• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiru

lol was that a reference??
Yes

8e0z0YC.gif

Tizoc

lol at that "UC4 - biggest game of the year" thread

just lol

for PS4 people it certainly is, not even lol
Several of my friends await it like it is second coming or something. (><)

Pfft anyone with actual appreciation of gameplay knows Ryu ga Gotoku Zero/Yakuza 0rigins is the biggest game of the year.
Uncharted'll be a fun romp, but if you can do HALF the stuff you could do in RgG 0 then maybe it'll be worth a blip on the radar of 'hot stuff releasing this year'.

zkylon

zkylewd
The DLCs aren't needed at all. What could be missing are the new heist dlcs. But those can be played if the host has them, so those aren't required. But if you want to solo the heists on your own then you must buy these dlcs
i can't imagine soloing being too much fun

you do miss some weapons classes and crap but it's not too bad

Deques

i can't imagine soloing being too much fun

you do miss some weapons classes and crap but it's not too bad

I soloed a few heists myself, even though I had some AI heisters with me. Most of the soloing are just me trying to unlock some achievements and grinding for levels

Arthea

Pfft anyone with actual appreciation of gameplay knows Ryu ga Gotoku Zero/Yakuza 0rigins is the biggest game of the year.
Uncharted'll be a fun romp, but if you can do HALF the stuff you could do in RgG 0 then maybe it'll be worth a blip on the radar of 'hot stuff releasing this year'.

can't agree with you here, GOTY is definitely Trails SC, especially considering how long and hopelessly we waited for it ;)

edited: btw, in couple of weeks Trails SC will be 9 years old!

Dr Dogg

I wonder how you would actually quantify what the biggest game of the year would be in a objective sense without being privy to all the data and projections of each and every title to be launched. Even then thing's can go belly up from a bad launch and word of mouth and conversely can go the other way if a sleeper hit comes out of the left field. Subjectively anything could be the biggest game of the year depending on what you're tastes are, even Bad Rats 2!

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I wonder how you would actually quantify what the biggest game of the year would be in a objective sense without being privy to all the data and projections of each and every title to be launched. Even then thing's can go belly up from a bad launch and word of mouth and conversely can go the other way if a sleeper hit comes out of the left field. Subjectively anything could be the biggest game of the year depending on what you're tastes are, even Bad Rats 2!

I'm sure Rad Bats 2 is turfster's GOTY ... I mean - he has to like some games ... right? ;)

Arthea

HexcellsGAF, help?
hexclcsu8b.png

What am I missing here? Doesn't seem like I'm able to mark any of the hexes in this configuration...

you disappoint me... column with 2 you marked as done is not done, there are 2 blue hexes there already, meaning all others are black

edited: 3 left one of blue six in the middle are black.

That's not how it works, GOTY is a very private thing, why would I consider games I don't plan even playing
like UC4, for example
. Ya, even Bad Rats 2 can be someones GOTY, forgot the name of that person that was obsessed by Bad Rats and sometimes posted here.

Dr Dogg

I'm sure Rad Bats 2 is turfster's GOTY ... I mean - he has to like some games ... right? ;)

Well if you pop Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Halo 5, The Witcher III and Bad Rats 2 into Goggle Trends Halo 5 comes out on top with The Witcher III in second whilst Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne tie for 4th (though bloodborne diseases could be skewing that). sadly Rad Bat's get's barely a mention :(

That's not how it works, GOTY is a very private thing, why would I consider games I don't plan even playing
like UC4, for example
. Ya, even Bad Rats 2 can be someones GOTY, forgot the name of that person that was obsessed by Bad Rats and sometimes posted here.

No silly. There's a thread about an article on Games Radar that has the headline 'Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - the story behind the biggest game of the year'. Now the article is actually by Edge and it's a preview article from a visit they made to Naughty Dog but is more a long the lines of sound bites of interviews they conducted than any hands on impressions. My rhetorical question was how can you declare something the biggest of the year without first experiencing everything the year would have to offer, even more so when most of this years titles are still in development. Now sure you can be subjective about it and call it the biggest game of the year for me but yet again that's casting judgement a little early in the year with plenty more titles to be finished and released let alone officially announced. If you want to be objective about it and say the biggest game of the year based of social metrics or sales forecasts one that's a fucking huge amount of data to sift through to declare the biggest game and two even then to gain credibility to your claim you'd have to show the data to the reader.

Long story short it's marketing guff that we've all seen 1,000's of times before.

OK, Revelations 2 is officially great. Really enjoying it.

My temporary solution for the frame-rate issues is to lock the game at 30. At least this way there are no drops and the game is playable, 60 is just all over the place on AMD cards.

I also finally finished upgrading my PC, I was worried I wouldn't be able to scrap the cash together in time for TW3 so that's a relief, had to buy used but fortunately everything's working perfectly.

Arthea

Well if you pop Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Halo 5, The Witcher III and Bad Rats 2 into Goggle Trends Halo 5 comes out on top with The Witcher III in second whilst Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne tie for 4th (though bloodborne diseases could be skewing that). sadly Rad Bat's get's barely a mention :(

There is a good chance that will be UC4, I mean media GOTY, not mine. I don't see Halo 5 taking it, not gonna happen. (><)
Bad Rats 2 will be close
in sales at least

My temporary solution for the frame-rate issues is to lock the game at 30. At least this way there are no drops and the game is playable, 60 is just all over the place on AMD cards.

I also finally finished upgrading my PC, I was worried I wouldn't be able to scrap the cash together in time for TW3 so that's a relief, had to buy used but fortunately everything's working perfectly.

I was waiting for post like this, although Jasec mentioning AssUni would have been good to, because I wanted to post this pic (><)

MadGear

Wow, another Warhammer (40k) game got announced? That license spreads faster than the Tyranids.
Well at least there should be a few quality titles among them (not saying that the recent one isnt), among others the official announcement of that Total WARhammer game shouldn't be too far off now. However sadly there is still no sign of the Warhammer games I would be interested in the most (Dawn of War 3 and Space Marine 2) :/

Phinor

Space Rangers HD is on sale at humble bundle for 3.74..tempted to buy it. Have never played it before. Good game?

Space Rangers 2 used to be an excellent game (that most people never knew about) but I've no idea if it still impresses in 2015. The HD remaster certainly helps and Steam reviews are at 95% positive, 5% negative so I'd say go for it at that price if it looks interesting.

Sarcasm

Space Rangers 2 used to be an excellent game (that most people never knew about) but I've no idea if it still impresses in 2015. The HD remaster certainly helps and Steam reviews are at 95% positive, 5% negative so I'd say go for it at that price if it looks interesting.

Space Rangers 2? Is this the second? Is that the newest?

Dr Dogg

The early section of Claire's chapter were the worst for me though it evened itself out during the later half and Barry's chapter was peachy (despite visiting similar areas of Claire's without any issues) but Raid mode is a whole different story. The 2 RE6 maps where there are fire effects just cripples the engine down to half speed but I still get a stable 60fps, 16.7ms update and only slightly higher GPU and CPU use. It's like the engine itself is having issues rendering those effects. Apparently the first Revelations map with snow is the same way.

It's certainly not an AMD contained thing as I've tried it on 2 PC's with Nvidia cards and same results. Couple that with the only way I can get Raid mode to launch is the disconnect my internet connection I'd say there's a fair amount of work to do to iron out these kinks.

Despite that really enjoyed the SP and looking forwards to next week's instalment.

Arthea

No silly. There's a thread about an article on Games Radar that has the headline 'Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - the story behind the biggest game of the year'. Now the article is actually by Edge and it's a preview article from a visit they made to Naughty Dog but is more a long the lines of sound bites of interviews they conducted than any hands on impressions. My rhetorical question was how can you declare something the biggest of the year without first experiencing everything the year would have to offer, even more so when most of this years titles are still in development. Now sure you can be subjective about it and call it the biggest game of the year for me but yet again that's casting judgement a little early in the year with plenty more titles to be finished and released let alone officially announced. If you want to be objective about it and say the biggest game of the year based of social metrics or sales forecasts one that's a fucking huge amount of data to sift through to declare the biggest game and two even then to gain credibility to your claim you'd have to show the data to the reader.

Long story short it's marketing guff that we've all seen 1,000's of times before.

that's simple, they aren't considering any other game, because they don't care, as I said. They are people too, unless you insist that only zombies work for Edge.
sorry, I had to (><)

Dr Dogg

that's simple, they aren't considering any other game, because they don't care, as I said. They are people too, unless you insist that only zombies work for Edge.
sorry, I had to (><)

But that just show's poor reasoning from the author and a lack of foresight to see what more is on offer. As I said there's no impressions on the game it's just interview so that brings the claim in the headline into even more question. I'd like to know why it would be considered the biggest game of the year and 'just because' sorry doesn't cut it for me. You could probably get away with 'One of the biggest' as you're factoring in how things can change or something might crop up on the horizon among other possibilities but as I said it's just physiological tricks of the mind to get the reader into the mindset that said title is the biggest title of the year. Not that it always works mind but these are the little seeds that marketing campaigns try to plant in many different ways and from many different angles. Did the author select the headline or was it a sub editor? Who knows but when something like this comes from a third party who you would expect to be impartial and unbiased it comes across more advertorial than editorial and I see shit loads of both of those daily. But hey that's about every preview interview in entertainment reporting from the year dot.

Deques

wow that's bad ass

tempted to order one

it's so cheap

Bad ass, isn't it? I want to buy one for fighting games, but I want to know if it's good. Me and my brother played Super Street Fighter 4, (it's great that we can disable dlcs, since my brother doesn't have Ultra SF4), yesterday and we both thought that the xbox 360 isn't good for fighting games.

Tizoc

can't agree with you here, GOTY is definitely Trails SC, especially considering how long and hopelessly we waited for it ;)

edited: btw, in couple of weeks Trails SC will be 9 years old!

I'll concede defeat in this case my good fellow.

yup, it happened as I thought, Way of the Samurai 4 has now March for release date instead of Februrary, no day still
http://store.steampowered.com/app/312780/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_4

edited: not afraid of PoE, are they? (><)

Cool, as I said, let them take their time a good port is worth the wait.

Lomax

What's everyone's opinion on this controller?

From everything I've heard, all of the SNES style usb controllers are extremely flimsy compared to the real thing, and thus they break easily and just feel "wrong." Supposedly it's fairly easy to take a real one and wire it to a usb connector, but I've never tried doing it myself.

Deques

I have heard positive things about the Buffalo USB SNES controller though. Maybe check out the Saturn USB controllers too if you want it specifically for fighting games.

Thanks for the tip. The buffalo controllers seems to be too expensive just for fighting games, but the look on it seems to be more authentic SNES controller.
Is there any good saturn usb controller?

From everything I've heard, all of the SNES style usb controllers are extremely flimsy compared to the real thing, and thus they break easily and just feel "wrong." Supposedly it's fairly easy to take a real one and wire it to a usb connector, but I've never tried doing it myself.

My brother ordered an adapter today, he already has the real controllers

Arthea

When I think about it March is pretty packed, PoE and WotS4, not to mention DoA5, Princess Evangile and Gurumin and I'm sure I forgetting something.

Uzzy

Just finished Company of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault. RTS single player campaigns are usually a bit naff, but Relic have put together a really good campaign here thanks to the addition of a metamap of the Ardennes. It's divided into sectors full of Germans, forcing you into some strategic choices of where to attack and with which company as you liberate the area and eventually drive through the Siegfried Line. There's a wonderful persistence to your three companies, meaning that you can win a battle but fatally weaken your own troops, causing big problems for you in future.

I'm hoping that Relic expand and improve upon this formula in their future games. We could finally see RTS campaigns become interesting!

By biggest they probably don't mean sales. We all know CoD is still going to be that (especially since Treyarch is doing it this year), Fifa, and probably Battlefront after all the Star Wars hype. So, by biggest I think they mean anticipation, hype, possible GotY accolades etc, and this is Naughty Dog's next game, the current most respected and praised dev. But as you said it's silly. We're still in February, a lot can happen, a lot of things aren't finalized. What if Bethesda announces Fallout 4 this E3 as a November release? Oops.

rtcn63

Stupid PC question- if you block Firefox from accessing public networks or whatever, should your add-ons still work? I restarted Firefox recently, and any add-on that allows me to download stuff is broken. If it's just because of an update, I don't mind waiting.

Pakkidis

I get random people who want to be friends with me. I have no idea who they are, leave no messages but judging from their account they look legit... does this happen to anybody else? Should I accept or ignore?

AHA-Lambda

When I think about it March is pretty packed, PoE and WotS4, not to mention DoA5, Princess Evangile and Gurumin and I'm sure I forgetting something.

Yeah March is always busy now it seems. Personally I have:

Bloodborne
Hotline Miami 2
Pillars of Eternity
The remaining episodes for Resi Rev 2
New episodes for Life is Strange and Dreamfall Chapters
New DLC for Alien Isolation and The Evil Within

Lomax

I've always felt like gated content was the best way to do single-player f2p, if you love the game and want more, you buy it, if you don't, you move on. Personally I think Path of Exile would have been better off long term with a system like that as well. Honestly I think it's a delusion that pure cosmetics will sustain most games, and hard gates are much more "fair" than systems designed to exploit whales and manipulate players. Will be interesting to see how this does.

I get random people who want to be friends with me. I have no idea who they are, leave no messages but judging from their account they look legit... does this happen to anybody else? Should I accept or ignore?

Ignore. Probably legit accounts who have been phished and botted.

_hekk05

Banned
Oh boy. I've got bloodborne and helldivers incoming in march, along with possibly hotline miami 2 and MGS V if kojima doesn't play us like a damn fiddle.

That's not including my ateliers, my disgaeas, my danganronpas, my trails and my nep neps.

And my crushing addiction to dota, my ongoing dont starve together playthrough, and my clan's decision to start playing rust.

milena87

Games I intend to play in March - April:
- new episodes for Dreamfall Chapters and Life Is Strange
- Pillars of Eternity
- at least 1 of the games from my backlog (Tropico 4&5, Cognition, Blackwell games, Alien Isolation)

Then May should be all about The Witcher. I want to get all the achievements in Witcher 2 and re-read some of the books :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom