• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
it seems like the ass creed games are never the right price i want them to be

they're always that bit higher of that impulse point

i don't have a problem waiting, but it's always the same, when it's 20 i want 15, when it's 12.50 i want 10, when it's 10 i want 7.50

it's almost like my brain is trying to tell me something

it seems like the ass creed games are never the right price i want them to be

they're always that bit higher of that impulse point

i don't have a problem waiting, but it's always the same, when it's 20 i want 15, when it's 12.50 i want 10, when it's 10 i want 7.50

it's almost like my brain is trying to tell me something

Your brain is telling you
don't turn into JaseC

Bought the rest of the Crusader King II dlc although I don't really no why given I have no time to play the game and won't do so for months. Fuck it all.

On a more positive off topic note I just sold my Monster Hunter Nu3DS for 390 dollars <3

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks, so is the on-site nuuvem region lock just a precaution or does it still apply?

The list I linked to aside, it generally indicates an activation restriction, but in some cases there's no region-lock at all despite Nuuvem's insistance to the contrary.

_hekk05

Banned
Man today is a windfall in hilarious gaming threads.

Dota 2 I can't queue for 10 whole minutes during event! thread.

The Order concern thread.

The Last Guardian is dead (but is it?) thread.

Holy shit

Have anyone here played Two Worlds II yet? How is it?
Looks neat for me, like Skyrim-lite. When I was searching for mods, I also found this Worldmerge mod which sounds pretty cool.
Reading the steam reviews, the double DRM thing is kinda turning me off though. Might pick the gog version instead.

-MD-

I want to change things up. How did all of you get into PC gaming and/or steamGaf?

For me it all started with my dad. He played a lot of stuff on PC. I vividly remember watching him play Command & Conquer, Blade Runner, and Myst. I myself messed with everything he played when he wasn't around and really liked C&C the most. Remember my mom bringing me lunch while I played skirmish mode. He also bought us a few games for me and my sister on the PC. Though I recall my sister getting more since she was older. Actually ended up enjoying her games more. I only recall having Jurassic Park for DOS which was too hard. So I would end up playing Clueless, Barbie Dress maker (where you could actually print the dresses was pretty cool), and another Barbie game where you were a deep sea diver. Well regardles of all that, pc was where I did all my gaming until I got a PSX for my 6th birthday. At that point my gaming focus shifted and aside from watching my dad still play some games on PC I didn't bother to much aside from a few titles here and there. So it was years until I seriously messed with PC gaming again. What got me to dip my toes again was a crazy sale on TF2. I think it was like 2.50 or something. So I bought it and played a bit. Didn't care too much about it though, but I found the steam platform interesting. So for the longest it was just a lot of dabbling in the platform with the family computer. Once I moved out I actually figured I could give up on PC gaming altogether considering all the consoles I had and everything else. Actually bought a netbook and said "this will do all I need it to". I used that thing for about a year until my friend convinced me to try PC gaming again. He sent me his old desktop and I bought a graphics card for it. The computer wasn't all that great though and I really didn't know what I just jammed in there. All I know is Witcher 1 ran choppy but FF14 (vanilla) ran alright. It wasn't up to snuff though so I didn't use it aside for some free games. So I really ended up just switching between the desktop and netbook depending on my needs for the day. I found out I was deploying and figured I would get myself a present after that was all said and done. I remember it was a choice between the WiiU and a Alienware X51. Obviously different prices but I only wanted to get one thing. It was actually lurking steamGAF during my off time and the Alienware X51 thread that helped me decide. Since I figured I would get something easy to jump in with and would go from there. On the way back home the winter sale was going on. I was buying shit left and right for my upcoming PC. Didn't lurk enough to give a damn about Dailies and what not. Coming back home hooking up that pc and finally talking with steamGAF (I recall before that I had a few drive by posts) was a lot of fun. My coming back party as you could say wouldn't have been the same without you guys. So thanks steam gaf.

The thing that really got me into PC gaming was WoW, I bought it back in 2006 or so and was hooked for years, I'd break away to play a console game here and there but always went back to WoW. Sometime in 2009 or so I picked up TF2 and got hooked on that and it really just progressed from there, I quit WoW sometime in 2010-2011 and have avoided MMOs since lol. I played some PC games prior to those events but they didn't sway me from my consoles at the time (Runescape, ToonTown, Morrowind, CS:S etc)

As far as SteamGAF though, dunno just stumbled in here one day and it seemed like one of the most consistent communities on GAF so I subscribed to the threads.

I want to change things up. How did all of you get into PC gaming and/or steamGaf?

I got a 386 laptop from my dad in the mid nineties and played all the classics with that: Larry's, Police Quests and so on. Then there was a long phase where I didn't have any other PC's than that and a old ass 486 desktop.

In around 2003 I got a new (used) machine with SuSe Linux and Geforce MX440SE and 1,4Ghz AMD Duron. With that I mostly played Enemy Territory regiously and some old classics and emulators. That was also my main internet PC up until something like 2012.

In that period I had all kinds of other PC's from PCs to eMacs and laptops, but nothing that could even reach top of the line. For example, I had this laptop I found in the garbage and used that to play Civ 3, Alpha Centauri, Monkey Island 3, Half Life and so on and so on. Occasionally I also played Counter Strike with yet another Windows PC that was barely better than the Linux machine I was running.

So in 2013 I finally had the income to buy a new PC, which was a pretty decent laptop. Aaaand about 450 games later in Steam I bought a new, top of the line gaming PC this winter. This is also the first generation I don't own a console in.

zychi

Banned
Gameboy and nes in 91
Played wolf3d and descent on a mac.
Oregon trail on school computers
Snes+genesis
N64+ps1
Emachine that could run starcraft and warcrafts and pc version of metal gear solid
Rest is boring

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

My parents had a windows 95 computer when I was a kid, and my grandparents had an NES. Since the late 90's was past the NES's prime, and my parents didn't want to buy some new fangled console, they basically threw a couple of Humongous Entertainment games, like Pajama Sam and Freddi Fish, and the PC versions of Sanic CD, 3&Knuckles, and Lego Racers at me to keep me from bothering them. After that, I got a GBA and later a Gamecube, but still played on PC from time to time. And thanks to the lack of parental supervision and local stores like Five Below not giving a shit about selling certain games to minors, the mid 2000s were pretty great, and I moved from GBA and GC back to PC for a while. Five Below used to be so good, I remember saving up meager allowance money to buy games like AoE 1 & 2, Civ III, Roller Coaster Tycoon 1-3, Deus Ex, and a few shittier games like this terrible video game version of Diplomacy published by Paradox Interactive. After Five Below declined in quality, I bought Civ IV and AoE III from Best Buy, and those more or less became massive time sinks for me. Other than that, I mostly just had cheap games I bought from middle school book fairs, like the fifth edition of the Oregon Trail and this sort of okay AGEOD game called Birth of America.

I took a break from PC gaming after that, and mostly relied on trading between friends for games, along with taking turns playing different single player games with them. 2008 was kind of a dark spot, but that got better. Looking through the Steam sales transactions, I bought Civ III (which I think I had lost the physical copy of at some point, though I later found it), The Binding of Isaac+Wrath of the Lamb, and Terraria during 2012's summer sale. I don't really remember when, but at some point I had Minecraft. I didn't buy anything else on Steam until the summer sale after that I got a couple indie games, most importantly FTL, and Civ V. I also some stuff from GOG in the winter of that year, but that was pretty much it for a while.

I was still mainly a console and handheld person until early last year. I was kind of interested in playing another PC game, and saw last year's valentine's day sale. I decided to buy Long Live the Queen on a whim, and looked at some of the other games. One of the games I was thinking about buying was 7 Grand Steps, so I decided to ask Steamgaf if it was any good.

No one ever told me if it was any good or not, but at least Wok linked to a demo, so there's that.

Getting back into PC gaming just sort of naturally happened after that, ended up with a pretty decent desktop PC, bought more games than I could ever hope to play, etc.

rrvv

Man today is a windfall in hilarious gaming threads.

Dota 2 I can't queue for 10 whole minutes during event! thread.

The Order concern thread.

The Last Guardian is dead (but is it?) thread.

Holy shit

seem just another day for overeating game fans

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

I grew up with this shit

thug life. you can take a man out of the neighborhood, but you can't take the neighborhood out of the man

Haunted

Harold might honestly be one of the best looking, best animated games on Steam. It looks like a damn 2D animated movie in motion.

That said, from what I've seen of the actual gameplay, it seems to be an endless runner designed for mobile and touch controls first and foremost. Fairly involved compared to others I've seen. But just the way it looks and moves is highly impressive.

edit: on the what got you into PC gaming question: my big brother had a Commodore 64 (and later an Amiga 500) and I just ate that shit up. Sneaked on it to play whenever I had the chance. :D I naturally moved on to get my own PC from there.

Rand6

How did all of you get into PC gaming and/or steamGaf?

Portal 1 was free, so I tried it. But before that I needed to download something called "Steam". I did a google search, and it was not a virus so I installed it.
Shortly after that there was that thing called "Steam sales" that I have heard about a few time.
Now I have more than 250 games lol (I know that's not much compared to JaseC and other here, but for me it's a lot)

Arthea

challenge:

guess which game has this for a name of level 5 badge:
(&#65290;^_^&#65290;)&#12446;

hint
just kidding

edited: talking about getting into PC gaming, I was there at the start and let's leave it at that (><)

edit2: 35% of completion get (yesterday)

Monooboe

What a great question, so interesting to see how everyone got started!:D

I've started with gaming on a Magnavox Odyssey² which I got from a family friend and then computers with Commodore 64 which I actually think was my brothers but he might have been more interested in riding mopeds and drinking beer with girls haha. I've been that way since then, gaming on PC and console, though I did hate the PC there for awhile when PCs started to take more and more space in my gamingmags in that SNES/Genesis era. I had a Amiga 500 which I loved but I did sell it and bought a PC, a 486, 33mhz with 4mb ram, such a beast, I upgraded the ram to 8mb, the extra 4mb cost me 200dollar:ish haha. I've been lucky in that my parents did support learning and using PCs, so they did buy my three first PCs even though they themselves never used them. So I've been buying all consoles and upgrading my PCs since then. As for Steam, well as many I started using it kicking and screaming with the release of Half-Life 2.

zkylon

zkylewd
my first computer was a 486 with win 3.1 i think. played lots of carmen sandiego and putt putt goes to the moon and used to spend most of my computer time goofing around drawing things in this paint program for kids

i still remember buying a voodoo card and buying like 32mb of ram or something

back when i was playing fallout, my hard drive had a 2gigs size so i could only fit fallout 2 or diablo 2, so i would uninstall one and install the other every week to play them for a bit lol

that's all i got for all computer stories

milena87

Ahhh, PC gaming. Let me start by explaining the 4 major figures in my early love for PC gaming: my cousin, who's 4 year older than me and my best friend when we were young. He made me love videogames and we played together on PC, on the SNES and later on the PS 1&2.

Then there's my uncle, who's not my cousin's father, and he taught me how to build a PC and take care of it.

My aunt, who's neither my uncle's wife nor my cousin's mother, and she was incredibly generous. She gave me all of her old PCs when I was younger, she bought me a SNES and every game I ever owned for it and she also lent me every Lucasarts game she owned and bought me Ultima IX, my first RPG.

Lasty there's my best friend from elementary and middle school, who came to my house pretty much daily. We finished all the Lucasarts adventure games, killed every character we ever created in The Sims and played a lot of Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow. Yes, this was an action game for 1 player, but we played together: I moved the character around with the keyboard while he attacked and made the special moves with the joypad. We also played on consoles of course.

The games that cemented my love for gaming and PC gaming especially were the Lucasarts adventure games, Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima IX, Max Payne, Vampire Bloodlines, The Longest Journey, KotOR 1&2 and Neverwinter Nights 2.

I did play more on consoles than on PC for a few years, from 2008 to 2013, as my younger brother loved the Xbox 360 and we started playing a few games together.

But at the beginning of 2013 I bought a new PC and now I'm fully back. My wallet didn't appreciate the change much, as I'm almost at 1.000 games on Steam é_é

edit: I forgot to say when I started! I started to play on PC with my cousin when I was 4 years old. We played Golden Axe together. And my first PC was a black&white DOS thingy that my uncle scraped together when I was 5, with Prince of Persia and some winter sport games on it.

Uzzy

I remember back in the olden days, that I installed an 8gb hard drive and thought 'It's impossible to ever fill that up'. Played a lot of Civilisation 2 and Command and Conquer back then, those were fantastic.

Tizoc

My earliest memories of PC games is seeing my cousin play Age of Empires 2 and us having these PC games
Full Throttle, Dune 2000 and a demo of SW Dark Forces which we never played

my first computer was a 486 with win 3.1 i think

i still remember buying a voodoo card and buying like 32mb of ram or something

back when i was playing fallout, my hard drive had a 2gigs size so i could only fit fallout 2 or diablo 2, so i would uninstall one and install the other every week to play them for a bit lol
I got the same pc. I used to play Doom, Diablo, Warcraft 2 and Starcraft on it. I get roughly 10-15 fps when playing Starcraft. Yep, it was a pos. I shudder to play it on Diablo 2 for hardcore mode. Did I mention I was playing on 56k back then? Someone picks up the phone and I get dropped. No broadband for me back then.

I remember playing around with dos too.

zkylon

zkylewd
I got the same pc. I used to play Doom, Diablo, Warcraft 2 and Starcraft on it. I get roughly 10-15 fps when playing Starcraft. Yep, it was a pos. I shudder to play it on Diablo 2 for hardcore mode. Did I mention I was playing on 56k back then? Someone picks up the phone and I get dropped. No broadband for me back then.

I remember playing around with dos too.

oh yeah 56k was hilarious

took like a family meeting to decide which moment no one would be using the phone and to make sure everyone made all their phonecalls so you could browse for like an hour

here we had 56k up until counterstrike days

Deques

Just found out that Hero Siege got most of it's achievement removed, because of... difficult to handle according to the devs. No I know why my astats page is showing an easy to obtain achievement is ranked up as the worth most...
They broke my achievement stats :(

Before the removal, it had 156 achievements, now it only has 34

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wouldn't have bought the bloody disguise skill in Unity if its description mentioned the fact that it can't be used in restricted areas. Bah.

dex3108

Well i am PC gamer whole my life. Everything started when i was 5 (1995) i think and war just ended here (don't worry it is not sad story xD) and few relatives were finally able to come and visit us. They brought Laptop to my dad (it was this brand and very similar to this and screen was black and white). That was first time i experienced gaming on Laptop/PC and first game i played was QBasic Gorillas and later i played chess. Both games required to be run from DOS and i learned that too so i was able to start Window, enter DOS and start game i wanted alone at age of 5 :D Two years later when i was 7 years old we got our first PC with 10GB HDD, graphic card with 8MB of RAM and Pentium 1 CPU i think (i don't remember how much RAM PC had) and that was a beast! That PC was upgraded few times before i got my own around 2003 PC with Pentium 4 CPU, 512MB of RAM and MX440 with 64MB i think. But not everything was great because that was still time after war and there wasn't a way to legally buy games and internet was luxury so i was buying pirated games (at that time i even didn't know that that was illegal).

New era of PC gaming for me begins around 2008 when broadband internet was available and i joined Steam. First game on Steam for me was Portal 1 that i got from my friend, and first game i bought on Steam was Frontlines Fuel of War (it was daily deal or whatever don't judge me). And since then my illegal collection was getting smaller and smaller and my Steam Library and Retail collection was getting bigger. I started to saving money for PC upgrades and since then i am upgrading and maintaining my PCs. I also own Laptop now that i bought when i started college (it is HP Pavillion with i3, 4GB of DDR2 RAM and nVidia card), Nexus 7 2013 tablet and Nexus 5. Closest i ever get to be console owner was 2 or 3 years ago when i borrowed PS3 from my friend for couple of months to play Uncharted 1 and 2, RDR, Infamous 1 and Journey.

And i became somewhat active SteamGAF member around last summer sale i think :D

I started with a commodore 64 so I guess I'm a PC gamer from the start. Went a few years without a PC (played games on the NES and the Mega Drive) but then in the mid 90's bought a Pentium 4.
I'll never forget the dawn of the FPS, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen...
I also remember a flight sym called Terminal Velocity, holy shit that blew my mind.

All y'all are kids to me if your first experience is with Windows PC's.
My family's first computer was a Macintosh Performa 5200, IIRC.
Macintosh_Performa_5200.jpg
Looks about right.

Arthea

Attila is actually a top seller? I'm impressed.
Anybody here played it already? Or is it not unlocked yet? There are 44 steam reviews, so clearly somebody plays it already, not that I understand writing review after playing an hour of such a game as TW.

Deques

Sega Genesis Collection $2.62
Steam key provided

There is another Sega Genesis Collection for sale $4.88.

Collection 1-4 are in both packs. Collection 5 is not available in the second pack and there are some games in the second that are not in the first pack.

You probably need to buy both to have the complete Sega Genesis collection

oh wow, never heard devs removing achievements, especially in such numbers. I know a lot of from "difficult" to close to impossible achievements and nobody removes those!

Don't forget broken achievements that never get fixed or removed

Arthea

Just found out that Hero Siege got most of it's achievement removed, because of... difficult to handle according to the devs. No I know why my astats page is showing an easy to obtain achievement is ranked up as the worth most...
They broke my achievement stats :(

Before the removal, it had 156 achievements, now it only has 34

oh wow, never heard devs removing achievements, especially in such numbers. I know a lot of from "difficult" to close to impossible achievements and nobody removes those!

I got into steam because I was forced by Valve in one of the biggest gaming dick moves of all time.

Which later worked out ok.

PC? I got a 386 DX from my Grandparents to help me with my maths. Not only did it help me with that, but it got me to play games like Ultima and System Shock, which made games a huge part of my life.

My Grandfather died on the weekend. He is gone, but I'm still here sitting on a computer many years later, still playing games and still remembering those early days stuffing around with memmaker trying to get things to work.

That is probably why I'm pretty forgiving of people who get excited about games like The Order, or champion the PC as the best platform. You don't get to do much in life when it comes down to it, so if you are going to spend time on something, you should at least care a lot about it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I am having so much fun with besiege holy shit

I wonder what else they could add to it

It is frustrating, as this is supposed to be a forum filled with users who are dedicated to the hobby. Yet getting people interested in compelling gameplay experiences is like pulling teeth.
The vast majority are just interested in whatever game has the highest marketing budget unfortunately.

Because at the end of the day, it feels like GAF is just a bunch of casuals thinking they are hardcore because of the email registration.

Sega Genesis Collection $2.62
Steam key provided

There is another Sega Genesis Collection for sale $4.88.

Collection 1-4 are in both packs. Collection 5 is not available in the second pack and there are some games in the second that are not in the first pack.

You probably need to buy both to have the complete Sega Genesis collection

Why not just buy the second pack then buy collection 5?

Arthea

Marketing budgets actually exist to make people exited about stuff, let's not forget that and unless you are old and bitter, it works, or nobody would have spent millions on that ;)

exactly!

edited: talking about not being excited when you should. Still nobody plays Crystal Story II but me, even if I keep repeating how fun it is. Everybody is at fault at going for shiny expensive things, but me (><)
I again can't beat a certain postgame optional boss btw, but I will, if even it will take another 10 hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom