• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

iosefe

My joke seems to have gotten lost somewhere. Maybe it was too long winded.

20-bucks.jpg

I got your joke. :p

bZ8FuhY.jpg

I don't think she looks like Ellen Page.

"Never Buy a game before the PC Definitive Edition"

FoneBone

Yeah, I might have to wait for a sale to get the Steam version. But yeah, they've (the publishers) have started to notice. Some of the games like Injustice are now purchase region locked when they weren't before. Too many people know about Nuuvem now that its all over Reddit.

I guess that only just happened in the past day or two... ugh, that does not bode well for future Nuuvem discounts. :(

Jawmuncher

Never knew the PC port of MGS1 was based off integral. Really hope that Collection happens with this included. Would love to see the features we never got in NA.

PC version
The PC version of Metal Gear Solid was released in North America, Europe and Asia in late 2000.[13][23][70] This version was published by Microsoft Game Studios and developed by Digital Dialect. While the PC version is simply labelled Metal Gear Solid on the packaging, it is actually based on Metal Gear Solid: Integral, which is the title that appears in the actual game.

This version has a few changes from the PlayStation release. Due to hardware design differences, the cutscene prior to the Psycho Mantis battle where he reads the player's memory card and vibrates the game controller was removed, and the method for defeating him was changed as well. The Staff frequency number (140.07) was removed from the Codec. The first-person view mode has been integrated into the main game and can be toggle at anytime. All 300 VR Training missions, as well as the photoshoot mode, are available from the start.[71] Players can save their progress at any point without contacting Mei-Ling.

Derp

Wow so i found out i can run all of my games at 4K if i turn off AA (excluding all the latest AAA framerate-eaters, because fuck that). And for some reason i notice zero difference when AA is on or off at 4K. Is it because the edges have such a high pixel density that jaggies aren't noticeable? Okay I have no idea. I'm speaking from my ass. Either way i'm happy.

Wow so i found out i can run all of my games at 4K if i turn off AA (excluding all the latest AAA framerate-eaters, because fuck that). And for some reason i notice zero difference when AA is on or off at 4K. Is it because the edges have such a high pixel density that jaggies aren't noticeable? Okay I have no idea. I'm speaking from my ass. Either way i'm happy.

Do you mean native 4K or downsampled 4K? Because with downsampled 4K you really don't need AA as the downsampling itself cleans up the image.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Conrad Link, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Conrad Link, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bliss -- MB-9E1C69D814B02F8F - Taken by Dimitri2401. 6 entrants total.
Love -- MB-3A14400436A9F850 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 4 entrants total.

t1424148412z1.png

Derp

Do you mean native 4K or downsampled 4K? Because with downsampled 4K you really don't need AA as the downsampling itself cleans up the image.
Native. The edges are super smooth even without AA, i'm assuming it's because of the high res edges making it look smooth. No idea.

I used to downsample on my crappy 1680x1050 monitor, and you're right, it smoothed itself without AA. But now that i've finally upgraded to a 4K monitor (which i didn't pay for!) i thought i may as well utilize it, and it worked out better than i thought.

Jawmuncher

I want to change things up. How did all of you get into PC gaming and/or steamGaf?

For me it all started with my dad. He played a lot of stuff on PC. I vividly remember watching him play Command & Conquer, Blade Runner, and Myst. I myself messed with everything he played when he wasn't around and really liked C&C the most. Remember my mom bringing me lunch while I played skirmish mode. He also bought us a few games for me and my sister on the PC. Though I recall my sister getting more since she was older. Actually ended up enjoying her games more. I only recall having Jurassic Park for DOS which was too hard. So I would end up playing Clueless, Barbie Dress maker (where you could actually print the dresses was pretty cool), and another Barbie game where you were a deep sea diver. Well regardles of all that, pc was where I did all my gaming until I got a PSX for my 6th birthday. At that point my gaming focus shifted and aside from watching my dad still play some games on PC I didn't bother to much aside from a few titles here and there. So it was years until I seriously messed with PC gaming again. What got me to dip my toes again was a crazy sale on TF2. I think it was like 2.50 or something. So I bought it and played a bit. Didn't care too much about it though, but I found the steam platform interesting. So for the longest it was just a lot of dabbling in the platform with the family computer. Once I moved out I actually figured I could give up on PC gaming altogether considering all the consoles I had and everything else. Actually bought a netbook and said "this will do all I need it to". I used that thing for about a year until my friend convinced me to try PC gaming again. He sent me his old desktop and I bought a graphics card for it. The computer wasn't all that great though and I really didn't know what I just jammed in there. All I know is Witcher 1 ran choppy but FF14 (vanilla) ran alright. It wasn't up to snuff though so I didn't use it aside for some free games. So I really ended up just switching between the desktop and netbook depending on my needs for the day. I found out I was deploying and figured I would get myself a present after that was all said and done. I remember it was a choice between the WiiU and a Alienware X51. Obviously different prices but I only wanted to get one thing. It was actually lurking steamGAF during my off time and the Alienware X51 thread that helped me decide. Since I figured I would get something easy to jump in with and would go from there. On the way back home the winter sale was going on. I was buying shit left and right for my upcoming PC. Didn't lurk enough to give a damn about Dailies and what not. Coming back home hooking up that pc and finally talking with steamGAF (I recall before that I had a few drive by posts) was a lot of fun. My coming back party as you could say wouldn't have been the same without you guys. So thanks steam gaf.

Parsnip

When I was 12 System Shock released. Along with some other bangers. 1994 was a pretty solid year for SNES. Super Metroid, FF6, DKC, etc.

And Shaq Fu.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Rainbow Six, og version and Aliens vs Predators, then soon after Half Life.

Before that kid space old Packard bell bundled games stuff like megarace, Mario teaches typing, etc.

And motherfucking math blaster.

Zafir

Playing The Sims which was given to me on this really old chunky laptop of my Dad's. Eventually I got a new laptop and played Guild Wars, then World of Warcraft classic. Nearing the end of my WoW time(TBC's release) I got a proper desktop. As years have gone by I've become more and more of a PC gamer really, since I've more money to spend on building/maintaining one.

I still own consoles, but I don't play them any where near as much.

Edit: Oh right, I got Half Life 2 when I got that new laptop I think. That's how I got a Steam account. Course, I absolutely hated the damn thing when it first came out.

iosefe

Edutainment games. Math/Reading Blaster Junior, Jungle Train 3-D. Slam Dunk Typing. that Sesame street game, etc...

pretty legit stuff

But then i played MechWarrior 2 and Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. and the rest is history.

Parsnip

I'm so old that I don't remember how I got into PC gaming.
It was some pentium something that I grabbed from an office auction and played Settlers 1 on it.

I came to gaf/steamgaf when some of my other communities (primarily Raptr) were starting go to shit. You're all I have now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I got into PC gaming because my Dad brought home his "portable computer"--for the youngins', these were basically something as heavy as a desktop with a shitty 5 or 6 inch screen built in and a big-ass handle and they're what you had to do if you wanted to use a computer at your house before desktop PCs were affordable--which had a shareware copy of Commander Keen: Invasion of the Vorticons on it.

He had a pogo stick. He had a ray gun. He was a boy genius. You shot... uh... green dudes! There were ninja panda dogs that took like five shots! The game had its own alien alphabet! Vertical scrolling! Pepsi score pickups! It had dope sound effects.

Couldn't ask for a better introduction to PC gaming. I've been hooked since.

louiedog

I had no idea more of this game was coming. I played the first episode, without realizing it was even episodic, on XBLA in 2010.

I want to change things up. How did all of you get into PC gaming and/or steamGaf?
It started with my parents wouldn't buy me consoles when I was very young (I did have a Nintendo SP though), so all I got was shitty office PC. After throwing out that Pentium 4 machine in the age of quad cores, I started trying out different kinds of games, mostly pirated. Then I discovered steam sale, after I got to college, I finally have my own personal computer, and here I am.

Our first computer was a Packard Bell, which came with some games, mostly kids stuff, but also MegaRace. The first game I got though was Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure, otherwise known as Little Big Adventure. I loved that game. Then in high school my friends introduced me to games like Scorched Earth, Star Control, Warcraft/Warcraft II, Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. I was hooked. I also used to MUD a lot.

I didn't really get into PC gaming though until college when I played Unreal Tournament, Quake III, and many years of Team Fortress Classic.

Turfster

I played converted CGA (4 colours, count them, four) games on my high res Hercules monochrome card (that was the length of the width of the average 24" monitor) on a TURBO XT that did a whopping 108 MEGAhertz and ran games automatically when you inserted the big floppy and booted it (after some fiddling with the system files)!
We sometimes even had to turn off the turbo because otherwise the framerate was too high and games were unplayable!

I got into PC gaming because my Dad brought home his "portable computer"--for the youngins', these were basically something as heavy as a desktop with a shitty 5 or 6 inch screen built in and a big-ass handle
We had those in school for lessons.
Ah, memories.

Speevy

Banned
I got into PC gaming because of a little game called Wolfenstein 3D.

Played Duke Nukem, Doom, Hexen, and basically that was the extent of my PC experience until Steam arrived.

Console otherwise.

_hekk05

Banned
First game I ever played was pokemon red, first PC game was a pirated version of C&C tiberian sun. I had no idea what I was doing. No consoles. I didn't play much as a kid.

First PC game I actually knew what I was doing was actually red alert 2 (pirated), then the first COD (pirated also lol). It was the shit back in the day. Then it was DotA (also pirated. See a pattern here?)

First game on steam was dota 2, first non-pirated PC game was natural selection 2. I found my clan playing ns2 and we still play to this day.

I've only played steam stuff on laptops so far. In about 3 years I'll move to a new place and build myself a monster. Already got the money saved up.

baterism

I got a PC for school purposes during Junior High, coming with TNT something (if I remember correctly) VGA and 1,8ghz Celeron. From the shop it was installed with demo version of AoE2. I played that demo like crazy. I think that was my most played demo, the second is GZ. Then I got my hand on pirated Warcraft3, CnC Generals, and so on and so on. Getting original copy is out of question (and not like I care at that time). My first legit game is L4D2 on Steam on 75% sale, I finally saw the light of Gaben.
At that time, my laptop can't even run it. Then I get better laptop and, well yeah, I game primarily on it. I'm still waiting for handheld-PC to mature, the train is unstoppable.

Annubis

How did all of you get into PC gaming and/or steamGaf?

When I was 2-3, my dad bought an IBM and I learned DOS to play centipede
and Leisure Suit Larry
on it.

As for SteamGAF? I got tired of missing out on all the super awesome deals that Steam apparently had. I guess that's mission accomplished because my library is bigger than ever and I probably spent less on Steam in the last 2 years than in my first year.

zkylon

zkylewd
don't think there's much of a history to me, i had this cousin i looked up to that used to have all the cool rpgs like icewind dale and shit and he introduced me to fallout 2 (i still have that super pirated copy!) and i went crazy about it, beat it like a million times, wrote a super long gamefaqs guide i never actually uploaded (lol) and i would just play it all day when i was like 13 or something. just tried every possible outcome and tried every combination i could, i was insane heh

but other than fallout i did console games until the ps3 era in which console games were no longer easily piratable (and i was gonna buy a ps3 for dem juicy jrpgs we never got), so i just pirated pc games, playing lots of thief, deus ex, call of duty, neverwinter nights and vampire bloodlines, etc.

at one point i got a job and disposable income and steam was there and was cheap so i started actually paying for games, and that's where i am now (except the job part)

i've since bought many fallouts in different shapes, so i consider my soul saved

I was a console gamer (I started with the Genesis, then N64, and played other consoles at my friends'). Then my parents decided to buy a PC, so that we could be better at school (the usual excuse in the 90's), and a friend lent me Half-Life.

I had played some other PC stuff before on friends' computers, but not for long periods of time (quality stuff though: Doom, Indy and Monkey Island...). So HL was the first game I really played on PC, and it totally blew my mind. It's still one of my very favorite games nowadays.

Obviously, I was brought to Steam by HL2.

Sch1sm

When I was about 10, I watched my older cousin play Counter Strike pretty often. It was the beginning of the end.

The Holiday Sale brought me here.
Turfster's sale notifications kept me here.
<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom