• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBladeM6x

I've come to the conclusion that even though I'm really looking forward to GTA V on PC, I have near negative expectations of how it will run on even enthusiast build PCs. I'm expecting a day one Watch_Dogs port.

I think I'm too cynical. Lol

Grief.exe

I might have to watch that one, Hand of Fate looks very fun.

I've come to the conclusion that even though I'm really looking forward to GTA V on PC, I have near negative expectations of how it will run on even enthusiast build PCs. I'm expecting a day one Watch_Dogs port.

Depends on whether Rockstar wants to play ball. We either have something like the quality of Max Payne 3...or literally everything else. The optimistic side of me believes Rockstar has had a policy shift considering Max Payne 3 was their latest effort.

wilflare

Oh, I'm not going to buy the PS4 version. I don't think I'll ever buy a PS4 multiplat that's on the PC -- there's zero incentive for me to do so.

There were a few times while playing it (I finished it last night) that I thought "This would probably run better on PC*" due to a few slowdowns, some frame drops during action sequences, and some highly compressed videos.

* PC = one much better than mine, and apparently better than yours as well

I'm just a gamer. Though I prefer PC gaming, I have a growing and respectable PS4 collection.

i'm holding out for a good sale on Far Cry 4 on Steam
but the UPlay is really a bother

For some reason I'm almost certain that the port will be really good. I'm probably a fool, I know.

Saty

With GDC over the corner and Valve having a big presence and Gabe is going to be there -- who's going to grab him to ask and get question for the hard questions Valve largely ignored?

1. You emphasize on being open with fans and hold communication to be crucial. Do you believe there's any good reason to leave your fans hanging for 8 years regarding the next HL game? You haven't issued any official, head-on, no code-speak comment on the next HL installment for ages - how does that fly?

2. In the past you've said you don't want to talk about HL before you have something good to show because it will hurt the fans if you show a feature that doesn't make it to the final product or if you'll have to announce delays.
Isn't that too convenient a reason? If it's the best for fans then when not ask them? Run a survey on what development stage they would like to hear about your games and follow the results.

3. Any explanation or comments about the recent bad monetization practices in CS and Dota 2?

4. Will you still be making predominately SP games in 'traditional' fashion? You once stead the company's goal is to 'make players more productive'. What does that entail to regular SP projects?

5. Why is Steam's client and features development, especially in addressing to long-standing issues and requests, so slow? Why are you applying the same philosophy and structure of creative game making to day-by-day operations of the client and platform?

With GDC over the corner and Valve having a big presence and Gabe is going to be there -- who's going to grab him to ask and get question for the hard questions Valve largely ignored?

1. You emphasize on being open with fans and hold communication to be crucial. Do you believe there's any good reason to leave your fans hanging for 8 years regarding the next HL game? You haven't issued any official, head-on, no code-speak comment on the next HL installment for ages - how does that fly?

2. In the past you've said you don't want to talk about HL before you have something good to show because it will hurt the fans if you show a feature that doesn't make it to the final product or if you'll have to announce delays.
Isn't that too convenient a reason? If it's the best for fans then when not ask them? Run a survey on what development stage they would like to hear about your games and follow the results.

3. Any explanation or comments about the recent bad monetization practices in CS and Dota 2?

4. Will you still be making predominately SP games in 'traditional' fashion? You once stead the company's goal is to 'make players more productive'. What does that entail to regular SP projects?

5. Why is Steam's client and features development, especially in addressing to long-standing issues and requests, so slow? Why are you applying the same philosophy and structure of creative game making to day-by-day operations of the client and platform?

Ask him why they haven't reached out to JShackles (Enhanced Steam) to come work for Valve and implement his ideas into Steam

What do you think they'd even answer? Also I think the answers to those questions are kind of obvious.

Miguel81

Yeah, I'm glad I played Watch_Dogs much later on, and will probably be doing the same in case this is a weak port. Decent mods may take a while to appear so I'll be patient.

Are we sure Gabe is even going to be there? :p Also, no one is going to ask them about those, when the only thing Valve will be talking about is Steam Machines, VR and glNext. Or when asked they're just goign to dodge them. Last year RPS tried to poke them about their communicative ways, and they gave answers that pissed people even more off. No use grilling them really :|

xBladeM6x

For some reason I'm almost certain that the port will be really good. I'm probably a fool, I know.

I wish I had that level of optimism. Not to say it's misplaced, but my cynical ass is expecting it to run at 25 FPS at best, constant hitching and skipping, pop-in everywhere, crashes and glitches galore, no ability for modding, GTA Online to be essentially a hacker fest that is near unplayable just from a connection and stability perspective, and complete and total silence on the part of Rockstar when all of this is brought to their attention, thus leaving the game in an endless purgatory where it shall be remembered as the worst port of all time, and shame on the PC community for all of eternity.

Lol

Turfster

Daily Planet Explorers 50% off
Weekend
  • Space Engineer 40% off FREE WEEKEND
  • Overlord Franchise 75% off
  • Collar Duty Advanced Woofwear 34% off FREE WEEKEND

chronomac

Looks like Call of Duty is free to play this weekend, but none of the other games in the series are on sale (unless it hasn't updated yet).

iosefe

ok, who else wants to be in my squad of people that will die in XCOM?

i have some greenhorns and i have people already with classes. your choice

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I don't view these two as hard questions. I think the response should be "Go away and stop bothering me." I don't think fans are entitled to know what is and isn't being developed. I don't think Valve should be obligated to make Half-Life if they don't want to. I don't think these things are what people mean when they say "good communication". Good communication is keeping your customers informed about what they're paying for and what you expect them to pay for. If Valve was taking pre-orders for HL3 but not giving people information, people would have a right to be angry. Beyond that... like, it's not my business when Steven Spielberg is directing or whether Douglas Coupland is going to write a new book or if Brian May is writing any new songs. They don't owe me that, if they want to work in private, they can. If they want to work in public, they can. If they don't want to work at all, they can. I mean, yeah, I want them to work more, but I'm not going to cross the line from "I'd love it if he kept working" to "My past purchase of his products entitles me to pressure him on his future products".

These questions are more reasonable, because they are questions about products/services people are using on an ongoing basis, that they're contributing money to, and that they're impacted by. But I don't think you'll get answers, and I also feel like you already know the true answers: They as a company like experimenting with different monetization methods. They're widely lauded for the transition of TF2 to F2P. Dota 2 is generally well liked. They've continued to experiment, not every experiment is met with fan affirmation, and they take that stuff into account. It's pretty clear they want to see what people want to pay for, and what they don't. So the answer to "why'd you do this" is "we wanted to see what happened". And for the latter, it's because the company is obsessed with hiring genius mad scientists types and doesn't want to hire routine personnel taking care of putting out fires, daily maintenance. They don't want to compel employees to deal with things they don't want to deal with, so projects get worked on when employees are interested in working on them. The peer-review bonus structure further incentivizes doing work that impresses your fellow employees who are probably not all that concerned with minutiae that impact hardcore Steam users.

It feels like the point of the questions isn't to get answers or gain understanding, but rather to complain. Which is fine. But let's call a spade a spade. You want someone to tell Gabe he's doing it wrong. Many of us wouldn't disagree. I know I get exasperated when my Steam support tickets (which are largely well-specified bug reports) get ignored. But I'm not going to be less frustrated by Valve explaining their side. I know their side. It's a disagreement, not a misunderstanding.

Speaking of which, I have another bug report to file.

I think this is his profile, but it's private ofc :\
Heh, funny picture. I remember seeing it in a mag some years ago.

SuGRpmp.jpg

chronomac

I don't view these two as hard questions. I think the response should be "Go away and stop bothering me." I don't think fans are entitled to know what is and isn't being developed. I don't think Valve should be obligated to make Half-Life if they don't want to. I don't think these things are what people mean when they say "good communication". Good communication is keeping your customers informed about what they're paying for and what you expect them to pay for. If Valve was taking pre-orders for HL3 but not giving people information, people would have a right to be angry. Beyond that... like, it's not my business when Steven Spielberg is directing or whether Douglas Coupland is going to write a new book or if Brian May is writing any new songs. They don't owe me that, if they want to work in private, they can. If they want to work in public, they can. If they don't want to work at all, they can. I mean, yeah, I want them to work more, but I'm not going to cross the line from "I'd love it if he kept working" to "My past purchase of his products entitles me to pressure him on his future products".
I completely agree with all of this. People need to learn that they aren't owed anything just for liking something, especially in regards to a Half-Life sequel. They haven't spoken up because they aren't ready and people just need to learn to digest that and move on.

Looks like Call of Duty is free to play this weekend, but none of the other games in the series are on sale (unless it hasn't updated yet).
37.9GB download :(

Guess I'll enjoy about 2 hours of this Sunday afternoon...

Just saw on Twitter that RPS and PC Gamer are having a Dota 2 match tomorrow 2.30 UK time.

No, I just clicked on the Origin icon by mistake and it downloaded an update.
Of course, it's been a while since I opened it, so this might be up to a month old =p

No changes log that I can see.

It updated right before the Battlefield Hardline beta so I imagine it had something to do with that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Resident Evil 5 got a 101MB update. Is this the Steamworks patch already? Is the DLC included now?

It's not a patch, just a few redists. You'll see achievements for the game in the client but they're not publicly available yet.

Edit: It looks like Capcom made a new main content depot for the Steamworks version, which means people are going to have to re-download the whole game once the patch goes live.

21691 resident_evil_5_content 7.03 GB
21692 Resident Evil 5 (non-GFWL) 8.49 GB Encrypted

ExoSoul

Banned
ok, who else wants to be in my squad of people that will die in XCOM?

i have some greenhorns and i have people already with classes. your choice
Do I get to jump in? I may not be it yet but with a name like this I can assure you a psy officer (hopefully)

Edit: Take it one step further - inform people of their class and and let them be the ones to chose which skills they get ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom