• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I've learned that:
-The Order sucks and is short, according to critics.
-Origin still doesn't let me download games through it, despite reinstalling / redownloading the app multiple times.
-My Laptop has a adware preloaded that can become a security risk. Thanks L!
-My SteamGuard activated on itself, so I'm barred from doing market activities for some time.

Such a great day! /s

FLD

Any Frozen Cortex impressions? Crazy to see the follow-up to Frozen Synapse come out of early access and not a GAF thread or published review in sight.

Yeah, what's up with this? Did the EA leave a bad taste in people's mouth or people never cared? I thought there was some excitement when it was announced.

I think it's mostly a general lack of awareness that it's officially released. I loved what I've played during early access and mostly tried keeping up with the game but I only found out about the official release at the last minute.

ExoSoul

Banned
indeed...

hey Lurker Prime, do you want Medic or Grenadier?. also. your character dodged SO MANY SHOTS. he should be dead if not for his reflexes
Oh wait,

So support - medic
Heavy - grenadier
Assault - scout
And sniper - sniper (>_>)
?

Whoohooo I'm a scout!(?)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I haven't seen Damned before. It looks pretty scary in the trailer, but I guess the novelty wears off after a couple of games?

It's very early access. The game elements itself are pretty confusing, though fairly in-depth. You pretty much need a guide to make sense of it. It took my group a couple of rounds to figure out how each creature worked. Survivors have pretty much all of the odds stacked against them, which works on a fear level but not so well on a balance level.

I do think it's worth a few dollars easily for some goofy, incredibly janky hide-and-seek style gameplay. There's a few brilliant ideas within that I'd love to see the team iterate upon and polish up. The survivors have a sanity system which causes them to hallucinate and act erratically, giving away their position or trapping them in a room for a short period of time. The creature has a special voice channel which is location-based, and it has a filter applied over it to make the player's voice distorted and creepy. The atmosphere is perfect, barring some obviously very amateur-ish art assets. The different creatures each have their own playstyle which requires both the creature and the survivors to play differently depending. I think with the right amount of elbow grease, it could have the potential to be a fun multiplayer game even if the scares wear off after a few matches.

E1981A543ABFFC5AADDC7022E2AA0C856CBF4E89

Saying that, it's going to need a lot of work before it gets to that stage. User interface is pretty poorly designed, nothing is very well explained at all which is a huge hurdle for new players, stages are hilariously imbalanced and too frequently hide the one key survivors need in the worst possible spot imaginable which brings any progress to a screeching halt. And I honestly do not know how committed the dev team is to seeing Damned through at this point, since I only really started paying attention to it more recently. Perhaps someone else can chime in to give a more detailed history on the updates it has seen.

iosefe

Oh wait,

So support - medic
Heavy - grenadier
Assault - scout
And sniper - sniper (>_>)
?

Whoohooo I'm a scout!(?)
well there is a support that can bring extra grenades. if i read it correctly. but yes you are scout and i have a handy upgrade for you now.
what happened?

playing XCOM Long War mod. i have them as characters
That was quick :(
i still have the german girl Karla chariot that i made just in case

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. The Order got shit on by reviewers. I didn't think it would be taht bad lol.

You have free games like DOTA2 which offers thousands of hours of multiplayer gameplay.

Japanese games like Dark Souls which offers hundreds of hours of singleplayer gameplay.

And than you get something like The Order. Which gives people a couple hours of boring gameplay for $60. I wonder why developers/directors do that? You know the trend and you know exactly what the majority of gamers want..yet you give them the exact opposite. Its really crazy what AAA gaming industry is turning into. Its actually kinda of sad.

People like short games at times, too. Look at how games like Journey, Bastion, and Hotline Miami became popular. All three can be finished in under ten hours, but are celebrated as great games.

The problem shouldn't just be about the length of a game, but about what it can do with its content in that length of time. The Order seems to suffer heavily from not being able to do enough with its content in the length of a full playthrough.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I probably go to hell given that I don't believe in any particular god. No matter what god actually exists, he or she is going to be pretty upset about it and will probably deny me Waifu Heaven.

... plus - you're German on top of that ;)

lashman

Why would you even write something like this? Do you want to see derExperte crying? Is that it?

yeah, I know ... it's a horrible thing to even think about ... but ... well, I don't know ... wouldn't put that sort of thing past Sony, that's all

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
they've been bffs with Sony lately ... so I fear they might release it on PS4 first ... :/

If there's to be a console beta it'll be after the PC one. Patch certification times make it difficult to respond to player feedback in a timely manner, which isn't an issue on Steam and is less of an issue on consoles when you have a solid foundation.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Seems like a good time to dig up my comments on the Order from last year's Stream Thread:

If the Order comes out and it isn't just a 599/10, I'll buy a damn PS4

Hey, it is shaping up to be an incredibly immersive experience. In one segment you're being chased by a werewolf and your character is injured.

Like magic, a button prompt comes up that suggests you take some pills to heal yourself. Think of the ramifications.

Do you take the pills or do you not? Anything can happen.

I am a god-damn Seer.

derExperte

yeah, I know ... it's a horrible thing to even think about ... but ... well, I don't know ... wouldn't put that sort of thing past Sony, that's all

Well I'm crying now. Happy?

I could see cross-platform co-op happening even though you need tons of precision on higher levels.

lashman

If there's to be a console beta it'll be after the PC one. Patch certification times make it difficult to respond to player feedback in a timely manner, which isn't an issue on Steam and is less of an issue on consoles when you have a solid foundation.

I really do hope you're right (for a change) ;)

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

PIXEL PUZZLES JAPAN -- MB-FA4787DD57B15BD8 - Taken by brassica
GUNWORLD -- MB-1A5A28ED3724D13E - Taken by jmizzal
Crystals of Time -- MB-86FDF27403083AB6 - Taken by Purkake4

Monooboe

Damn, writing a thesis paper is killing me! I just want to play games!T_T When will there be a writing thesis paper puzzle game, where you match words and if it's good you get alot of XP and fanfare...

People like short games at times, too. Look at how games like Journey, Bastion, and Hotline Miami became popular. All three can be finished in under ten hours, but are celebrated as great games.

The problem shouldn't just be about the length of a game, but about what it can do with its content in that length of time. The Order seems to suffer heavily from not being able to do enough with its content in the length of a full playthrough.

Is this the fabled rational thought and reason in video game discussion that the old legends speak of? I never thought I'd live to see it with my own eyes. It's beautiful.

I, personally, love a game that doesn't overstay its welcome. Far worse than a short game would be a padded one, which almost never flies and always shows itself as padding.

Uraizen

Banned
So seems Garou is released on iOS and Android, I'm gonna assume it is by DotEmu, just hope the online component will be hanlded by Code Mystics like 02 and 98 UM when we get the Steam release down the line =X

Dammit! DotEmu has always done their iOS ports to Steam, though. I expect them to do it if
when, plz
it happens.

Am I the only one who don't care a fuck about reviews? =d
Hi btw.

Nobody has ever cared, it's just a source of entertainment like bad reality TV.

a moment of silence for Chariot and Zeknurn...

.... what.

That was quick :(

You changed your avatar?! *bows head* Chariot was a good man...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom