• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
i actually like scores quite a bit but the whole metacritic disease means that as much as i find scores useful, the world would just be better place without them

Is there really a solution? Greenlight would have worked as intended, if not "free keys for voting" and that was unavoidable unfortunately. I don't see a way around it. Opening flood gates, means just that, flood, otoh situation isn't that different today. Only... not all games get greenlit, inspite of popular belief.
I tried to make Valve's work and come up with solution and I failed. It's really comes down to this: or you have someone to allow games on steam or not, it then depends on how reasonable that someone is, because imagine someone "VNs aren't games" in that position and nobody is totally unbiased, anyway, or you let users decide - meaning greenlight and obviously user votes can be bought with promise of free keys, you don't even have to deliver, just promise, how it have been proven time and again (><)
Or you let selfpublishing run wild and then some really ugly things happen sooner or later, rather sooner and users are unhappy with broken or unfinished games being released on daily basis.
Actually users are never happy either way, no? (><)

imo all valve has to do is actually spend money and fucking hire some people that help accelerate the greenlight filtering process

also allow people a better report process for troll shit so that gets filtered out fast

the community shouldn't be the sole decider of what goes into the store (valve should actually care for its customers and do their best not to screw them and rip them off by letting broken games like slaughtering grounds scam them out of their money) and valve should do a bare minimum curation based on community votes.

i don't think greenlight is awful, it's just like everything else valve does, very much unfinished

As someone who doesn't play Counterstrike or Team Fortress, what are keys and why do people keep asking me for them? :\

Looking on the market I see Mann Co. Supply Crate Key, is that what they're talking about? What does it do? Like I know its in-game something something but why are people so crazy over them lol.

As someone who doesn't play Counterstrike or Team Fortress, what are keys and why do people keep asking me for them? :\

Looking on the market I see Mann Co. Supply Crate Key, is that what they're talking about? What does it do?

They open virtual crates which have a small chance to contain something worth far more than the key or a high chance to contain useless/cheaper stuff. People also use them as a trading currency.

zkylon

zkylewd

Looking on the market I see Mann Co. Supply Crate Key, is that what they're talking about? What does it do? Like I know its in-game something something but why are people so crazy over them lol.

you can get crates dropped during your csgo/tf2/doto games, which can only be opened using keys that you get from the market. when you open a crate you get a random cosmetics for that game

it's basically an awful system for valve to screw people over

also at one point keys were used as currency to trade with russian game trades that got games for cheap and didn't want to use paypal or some shit

Makes sense I guess, almost glad I don't play any of them cause I'd prolly fall down that rabbit hole lol.

I'm bad enough with card/badge collecting I think.

Arthea

imo all valve has to do is actually spend money and fucking hire some people that help accelerate the greenlight filtering process

also allow people a better report process for troll shit so that gets filtered out fast

the community shouldn't be the sole decider of what goes into the store (valve should actually care for its customers and do their best not to screw them and rip them off by letting broken games like slaughtering grounds scam them out of their money) and valve should do a bare minimum curation based on community votes.

i don't think greenlight is awful, it's just like everything else valve does, very much unfinished
I do agree that greenlight could benefit from some moderation, but as greenlight additions aren't exactly cheap, why would valve say no to that money, troll or no, they don't even care, I'm sure;)
What valve could do is have some quality control, I mean if a game is greenlit already and about to be released someone there should check is it really ready for release. But as that means hiring a lot of people and doing a lot of work, that never gonna happen.

zkylon

zkylewd
I do agree that greenlight could benefit from some moderation, but as greenlight additions aren't exactly cheap, why would valve say no to that money, troll or no, they don't even care, I'm sure;)
What valve could do is have some quality control, I mean if a game is greenlit already and about to be released someone there should check is it really ready for release. But as that means hiring a lot of people and doing a lot of work, that never gonna happen.

i like to think valve is not all evil, just really misguided

i think valve should make some guidelines for the bare minimum that's acceptable on steam and the bare minimum that's acceptable on early access, as well as some very important accountability changes so some semblance of release dates are enforced and people don't get scammed out of their money

cos casually looking the other way as valve has been doing is basically being complicit to a lot of people being screwed

so yeah, there's not that many fucking games to double check, just hire a bunch of people to review greenlit games, early access games and games that the community voted as unacceptable.

Arthea

I just noticed that I passed 3K hours of total playtime on steam
the sad part that most of those 3K are idling for cards (._.)

i like to think valve is not all evil, just really misguided

being lazy myself I kinda understand them, why do something that's not necessary? It's better to wait, maybe problem will get tired of waiting and go away by itself, it often does (><)

Valve has been moving more and more towards automation and away from actual hands-on approach and responsibility. So no, they won't hire people and improve the service. Sloppy service provider is sloppy.

zkylon

zkylewd
I just noticed that I passed 3K hours of total playtime on steam
the sad part that most of those 3K are idling for cards (._.)
how do you check this

being lazy myself I kinda understand them, why do something that's not necessary? It's better to wait, maybe problem will get tired of waiting and go away by itself, it often does (><)
they have at the very least a moral responsibility to their costumers, they shouldn't be able to be lazy

Valve has been moving more and more towards automation and away from actual hands-on approach and responsibility. So no, they won't hire people and improve the service. Sloppy service provider is sloppy.
yup, but that's my very simple solution

spend money

don't be fucking greedy just cos you can get away with it

Arthea

how do you check this

they have at the very least a moral responsibility to their costumers, they shouldn't be able to be lazy

yup, but that's my very simple solution

spend money

don't be fucking greedy just cos you can get away with it

playfire shows this, if you are registered.

well, nobody should be lazy, but many of us are and even like it ;)

Valve can't do that, that's not how they roll

zkylon

zkylewd
i mean i'm like fuck so boring brushing my teeth but i still do it twice a day

valve at this point has barely any teeth left

i don't mind if they don't have a great music or streaming feature but they should really prioritize people aren't getting screwed over in their store methinks

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
As this is basically the general PC gaming thread, this might be interesting for some of you. I havent played the games yet, so its not about the actual game quality, but the distribution method:
Pay by Art thread

Fascinating and inspiring.

zkylon

zkylewd
As this is basically the general PC gaming thread, this might be interesting for some of you. I havent played the games yet, so its not about the actual game quality, but the distribution method:
Pay by Art thread

Fascinating and inspiring.

that's really cool, some devs are very creative for stuff like this and it's just win for everyone, good publicity for the dev and it's a nice alternative for people that might feel guilty about pirating the game

Coming off the heels of The Wolf Among Us, I am getting the exact kind of fun with Life is Strange.
Sorry game, I was tired, I didn't mean to fall asleep last night. I'll finish episode 1 tonight, I promise.

Tizoc

Man really wish Falcom would bring more of their older titles onto Steam, like Brandish; we're getting Gurumin and I'm not sure if that game ever had a PC release, but damn does it make me want their games on Steam, especially this one
dinosaur_resurrection_japon.jpg
There are no Dinosaurs in this game; the main villain's name is Dinosaur

Anyone knows if PS+ just for a Vita would be good?

I mainly use my Vita for PSX and PSP games, but the games offered through Plus are nice. Thing is if u go all digital on Vita, a 64 GB won't be enough.
Heck a handful of Vita games I got via Plus, I ended up BUYING their retail copies cuz I had to save up space :p

The steam community hub is still full of bug reports. The same applies to the thread in gaming on GAF.

I only reported that, as it is now, Grim Fandango is full of bugs, not present in the original version.

While it doesn't excuse them, they're prob. handling various projects and are spread thin. Really hope they can fix these bugs once they have staff finishing work on a project or 2 of theirs =X

Arthea

have you guys seen BAFTA nominees thread?
Alien Isolation everywhere!

There are some weird and glaring omissions there

edited: dammit Tizoc, quote that shit, I almost got scared (><)

Ban Puncher

So I bought a Minerva's Den Steam key off ******** and it worked fine.

How infected is my computer now and when will my identity be stolen?

Edit: Oh goody, the sites address is automatically censored by GAF. This should be fun.

It;s like... I know there are all these probably very good games I can be playing. Just tons of classics that I've missed but at the same time I'm just so bummed about the state of video games in general "next gen" has yet to do anything for me.

maybe I need some nintendo in my life. or I can just continue to play ping pong with my gf

forget 'generations' and play more Dark Souls.

10/10

Tizoc

have you guys seen BAFTA nominees thread?
Alien Isolation everywhere!

There are some weird and glaring omissions there

edited: dammit Tizoc, quote that shit, I almost got scared (><)

...and people tell me dudes with their chests exposed doesn't count as NSFW, silly non-SteamGAF GAFfers.

What happened to Gurumin anyway? Wasn't suppose to release in January or my memory is faulty?

I'm not sure when it was even supposed to release, but the radio silence on it after the greenlight business is weird.

Last I read they were working out the kinks so the game can run on PCs at higher resolutions.
It'll likely release this year I think, we just don't know when.

cHinzo

How are the Mass Effect games on Steam. Are they still playable and fun? I'm playing through Deus Ex Human Revolution atm (love it) and I'm searching for more of these big games with rpg elements, an interesting story and great setting.

In Payday 2 related news. I'm excited.
Nice! Really excited what they got for us with the next Infamy perks and masks. Still only Infamy II though, gotta play some more. :d

Arthea

How are the Mass Effect games on Steam. Are they still playable and fun? I'm playing through Deus Ex Human Revolution atm (love it) and I'm searching for more of these big games with rpg elements, an interesting story and great setting.

Mass Effect has only one of those 3 in any significant amounts or level of greatness.
sorry I had to (><)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

The two games have no major issues outside of the first one with some of the additional banter while exploring some areas. The game will trigger the subtitles but not play the necessary audio files.

zkylon

zkylewd
In Payday 2 related news. I'm excited.

alright i'm downloading this game for the seventeenth time

i don't expect this one to last more than the last, but lords knows i try

i feel like a ton of these updates are too high level oriented for me, i just want to shoot stuff with maybe a bit of difficulty and like hostage control. that's all i ever wanted

Mass Effect has only one of those 3 in any significant amounts or level of greatness.
sorry I had to (><)
i'd say they have 3/3, even tho as the series progresses all three aspects take a nosedive

like rpg wise it's pretty simple but it's got a ton of cool characters and relationships for you to build that span several games

the story and the setting are at least for me really fun and interesting and playing captain kirk simulator is great and the reapers were super scary in me1 and that ancient race stuff in me1 too and shit. me1 was amazing

a great series with a shit ton of potential that went to waste unfortunately

tebunker

Banned
Not sure it makes a difference but good for them?

Scores aren't the problem. They never really were.

I think Jeff Gerstmann said it best in that he said the best thing a site can do is differentiat itself with better and different content that rides along with the reviews. I firmly believe that GB quick looks are more popular than any review they've done. I would argue they could get rid of reviews for quick looks and stay just as successful.

Just doing essentially the same thing, long written reviews, but only really changing the score is kind of silly. Change your format, do new and different things, just getting rid of the score isn't enough or the right thing. It's a hey look at us we are doing it like everyone else kind of decision.

Hopefully this doesn't affect USGamer. I would prefer they go and do some thing different like I state above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom