgaea 4, p4g, danganronpa 2 and a bunch of indies

We currently have a good discount on nepnep rebirth 1 and Guilty Gear Xrd

Still waiting for the ever elusive atelier sale (scuttlebutt is Golden Week sale)

also US PSN is definitely the way to go

Just recently we had good discounts on disgaea 4, p4g, danganronpa 2 and a bunch of indies

We currently have a good discount on nepnep rebirth 1 and Guilty Gear Xrd

Still waiting for the ever elusive atelier sale

also US PSN is definitely the way to go

So. Can I have two PSN accounts on my Vita? I used the EU one for the megapack games.

And damn for missing that sale.

Can anyone help an Asian bro with that Nuuvem Injustice deal? I should have atleast money for that (if the event organizer didn't depleted my bank T_T)
``````````````````````````````````````````````````

_hekk05

Banned
So. Can I have two PSN accounts on my Vita? I used the EU one for the megapack games.

You can only have 1 account per mem card, and you have to reset everytime you want to swap. There is no better option right now, unless the Vita hack scene improves by leaps and bounds and manages to bring us a hail mary. Scuttlebutt is the Vita is currently more secure than the PS4. It'll also most likely be limited to firmwares 3.18 and below.

Honestly I feel like just selling my megapack code. Haven't activated it yet

Can anyone help an Asian bro with that Nuuvem Injustice deal? I should have atleast money for that (if the event organizer didn't depleted my bank T_T)
``````````````````````````````````````````````````

Use a VPN like hola unblocker and google translate. I'm an asianbro and I buy from Nuuvem all the time

wilflare

You can only have 1 account per mem card, and you have to reset everytime you want to swap. There is no better option right now, unless the Vita hack scene improves by leaps and bounds and manages to bring us a hail mary. Scuttlebutt is the Vita is currently more secure than the PS4. It'll also most likely be limited to firmwares 3.18 and below.

Honestly I feel like just selling my megapack code. Haven't activated it yet

just sell it. haha those games will be cheap on NA PSN/free with PS+ if you've been collecting I think

_hekk05

Banned
just sell it. haha those games will be cheap on NA PSN/free with PS+ if you've been collecting I think

No PS+ yet lol

I don't play enough to justify the *free* games, and I don't have many online games. I guess the free PvZ and Dying Light?

When bloodborne comes maybe I'll shell out some cash for online

Pandemic

Is anyone from the US willing to send me GTA V via Steam as a gift? I'll send a payment in return via PayPal.

It'd save me $25 since the exchange rate to the Aussie dollar is terrible...

Cheers.

That sucks. Though I guess maybe I do that. How much is a 64g memcard for the Vita now?

wilflare

100+ from bloodsuckers, 89 from amazon, 86 from the awesome shop I frequent.

prices in USD and new

you can get used for cheaper but do you trust those?

lol what's this awesome shop?

@Chair
you can try
nippon-yasan
or superufo.com

VitaGAF uses these sites to buy their memory cards

Use a VPN like hola unblocker and google translate. I'm an asianbro and I buy from Nuuvem all the time
Hola doesn't work for me, strange.
If Hola doesn't work, try FlyVPN. Hola doesn't play nicely with Nuuvem for some people.
Yeah, I was able to register thanks to FlyVPN. But I already got someone to help me up. Thanks you know who you are ;)
@Chair
you can try
nippon-yasan
or superufo.com
I can vouch for these two. Got a 64gb MMC + some games before through them. Play-Asia was good before, but its pricey and the shipping option is a bit slow to my liking.

Tizoc

We have a sale going on NOW on US PSN. Seriously make a US PSN account for your Vita.
If you're using an EU account switch to a US one.
Also get a 64 GB in the near future.

Once you got a US account just check out the stuff on sale as most of it is really good.

Also get Brandish for $20, it's a new release and is a great adventure/dungeon crawler game.

I've heard people say that too.
I have no friends*, though.

I was gonna make a joke about it, but felt it rude =X

_hekk05

Banned
lol what's this awesome shop?

@Chair
you can try
nippon-yasan
or superufo.com

Its a local retailer. Literally takes 40 minutes by public transportation. If something goes wrong with my order I can literally go there and swap on the spot. No waiting for shipping or anything. Life's good.

Prices on those sites are legit, but shipping costs usually brings it equal or above the prices I currently enjoy.

Holy shit...
They seem expensive...

I am in China, so maybe they are cheaper here?

Local retailers, or you can visit Hong Kong or Taiwan to buy them. Probably can get those cheapest there (you're in China so beware of fakes, but I'm sure you know that by now). SuperUFO is based in HK so maybe its cheaper but shipping video game things to China is always an uncertainty

So I am finally getting around to Metal Gear Rising Revengence. I have the settings in the game set to 1080p, Nvidia Experiance setting set to 1080p, yet when I actually launch the game, my projector changes from 1080p (native resolution and desktop resolution) to 720p... Anyone have any idea why this is happening/ how to resolve? Even in game it says it's set to 1080p but it clearly is running at 720p and even the Nvidia Shadowplay is showing it at 720 because the frames counter is at the 720 resolution.

Ozium

It was in a bundle a little bit ago, likely will again sometime soon. As for my opinion, how interested are you in a haunted house simulator? That's basically what Pineview Drive is, it starts off kind of dull and ends up a bit repetitive, but it has some good stuff in the middle.

Here was the review I wrote for it on Steam:

Yeah I got it in a bundle but I had wishlisted it when it first came out because it seemed interesting, seems like something that I can wait on until Halloween rolls around and I need some fodder...

wilflare

Its a local retailer. Literally takes 40 minutes by public transportation. If something goes wrong with my order I can literally go there and swap on the spot. No waiting for shipping or anything. Life's good.

Prices on those sites are legit, but shipping costs usually brings it equal or above the prices I currently enjoy.

Local retailers, or you can visit Hong Kong or Taiwan to buy them. Probably can get those cheapest there (you're in China so beware of fakes, but I'm sure you know that by now). SuperUFO is based in HK so maybe its cheaper but shipping video game things to China is always an uncertainty

haha are you referring to Qisahn or Gamescore or Zepygames :p

@Chair - I could possibly buy and ship it to you if you need help too

_hekk05

Banned
haha are you referring to Qisahn or Gamescore or Zepygames :p

@Chair - I could possibly buy and ship it to you if you need help too

qisahn is nearest/most familiar one for me

Though I have zepygames membership, their prices aren't the greatest

Thats nice. I would contact you if I need it haha.

Btw. how are the prices of retail games there?

We can get Asia or US or JP versions of most physical games here. For digital we just buy from the region we set up our PSN accounts (US usually).

Prices converted to USD are generally higher or equal for new releases, slightly lower for slightly older releases, never insane physical deals like the US though

wilflare

Thats nice. I would contact you if I need it haha.

Btw. how are the prices of retail games there?

really depends on the title. most shops here sell the R3/Asian release (most comes with English Subs/VoiceOver) so no worries.

They are competitive, cheaper than Amazon.com for games (not for hardware)

qisahn is nearest/most familiar one for me

Though I have zepygames membership, their prices aren't the greatest

ah so the awesome shop is Qisahn right?

though I just do most of my games shopping via PSN and Steam
and Amazon for 3DS :X

_hekk05

Banned
ah so the awesome shop is Qisahn right?

though I just do most of my games shopping via PSN and Steam
and Amazon for 3DS :X

I do all my shopping purely digital too. Qisahn and zepy are just for accessories, or the occasional emergency online cash purchase since paypal can be slow and there's a !@#$%^& sale on

I am really interested in this Sword Art Online game but seems still a bit too expensive.

Really have a different perception of game prices thanks to PC game prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom