• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just sold my first normal drop for 0,60€.
Money.gif

AHA-Lambda

Hmm, seeing some interesting things on reddit regarding the new Dark Souls 2 patch

BIG SPOILER BELOW

the new NPC is also the new final boss after Nashandra.

Telltale better take notes

I think a lot of people do, but given the niche they've filled and that no other developer does, and how often you see on gaming side or other forums, "Popular franchise X should get a Telltale game!" it makes me realize that Telltale doesn't have to do more than provide a bare-bones barely-functioning game to placate people. And that's sad because they should be taking more pride in their products.

Milamber

How's everyone doing? Nep Nep finally got cards! Time to idle. Grow Home looks great. Tempted to buy it, buuuuuut...

I just went to the mechanics to get my tires and oil changed. Mechanic left my driver's side door open when he lifted it. He lowered my open car door onto a work bench. Great. They will repair/replace it. but it will take 4 days. Fuckers won't even give me a rental. I told them to fix it and I will not pay for the new oil and tires too because of the damned inconvenience.

Turfster

I think a lot of people do, but given the niche they've filled and that no other developer does, and how often you see on gaming side or other forums, "Popular franchise X should get a Telltale game!" it makes me realize that Telltale doesn't have to do more than provide a bare-bones barely-functioning game to placate people. And that's sad because they should be taking more pride in their products.

Hopefully, Dontnod proved that this kind of story adventure gameplay doesn't need to automatically go to Telltale any more, which would either a) allow more people to get in on it b) get Telltale to pull their thumb out of their asses and fix their broke-ass engine.

AHA-Lambda

New DLC for Binding of Isaac, NOT Rebirth but the original version

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/04/binding-of-isaac-dlc/#more-268011

What??

Can you
fight him
?

I haven't tried personally yet, but he can be fought. It seems if you've already defeated Nashandra before you'll need to use a Bonfire Ascetic and redo Nashandra and Throne Watcher and Defender.

Tbh, sounds like a pain in the arse, not sure I can be bothered; may just youtube it.

EDIT: forgot to say apparently there is also a
new ending too

is there any point to buying games with keys anymore? Sorry if this is annoying. Is it recommended messing with game activation over VPN?

Kiru

I just went to the mechanics to get my tires and oil changed. Mechanic left my driver's side door open when he lifted it. He lowered my open car door onto a work bench. Great. They will repair/replace it. but it will take 4 days. Fuckers won't even give me a rental. I told them to fix it and I will not pay for the new oil and tires too because of the damned inconvenience.

Some real pros right there, lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
Life is Strange got another patch, mostly to fix booting and graphics problems.

maybe they will add lipsynch?

i don't really mind it too much but since it's such a dialogue heavy game it's just very weird-looking

like even deus ex had some sort of lipsynch

Vibranium

Banned
Right, I'm sorry I took so long to give away this game, but I've been having a lot of monitor/computer problems. Good luck and enjoy the game, whoever the winner is!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vibranium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Resident Evil HD Remaster -- MB-A515B00A86C84B73 - Taken by Bayonetta. 90 entrants total.

t1423164573z1.png

Hopefully, Dontnod proved that this kind of story adventure gameplay doesn't need to automatically go to Telltale any more, which would either a) allow more people to get in on it b) get Telltale to pull their thumb out of their asses and fix their broke-ass engine.

Well I'd prefer that "story adventure gameplay" added more "adventure" to it and bring it back to its roots. I'd rather solve puzzles than play a choose your own adventure game, especially when all the choices lead back to the same points. That said, Life is Strange might be a good start for competition, but what they need is for someone in mainstream media to take notice of them. It won't mean a thing if they make solid adventures but everyone still goes to Telltale to make a game for their franchise.

Turfster

Well I'd prefer that "story adventure gameplay" added more "adventure" to it and bring it back to its roots. I'd rather solve puzzles than play a choose your own adventure game, especially when all the choices lead back to the same points. That said, Life is Strange might be a good start for competition, but what they need is for someone in mainstream media to take notice of them. It won't mean a thing if they make solid adventures but everyone still goes to Telltale to make a game for their franchise.

Well yes, but people don't seem to want "adventure" games in the old sense any more (or half the companies that make them make horrible, shoddy things that were reviled even in the 90s for broken gameplay), so I'll take whatever I can get... and Life is Strange is great at what it sets out to do.

Agree on the mainstream noticing Life is Strange. I've tried to do my part (and got quite a few people to buy it), but you'd think its aesthetic would be perfect for the more indie corner of mainstream, like Sundance.

Nabs

Yep, this is just ridicoulous. Now I'm really curious to see what white knights will say (because it's a flash game, you can't add other things, they added all they can with lamb of wrath etc. etc.)

All he did was alter enemy AI and make them harder. I don't get the outrage.

Yep, this is just ridicoulous. Now I'm really curious to see what white knights will say (because it's a flash game, you can't add other things, they added all they can with lamb of wrath etc. etc.)

That's not what white knight means, and those statements came from the devs themselves.

Grief.exe

I wouldn't really say it's insanity, obviously done to mitigate risk on Square's part. Microsoft gives them a truckload of money up front for the exclusive rights, which puts Square-Enix squarely in the black up front with the release.
In business, money up front is always better than money later especially when Tomb Raider is seen as a risky proposition in Square's eyes. Gives them more liquidity for future investments.

With that said, the development of the sequel should be significantly cheaper as they already have the engine, pipeline, general gameplay, and assets created from the first release. Will Square generate more revenue on the back-end with a multiplatform release? Undoubtedly, but the company is already floundering with many massive projects already ongoing, its good to have something to fall back on now.

I do have a bone to pick with the article.

PCs are impossible to count, but the general rule of a cross-platform release is that the PC version will make up between 5 and 10% of the overall sales.

Maybe for releases such as Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty that firmly target the mainstream audience and have yearly barely-iterative releases. Going by sales numbers released and estimated through Ars-Technica, it would seem the PC either matches or exceeds the console numbers for many AAA releases, and massively exceeds its console counterparts in indie releases.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dream of Mirror Online Closed Beta -- MB-598A3E18ED50580B

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I might need to rip everything from Life is Strange and make it a sandbox game lol.
YL0v1lK.jpg

Credit to jediyoshi and brau.

Knurek

Maybe for releases such as Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty that firmly target the mainstream audience and have yearly barely-iterative releases. Going by sales numbers released and estimated through Ars-Technica, it would seem the PC either matches or exceeds the console numbers for many AAA releases, and massively exceeds its console counterparts in indie releases.

Thing is, we don't have much relevant data here.
There's a indie developer here and there sharing their information, there's NPD which is a) regional, b) not taking into account digital sales, and... what, chartz? :)

And I would argue any amount of money MS gave Squeenix would offset loosing 60-75% of day one sales. Especially considering how fast SE devalues its games.

Well yes, but people don't seem to want "adventure" games in the old sense any more (or half the companies that make them make horrible, shoddy things that were reviled even in the 90s for broken gameplay),.

I would argue that the Broken Age kickstarter proves otherwise. The publishers agreed with you: they thought that people don't want adventure games anymore. But adventure fans backed Tim Schafer. They also backed Broken Sword 5. They backed Cognition. Heck, they backed a Leisure Suit Larry remake. And sure, there were some adventure games from prominent designers that didn't pan out (like the Two Guys from Andromeda one) but there are fans out there who will look for good adventures, and put their money where their mouth is when it comes to that.

Does that mark a revolution, and a resurgence in old-school adventures? No. But I wouldn't say it's totally dead either.

I wouldn't really say it's insanity, obviously done to mitigate risk on Square's part. Microsoft gives them a truckload of money up front for the exclusive rights, which puts Square-Enix squarely in the black up front with the release.
In business, money up front is always better than money later especially when Tomb Raider is seen as a risky proposition in Square's eyes. Gives them more liquidity for future investments.

With that said, the development of the sequel should be significantly cheaper as they already have the engine, pipeline, general gameplay, and assets created from the first release. Will Square generate more revenue on the back-end with a multiplatform release? Undoubtedly, but the company is already floundering with many massive projects already ongoing, its good to have something to fall back on now.

Also, if you're Square Enix and your latest Tomb Raider is about to launch alongside Uncharted 4 on the PS4 you're just looking at that and saying NOPE.

So they get the money from MS for the temp exclusive, the marketing push from MS to help it stand toe to toe on the XB1 with Uncharted 4 on the PS4 during the holiday season, AND you then get to release the same game on the PS4/PC months after that completely avoiding what would've likely have been a terrible launch on the PS4 and likely pulling off more sales during the spring and summer doldrums than if it had tried to come out on that platform during the holidays.

Really, it's a pretty damn smart over overall.

AHA-Lambda

Sounds like there are conflicting reports about
the new final boss
in Dark Souls 2 post patch.

some people can't get him to trigger, seems like a combination of doing the DLC, killing Nashandra and dealing with Vendrick. But some have done all of those and still can't fight him.
=/

Turfster

Does that mark a revolution, and a resurgence in old-school adventures? No. But I wouldn't say it's totally dead either.

Never said adventure gaming was dead, but...
Broken Age was meh and hardly a proper adventure game (so far, since it's not even finished yet), Broken Sword 5 was also met with a resounding shrugging of shoulders by the people that had been looking forward to it and if you've played indie stuff like AR-K...
If you haven't, don't, because it's all that was wrong with the first generation of P&C gaming reborn, with a shoddier wrapping and more broken story.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I would argue that the Broken Age kickstarter proves otherwise. The publishers agreed with you: they thought that people don't want adventure games anymore. But adventure fans backed Tim Schafer. They also backed Broken Sword 5. They backed Cognition. Heck, they backed a Leisure Suit Larry remake. And sure, there were some adventure games from prominent designers that didn't pan out (like the Two Guys from Andromeda one) but there are fans out there who will look for good adventures, and put their money where their mouth is when it comes to that.

I'd like to think that Daedalic and other publishers who specialize in releasing adventure games would also show that there is a market, even if it isn't a million seller one.

Much in the same vein as adventure games, horror has suffered from being pushed away by publishers as being difficult to sell. In the most recent NightCry development, director Hifumi Kono stated that he tried selling his horror game to many publishers, but none were interested unless they could find a way to make it a million seller.

Publishers are quick to wave away a lot of risk, which is understandable seeing as they are a business. But it sucks for creators and more niche genres like Adventure games because they could potentially benefit from larger budgets and access to more resources.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm ok with Tomb Raider since it's only a temporary exclusive. I can wait for the superior edition.

Games that should never have been exclusive (as in would have had no issues being funded or hitting sales targets) and will be exclusive forever are the worst though.

I'd like to think that Daedalic and other publishers who specialize in releasing adventure games would also show that there is a market, even if it isn't a million seller one.

I decided to shy away from that argument because I know Turfster's feelings about Daedalic. :)

Much in the same vein as adventure games, horror has suffered from being pushed away by publishers as being difficult to sell. In the most recent NightCry development, director Hifumi Kono stated that he tried selling his horror game to many publishers, but none were interested unless they could find a way to make it a million seller.

Horror? Geez, you can't swing a dead cat these days without hitting a horror indie developer. It's like half the indie games being released now have horror elements, with zombie this and animatronic that. Horror is the new puzzle platformer go-to for indie developers. Maybe nothing AAA has happened, but it has a strong undercurrent with smaller budgets.

Phawx

NMVe support is gaining traction:

Support for PCIe NVMe Storage devices will be enabled in 13.1 RST release.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I decided to shy away from that argument because I know Turfster's feelings about Daedalic. :)

Horror? Geez, you can't swing a dead cat these days without hitting a horror indie developer. It's like half the indie games being released now have horror elements, with zombie this and animatronic that. Horror is the new puzzle platformer go-to for indie developers. Maybe nothing AAA has happened, but it has a strong undercurrent with smaller budgets.

Well, that's more what I'm aiming at - the big, AAA type development. Pet projects done in Unity will be a fun little romp for streamers and youtubers, but they hardly have proper impact. I'm trying to think of a studio that quite has the backing like DONTNOD has for Life is Strange - they've got Squeenix on their side even if the production is hardly AAA. Frictional is really the only horror-oriented development house that comes to mind that has much "pull" in the business sense. EA, Ubisoft and the like just aren't interested.

Well, that's more what I'm aiming at - the big, AAA type development. Pet projects done in Unity will be a fun little romp for streamers and youtubers, but they hardly have proper impact. I'm trying to think of a studio that quite has the backing like DONTNOD has for Life is Strange - they've got Squeenix on their side even if the production is hardly AAA. Frictional is really the only horror-oriented development house that comes to mind that has much "pull" in the business sense. EA, Ubisoft and the like just aren't interested.

Given how well Evil Within sold I'd say they've got some pull with Bethesda, too. But i guess that all depends on whether you consider that a true horror game or not.

Alien Iso also seems to have done well enough for Sega to come out and celebrate its sales, though given that Sega seems to be backing away from the console market I wonder if they'll even bother with a follow up.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Given how well Evil Within sold I'd say they've got some pull with Bethesda, too. But i guess that all depends on whether you consider that a true horror game or not.

Alien Iso also seems to have done well enough for Sega to come out and celebrate its sales, though given that Sega seems to be backing away from the console market I wonder if they'll even bother with a follow up.

I've seen some mixed reports on TEW's reception as a whole, outside of "this is a Mikami joint". Alien: Isolation was certainly a favorite of mine last year, but I wonder how much of an impact it will have on other publishers being more accepting of horror games. Time will tell, I suppose.

NightCry sitting at 18% funded with 18 days left :| Go fund it please

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry

Pretty please? <3

zkylon

zkylewd
NightCry sitting at 18% funded with 18 days left :| Go fund it please

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry

aw that's disappointing

i wonder if it would do better if it was just pc exclusive

Pledge $5 or more

25 backers

Forum Access

You will receive access to the exclusive backer forum, AND will also be included in the official backer credits on the official website!

Lol, why I need to pay 5$, not having basically nothing except a forum access, with my name not in the game, but on a site that will probably go down at some point in the future?
to support the game?

you have the wrong mindset for kickstarter

your #1 goal should be to help the game get made. the goodies are just a nice extra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom