• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backlogger

Daily Planet Explorers 50% off
Weekend
  • Space Engineer 40% off FREE WEEKEND
  • Overlord Franchise xx% off
  • Collar Duty Advanced Woofwear 34% off FREE WEEKEND

Space Engineer has been cheaper, so I probably wouldn't buy at this price, but at least I can try it out now. I almost bought it during the Winter Seal but was torn after reading reviews.

COD: AW will be fun to try out this weekend too.

I can't think of the last time I took advantage of a free weekend

iosefe

Do I get to jump in? I may not be it yet but with a name like this I can assure you a psy officer (hopefully)

Edit: Take it one step further - inform people of their class and and let them be the ones to chose which skills they get ;D
i honestly like that idea. but it will take a while. thats the kinda thing someone makes a thread for i would say
Sounds good.

Wait...

What's the life expectancy of a Scout under your command?

thats a good question. i will be careful

Zia

Any Frozen Cortex impressions? Crazy to see the follow-up to Frozen Synapse come out of early access and not a GAF thread or published review in sight.

if the single player of CODAW is available for free this weekend then i really suggest you folks give that a go. It's pretty much the best campaign since MW2 and the most fun i've had with a cod campaign since BLOPS1.

if the single player of CODAW is available for free this weekend then i really suggest you folks give that a go. It's pretty much the best campaign since MW2 and the most fun i've had with a cod campaign since BLOPS1.

I agree. I played it on XBone and it was really good. I'm thinking about trying to replay it again.

Turfster

Humble Co-op 2 bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Shadow Puppeteer
  • ibb & obb double pack
  • Hero Siege
TIER 2: BTA
  • Hammerwatch
  • Damned
TIER 3: 10$
  • FORCED
  • Contagion
TIER 4: 17$
  • Two bundles
TIER 5: 30$
  • Four bundles

Ozium

alas

no goats

only coop now

edit: I dont have hero siege and ibb and obb is fun from what I played on ps3 so I my grab the $1 tier

iosefe

I kinda wanna be a meat puppet too :p
Add me to your
harem
iosefe senpai
we'll see how it goes. unfortunately i reached my limit of 6. for the time being. i made one for you though. if someone dies you take their place. eventually i'll be able to get more than 6 and hopeful you all survive.

also sorry Lurker, i'm gonna have to make you your own person. i can't have Sid Meier running around the battlefield so early.

here you are guys, the ones that made the cut:
16395551288_bf2781028f_o.jpg

Benedict

Some good leftovers.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Benedict, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Hammerwatch -- MB-283D41022E8C567E - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Hero Siege -- MB-D72E070053144379 - Taken by Mavromatis

yuraya

Damn. The Order got shit on by reviewers. I didn't think it would be taht bad lol.

You have free games like DOTA2 which offers thousands of hours of multiplayer gameplay.

Japanese games like Dark Souls which offers hundreds of hours of singleplayer gameplay.

And than you get something like The Order. Which gives people a couple hours of boring gameplay for $60. I wonder why developers/directors do that? You know the trend and you know exactly what the majority of gamers want..yet you give them the exact opposite. Its really crazy what AAA gaming industry is turning into. Its actually kinda of sad.

Saty

I don't view these two as hard questions. I think the response should be "Go away and stop bothering me." I don't think fans are entitled to know what is and isn't being developed. I don't think Valve should be obligated to make Half-Life if they don't want to. I don't think these things are what people mean when they say "good communication". Good communication is keeping your customers informed about what they're paying for and what you expect them to pay for. If Valve was taking pre-orders for HL3 but not giving people information, people would have a right to be angry. Beyond that... like, it's not my business when Steven Spielberg is directing or whether Douglas Coupland is going to write a new book or if Brian May is writing any new songs. They don't owe me that, if they want to work in private, they can. If they want to work in public, they can. If they don't want to work at all, they can. I mean, yeah, I want them to work more, but I'm not going to cross the line from "I'd love it if he kept working" to "My past purchase of his products entitles me to pressure him on his future products".
It's not entitlement - it's a simple question that has a simple answer. Do you think it's reasonable or that it doesn't reflect badly on a company when they say nothing about the status of a known product in development for 8 years? Do you think fans aren't in the right in asking a simple 'Game is at X phase of development. Don't expect anything this year'?

Is it better to leave people hanging in the air for 8 years? I don't want to pressure them into making anything. I want them to get on record about the subject and make it clear - Are you working on a HL game currently? Is it in the vein of previous entries? So that i can finally know if i can let go and continue on or that it's still something i would look for.

Also, when you talk about the game in codes or say that 'the talent of making games like HL is not really relevant for us now' then your argument doesn't work. You ought to step up and speak clearly about the status of the game. Simple yes\no questions. If their stance is to stay mum until a point only they know when then this pretty childish. There is no good reason to say nothing for this long, and if they want to keep doing that then they should know they damaging themselves in the eyes of the community.

These questions are more reasonable, because they are questions about products/services people are using on an ongoing basis, that they're contributing money to, and that they're impacted by. But I don't think you'll get answers, and I also feel like you already know the true answers: They as a company like experimenting with different monetization methods. They're widely lauded for the transition of TF2 to F2P. Dota 2 is generally well liked. They've continued to experiment, not every experiment is met with fan affirmation, and they take that stuff into account. It's pretty clear they want to see what people want to pay for, and what they don't. So the answer to "why'd you do this" is "we wanted to see what happened". And for the latter, it's because the company is obsessed with hiring genius mad scientists types and doesn't want to hire routine personnel taking care of putting out fires, daily maintenance. They don't want to compel employees to deal with things they don't want to deal with, so projects get worked on when employees are interested in working on them. The peer-review bonus structure further incentivizes doing work that impresses your fellow employees who are probably not all that concerned with minutiae that impact hardcore Steam users.

It feels like the point of the questions isn't to get answers or gain understanding, but rather to complain. Which is fine. But let's call a spade a spade. You want someone to tell Gabe he's doing it wrong. Many of us wouldn't disagree. I know I get exasperated when my Steam support tickets (which are largely well-specified bug reports) get ignored. But I'm not going to be less frustrated by Valve explaining their side. I know their side. It's a disagreement, not a misunderstanding.

Speaking of which, I have another bug report to file.
Experiments on what, bad monetization practices working? Is there any doubt they do? If the can sell cosmetics then surely people will pounce on other stuff. It's an experiment with a forgone conclusion: yes they'll sell and yes people will talk about it and wonder what the heck were they thinking.
I'm not up to date on these stuff but itsn't the CS:GO cooldown meter still present in those special maps? So here's an experiment that people raised their against but it's still there.

Regarding Steam, their behavior is hampering the service and product. Is that a trade-off they are willing to make? If so, then go on record about it and say 'we are fully aware our structure handicaps the development and maintenance of Steam but we like it that way and we can only say we're sorry if you feel the client isn't meeting all your needs and wants in a timely manner. Tough luck'.

Zeknurn

we'll see how it goes. unfortunately i reached my limit of 6. for the time being. i made one for you though. if someone dies you take their place. eventually i'll be able to get more than 6 and hopeful you all survive.

also sorry Lurker, i'm gonna have to make you your own person. i can't have Sid Meier running around the battlefield so early.

I'm expecting you to come in here and ask for five new volunteers when I'm the only one that survives the first mission.

This is a great idea btw.

ExoSoul

Banned
Whooohoooo! Looks like I'm assault/support.

-------

Guys Ibb & Obb for 1 localcurrency is a steal, two for 1 localcurrency is a must!
Also means I might get Gaf-Steam buddies to play Hammerwatch with =>

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I saw some reports of people having connection issues at launch, but it wasn't something I ever experienced. IIRC, there's no built-in VOIP though, so you'll need Mumble/Skype/Steam running for better communication.

Voicechat is no issue, thanks for the impressions! I think I'll grab that two pack since I've been needing some co-op in my life again.

Damn. The Order got shit on by reviewers. I didn't think it would be taht bad lol.

You have free games like DOTA2 which offers thousands of hours of multiplayer gameplay.

Japanese games like Dark Souls which offers hundreds of hours of singleplayer gameplay.

And than you get something like The Order. Which gives people a couple hours of boring gameplay for $60. I wonder why developers/directors do that? You know the trend and you know exactly what the majority of gamers want..yet you give them the exact opposite. Its really crazy what AAA gaming industry is turning into. Its actually kinda of sad.

RAD has made some excellent games in the past and i'm pretty sure they're not the types to set out and make some garbage just for the hope that they can make a quick buck.

This looks more like a Bioshock Infinite situation, where at some point deep cuts had to be made to the game and its features just to get something out of the door. In the case of bioshock, multiplayer modes were axed along with some segments of the game. Unlike BI, which suffered from mediocre shooting that was only further exacerbated by obvious attempts at filler to justify its existence (ruining its pacing along the way), it seems that we have a case here where the Order is a ~6 hour edited down experience with a significant chunk taken up by its cinematics.

My hope would be that RAD gets another shot at a major AAA game, whether it's the Order 2 or whatever, and that whatever development bumps and bruises they went through to get the Order out of the door are now over and done with. the last thing we need is another solid developer closing its doors because they could make that AAA dream come true.

xBladeM6x

Whooohoooo! Looks like I'm assault/support.

-------

Guys Ibb & Obb for 1 localcurrency is a steal, two for 1 localcurrency is a must!
Also means I might get Gaf-Steam buddies to play Hammerwatch with =>

Holy shit, Ibb & Obb double pack for $1 is a steal. Everyone buy it immediately, if only to just give it away. Lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
has there ever been anything official about Half Life 3 or just wishful thinking and tin foil hat shit?

Valve confirmed to the media that Episode Three was in development almost nine years ago now, but it has never officially acknowledged the existence of Half-Life 3. That being said, the JIRA leaks from 2013 confirmed it's an active project -- in the months between the two leaks, it went from having one general group to having that and a "core" group.

I can guarantee you when L4D3 becomes official and there's going to be interviews, among the first questions is going to be a "yeah yeah this is cool and all, but where's HL?" and you still won't get a satisfactory answer. Or if there won't be interviews, the articles covering the announcement will have a line about it, people on Steam forums, reddit, twitter, GAF will ask about it, and still nothing will happen.

Any Frozen Cortex impressions? Crazy to see the follow-up to Frozen Synapse come out of early access and not a GAF thread or published review in sight.

Yeah, what's up with this? Did the EA leave a bad taste in people's mouth or people never cared? I thought there was some excitement when it was announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom