• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
All these talks about spambot make me realize I haven't meet one for perhaps a month. Even before it wasn't that many, less than 1 per month. If I count it, I think the total is 5-6 bots. I always block rather than ignore though. What exactly did you guys do to get so much friend reqs from bot?

I wonder if country/region of origin has something to do.

For most people, it's having something of value in your Steam inventory, and your inventory set to be publicly visible. The bots are mostly targeting users with malware that lets the steal your Steam inventory through various exploits - so the more valuable your item(s), the bigger a target you are. For some people with expensive CS:GO knives and such, it's like walking down a shady alleyway while counting a wad of $100 bills - someone's going to try to mug you.

A lot of the bots parse data from places like TF2Outpost, CSGOlounge, and SteamTrades as a way to quickly see who has what. It's also a central repository of user names that's easy to scrape. And just like email spam, you can get put on "a list" as someone who has or once had something of value in your inventory and you'll stay on that list as it gets sold around to the various spammers.

It's definitely more of a problem for people who do a high volume of Steam marketplace trading, but lately even people with $5 worth of trading cards in their inventory are being targeted.

Vibranium

Banned
yeah, on top of that you'll be removing one aspect of roleplaying games

new vegas is not fallout 3 or skyrim

new vegas is an rpg

if you want to play a goofy walk-around-shooting-zombies-and-looting-shit game just play fallout 3

I really hope Bethesda got new writers for Fallout 4, and they were inspired by New Vegas. They definitely should rip a bunch of stuff from that game, dialogue/choices, factions and heavy RPG elements in particular. Gotta learn from Obsidian.

baterism

For most people, it's having something of value in your Steam inventory, and your inventory set to be publicly visible. The bots are mostly targeting users with malware that lets the steal your Steam inventory through various exploits - so the more valuable your item(s), the bigger a target you are. For some people with expensive CS:GO knives and such, it's like walking down a shady alleyway while counting a wad of $100 bills - someone's going to try to mug you.

A lot of the bots parse data from places like TF2Outpost, CSGOlounge, and SteamTrades as a way to quickly see who has what. It's also a central repository of user names that's easy to scrape. And just like email spam, you can get put on "a list" as someone who has or once had something of value in your inventory and you'll stay on that list as it gets sold around to the various spammers.

It's definitely more of a problem for people who do a high volume of Steam marketplace trading, but lately even people with $5 worth of trading cards in their inventory are being targeted.

Oh yeah that make sense. I think I usually got spambot when I have bunch of stuff (cards, foils) on my inventory after idling. I have sold majority of my cards so that might make me less interesting. I set my profile and inventory as public for TF2Outpost.

As for f2p items, I only has Dota2 items which my friend ask me to buy for them. They don't have credit card or steam wallet, so they pay cash to me. I have one dota2 treasure chest on my inventory, currently non-tradable because of 1 week trade restriction. The restriction will be raised several hours again. I will let it sit there for several days. Let's see if it will really attract bot.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
The dialogue and voices: Whew. The written dialogue is littered with grammatical errors and unnatural turns of phrase that once again mark a developer whose first language isn't English but can't bother to get someone to proofread. The voice actors, bless them, try their best to fix the mistakes when speaking them. If only the voice acting wasn't so badly recorded. I'm by no means an audiophile - I'm content with listening to mp3s at 128 kbps - but when even I can hear the background audio hisses and bad equalization, you KNOW they done fucked it up. Some voice actors do well - the protagonist is alright, and the bionic woman is passable, but a lot of the others just sound uncomfortable reading their dialogue. I'd say "if you can't do voice acting well, don't do it" but in this case I'd say it still improves the dialogue, because at least the voices are grammatically correct.

The length: I didn't save the game until the end of Chapter 3 - there are 4 chapters plus a prologue - so after attempting just about every branch from that point I got 9 out of 24 endings. The entire process took me 2 hours. The website claims that they recorded over 4 hours of dialogue, so assuming you skip all the dialogue you've already read, that's likely how long it will take you to see all the endings.

The verdict: a resounding "meh." I know it just sounds like I cut it down, but it's not terrible. It's just not all that good, either. If you're between games, you've got a couple of hours to kill, and you got the game in a bundle, I'd say why not. I wouldn't recommend you go out of your way to acquire and play it, and it's certainly not worth the full asking price of ten bucks. I've heard the sequel is better, so if you were a visual novel fan who came across Bionic Heart 2, that might be a reason to get this game. Otherwise, I'd say pass on it.

The Steam counter says I spent 4 hours getting all of the endings. However, I was skipping dialogue I already was familiar with in subsequent playthroughs.. The rest of your review is pretty similar to my own experiences with Bionic Heart. I hear the developer has moved onto a managerial position and is hiring writers for at least some of his new games.

I was doing New Vegas vanilla, because I can't be bothered for mods. Well, maybe mtui, but that's it.

come at me

I'm not playing it at all due to the gameplay mechanics being intolerable. The AI is nothing to be impressed about either.

zkylon

zkylewd
i really don't like the mistakes thing in hexcells

i get it that it's the only way to penalize you and tell you the answer but having to replay everything cos you did the wrong click (which for some reasons happens way too often for me) isn't so much fun

I really hope Bethesda got new writers for Fallout 4, and they were inspired by New Vegas. They definitely should rip a bunch of stuff from that game, dialogue/choices, factions and heavy RPG elements in particular. Gotta learn from Obsidian.
whatever bethesda makes is most certainly not gonna be a true fallout game so i couldn't care less

let them do their thing, they can add fart jokes and a nuclear frisbees and robot ponies (actually that sounds kind of awesome) for all i care

I'm not playing it at all due to the gameplay mechanics being intolerable. The AI is nothing to be impressed about either.
i mean i'll always have this argument about people putting roleplaying separate from "mechanics" or "gameplay".

siding with factions, taking on quests and solving them in different ways according to your build, exploring different areas designed specifically with different builds in mind, is all of this not "gameplay mechanics"?

or is it just the shooting that you don't like?

cos if you don't like that you can just set it to easy and enjoy one of the best rpgs of this era

When is Rezzed anyway? Isn't it like a week after GDC?

Regardless, it'll be a great week for me. I'm a VR enthusiast, and the more players in the space the better. I'm just hopeful all big devices will have a universal SDK, much like what OSVR wants to achieve. All else would quite simply be a catastrophic blow to VR and it's viability.

Really am interested to see what Valve does with VR though. I don't give a rats arse about their announcements anymore, but their hardware (... And software...) guys are geniuses, if not a little mad at that. I do legitimately expect to see L4D3 this year, but I'm not sure I actually care

Also the Steamcontroller I've tried was fucking great. The pads are really great, can't wait for it to be released. No more need for a 360 controller ;>

Anyways, I got slightly sidetracked, what I'm really the most interested in re: Valve's VR is input, we're yet to see someone come close to nailing it, and I can't help but hope Valve has some sort of possible solution.

GDC and Rezzed ahoy!

Yes, 2-6 GDC, 6-8 PAX East (Valve might not be there, but Chet likely will. He's always at these events.) and 12-14 Rezzed.

Which version did you try?

Vibranium

Banned
whatever bethesda makes is most certainly not gonna be a true fallout game so i couldn't care less

let them do their thing, they can add fart jokes and a nuclear frisbees and robot ponies (actually that sounds kind of awesome) for all i care

Huh, I'm still excited for Fallout 4, even while being a massive New Vegas fan. What can I say, I love the universe, even if it doesn't end up being a true RPG.

Besides, I can see Obsidian being given another shot at Fallout after, so the thought of them with a better engine and more time makes me even more excited.

PARANO1A

Good games for free. Yay.

ModBot said:
Instructions for PARANO1A:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PARANO1A, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

A Bird Story -- MB-19014DEA6DC04105 - Taken by agniswarm. 8 entrants total.
Silence of the Sleep -- MB-713BD5F93CC14A54 - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon. 3 entrants total.
Blazblue: Calamity Trigger -- MB-BCC322247A637468 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 8 entrants total.
Double Dragon: Neon -- MB-41383C6C5A78161C - Taken by Servizio. 17 entrants total.

t1424948474z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
hexcells plus is hard mode for sure -__-

Huh, I'm still excited for Fallout 4, even while being a massive New Vegas fan. What can I say, I love the universe, even if it doesn't end up being a true RPG.

Besides, I can see Obsidian being given another shot at Fallout after, so the thought of them with a better engine and more time makes me even more excited.
would be nice if obs got to make one

that's about it for me

Shadownet

Banned
Nothing feels better than sitting at your desk at 2:30 am, modding your game. Then realizing that you have to wake up at 7am for class.

Hurry up and get to bed. Checked Facebook before going to sleep and see that someone posted "Delayed opening tomorrow until 11am"

Meaning, no classes tomorrow.

#DatFeel

oh Facepunch, you can be so funny

I don't give a god-damn fuck how broad their horizons are, they're a video game company that made 2 games that revolutionized FPS games and they're, as far as anyone can tell, doing jack shit with the finale of the series, and they have been for 7 years

In this case "broadening their horizons" is "Making shit nobody wants"

Oculus is making a VR headset, Steam machines are superfluous garbage, the steam controller's slowly turning into a knockoff of the 360 pad. Nothing they're doing is needed, wanted, or panning out. They need to focus on what actually got them their fame and make some fucking games

Just please give the gamers what they want...

...games.

I just don't care anymore, Valve used to keep me cemented in PC gaming but I've seen more engaging IPs come out of Sony in a more successful rate than Valve.

Let's face it, if HL2:E3/HL3 ever does come out and it's not just quietly cancelled after several more years of radio silence, it's not going to have been worth waiting for. Even if doesn't turn out to be a relic whose time has long passed like DNF did (though I fully expect that to be the case), it's not gonna have the impact HL1 or HL2 did.

You gotta realize, we're going on eight years now with nothing. That's not counting from the original HL2 at this point, that's from Episode Two. TF2 took nine. That's been Valve's longest wait and the new Half-Life is almost certainly going to overtake it - do you think they're going to announce it only right before they release it? Hell no. They're going to have a huge build-up like Portal 2 did, if not bigger, and Portal 2 took more than a year between initial announcement and release. We've got until the end of 2016 to not break TF2's record, for something they initially promised would only take a few months. There's no longer the "oh, stop worrying and look how long TF2 took" excuse people have been parroting for years. Time hasn't frozen; said years of excuses - in their passing - have just seen us inch ever-closer, and we're now coming up on that interval.

And let me ask you something: what's the threshold of time you're going to consider it not worth it anymore, huh? TF2 took nine years. DNF took twelve. What's it gonna take for people to finally stop clinging to Half-Life? Fifteen? Twenty?

Valve Time has long-stopped being acceptable. It was already annoying - if somewhat forgivable - that they could never meet deadlines even when they put out good stuff. They've never had a good work ethic and it's always served to demonstrate that they can only reach this mythical "Valve quality" when given way more slack in their schedule than we'd find it acceptable to give any other company. But what has it been since 2011? Microtransactions, a stupid MOBA that isn't even their IP, a Linux branch no one cares about, a controller that sacrificed anything unique to ape the 360, a bunch of under-powered, overpriced living-room PCs, and ever-withering support for every game that isn't DotA. Hell, look back far enough, and the writing's been on the wall ever since the Sniper vs. Spy update in mid-2009.

A few years ago, people were already angry that all they seemed to focus on was TF2 anymore, but hell - I'd love for those days back at least. At least then we wouldn't still only be two-thirds of the way through a comic series that was supposed to be finished over half a year ago.

But no, everyone keep waiting for OUYA 2.0 and DNF Strikes Back. Oh, and let's not forget: the inevitable The International 5 announcement. Because that's what's important. Another stupid eSports event in a toxic fad genre.

Can't wait for next week!

PARANO1A

• GRID 1, 2, AutoSport
  • Dirt 3 (GFWL is being removed on March 4th, so wait until then. All DLC included)
  • Blur (If you're looking for something more like Mario Kart, though it's not on Steam)
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Distance
That's a good list. If you had to pick one...?

Nothing feels better than sitting at your desk at 2:30 am, modding your game. Then realizing that you have to wake up at 7am for class.

Hurry up and get to bed. Checked Facebook before going to sleep and see that someone posted "Delayed opening tomorrow until 11am"

Meaning, no classes tomorrow.

#DatFeel

Nothing better than waking up for a 9AM class which turns out to be cancelled and missing out on another three hours of sleep.

Deques

360fx360f

How come this card is so expensive compared to the other cards? It cost almost 8 times more than the other. Is it the cleavage?

Deques

Looks like the selling price is not what people buy at. Just saw that recently sold are much lower than the selling price. I just put a buy order, and hopefully I get my red haired lady :)

PARANO1A

ModBot said:
Instructions for PARANO1A:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PARANO1A, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

vRvbDCu.png
Syndicate (Origin) -- MB-DE0ABA81B4DB5362 - Taken by bobnowhere. 8 entrants total.

t1424955554z1.png
I caved and grabbed a fake US address for the two pack.

Edit: LOL at the image.

Shadownet

Banned
So a girl told me yesterday that from the outside it look like I'm pretty unapproachable because my face is always so grim.

I'm just like.... :/

That's just my normal face.. Its like girls with permanent bitch face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom