• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Speaking of Borderlands: TPS, I see the Season Pass is still full price. I'm beginning to think 2K has decided against discounting it until all of the content has released so early birds don't feel ripped off, which is a good thing.

JaseC

Unity's "time saver" packs, which in reality are just maps of collectables tied behind a currency that Ubisoft sells for real money, are reasonably priced, surprisingly. I was worried that they'd cost 500 "Helix Points" each or something ridiculous so as to encourage people to buy said points, but they're "only" 150 each and I had ~1200 in the bank just from playing through the game. Not letting people buy the maps from merchants for the currency of the period a la 2/Brotherhood is pretty crummy, but it definitely could have been worse.

Parsnip

Sheep. I think I can beat this in under 3 hours, now I know is impossibile, at least not in my first play.
I beat the game with Jill back in days on GC, never did a Chris run, now I started the game with Chris, but I got lost too often, lol.

Using the doorskip mod will cut your time significantly, under 3 hours becomes a walk in the park.
Unity's "time saver" packs, which in reality are just maps of collectables tied behind a currency that Ubisoft sells for real money, are reasonably priced, surprisingly. I was worried that they'd cost 500 "Helix Points" each or something ridiculous so as to encourage people to buy said points, but they're "only" 150 each and I had ~1200 in the bank just from playing through the game. Not letting people buy the maps from merchants for the currency of the period a la 2/Brotherhood is pretty crummy, but it definitely could have been worse.

I really really don't like that you can't get all points of interest by syncing a viewpoint anymore.

JaseC

I really really don't like that you can't get all points of interest by syncing a viewpoint anymore.

Similarly, I absolutely hated how syncing a viewpoint in 3 didn't remove all of the map fog in the area. What an utterly boneheaded decision -- it was even at odds with the brief cutscene that plays upon syncing a viewpoint, as when the camera is pulled back a great distance it was showing you a lot of land that you hadn't actually revealed because reasons.

dex3108

Similarly, I absolutely hated how syncing a viewpoint in 3 didn't remove all of the map fog in the area. What an utterly boneheaded decision -- it was even at odds with the brief cutscene that plays upon syncing a viewpoint, as when the camera is pulled back a great distance it was showing you a lot of land that you hadn't actually revealed because reasons.

I am OK with this mechanic if there is reason to explore certain parts of map. But in AC3 and ACU there is no reason at all. They should at least give us some kind of puzzle to solve to be able to access towers.

JaseC

I hope Capcom will include Case Zero and Case West in DR2, since you can't properly understand DR3 without Case West (well, since the plot is very important in DR3 :D).

DLC for RE5 PC being all but announced is definitely reason to be optimistic.

I am OK with this mechanic if there is reason to explore certain parts of map. But in AC3 and ACU there is no reason at all. They should at least give us some kind of puzzle to solve to be able to access towers.

3 has an Abstergo challenge that requires you to run around each map until you've revealed 75% of it, so there's that. ;)

Chariot

HtozDlE.png

FINALLY. I AM FREE. AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGH

Im thinking of getting Tropico 5 and Cities Skylines from Nuuvem, a friend said to double check in here first. Im in the UK, I know they are a trusted retailer on the front page I just wanted to check if there was anything in the recent changes which should mean I shouldn't do it?

So the Force Unleashed 2 isn't as bad as I thought it would've been. Then again, I didn't exactly have high expectations, having skipped it when it came out even though I loved the original.

Terrible story though, and then they end it on a cliffhanger. Short, too, took me a bit over four hours if I'm not mistaken.

Oh well, at least I can scratch it off my backlog.

Alien8

Im thinking of getting Tropico 5 and Cities Skylines from Nuuvem, a friend said to double check in here first. Im in the UK, I know they are a trusted retailer on the front page I just wanted to check if there was anything in the recent changes which should mean I shouldn't do it?

I bought Tropico 5 from Nuuvem yesterday, and activated it without problems. It's a steam key of the vanilla edition (not the Steam special edition).

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Hey folks, just a quick question.

Was thinking of picking up both Resident Evil HD and Revelations 2 from Nuuvem, especially due to the complete edition of Revelations 2 being a great price. I noticed however that Revelations 2 is region locked. Now I would never activate a region restricted gift but from what I remember Valve aren't bothered about region locked keys are they ? Of course I know there's still risks attached and that would be on me if I did. I guess the only other worry would be that it doesn't have some sort of 'run only in' lock or a different language.

MUnited83

For you.
Hey folks, just a quick question.

Was thinking of picking up both Resident Evil HD and Revelations 2 from Nuuvem, especially due to the complete edition of Revelations 2 being a great price. I noticed however that Revelations 2 is region locked. Now I would never activate a region restricted gift but from what I remember Valve aren't bothered about region locked keys are they ? Of course I know there's still risks attached and that would be on me if I did. I guess the only other worry would be that it doesn't have some sort of 'run only in' lock or a different language.
Activating region locked keys is okay. Valve never diz anything ever to people doing it and its even a necessity to game collectors to aqquire region-specific games.
As you said, Valve doesn't care.
BUT.
There's always a possibility, in the future, they can revoke those VPN activated games.
Not a possibility at all .

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm surprised they don't have some sort of two-pack deal for RE: Revelations 2 since it's so co-op focused. I'm waiting till that hits sub 10$ since I need two copies.

JaseC

So it's safe to vpn activate games?

Keys, yes, gifts not so much.

Edit: I wish it were possible to set which four badges appear under the "Badges" link of your profile. I'd like for the two most recent sale badges to remain at the very front (foil then regular), which is something I've lost as a result of crafting the SpaceChem badge.

dex3108

3 has an Abstergo challenge that requires you to run around each map until you've revealed 75% of it, so there's that. ;)

I would prefer reward or something interesting hidden on the map :D As i said viewpoints should be reward for some kind of puzzle or interesting mission.

MUnited83

For you.
They can do it, if they want. Using a VPN is against TOS, it's not like activating a gift from another region.
I didn't say they will do it, but if they do, no one can sustain an argument about it.
According to the TOS they could revoke your entire library if they wanted. Doesnt mean its going to happen. So no, it won't happen.

Maniac

Banned
They can do it, if they want. Using a VPN is against TOS, it's not like activating a gift from another region.
I didn't say they will do it, but if they do, no one can sustain an argument about it.

I'm pretty sure it would be unlawful discrimination against super-humans with the ability to teleport and / or move faster than the speed of light.

at this point i'd suggest you wait for april and buy the ripoff version

it'll have all the dlc and look better and probably have more interesting enemies.

i'd say just beat dark 1 on ng+

it's always nice to see the same places again but under a new light, you already know all their secrets and their patterns, so it's a very different experience than on the first time. that's why i think it's not good that the game changes too much on ng+, if it did, then the experience would be about the same as in ng, only a bit more difficult
Eh. The new version will be super expensive for me. No chance I am going to be able to buy it anytime soon. Maybe in 2 years.

I couldn't enjoy the new, better visuals with my laptop anyway. And didn't the old version get a patch with all new features anyway?

The DLC will hopefully get much cheaper until I finish DS2.

Momentary

Banned
Console only. Please understand

No joke that's what's probably gonna happen

Doubt it. Square Enix's other arcade title Gunslinger Stratos is on its way to PC along with the MOBA version of Lord of Vermilion. I think there is an excellent chance of this making it to Steam.

Momentary

Banned
I don't know. If they make it as hype as Gunslinger Stratos, I'm going to dive right on in to this Dissidia game.

What's so awesome is that Lords of Vermilion and Gunslinger Stratos look to be PC exclusive so far. I highly doubt that this version of Dissidia would do the same as the previous 2 games since it seems to be very popular with console gamers as well.

MUnited83

For you.
Sorry, but you can say what you want, the fact doesn't change: if they want, they can do it. If they revoke your entire library, there's a reason behind it.
If you use a VPN to activate a gift, basically you are circumventing Valve's TOS, because basically you are paying much less of what you need to do in a normal situation.
If they close an eyes about serials, is just because serials are not sold by Valve itself.
Maybe is just not probable they will take an action against VPN users, but if they do, no one can speak about it, because they would be wrong, that's it.

I think even in Valve itself no one can say "No, we won't take action against VPN users".
Because for now, the policy is "We don't care", but in the future something will change (and that's the reason behind the region lock on all titles).

Something happened. If they see a lot of people will use a VPN to circumvent the lock, I think they'll take measures, since no one wants lose money.
Steam keys dont give any money to valve either way, so they are not losing money. (And im talking exclusively about steam keys)No, they won't ever revoke your previously activated games, i guarantee you that much. They can change their policy but it won't be retroactive.

And again, the " they can if they want" argument does not hold. Again, according to the TOS they have to revoke your entire library if they want do so. And im not talking about revoking games from people who cross TOS, no. They can and have the right to revoke all games from everyone including people who never crossed TOS on their life.

So yeah , just because they can do it doesnt mean they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom